Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 217 ("Titanium") changelog

Comments

• Cat-PokerCat-Poker Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156670Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1967864:date=Aug 28 2012, 08:20 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Aug 28 2012, 08:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967864"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What is going on with walljump?

Is it now intended to stack up negative vertical velocity so you are not able to chainjump on walls and built up speed properly?

At least It feels like that, the harder i try to walljump without touching the ground in between - the harder the game wants to smash me back on the ground and not allow me to do so properly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Is wall-jumping dead? That is GREAT news!
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What I can think of right now:

Bad:
    -Aliens seem to have worsened (or the same) FPS, while marines massively improved, feels like aliens got 1/2 of marines FPS!
    -Why change com UI? It was so nice and now everything is so confusing cos it's new. (Not saying the new is bad!)
    -Make alert key not left Alt.
    -(possible bug) Giving med/ammo ###### the server up a bit in, jamming up and delaying all com actions by like 30s, seems to go away by re-entering.
    -RTS controls still feel sluggish/bugged, need to become "tightened" like in regular RTS:es!
    -Parasite still can't mark buildings.

Good:
    -Nametags are the best so far, and no more progress bars, but immersive builder indicator! BUT! NS1 still had it best with the rings at the base!
    -Performance and EXO ofc!
    -The outlines around models is REALLY good. (Careful though so valve doesn't do like Apple and SUES YOUR ASS for "copying"!)
  • Gravity GraveGravity Grave California Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148556Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Monkey now randomize moves to better mimic actual players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't like the sound of this one bit!!

P.S.: Thanks for fixing the hitch lag and adding so many cool features.
  • greenpeegreenpee Join Date: 2012-04-10 Member: 150218Members
    edited August 2012
    Three things I have problems with: A) Commander can't see health of his units anymore... what? B) Alt+Click is ping now? So my mic will be keyed every time I ping? Stick to Shift+Click C) Did my skulk get fatter? I seem to lose all momentum when trying to get onto a wall, and when I jump off of it, I feel like I'm falling to the ground too quickly. Plus, the skulk <i>feels</i> slower, I don't know if he is, but it certainly feels that way.

edit: That said, great patch.
  • Raptor091288Raptor091288 Join Date: 2002-07-15 Member: 955Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Last few updates have had some major performance increases for me, specifically 216 (Possibly a sooner one, I've hardly played much in the past few weeks before today), and 217 seems about the same, maybe a tiny bit better. I can get acceptable framerates with every detail turned on excluding atmospherics, though it still looks amazing and performs even better with all of the details off. Atmospherics is THE framerate killer for me right now, but honestly the game looks (and runs) better than any other game I've played recently even without that.

I'm also loving the new grenade launcher... 216 was kind of blah because it was just a placeholder and you couldn't see how much ammo you had. 217 is just amazing and exactly what I'd expect out of an updated NS1 grenade launcher.

Is there any plan on adding a slight delay on the light for exosuits? Seems like it can be a super bright strobe light as it is right now. Though the brightness isn't really an issue, and I personally don't think being able to spam it is either (Not like it gives some weird advantage or anything), but hey. Is there a small glare effect if you have your details maxed out while looking directly at an exosuit or marine flashlight? I'd love to see an effect like that, but it should just be noticeable and not actually blinding or anything.

Q being 'need ammo' (or was it health?) wasn't the best idea either, more than a few commanders have been annoyed by people spamming it despite being full.

And lastly, actually talking about the exosuits: Mechwarrior vs Zerg. Best way I can describe it, it's nothing short of amazing. Whether it's circling an exosuit as a lone skulk and managing to kill it or fighting off a carapace onos with your dual miniguns, I'm loving every part of them. Except how short the torso is, sitting cross-legged or something? Also how long before we get railguns, and is there any plan on changing how their weapons work? I figured they'd work more like regular marines weapons in that you can swap them out, but as they are now you have to buy either single or dual miniguns and that's what you get until you die. Lastly, will there ever be a way to leave an exosuit without dying? Personally I think it would be hilarious if you popped out of your exosuit with zero armor and nothing but an axe if your suit was destroyed.

