Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 220 released

Comments

• NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    By itself the skulk range nerf isn't too big, but with the huge speed nerf to waljump it is. Skulks lost a lot of their power to attack marines directly. Not to mention being able to have all the upgrades 9 min in while the best alien start and pretty much the only one is fast expand hive drop. This along with better performance this patch adds up to a really huge buff to marines.
  • RedDragonRedDragon Join Date: 2003-01-13 Member: 12240Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but I can't sort the server list by name anymore, if I try after its refreshed, nothing happens. If I refresh it after I've tried sorting it, it just stacks all the servers on top of each other in the list, making a mass of white text.
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    I see people around here saying the skulk bite is fine as it is..... go to a doctor maybe?

Im actually loosing my hopes in this game... due to its bad (BAD I SAY) performance, 2 pinpoint bites do like 0 DAMAGE on a marine for me....... and instead of fixing that, it got nerfed even more... again: go to a doctor maybe?

Guess i'll keep spending my days only on TF2 as long as another patch doesnt come, although i have no confidence it will get any better
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    I haven't been having any issues with the reduced skulk bite distance, by the way. I've always tried to hug marines when I attack to increase my angular velocity, so this new range doesn't really change how I fight.
  • CobraCommanderCobraCommander Join Date: 2012-07-30 Member: 154472Members
    I'm really disappointed with this build. I know the dev is the dev so I still have my hopes up. If not, I'm selling my gifted copy to get some money back. Thanks.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1980918:date=Sep 20 2012, 09:37 PM:name=LUSITANER)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LUSITANER @ Sep 20 2012, 09:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980918"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I see people around here saying the skulk bite is fine as it is..... go to a doctor maybe?

Im actually loosing my hopes in this game... due to its bad (BAD I SAY) performance, 2 pinpoint bites do like 0 DAMAGE on a marine for me....... and instead of fixing that, it got nerfed even more... again: go to a doctor maybe?

Guess i'll keep spending my days only on TF2 as long as another patch doesnt come, although i have no confidence it will get any better<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I feel like I'm syncing my bites better and no longer bite too early like I used to with the 1.5 range.
    The bite, although nerfed, feels more natural and more NS1 like where you actually connected you view model to the marine.
    As was mentioned, giving bite 1.3 and a wider cone like NS1 had would make it perfect in both regards.
  • MorshuMorshu Join Date: 2012-08-13 Member: 155539Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1980960:date=Sep 20 2012, 10:15 PM:name=Onii-chan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Onii-chan @ Sep 20 2012, 10:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980960"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I feel like I'm syncing my bites better and no longer bite too early like I used to with the 1.5 range.
    The bite, although nerfed, feels more natural and more NS1 like where you actually connected you view model to the marine.
    As was mentioned, giving bite 1.3 and a wider cone like NS1 had would make it perfect in both regards.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^
    Make it happen UWE!!!
  • dethovudethovu Join Date: 2009-06-23 Member: 67906Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1980918:date=Sep 20 2012, 02:37 PM:name=LUSITANER)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LUSITANER @ Sep 20 2012, 02:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980918"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Guess i'll keep spending my days only on TF2<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Have fun with your hats.

And if your performance is still that bad, consider upgrading your PC or lowering your settings. Performance is rather nice now on older (circa 2008) computers, as long as you're not asking too much in terms of eye candy and resolution.
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Had a blast playing last night. Performance seemed really good for me too!

Keep up the good work, guys!
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1980971:date=Sep 20 2012, 04:26 PM:name=dethovu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dethovu @ Sep 20 2012, 04:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980971"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Have fun with your hats.

And if your performance is still that bad, consider upgrading your PC or lowering your settings. Performance is rather nice now on older (circa 2008) computers, as long as you're not asking too much in terms of eye candy and resolution.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I still get low fps at times (particularly on maps like docking), and I run a game like BF 3 on high...
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1980971:date=Sep 20 2012, 08:26 PM:name=dethovu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dethovu @ Sep 20 2012, 08:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980971"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Have fun with your hats.

