wall-jump is a slap in the face of NS1 vets

hotd0ghotd0g Join Date: 2004-03-19 Member: 27419Members
I constantly find myself trying to bunnyhop as a skulk but unable to. Wall jump is useless and will continue to be so. Put bunnyhop in for skulk and we will all be happy. I know this is a trademark of the HL1 engine but i'm sure you can simulate it on Spark as well.

Comments

• TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    You must me new here.

We settled the bunnyhopping argument months coming on years ago now. You're not going to accomplish anything beyond self-gratification by complaining about it. UWE isn't bringing it back, and you can either help come up with new ideas to replace it, learn to deal with the fact that it isn't in NS2, or go back to playing NS1 if it's absolutely essential to you.

Or, of course, make a mod when the game comes out.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Players now actively request that bugs and exploits be added to games.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1976365:date=Sep 12 2012, 10:59 AM:name=hotd0g)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hotd0g @ Sep 12 2012, 10:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1976365"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I constantly find myself trying to bunnyhop as a skulk but unable to. Wall jump is useless and will continue to be so. Put bunnyhop in for skulk and we will all be happy. I know this is a trademark of the HL1 engine but i'm sure you can simulate it on Spark as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nope, not going to happen.
  • goblingoblin Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31412Members
    go play ns1, it's free
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Just put all movement mechanics known to men into the skulk and let players have fun with it.
  • Mr R0YB0T 0Mr R0YB0T 0 Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72972Members
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SLCGdD_VK0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SLCGdD_VK0</a>

That is how wall jumping was at one point. I think it may be broken now but it definitely looks useful in that tutorial video.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    I loved bunnyhopping as much as anyone back in the day but this isn't ns1. it's not a "slap in the face" to anyone, thats just your ego talking.

I like the idea of wall jumping, but it still needs some work to become a bit more intuitive.
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd like to see the limit of 9 increased back to somewhere around 12. Currently there is no use of walljump, as bouncing on the walls takes more time than walking in a straight line. Especially if you have carapace, building up the speed just takes too long. It's useless.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This 'you must be new here' crap is getting anoyying now, please stop. Also wall jump is broken atm, give it time, it may become a good feature in the future
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1976398:date=Sep 12 2012, 12:02 PM:name=ellnic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ellnic @ Sep 12 2012, 12:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1976398"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This 'you must be new here' crap is getting anoyying now, please stop. Also wall jump is broken atm, give it time, it may become a good feature in the future<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you don't like it, don't read it. As long as people keep walking in here expressing their extreme ignorance as if it were a fact, there will be people to tell them that things work differently around here. It's usually fairly obvious which threads are started by people talking out of their bums, so if you hate hearing this so much you should just steer clear of them.

The whole forum doesn't need to change itself to suit your preferences, and if you really think it's such a terrible thing, then you should take a stand and make a thread listing your reasons instead of just complaining about it and expecting that to work.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1976397:date=Sep 13 2012, 03:01 AM:name=Skie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skie @ Sep 13 2012, 03:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1976397"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd like to see the limit of 9 increased back to somewhere around 12. Currently there is no use of walljump, as bouncing on the walls takes more time than walking in a straight line. Especially if you have carapace, building up the speed just takes too long. It's useless.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Are you sure theres a speed limit this build? I have not experienced it. Or are you talking about the internal builds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    <!--quoteo(post=1976409:date=Sep 12 2012, 12:26 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Sep 12 2012, 12:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1976409"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you sure theres a speed limit this build? I have not experienced it. Or are you talking about the internal builds.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Recent dev tweet said it's capped at 9 now
  • cryptcrypt Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28091Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1976409:date=Sep 12 2012, 12:26 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Sep 12 2012, 12:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1976409"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you sure theres a speed limit this build? I have not experienced it. Or are you talking about the internal builds.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    From the tweets:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Regarding wall-jumping needing to be "fixed": you can currently attain speeds of ~9 (base speed 7), no longer 20-50. I think this is good.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • supsusupsu Join Date: 2012-04-24 Member: 151023Members, Squad Five Blue
    I really don't understand the hate towards bunnyhop, it was a lovely thing and I'm sad that we won't be seeing it until uwe realizes how clumsy the movement mechanics are in ns2. Skulks just feel so clumsy now which just makes me want to puke every time I play with it. Also playing as a marine makes my face look like this :|

Also everyone who argue that we don't need skill based movement for this game makes my face look like this :DASKWADJAWD
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Wall-jumping is awesome. Looks cool as hell, too. Compared to bunnyhop atleast.

It's just not working right now. It needs more oomph.
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    You have many faces, supsu.

I do miss the bunnyhops as well.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1976397:date=Sep 12 2012, 06:01 PM:name=Skie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skie @ Sep 12 2012, 06:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1976397"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd like to see the limit of 9 increased back to somewhere around 12. Currently there is no use of walljump, as bouncing on the walls takes more time than walking in a straight line. Especially if you have carapace, building up the speed just takes too long. It's useless.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The tweet is a lie. The hard cap is 11.75.

