Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 218 released

13»

Comments

• ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Unfortunately 218 is still the "8 minute game". If marines have not won by 8 minutes and are killing eggs in the only hive on the map, aliens are going to win. Denial of the second hive is the absolute only way marines will win this game (assuming both teams are equal in skill). This is a huge issue for the competitive future of the game. The issue has several layers - some has to do with slow marine upgrade rate compared to how quickly the alien strength boils over. Marines have to win in the skulk game.

The main issues are as follows and happen as soon as that second hive is grown:

Dirt cheap Khaamander eggs. Once a second hive is grown, even 3 RTs is enough to keep a healthy flow of fades. You can be extremely risky and easy harass and push back marines, allowing you to expand your RTs easily.

Fade swipe is too fast, their DPS is simply too high. Rather than hit and run, you can hithithit and run - usually killing a marine. Fades usually roll out before marines have much of any upgrades, even with fast expand, you would be lucky to have 1/1. This wouldn't be so terrible if not for the point above.

Leap = supreme map control. A skulk can quickly move across the map and attack RTs anywhere.

This all gets compounded by things like alien structures growing themselves without needing to use a player body and time. The nerf to sprint just makes that worse.
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    UWE, remember to throw a drop shadow or black glow around those load-screen text hints so the white text doesn't blend into light-colored backgrounds, like in the example you tweeted about.
  • KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1972967:date=Sep 6 2012, 11:10 AM:name=Shaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shaker @ Sep 6 2012, 11:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972967"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This all gets compounded by things like alien structures growing themselves without needing to use a player body and time. The nerf to sprint just makes that worse.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is what I've been trying to make a forum account for months to say. (The forum refused to give me a working account, but I FINALLY fixed it. RAGH.)

Anyway, Marines have to secure and hold areas while building the stuff that the Commander drops (which leaves them vulnerable). Aliens only have to keep Marines away from where the Khammander is building. That means that even in a match where both sides have an equal number of players, Marines are outnumbered because some of them will have to be devoted to building and repair. It also means that Aliens can always be on the offensive while Marines risk a lot by devoting to an assault. A single Skulk can take down an unguarded Marine base, but a single Marine will have a hell of a time bringing down a Hive by himself. Whips, Hydras, Alien's wave spawning, and lack of ammo are all large factors. There's also the fact that any Alien unit can bring down a solo Exo. A Marine can't solo higher lifeforms unless the Alien is borderline retarded.

Beyond early game, Marines are both outnumbered and outgunned. An Exo train supported by a few Marines and MACs can just march through the map and annihilate every Alien Hive in short order, yes, but it takes a ridiculous amount of Tres, Pres, and time to get all of the tech for that.

I've seen coordinated Aliens win games in under a minute (They all rush together and wipe one side; then hit the Marine base with 1-2 Skulks spawn camping the IP until the power goes down. Even if the other Marines try and return to base, if they're dispatched then that's game right there. If the Marines manage to miraculously defeat that first rush, the Aliens haven't really lost much because the Marines have to go back and resecure/build/repair everything), and I've never seen a Marine win that happened because of the Marine's skill. It always comes down to how many mistakes the Alien team makes. The biggest one being that they aren't aggressive enough and content themselves with having four Fades and two Onos doing nothing but derping around near the Hive instead of rushing a Marine base.

Edit: Also, because of both how spawning works and the fact that Marines need to maintain their equipment; the less players in a server, the stronger the Aliens are. Marines have to work closely with the Commander to get anything notable accomplished (which isn't a problem) but Aliens only need a good Khamm to win (which is)
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1972976:date=Sep 6 2012, 10:27 PM:name=Daphisto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daphisto @ Sep 6 2012, 10:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972976"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->UWE, remember to throw a drop shadow or black glow around those load-screen text hints so the white text doesn't blend into light-colored backgrounds, like in the example you tweeted about.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Also please go back to the loading screen that faded from artwork to artwork, its much easier to wait with that instead of looking at just one piece of art and a spinning thing.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    And serverside custom loading music.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsUXAEzaC3Q&t=1m09s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsUXAEzaC3Q&t=1m09s</a>
  • Banzai¥Banzai¥ Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143902Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1972984:date=Sep 6 2012, 02:42 PM:name=Kopikat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kopikat @ Sep 6 2012, 02:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972984"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is what I've been trying to make a forum account for months to say. (The forum refused to give me a working account, but I FINALLY fixed it. RAGH.)