And if your performance is still that bad, consider upgrading your PC or lowering your settings. Performance is rather nice now on older (circa 2008) computers, as long as you're not asking too much in terms of eye candy and resolution.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Always the same ###### talk..... the problem is the GAME, not the PC!!!! I aint upgrade a pc every time i buy a game that is far from optimized, specially if the pc is good enough to handle big games! my setting are already on lowest and it is visually worse than Ns1 that way.....

About the hats, you bet i can have much more fun, especially in highest settings with smooth play... i've never had a frame drop there. oh, and btw, that hat game is actually free, unlike ns2...
  • ChronibisChronibis Join Date: 2012-08-26 Member: 156498Members
    edited September 2012
    major problems with controlling macs and arcs in mineshaft

and i bought a dual exo and the visor never opened so i was completely blind
  • mega_stihlmega_stihl Join Date: 2012-03-25 Member: 149363Members
    edited September 2012
    built 220: my opinion

No disrespect to the devteam, but this patch is the worst I've ever played. Well, since 219 the fps have been improved with 40% on my system, which is awesome, but 220 is not balanced at all.

I don't know if it was like this several patches ago, but the skulk speed is too slow. A marine in sprint can outrun me as a skulk. And they are so slow it's almost impossible to reach a marine. And IF you reach one, your aiming has to be VERY precise to hit, since the hit range has been reduced. Another thing that might need some attention is the lerkbite, which does a little too less damage imo. I am not making these things up, because since 220 I've only seen aliens win ONCE. Even with teams like 7 v 8 (marines v aliens). It is nearly impossible to kill a marine.

What also bothers me is the new damage level 3 lmg sound. It sounds like a gun that's spinning. It's an LMG, not a minigun...

What I also noticed is that when a skulk bites a cyst, it sounds like he's biting metal.

Overall: the skulk was fine the way it was before, but it's ###### now. But the fps improvements are awesome, so is the damage counter (makes it easy to know if your hit counts)

edit: and somehow right now (11PM, GMT +1), I can't see any servers in my server list
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1980987:date=Sep 20 2012, 08:57 PM:name=mega_stihl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mega_stihl @ Sep 20 2012, 08:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980987"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->built 220: my opinion

No disrespect to the devteam, but this patch is the worst I've ever played. Well, since 219 the fps have been improved with 40% on my system, which is awesome, but 220 is not balanced at all.

I don't know if it was like this several patches ago, but the skulk speed is too slow. A marine in sprint can outrun me as a skulk. And they are so slow it's almost impossible to reach a marine. And IF you reach one, your aiming has to be VERY precise to hit, since the hit range has been reduced. Another thing that might need some attention is the lerkbite, which does a little too less damage imo. I am not making these things up, because since 220 I've only seen aliens win ONCE. Even with teams like 7 v 8 (marines v aliens). It is nearly impossible to kill a marine.

What also bothers me is the new damage level 3 lmg sound. It sounds like a gun that's spinning. It's an LMG, not a minigun...

What I also noticed is that when a skulk bites a cyst, it sounds like he's biting metal.

<b>Overall: the skulk was fine the way it was before, but it's ###### now. But the fps improvements are awesome, so is the damage counter (makes it easy to know if your hit counts)</b>

edit: and somehow right now (11PM, GMT +1), I can't see any servers in my server list<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Correction: the skulk was useless, now it is beyond useless "doo-dee", to not say other word....

Now addressed to the UWE, since not everything i do is criticize the bad things, i do like the lvl3 rifle sounds (am i the only one?) and the damage done output..... but maybe the numbers of the damage should be a little smaller?
  • mega_stihlmega_stihl Join Date: 2012-03-25 Member: 149363Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1980988:date=Sep 20 2012, 01:03 PM:name=LUSITANER)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LUSITANER @ Sep 20 2012, 01:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980988"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Correction: the skulk was useless, now it is beyond useless "doo-dee", to not say other word....

