20 bucks for postponed release

2»

Comments

• Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
    <!--quoteo(post=1938638:date=May 24 2012, 07:24 AM:name=Papayas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Papayas @ May 24 2012, 07:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938638"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Basically, they are releasing it late summer so they can sell it on steam. I saw your plan UWE, it didn't get past me!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have an idea, let's each chip in $1000 so that UWE NEVER RELEASES THE GAME! Seriously, think about it. If they release the game, it might fail, and we don't want that. So by never releasing it, it has no chance of failing. And if it never fails, that means success. Therefore, the only way to ensure success is for all of us to give UWE $1,000 more so they do not release this game.
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1938631:date=May 24 2012, 04:00 PM:name=hapro)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hapro @ May 24 2012, 04:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938631"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I pay with a credit card using my Amazon account for Humble transactions. Does anyone not have an Amazon account? It's basically the best website on the Internet after Google.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Close to no one in Europe uses Amazon (at least that I've talked to), and even less can be arsed to get an account on a site they'll never use again just because they want to make a single purchase.

<!--quoteo(post=1938632:date=May 24 2012, 04:02 PM:name=Insane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Insane @ May 24 2012, 04:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938632"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Honestly, I don't know what you're talking about. All three of our payment options allow you to pay by credit card. You don't even need a PayPal account to make a credit card payment on their system. That hasn't changed since we moved to Humble Bundle.

We haven't taken any options away, just added a couple more.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well I guess thats good news. In that case I have no clue what my buddy raged so hard about. He still couldn't get it to work, thats pretty much all he said, except some explicit words regarding paypal. :]
  • DethGauntDethGaunt Join Date: 2003-06-02 Member: 16938Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1938640:date=May 24 2012, 03:13 PM:name=wiry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wiry @ May 24 2012, 03:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938640"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Close to no one in Europe uses Amazon (at least that I've talked to), and even less can be arsed to get an account on a site they'll never use again just because they want to make a single purchase.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ahem, brit here and I use amazon for practically everything :)
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1938620:date=May 24 2012, 01:34 PM:name=wiry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wiry @ May 24 2012, 01:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938620"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->no one uses paypal in europe if they can help it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=wiry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wiry)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Close to no one in Europe uses Amazon<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I declare wiry expert of all things Europe!
  • YbarraYbarra Join Date: 2012-03-29 Member: 149621Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1938529:date=May 23 2012, 03:41 PM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ May 23 2012, 03:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938529"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You know, instead of putting money down so they delay, why dont you buy MORE copies of NS2 to help fund development so they can afford to hire more programmers for Summer?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This.

Also, some folks seem rather upset - there is no reason to be contentious. Be respectful and mindful of your actions. :)
  • BiglinesBiglines Join Date: 2003-12-07 Member: 24094Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1938640:date=May 24 2012, 04:13 PM:name=wiry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wiry @ May 24 2012, 04:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938640"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Close to no one in Europe uses Amazon (at least that I've talked to), and even less can be arsed to get an account on a site they'll never use again just because they want to make a single purchase.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm european (dutch), and I don't know anyone that doesn't use paypal or amazon, unless it's a dutch site, then they generally use iDeal. Paypal here can use both direct creditcard payments, or direct bank transfers.

all these people against things like paypal, google, facebook are probably still convinced the moon landing was a hoax and that the cia runs every government in the world... Of course they ###### up and try to screw you out of your money like any dishonest businessman... but how is this different from any local businesses (except you can go beat em up more easily).
    <!--quoteo(post=1938651:date=May 24 2012, 08:59 AM:name=Biglines)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Biglines @ May 24 2012, 08:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938651"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->all these people against things like paypal, google, facebook are probably still convinced the moon landing was a hoax and that the cia runs every government in the world... Of course they ###### up and try to screw you out of your money like any dishonest businessman... but how is this different from any local businesses (except you can go beat em up more easily).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

With all due respect, and remember I am saying "with all due respect..."

What the FARK are you talking about?
  • Banzai¥Banzai¥ Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143902Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1938653:date=May 24 2012, 11:00 AM:name=Master Blaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master Blaster @ May 24 2012, 11:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938653"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->With all due respect, and remember I am saying "with all due respect..."

What the FARK are you talking about?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    He's talking about the rumours that Paypal and other 'online-companies' are money grabbing con-artists who control the political system around the world and we should deal with it... oh and rob local stores and threaten businesses if you have a suspicion that they're charging you more than they should (Not being sarcastic; I read his comment like that.)

Some people don't want to deal with Paypal when they could or should be able to just pay through credit-card/direct; I like to at least.
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1938575:date=May 24 2012, 05:41 AM:name=wiry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wiry @ May 24 2012, 05:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938575"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...
    I have a few friends who wants to play the game but are boycotting paypaö for some SOPA-petition bull.
    ...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    you can calm your friends down, Pay Pal is opposed to SOPA
    <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_organizations_with_official_stances_on_the_Stop_Online_Piracy_Act" target="_blank">List of organizations with official stances on the SOPA and PIPA</a>

(hope this doesn't mean your friends are PRO sopa!)
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1938589:date=May 24 2012, 05:31 PM:name=SilverAx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SilverAx @ May 24 2012, 05:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938589"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pay money so a game is not released because it's not ready?