Anyway, Marines have to secure and hold areas while building the stuff that the Commander drops (which leaves them vulnerable). Aliens only have to keep Marines away from where the Khammander is building. That means that even in a match where both sides have an equal number of players, Marines are outnumbered because some of them will have to be devoted to building and repair. It also means that Aliens can always be on the offensive while Marines risk a lot by devoting to an assault. A single Skulk can take down an unguarded Marine base, but a single Marine will have a hell of a time bringing down a Hive by himself. Whips, Hydras, Alien's wave spawning, and lack of ammo are all large factors. There's also the fact that any Alien unit can bring down a solo Exo. A Marine can't solo higher lifeforms unless the Alien is borderline retarded.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think that's just the burden of what the dev-team has done to aliens. It went from (Gorge builds>) Kham & Gorge cysting and healing> Drifters (AI) building with Gorge/Kham cysting> Kham building and cysting. It was made worse when cysts were given time-caps to prevent quick RT expansions and spam.
    I really think that sprint needs to be removed though; as of now Marines have Phase-gates, Beacons, and Jet packs to quickly get from one area to the other while aliens only have celerity (which Marines could still catch up to in speed) and Blink which is tied exclusively to one life-form.

@Iept Would love that as well.
  • suicidal_bananasuicidal_banana Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158112Members
    Tryed again today, still had same issues, so i went for a complete reinstall.
    Now all problems seem to be gone (it still hogs memory, but now it doesnt really seem to be a problem anymore)

for the record (tho ye, issues resolved trough reinstall) my specs are
    win 7 64b
    q6600 @ 2,8ghz
    msi 'twin frozr 2' gtx 580
    8gb ram
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1972967:date=Sep 6 2012, 02:10 PM:name=Shaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shaker @ Sep 6 2012, 02:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972967"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Unfortunately 218 is still the "8 minute game". If marines have not won by 8 minutes and are killing eggs in the only hive on the map, aliens are going to win.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Don't know what you've been smoking, but this is the exact same situations aliens find themselves in. Aliens have to win in 8 minutes otherwise marines start spamming jetpacks and exo.

Fully teched up marines > fully teched up aliens. Its been a fact for last 20+ builds, just aliens tech out quicker.
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1973148:date=Sep 6 2012, 07:23 PM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Sep 6 2012, 07:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973148"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Don't know what you've been smoking, but this is the exact same situations aliens find themselves in. Aliens have to win in 8 minutes otherwise marines start spamming jetpacks and exo.

Fully teched up marines > fully teched up aliens. Its been a fact for last 20+ builds, just aliens tech out quicker.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're saying essentially the same thing as me in the first 2 sentences. Yes, aliens need to get their second hive in 8 minutes or they lose. That's exactly what I said. If the second hive is up at 8 minutes, the aliens are going to win.

Saying full teched up marines > full teched up aliens is hilarious and untrue. A L3 sg/jp marine is easy for a fade to take down and if the marine loses their 30 res, they are hurt for quite awhile. If the fade dies in the process, the khaam can put up another fade egg in less than a minute, even on 3 RTs. On 5 RT's its every 25-30 seconds. Plus a marine tech tree takes a long time to get rolling and has a lot of late game dumps. Once aliens have done spur=celerity, hive 2, leap, spur=adrenaline, blink, shell=regen - there is nothing else to spend on res on except RT's and cysts. This means that you can dump nearly all your res into fade eggs for the rest of the game.
  • KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1973216:date=Sep 6 2012, 05:09 PM:name=Shaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shaker @ Sep 6 2012, 05:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973216"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're saying essentially the same thing as me in the first 2 sentences. Yes, aliens need to get their second hive in 8 minutes or they lose. That's exactly what I said. If the second hive is up at 8 minutes, the aliens are going to win.