Now addressed to the UWE, since not everything i do is criticize the bad things, i do like the lvl3 rifle sounds (am i the only one?) and the damage done output..... but maybe the numbers of the damage should be a little smaller?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I disagree. The damage numbers are fine. I mean, if you need level 1 damage, then level 2 and then level 3 to do eventually 30% more damage, it costs you around 90 res total. The problem is that upgrades have become 5 res cheaper, so marines have level 3 in no time. I liked it the way it was before.

about the level 3 lmg sound. If the gun doesn't spin, it shouldn't sound like it's spinning :p
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2012
    I wouldn't agree the numbers are fine, skulks have a big problem scaling into the lategame the same way marines do with their upgrades. (Which they now get even faster than before, for no real sound reason) It's incredibly unrewarding being stuck as a skulk lategame, while you wait to evolve into a lifeform that still matters at that point of the game (Not lerk or gorge, silly)

The changes to skulk bite range/cone not only upset the balance versus marines early game, they also make it a lot harder for skulks to take on jetpackers, even with leap. (Good luck landing a bite on a moving jp marine with the current bite cone and range) This means they become even worse lategame, even with leap. Heck, needing 4 bites versus A3 marines with the current skulk is the most frustrating experience ever.
  • shadbazeshadbaze Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156891Members
    edited September 2012
    I just played my first few games with the new patch and was really suprised, at first I thought I'm having a really good day. I strafed around the skulks, jumped over them, jumped on them, ran away to reload, didnt die and shot them to death one after another. And I'm a bad player. After 3 games or so I thought something cant be right and joined the aliens. The problem became clear to me when I myself had certain problems to chew on the rines...

I dont mind the other stuff in the update, performance has even got better at steady 60fps on my system, but the Skulk gameplay makes the changes for non-Hardcore, relatively unskilled players like me frustrating. The thing that fascinated me about NS in the first place is that you dont have to be an uber-sharpshooter with an razormouse and reflexes like Jason Bourne to contribute to the team success. And now I cant even defend myself as a skulk. I never really cared about stats, but getting killed time after time while trying to get one lonely marine with an sg is rather frustrating.

Im sure im not the only rather inaccurate and clumsy person that feels that way. :)
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm not totally sure how I feel about the damage numbers. For me, they're incredibly powerful information - maybe too much so. Similar to the way you can tell what upgrade chamber a specific chamber is, I think it might be too much information for players. I can pick and choose which chamber to take down, and if I see that full 220 dmg hit on that fade, I may decide to go for the chase, rather than being unsure as to how low they are. For aliens it's a curse, while a blessing for marines.
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1981006:date=Sep 20 2012, 09:23 PM:name=mega_stihl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mega_stihl @ Sep 20 2012, 09:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981006"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I disagree. The damage numbers are fine. I mean, if you need level 1 damage, then level 2 and then level 3 to do eventually 30% more damage, it costs you around 90 res total. The problem is that upgrades have become 5 res cheaper, so marines have level 3 in no time. I liked it the way it was before.

about the level 3 lmg sound. If the gun doesn't spin, it shouldn't sound like it's spinning :p<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I wasnt even talking about the damage done by weapon levels, i was talking about the font size of the damage numbers that come out when you hit something.

About the lvl 3 sound, it doesnt need to mean the weapon is spinning.... what if the increased force of "spitting out" bullets creates an air whistle? :P
    edited September 2012
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Those numbers shouldnt be there, bullet counting was a skill that took alot of awareness and confidence to master, and this basically completely removes it.
    <!--quoteo(post=1981022:date=Sep 20 2012, 10:00 PM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Sep 20 2012, 10:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981022"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Those numbers shouldnt be there, bullet counting was a skill that took alot of awareness and confidence to master, and this basically completely removes it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Atleast now i know when the game says "nope" or "yep" to my bite that just landed on a marine. Without it, i could really tell that i did 5000 damage and the marine was still healthier than i am
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1981022:date=Sep 20 2012, 06:00 PM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Sep 20 2012, 06:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981022"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Those numbers shouldnt be there, bullet counting was a skill that took alot of awareness and confidence to master, and this basically completely removes it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

truesay
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Those numbers are clientside AFIAK so take them with a grain of salt...
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1980988:date=Sep 21 2012, 12:03 AM:name=LUSITANER)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LUSITANER @ Sep 21 2012, 12:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980988"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Correction: the skulk was useless, now it is beyond useless "doo-dee", to not say other word....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Then why did skulks, on average, have way better K/D ratios compared to marines pre-220 and now seem more normalized?