Also, anyone else notice you can fire your dual miniguns indefinitely if you time it right? Granted you do less total damage over the time it takes to fully overheat once, but the zero downtime and slight overlap is pretty awesome.
  • dethovudethovu Join Date: 2009-06-23 Member: 67906Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1967939:date=Aug 28 2012, 10:57 PM:name=[R8]DJBourgeoisie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ([R8]DJBourgeoisie @ Aug 28 2012, 10:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967939"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    I wish I could play NS2 without power nodes, sieges instead of arcs, less re-searchable upgrades/abilities<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds like you just need to stick with NS1 :P
  • bLink`bLink` Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146506Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    What's the reason why Fades can't blink left, right, or backwards anymore? I hated it when it was like that like before :( my movements are always forward now with blink.
  • WarmongerWarmonger Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13126Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1967856:date=Aug 28 2012, 09:07 PM:name=NeoRussia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoRussia @ Aug 28 2012, 09:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967856"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Veil is great. It's an example of how maps should be made from now on.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I wholeheartedly agree. Huge props to FMPONE for recreating Veil and doing such a phenomenal job. I was as giddy as a school girl the first time I loaded it up. What memories that map brings back...
  • PerestroikaPerestroika Join Date: 2011-07-24 Member: 111955Members, NS2 Map Tester
    it does seem like everyone forgot arcs exist

I saw a few macs though

could be just everyone going "OMG EXO"
  • havok?havok? Join Date: 2012-05-22 Member: 152462Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1967913:date=Aug 28 2012, 10:20 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Aug 28 2012, 10:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967913"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Desperately need some way to turn the "dynamic" music off. That is annoying the hell out of me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1000
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Just lower the music bar in the options menu to zero?
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    Doesn't help. My music bar has allways been on 0. :]
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1967885:date=Aug 29 2012, 01:41 AM:name=Industry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Industry @ Aug 29 2012, 01:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967885"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ran around on mineshaft to take a look at the changes. Seems like Ore Extraction pretty much became the only viable 2nd hive as drill repair is too close to operations still and refinery transfer is past ore extraction. The right side of the map seems even more barren than before. I'll have to play a few matches on it but seems a bit off.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, the 217 version of Mineshaft was just phase one of the reworking. The next phase is moving Drill Repair to be further way from Operations, around where the mining cart tunnel is, which should help make it more of a viable second hive option.
    <!--quoteo(post=1967901:date=Aug 29 2012, 02:03 AM:name=Khyron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Khyron @ Aug 29 2012, 02:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967901"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[*]Removing marine health/armour info from the commander's view. Was this intentional (a balance change)? It also makes the Cmdr's job harder.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This was an unintended change. They somehow were removed shortly before the patch went out, and were overlooked in the flurry of activity to fix all the other bugs so that 217 could ship.

--Cory
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1968024:date=Aug 29 2012, 03:58 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Aug 29 2012, 03:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968024"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just lower the music bar in the options menu to zero?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

SLOW DOWN EGGHEAD! :)
  • bLink`bLink` Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146506Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited August 2012
    Veil has so much exploits where you can hide upgrades to a spot that marines cannot be spotted or destroyed. Oh it's my first time playing veil! The map looks cool, congrats to who made the map :P

<!--quoteo(post=1968010:date=Aug 29 2012, 12:42 AM:name=bLink`)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bLink` @ Aug 29 2012, 12:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968010"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What's the reason why Fades can't blink left, right, or backwards anymore? I hated it when it was like that like before :( my movements are always forward now with blink.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited August 2012
    so
    Can we hope to see the turrets usable in the near future? They are a pointless venture still, especialy if that res spent is better put towards upgrades exo's and jetpacks. turrets aren't a viable option anymore. so therefore the only reason to pick a robotech line is to get macs because nobody is building (mostly cos of small games) or arcs. (which i haven't seen used this build either) turret's have ceased to exist.
    And with aliens
    Gorge still reigns supreme for alien sieges, rarely see onos anymore. bile needs to be nerfed to the point where people realise that the onos is the siege, not the gorge. maybe double its dmg vs armor, but halve its damage vs hp? (So it doesn't finish, as easily as it does now but it is a damn good support siege?)
    Also gorge structures stay, this is a VERY good step in the right direction. also they cost res to compensate. It's not what i would like to have but it's better than what we did.