Saying full teched up marines > full teched up aliens is hilarious and untrue. A L3 sg/jp marine is easy for a fade to take down and if the marine loses their 30 res, they are hurt for quite awhile. If the fade dies in the process, the khaam can put up another fade egg in less than a minute, even on 3 RTs. On 5 RT's its every 25-30 seconds.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It actually is kind of true. I've had games where the ENTIRE Marine team went Exo and the Comm kept up the bases and supported the Exo train with MACs alone. Aliens got wrecked.
  • UzielUziel Join Date: 2011-09-21 Member: 122469Members
    good bye mac trains :D
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1972777:date=Sep 6 2012, 02:29 PM:name=wiry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wiry @ Sep 6 2012, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972777"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...

specs or no help, capice?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->I need to be nicer.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    LUSITANER, we can only help you if you provide us with more info, like your system specs, performance logs, error logs.

We can't help you, if you don't provide us with info.
  • nightznightz Join Date: 2010-07-11 Member: 72317Members
    Please, just please implement server queuing. It sucks to refresh the entire list all the time just to get into a good server.
  • LigisttomtenLigisttomten Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158340Members
    I can't seem to hear marines running anymore, only when they sprint. Same problem even if I play as a marine, can't hear my own foosteps. Makes it really difficult to play with ninja marines everywhere.
  • deaglecrazydeaglecrazy Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73106Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1972459:date=Sep 6 2012, 03:07 AM:name=Nukoe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nukoe @ Sep 6 2012, 03:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972459"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Disappointed you left gas as a two hive ability. No point in playing a Lerk as it stands. No commander really purchases spores, and spikes aren't very good. What's the point of a Lerk when you can easily get as many kills or more with a Skulk? Think about that one, it's pointless. Gas allows you to act as support, which is what they're meant to to do...not act as a mediocre flying Skulk.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Completely agree. I got really good using the spores and bite at the same time for many builds (with much practice), now all of a sudden I feel useless as a lerk and find myself not evolving to my once before favorite alien all because I can do the same dmg with the skulk but not waste resources :(

O also please add first person spectating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Makes the game so much more exciting when you die and can spectate your fellow teammates first person as they're battling their way to try and win the game
  • KasperleKasperle Join Date: 2004-09-29 Member: 31990Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1973542:date=Sep 7 2012, 09:29 AM:name=nightz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nightz @ Sep 7 2012, 09:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973542"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please, just please implement server queuing. It sucks to refresh the entire list all the time just to get into a good server.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Use menumod it has at least an auto retry option ;) : <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=113246" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=113246</a>
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1973572:date=Sep 7 2012, 03:38 PM:name=deaglecrazy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (deaglecrazy @ Sep 7 2012, 03:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973572"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->O also please add first person spectating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Makes the game so much more exciting when you die and can spectate your fellow teammates first person as they're battling their way to try and win the game<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We reeeeally want to, and definitely plan on adding it, but it is a lot more technically challenging and time consuming then it may seem. With the amount of work left to get the rest of the game in shape for release, we just can't afford the time to put this in, but it will certainly be a priority immediately after 1.0 ships.

--Cory
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1973597:date=Sep 7 2012, 06:04 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Sep 7 2012, 06:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973597"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We reeeeally want to, and definitely plan on adding it, but it is a lot more technically challenging and time consuming then it may seem. With the amount of work left to get the rest of the game in shape for release, we just can't afford the time to put this in, but it will certainly be a priority immediately after 1.0 ships.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I really do hope you get your anti-cheat setup into good shape for 1.0 then. Things might get really ugly otherwise.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Yep we're adding checksumming for Lua code shortly, that will be first step for anti-cheat.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1973807:date=Sep 8 2012, 01:53 AM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Sep 8 2012, 01:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973807"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yep we're adding checksumming for Lua code shortly, that will be first step for anti-cheat.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Please don't do this until you've significantly expanded the options menu.
  • darkfictiondarkfiction Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75677Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1972984:date=Sep 6 2012, 07:42 PM:name=Kopikat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kopikat @ Sep 6 2012, 07:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972984"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[...]There's also the fact that any Alien unit can bring down a solo Exo. A Marine can't solo higher lifeforms unless the Alien is borderline retarded.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would really love to meet the alien that can solo me as an exo (Armor3 Damage3)... 1 Minigun vs an Onos is a challenge if the onos gets first hit, but if I see him coming and get some shots in first it's lights-out Onos. If I have dual mini-gun I can and have easily solo'ed or with minimal support 2 Onos (if I get first hit) or a ridiculous number of skulks gorges and fades. With a Mac I'm invincible... I seriously doubt that every alien I've encountered is borderline retarded - probably most but not all.