What's next? Asking for auto-aim?
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Got to play a bit yesterday while I was sick on my day off, I must say the skulk is.. different.
    It took me a bit to get used to, I don't mind it as much now. Except it's very hard to get a bite in if you're on a server with over 120+ ping.
    I saw the twitter update about the lerk, that's good, because the lerk is terrible at the moment :|
    Anyway other than that, I haven't noticed a drop in FPS, still runs fine for me, having a blast with it.
    Keep up the good work :)
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Anything that makes the game harder is good. So nerf to skulk bite is great!
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1981017:date=Sep 20 2012, 05:57 PM:name=Shaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shaker @ Sep 20 2012, 05:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981017"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not totally sure how I feel about the damage numbers. For me, they're incredibly powerful information - maybe too much so. Similar to the way you can tell what upgrade chamber a specific chamber is, I think it might be too much information for players. I can pick and choose which chamber to take down, and if I see that full 220 dmg hit on that fade, I may decide to go for the chase, rather than being unsure as to how low they are. For aliens it's a curse, while a blessing for marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree, but I don't mind that so much.

I just wish the numbers wouldn't be right on top of the skulk I'm trying to shoot. I can't even use them because they interfere with aiming. Why are the damage numbers so close to the thing you're trying to shoot? :(
  • dethovudethovu Join Date: 2009-06-23 Member: 67906Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1980980:date=Sep 20 2012, 04:48 PM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Sep 20 2012, 04:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980980"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I still get low fps at times (particularly on maps like docking), and I run a game like BF 3 on high...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1980984:date=Sep 20 2012, 04:53 PM:name=LUSITANER)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LUSITANER @ Sep 20 2012, 04:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980984"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Always the same ###### talk..... the problem is the GAME, not the PC!!!! I aint upgrade a pc every time i buy a game that is far from optimized, specially if the pc is good enough to handle big games! my setting are already on lowest and it is visually worse than Ns1 that way.....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It escapes me why people continue to compare Spark to not only entirely different games, but other game engines that have matured over years and years with testing by millions of people and that were developed by a team 100 times the size of UWE.

If you're playing on a older PC, you're going to get frame drops. You shouldn't be expecting 60 frames a second on a computer that is X number of years older than the game it is trying to play.

I have NS2 running on an old 5600+ x2 dual core with a 8800GT and it runs just fine and has no more slow down than would be expected of such a cpu intensive, close quarters FPS game like NS2 - not to mention that is running a gaming engine that was written by one person. One. Person.

<!--quoteo(post=1980984:date=Sep 20 2012, 04:53 PM:name=LUSITANER)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LUSITANER @ Sep 20 2012, 04:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980984"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->About the hats, you bet i can have much more fun, especially in highest settings with smooth play... i've never had a frame drop there. oh, and btw, that hat game is actually free, unlike ns2...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why are you playing NS2, then? Go play with your hats on your gaming engine that is TEN YEARS OLD that you're trying to compare NS2 to. I wouldn't expect anything less than smooth gameplay from TF2, even on a calculator. Also, TF2 wasn't free for the first FOUR YEARS.

NS2 has come a long way with performance, and it will only get better. But, with that said:

Upgrade your PC. It's what PC gamers have been doing for faster framerates since...forever.
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    vs a bad player bite nerf isnt noticable, vs a moderate one who has learned the power of jumping like a lunatic good luck. Especially once armour 2 is up and you need those extra bites in you're all but worthless as a skulk. Relegated to biting once or twice and jumping away after an 'ambush' on a solo marine. Really need to improve both the bite cone, the marine hitbox and skulk movement. As is Id rather go terrible lerk than stay as a skulk.