20 bucks for postponed release

VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
<div class="IPBDescription">who is in?</div>i understand that UWE is under pressure to release 1.0 because there just issnt enough time=money left.
i realy want NS2 to hit the gamemarket like a nuke!

so my thought is simple, without any hessitation i would give 20-50 bucks if we could delay release a few more months.
im sure im not alone, maybe we could let it run over kickstarter, or just give me a paypal-accountnumber where i can send some money to delay 1.0, because only 1.0 counts!

its no use if NS2 is well polished, balanced, featurecomplete and runs great on a pentium 1GHz at verson 1.5, because reviews are at 1.0 and you get no second chance for a first impression.

so, who is with me!?

Comments

• RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Considering they had, what, 20,000 sales? I can't see them changing their plans for 400 bucks or so...

I am sure UWE have a good idea of what they are doing. They are smart folk, and I doubt their income is based on NS2 sales alone. They diversify and sell other tools etc, from what I can remember.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    No, one of the reasons the release-date is coming sooner than is desirable is because of the continues feature-experimentation going on (exceeding reason, a lot of silly things have been tried that one could've eliminated by thought alone). Additional funding and a postponing of the release-date may only perpetuate that bad character-trait. Summer 2012 is indeed too soon, but it will at least force UWE into locking down the feature-set and attempt to come to a whole-picture of what the gameplay is actually all about (a lot of stuff is still extremely vague at this point, the role of the alien-commander\gorge\exo etc).
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    You know, instead of putting money down so they delay, why dont you buy MORE copies of NS2 to help fund development so they can afford to hire more programmers for Summer?
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1938529:date=May 24 2012, 12:41 AM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ May 24 2012, 12:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938529"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You know, instead of putting money down so they delay, why dont you buy MORE copies of NS2 to help fund development so they can afford to hire more programmers for Summer?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    lol, i didnt think of that, but i kind of hoped for a few hundret people jumping in, allone i dont have the money to make a difference....
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was going to say that :) Just buy another copy, share the key around to a friend or let it be on loan to others you know so they can spread the word and the knock on effect continues :)
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    didn't you guys read the mythical man-hour? hiring someone at this late stage of development won't help them hit a summer release date.
  • Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1938518:date=May 23 2012, 03:01 PM:name=Venatos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Venatos @ May 23 2012, 03:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938518"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i understand that UWE is under pressure to release 1.0 because there just issnt enough time=money left.
    i realy want NS2 to hit the gamemarket like a nuke!

so my thought is simple, without any hessitation i would give 20-50 bucks if we could delay release a few more months.
    im sure im not alone, maybe we could let it run over kickstarter, or just give me a paypal-accountnumber where i can send some money to delay 1.0, because only 1.0 counts!

its no use if NS2 is well polished, balanced, featurecomplete and runs great on a pentium 1GHz at verson 1.5, because reviews are at 1.0 and you get no second chance for a first impression.

so, who is with me!?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

WHAT IS THIS I DON"T EVEN?

You want us to pay more money so we can not play the game sooner?

GOOD LORD. Get a grip. <u><b>This forum just hit a NEW low with this post.</b></u>

Where to begin I don't even...

If UWE releases a crappy game too early that's their decision and if there are seriously people out there so fanatical that they want to bribe the owners of a company into making financial and business decisions for them then WOW I don't even know how to respond except point out how...yea there aren't words.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1938543:date=May 23 2012, 06:37 PM:name=Venatos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Venatos @ May 23 2012, 06:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938543"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->lol, i didnt think of that, but i kind of hoped for a few hundret people jumping in, allone i dont have the money to make a difference....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry, but this all seems rather silly. If you want people to join you, make it for a cause you'd be willing to do, even if you had to do it alone.
    I'd echo that if you really want to support UWE right now, buy the extra copies of the game. Hold a drawing in a forum or community for free keys, and promote the game that way, in turn attracting more buyers and helping NS2 even more.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1938529:date=May 24 2012, 12:41 AM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ May 24 2012, 12:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938529"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You know, instead of putting money down so they delay, why dont you buy MORE copies of NS2 to help fund development so they can afford to hire more programmers for Summer?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why would any sane person do this? In the end UWE is a company selling a product, not a charity organization. It is not the customers job to fund ongoing work after they already bought the product. Yes the UWE guys are nice, but come on, there is a line.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    Start a kickstarter for it (so I can make fun of that)
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Thanks for the sentiment, but our end date is not driven by financial concerns. We are simply ready to get this game done and released once and for all.

We are on a good track to still release at the end of summer, and we are making sure to be feature complete in time to allow us the necessary time to polish, bug fix, balance, and optimize. 1.0 is not going to mark the end of NS2 development, just the beginning of a new stage as we continue to refine and add new content and features and balance refinement to to what we believe will be a very solid game by the end of the summer.

--Cory
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    Just make sure we'll be able to purchase the game with a normal credit card instead of the current bull######. Paypal might be big in the US, not so much in Europe. I have a few friends who wants to play the game but are boycotting paypaö for some SOPA-petition bull.