And now to test it. looks promising.

OKAY

First test
    Exo is obviously op, marines no longer have to buy any weapons, just save up for exo, first game i played i went up against 6 exosuits in a 7v7 (so the only non was their comm) imagine how pain
    No fade or skulk or even onos survived. they even killed the gorges too! *sniff*
    Exo needs to have his turn speed Reduced so that you require a team of mariens to be there with you to stop skulkies biting at your shins.
    PHYSICS ENGINE
    ITS CRUD
    Try jumping on someone, then the someone you jumped on moves away. (insert it hovars statement here)
    Needs to be fixed.
    falling facefirst into the floor as a skulk trying to walljump..

On the otherhand, i think hitregs good, i havent lived through a confrontation with a marine thus far, i had a bunch of other things to say but.. remember none.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    i ahve seen this question appear multiple times already: the patch notes are incorrect, commander ping is now on mouse3 (not alt+click, since that would interfere with voice comm.)
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    The maps are amazing.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    edited August 2012
    Where are you guys reading the changelog? For me, the latest news on unknownworlds.com/ns2 is 'Exosuit Revealed!'.

Edit: Ok, reached it via the Twitter link. Still not showing up on the blog page like the other news though.
  • OscarTheCouchOscarTheCouch Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34647Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Cant wait to get home to play, very exciting patch.

This game needs to be massive!
  • SaschaSascha Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72444Members
    Finally its out. Fantastic work like always. :)
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    Evolving to Gorge in vent = stuck...
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited August 2012
    I tried out the new blink, I love it. Blink is perfect imo. Skulk jumping however is a different story. What they did is they added a huge downward force if you are looking up, so that you can't jump from wall to wall gaining speed any more. Also, when you jump on the ground you keep your speed much easier. Honestly if they just had it so that it would only be directionality horizontal only it would have been fine, but this seems just as unintuitive as before. If you have leap or a high wall you can exploit the downward force by giving yourself full speed with one wall jump. Speed is still stored, to get as much as you want all you need is leap and adrenaline. I'm afraid at this point of development they won't change wall jumping to be more like bhopping as they should, this speed storing is still impacting the game negatively as are all the other little gimmicky movement things they put in such as the nerf to marine jumping.

And another thing, being able to use team res to buy lifeforms is broken. It doesn't even seem like an exploit because it's part of the update. You can basically have a full team of lerks or an onos 4 min into the game, against level 0 marines with only rifles. Ouch.

a major bug I've found, lerk hitboxes seem to not be attached to their models anymore. Shot a floating lerk with a minigun and not a single bullet hit. Wasn't lag because I was able to recreate it.
  • mf-mf- Join Date: 2008-06-17 Member: 64463Members
    Fade blink is great :)

Dushan confirmed wall jumping was broken with physics changes. He'll be fixing it for 218!
  • jeffcojeffco Join Date: 2011-02-14 Member: 81785Members
    Besides tons of changes I like in 217, here are some I dislike:
    - non-scalar health bars on structures (especially on power nodes and extractors, please make them scalar)
    - the minigun sound (sounds like a vacuum cleaner)
    - the icons on the enlarged map are way too small
    - the color used for vents on the map (it is equal the color of infestation.. that is a bit confusing)
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    So.. Hydras now cost pres, and im fine with that.

But can you PLEASE change the cap? Having 3 hydras really doesnt do anything at all. couldnt it atleast be 5?
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    Preliminary feedback:
    1. Smaller minimap icons are nice, but I think a little too small. A little larger would be nice.
    2. It's awesome to see veil again, but the map is going to need some rework for ns2. You've got 3 tech points quite close together, then marine start way far away. That's not how ns2 works. Sub sector and pipe are going to have to be moved closer to marine start.
    3. Aliens need to see who their commander is, and how much res he has, like marines.
    4. Friendlies and enemies should show in different hivesight colors.

More to come as I play more.
  • RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
    I don't see the changelog? Where is it?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1968205:date=Aug 29 2012, 01:40 PM:name=Raneman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raneman @ Aug 29 2012, 01:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968205"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't see the changelog? Where is it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It was linked on Twitter:

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2012/8/ns2_build_217_titanium_changelog" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2012...anium_changelog</a>