Agree with the other posters that just walljumping is not cutting it. Combining it with bunnyhopping and proper goldsrc air control would be frickin amazing.

Also lol at thread title. Flayra slapz u with hiz walljumpz.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    zups <33

I would love to see bunnyhop combined with wallhop :(
  • blindblind Join Date: 2010-04-17 Member: 71437Members, Squad Five Gold
    Supporting dux who supports supsu.
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1976429:date=Sep 12 2012, 09:08 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Sep 12 2012, 09:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1976429"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The tweet is a lie. The hard cap is 11.75.

Agree with the other posters that just walljumping is not cutting it. Combining it with bunnyhopping and proper goldsrc air control would be frickin amazing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, 9 is not a hard cap, but it's what's possible to attain with some difficulty. About 3-4 successful walljumps in a row. But even that is difficult to maintain.
  • Jon-AceJon-Ace Join Date: 2009-06-13 Member: 67817Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Regarding wall-jumping needing to be "fixed": you can currently attain speeds of ~9 (base speed 7), no longer 20-50. I think this is good.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Too bad it's useless in its current form.
  • KaptajnKLOKaptajnKLO Join Date: 2012-06-25 Member: 153658Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1976438:date=Sep 12 2012, 08:44 PM:name=Jon-Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jon-Ace @ Sep 12 2012, 08:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1976438"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Too bad it's useless in its current form.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You gain a bit of an increase in speed, how is that useless? Isn't that what it's supposed to do? What more do you want it to do?
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    What is the risk of adding bunny hop back in? New players won't know how to do it? ...who cares? Creating a big skill cap between new players and vets? ...isn't that the whole idea of a skill-based game?

Sorry I've been here for a long time and this discussion has progressed not at all in that time. Something should be done proactively about it
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1976447:date=Sep 12 2012, 07:56 PM:name=fmpone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fmpone @ Sep 12 2012, 07:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1976447"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What is the risk of adding bunny hop back in? New players won't know how to do it? ...who cares? Creating a big skill cap between new players and vets? ...isn't that the whole idea of a skill-based game?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is actually pretty interesting question right now. Certainly bhop has a lot of controversial thingys in it, but does it have something that the wallhop didn't already include?
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1976451:date=Sep 12 2012, 03:03 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Sep 12 2012, 03:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1976451"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is actually pretty interesting question right now. Certainly bhop has a lot of controversial thingys in it, but does it have something that the wallhop didn't already include?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The argument is that bunny hop can just "start out of nowhere" and that walljump makes more sense because it "starts on a wall and doesn't go on indefinitely."

The problems bunnyhop had are miniscule, walljump is far more flawed in comparison. It rarely works technically speaking, it ONLY works when walls are around, it feels more annoying fighting a skulk bouncing around on walls than a skulk who moves slightly faster until his momentum-generation is halted, wall-jumping is skill-less and spammy, etc
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    walljumping will always be inferior because maps are never going to be built around it. Unlike bunnyhop, walljump depends on so many variables that it is impossible in some places and way overpowered in others. It's also not very predictable, unlike bunnyhop. Predictability is what makes skill-based movement what it is, walljump by itself without any other movement mechanics is a waste and should either be removed for another mechanic or paired together with bunnyhop like in warsow.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Repeating myself:

One big problem with wall jumping is the discontinuous efficiency curve. If you jump say 0.2 second too late you get maybe 50% bonus, 0.1 second gives you 70% and 0.001s 100%. If you jump 0.00001 seconds too early however you get 0%.

This discontinuity and asymmetry makes it much more difficult to learn, and make it appear buggy.

About the mouse movement, I'm not sure what it optimal. But my guess is that if you want to maximize the jump distance you have to look completely up when you press jump, in order to get closer to the optimal 45 degree angle.

Maybe it would be more intuitive if looking 45 degree up would be optimal.

<a href="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/61/Ideal_projectile_motion_for_different_angles.svg/512px-Ideal_projectile_motion_for_different_angles.svg.png" target="_blank">http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm..._angles.svg.png</a>
  • cryptcrypt Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28091Members, Constellation
    Just wait for a custom-mod and hopefully at somepoint so many people will like it to have it included in the game.
  • hamham Join Date: 2011-08-31 Member: 119370Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1976451:date=Sep 12 2012, 11:03 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Sep 12 2012, 11:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1976451"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is actually pretty interesting question right now. Certainly bhop has a lot of controversial thingys in it, but does it have something that the wallhop didn't already include?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Outside of the practicality arguments, air acceleration is the foundation on which all skill based movement is based. A decisive diagnosis of the problem is complicated because who is to say what the "golden number" is?
  • DuskDusk Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106114Members, Constellation
    It's time to get over your glory days and learn to wall jump. B hopping is dead and gone and even CS GO got rid of it. I think UWE has been more than fair by adding wall hopping.