I also make no assertions that I'm the best Exo either... I'm sure there are better. The Exo suit is just that OP, 2 dual minigun Exos can storm through a map devastating hive after hive until the game is over.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1975050:date=Sep 10 2012, 11:23 AM:name=darkfiction)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darkfiction @ Sep 10 2012, 11:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1975050"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would really love to meet the alien that can solo me as an exo (Armor3 Damage3)... 1 Minigun vs an Onos is a challenge if the onos gets first hit, but if I see him coming and get some shots in first it's lights-out Onos. If I have dual mini-gun I can and have easily solo'ed or with minimal support 2 Onos (if I get first hit) or a ridiculous number of skulks gorges and fades. With a Mac I'm invincible... I seriously doubt that every alien I've encountered is borderline retarded - probably most but not all.

I also make no assertions that I'm the best Exo either... I'm sure there are better. The Exo suit is just that OP, 2 dual minigun Exos can storm through a map devastating hive after hive until the game is over.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think Lerk could be a good bet for that lifeform. Higher level Lerk players are very hard to hit, and our Umbra gives us a nice cushion to switch our evasive pattern or retreat to heal if/when you manage to start successfully tracking us. 1v1 I think I could take out an Exo as a Lerk, as long as I didn't have to do it immediately in a single engagement.
  • ChronibisChronibis Join Date: 2012-08-26 Member: 156498Members
    edited September 2012
    Having problems placing cysts in ns_veil from sub sector north on the west end of the map and from cargo to pipeline as well.

Resource node cyst missing at sub for aliens at the beginning of ns_summit too.

And ns_tram loads forever for me, and in the console there is a ton of error messages. I actually have to use task manager to exit then reload.

I've noticed a bug with the floor going all glitchy for the marine commander, the initial infantry portal not spawning and buildings not placing properly in terminal on ns_tram as well
  • ChronibisChronibis Join Date: 2012-08-26 Member: 156498Members
    edited September 2012
    Just managed to put the game on high resolution windowed mode but the window has extended beyond where my mouse can reach and now I cant change it back. So the screen is zoomed in 2x. You guys might want to put keyboard commands to navigate the options menus or something... It took a few minutes but I managed to fix it by raising my desktop resolution.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    cant play in 1920x1080 windowed as com, the mouse movement cuts off on the bottom and cannot navigate correctly. works fine fullscreen tho. just a heads up
  • PooptronixPooptronix Join Date: 2012-08-02 Member: 154590Members
    Noob vs Veteran Servers (especially on launch day)!

(Just watched the live developer Q/A)
    With a flood of new players, most experienced players are going to be very frustrated in servers saturated with noobs.
    It would be great to have some way of showing the 'average user-play-time' in a server. ;) Being able to sort by that would be way cool. ;)

The server list needs more cool things like valve games have. Filters, etc:
    - Not Full
    - >% and <% full ? AKA: >50% and <%100 :)
    - <Ping
    - >Average User-Play-Time (Hours) (*wink*)
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Also the sound option bug, keeps resetting back to default and you have to go in there everytime and fiddle with the sliders again and hit apply.
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1976000:date=Sep 11 2012, 05:26 PM:name=Pooptronix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pooptronix @ Sep 11 2012, 05:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1976000"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Noob vs Veteran Servers (especially on launch day)!

(Just watched the live developer Q/A)
    With a flood of new players, most experienced players are going to be very frustrated in servers saturated with noobs.
    It would be great to have some way of showing the 'average user-play-time' in a server. ;) Being able to sort by that would be way cool. ;)

The server list needs more cool things like valve games have. Filters, etc:
    - Not Full
    - >% and <% full ? AKA: >50% and <%100 :)
    - <Ping
    - >Average User-Play-Time (Hours) (*wink*)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sadly there is really nothing anyone can do "fix" this. But theres a lot being done by the community to help....... And something a group of us cooked up that I will talk about some other time *wink*.

With some good admins and some<b><i> diligent players wanting to teach</i></b>, I don't think it will be that bad.
  • NessNess Join Date: 2002-12-17 Member: 10935Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Just a shout out to say I played NS1 for years and I finally feel like NS2 is offering that great same sort of experience after these last few patches. Congratulations on the upcoming release guys, you really deserve all the success I hope it brings. This is the highest quality multiplayer indie game I've ever seen. Cheers!