I guess normal payment wont be a problem since it'll be on steam though, right?
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think most people just don't want to see a bad 1.0 release.

To put this simply:

Bad release build
    ->
    Bad publicity
    ->
    Bad image that sticks around
    ->
    NS2 won't be going anywhere where the fans would like it to be

Also, when these posts popup, people doubt it will be ready in just a few months.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1938582:date=May 24 2012, 04:04 PM:name=Omega_K2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Omega_K2 @ May 24 2012, 04:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938582"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think most people just don't want to see a bad 1.0 release.

To put this simply:

Bad release build
    ->
    Bad publicity
    ->
    Bad image that sticks around
    ->
    ust a few months.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ->
    Microsoft still dominant in the market despite never properly testing in house (allowed them to save money on testers) but we all stgill lapped up DOS release after DOS release.

UWE have done a lot more testing that microsoft ever did.

With all the work that has gone in over the closed and now public beta's has imo guaranteed they wont be releasing a lemon on the market.

This is a lot more polished than the original BF2, BF3, DoD or CS ever where, they didn't see any harm from their shakey starts.

Once exo's and the level 3 abilities are in I would love for them to put a bow on it ready for sale.

Sure there will be patches in the future to tweak things, happens in all games.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm very happy with the updates currently so far, improvements are going well too.
    The biggest thing I'm looking for is server improvements, once we can run this baby on a pretty good server (instead of insanely good server) then it's going to kick arse :)
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1938575:date=May 24 2012, 05:41 AM:name=wiry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wiry @ May 24 2012, 05:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938575"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just make sure we'll be able to purchase the game with a normal credit card instead of the current bull######. Paypal might be big in the US, not so much in Europe. I have a few friends who wants to play the game but are boycotting paypaö for some SOPA-petition bull.

I guess normal payment wont be a problem since it'll be on steam though, right?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Go check out the preorder page, there are way more options now.
  • SilverAxSilverAx Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 21976Members
    Pay money so a game is not released because it's not ready?

Duke Nukem Forever left a message on your phone.
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1938568:date=May 24 2012, 04:48 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ May 24 2012, 04:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938568"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks for the sentiment, but our end date is not driven by financial concerns. We are simply ready to get this game done and released once and for all.

We are on a good track to still release at the end of summer, and we are making sure to be feature complete in time to allow us the necessary time to polish, bug fix, balance, and optimize. 1.0 is not going to mark the end of NS2 development, just the beginning of a new stage as we continue to refine and add new content and features and balance refinement to to what we believe will be a very solid game by the end of the summer.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    thank you for your reasurance cory, maybe i just paniced because of all the "this probably wont make it into 1.0" or "that we will most likely have to add post 1.0" and "its so hard to choose a feature that we have to drop so we can make the release" in the last weeks.

and to all the other posters here: i am disapointed... if people pay 50-60 bucks for a mundane "AAA" titles like CoD, they should be willing to pay at least the same for a unique and great gaming experience like NS2. i know i am.
  • MrYiffMrYiff Join Date: 2004-08-24 Member: 30867Members, NS2 Playtester
    Choosing what features to drop (or add), to a game in the run up to a final release is nothing new and is pretty much standard in any sort of programming role where you are creating a product you want to release, the big difference here is that UWE are making some of these discussions and decisions public so everyone can see and comment on them as they are happening rather than just speculating on what got cut after 1.0 arrives.
    This is actually a good sign as it should ensure that UWE are realistically planning out the features they can get into the game for 1.0 with the time and programming capacity that they have so in theory all the chosen features should be in a decent state in time for 1.0 rather than having loads and loads of features added in a half-assed unfinished and unbalanced way just to throw some extra buzzwords on the box :)
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1938592:date=May 24 2012, 09:08 AM:name=Venatos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Venatos @ May 24 2012, 09:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938592"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if people pay 50-60 bucks for a mundane "AAA" titles like CoD<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't. I think 35-40 dollars is an okay price for NS2 (perhaps very slightly high for the amount of content present, but I'm willing to be lenient because of the modding & dedicatedservers).

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=wiry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wiry)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just make sure we'll be able to purchase the game with a normal credit card instead of the current bull######. Paypal might be big in the US, not so much in Europe. I have a few friends who wants to play the game but are boycotting paypaö for some SOPA-petition bull.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Really? They have problems with PayPal over SOPA but are okay with credit-card companies? Hmmzzz...
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1938575:date=May 24 2012, 03:41 AM:name=wiry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wiry @ May 24 2012, 03:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938575"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just make sure we'll be able to purchase the game with a normal credit card instead of the current bull######. Paypal might be big in the US, not so much in Europe. I have a few friends who wants to play the game but are boycotting paypaö for some SOPA-petition bull.

I guess normal payment wont be a problem since it'll be on steam though, right?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Check out our <a href="http://www.naturalselection2.com/buy" target="_blank">buy page</a>; the Humble Bundle folks are now running our purchasing system, which means you can use Google Checkout or Amazon Payments as well as PayPal.
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1938612:date=May 24 2012, 01:13 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ May 24 2012, 01:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938612"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Really? They have problems with PayPal over SOPA but are okay with credit-card companies? Hmmzzz...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes
    But mainly because no one uses paypal in europe if they can help it. Just let us buy it like we buy everything else over the internet.

And yes Insane. You have two worse.options than paypal, congratulations. I remember purchasing ns2 with a cc. Please give us that option back. A "lot" of potential player losses i think if you dont. I at least have two friends who cba to get paypal, or the other two bad alternatives.

Really, who sells anything online these days without allowing cc payment?
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1938592:date=May 24 2012, 02:08 AM:name=Venatos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Venatos @ May 24 2012, 02:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938592"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->and to all the other posters here: i am disapointed... if people pay 50-60 bucks for a mundane "AAA" titles like CoD, they should be willing to pay at least the same for a unique and great gaming experience like NS2. i know i am.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree CoD is a ripoff now because its the same thing over and over, but...

You know why I'm disappointed? Because you actually seem to be serious. Let me laugh even harder.

A fool and his money go separate ways as seems to be the case here.

And if you think shelling out an additional 20-50 dollars on top of $35 for the purpose of bribing an unknown, for-profit company into NOT releasing their product is reasonable for a multiplayer only game with lousy performance and graphics that leave much to be desired then perhaps I can sell you my computer for $5000? It's not a mundane computre like all those other "AAA" computers.

I like Natural Selection too but I also understand product valuation.

CoD has something called brand recognition and value. That is why they keep selling the same thing over and over.
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1938620:date=May 24 2012, 06:34 AM:name=wiry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wiry @ May 24 2012, 06:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938620"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Really, who sells anything online these days without allowing cc payment?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm pretty sure they would allow direct payments, but yea if UWE wants to be taken seriously as a "company" they should probably start allowing credit card payments if they haven't already like you say.

You need to have as many ways as possible to allow other people to give you their money. That's just a given in business.
  • haprohapro Join Date: 2012-03-27 Member: 149492Members
    edited May 2012
    I pay with a credit card using my Amazon account for Humble transactions. Does anyone not have an Amazon account? It's basically the best website on the Internet after Google.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1938620:date=May 24 2012, 01:34 PM:name=wiry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wiry @ May 24 2012, 01:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938620"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And yes Insane. You have two worse.options than paypal, congratulations. I remember purchasing ns2 with a cc. Please give us that option back. A "lot" of potential player losses i think if you dont. I at least have two friends who cba to get paypal, or the other two bad alternatives.

Really, who sells anything online these days without allowing cc payment?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Honestly, I don't know what you're talking about. All three of our payment options allow you to pay by credit card. You don't even need a PayPal account to make a credit card payment on their system. That hasn't changed since we moved to Humble Bundle.

We haven't taken any options away, just added a couple more.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1938622:date=May 24 2012, 03:44 PM:name=Master Blaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master Blaster @ May 24 2012, 03:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938622"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yea if UWE wants to be taken seriously as a "company" they should probably start allowing credit card payments.

You need to have as many ways as possible to allow other people to give you their money. That's just a given in business.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm really not sure if you are trolling or not. But just in case you are not.
    I'm european, i have a credit card, and i use paypal and amazon payment with my credit card. For paypal you don't even have to create a paypal account, you can directly go to the CC payment option. So what you ask for, already exists. But its so obvious that i think you are probably just trolling.
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1938633:date=May 24 2012, 07:06 AM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ May 24 2012, 07:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938633"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm really not sure if you are trolling or not. But just in case you are not.
    I'm european, i have a credit card, and i use paypal and amazon payment with my credit card. For paypal you don't even have to create a paypal account, you can directly go to the CC payment option. So what you ask for, already exists. But its so obvious that i think you are probably just trolling.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well that other guy Wiry or whatever says that they're not allowing that, so take it up with him, not me.

I appreciate the original poster's energy, enthusiasm, and sentiment, but...

Also, this whole thread topic is really stupid. I had just finished telling someone about the stupid things on here, and THEN i came back and read "LETS THROW MORE MONEY AT UWE SO THEY DON'T FINISH THE GAME ON TIME!!" and I laughed and then died a little because I realized people seriously think like this.
  • WolpertingerWolpertinger Join Date: 2011-12-24 Member: 138958Members
    So far, the playtesting has mostly been quick and rough testing of features and bug-finding/bug-recreation. And the large part of actually gameplay-testing has been done by every beta-player, right?

How will this look after 1.0? Somehow I think that Charly won't be able to release a new build with new features like he has been within the beta-time. Before new features get into the game after 1.0 I believe there will be have to a lot more playtesting, with just more than bug-finding before the actual public on Steam will get its hands on them. They will most likely be much less forgiving.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    edited May 2012
    Basically, they are releasing it late summer so they can sell it on steam. I saw your plan UWE, it didn't get past me!