Duke Nukem Forever left a message on your phone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Made me lol :)
  • BlitzThoseBlitzThose Aberdeen, Scotland Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71342Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1938529:date=May 23 2012, 11:41 PM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ May 23 2012, 11:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938529"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You know, instead of putting money down so they delay, why dont you buy MORE copies of NS2 to help fund development so they can afford to hire more programmers for Summer?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ive already bought 14 copies I may buy more yet
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1938548:date=May 23 2012, 08:28 PM:name=Master Blaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master Blaster @ May 23 2012, 08:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938548"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->WHAT IS THIS I DON"T EVEN?

You want us to pay more money so we can not play the game sooner?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're playing the game right now, aren't you? Rushing to feature completion and getting the game out the door in only a few months means releasing a product that is very unpolished to people who <i>are not fans of NS</i> and not very willing to put up with problems. Reviews happen only once and they stick; it doesn't matter if you buff NS2 to a mirror shine post release, most people will look at the review and go "5 out of 10, mediocre. That's unfortunate".

You've essentially skipped the entire beta testing phase(commonly understood to start when you are <i>feature complete</i>)
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1938942:date=May 25 2012, 02:27 PM:name=Soylent_green)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soylent_green @ May 25 2012, 02:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938942"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're playing the game right now, aren't you? Rushing to feature completion and getting the game out the door in only a few months means releasing a product that is very unpolished to people who <i>are not fans of NS</i> and not very willing to put up with problems. Reviews happen only once and they stick; it doesn't matter if you buff NS2 to a mirror shine post release, most people will look at the review and go "5 out of 10, mediocre. That's unfortunate".

You've essentially skipped the entire beta testing phase(commonly understood to start when you are <i>feature complete</i>)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You seem to have missed the whole part where he wants us to bribe UWE so they do not release the game when they decide to release it.

Or does that actually make sense to you?'

If UWE releases a bad game too early that is their fault and I don't need to pay them money to NOT do that.
  • pRiNcEkAhUnApRiNcEkAhUnA Join Date: 2012-03-06 Member: 148264Members
    I am confident in UWE ability to hit their summer release, feature complete and optimized. I do enjoy playing NS2 so much that I may not mind purchasing an extra copy to give away to a friend.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1938582:date=May 24 2012, 01:04 AM:name=Omega_K2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Omega_K2 @ May 24 2012, 01:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938582"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think most people just don't want to see a bad 1.0 release.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

then start fixing some bugs yourself, modding in desired features, making maps, discussing mechanics to death etc

when you say "let's pay to delay the release" you're assuming that it will be bad, which actually kinda shows a lack of faith in the developers you're claiming to like so much

in other words, this thread is bad!
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    I'd pay them for that. Heck releasing a good game is the reason I paid them in the first place.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1938584:date=May 24 2012, 08:12 AM:name=hakenspit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hakenspit @ May 24 2012, 08:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938584"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->->
    Microsoft still dominant in the market despite never properly testing in house (allowed them to save money on testers) but we all stgill lapped up DOS release after DOS release.

UWE have done a lot more testing that microsoft ever did.

With all the work that has gone in over the closed and now public beta's has imo guaranteed they wont be releasing a lemon on the market.

This is a lot more polished than the original BF2, BF3, DoD or CS ever where, they didn't see any harm from their shakey starts.

Once exo's and the level 3 abilities are in I would love for them to put a bow on it ready for sale.

Sure there will be patches in the future to tweak things, happens in all games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You are comparing MS to Unknown Worlds. Really? Does Unknown Worlds have an almost-monopoly on deskop operating systems like MS does? Does Unknown Worlds make like 15 billion $ profit a year? Do you have insight to microsoft to know they never did any "proper" testing?

In the end, it does not matter what you think or I think the beta achives, but what the state of the game is when it is released. When I look at the course of beta, they certainly did a lot of improvements, but they also changed the game for the worse a lot of times. But, comparing the last months to the ~3 months ahead, it seems unlikely that they'll achieve a

I can't speak for all games, but certainly BF3, DoD:S and CS:S ran all better and were (generally) more balanced. I played them all right after release. I am not saying the start was good, as I am aware of the changes that came later on, but it was still better then this game.

Just because it is in, it doesn't mean it is ready. They should be somewhat balanced at the very least, not asking for perfect balance, but no blantly obvious imbalances.

They said there will, but that doesn't change the fact that a once they established a bad image after release they just can't patch it away.
    For example, Stronghold 3, which was extremly poor when it was released. It gradually improved after release, but the image sticks.

Another super popular example is Windows Vista, since you like OS comprehensions. The reasons are different, but ultimatlely boil down to these:
    1) Lack of driver support upon release
    2) Does not run on old HW

So basically what happend is, that windows vista now has an extremly poor image, so poor that people think it sucks because people say it does. It sold, but nowhere nearly as good as Windows 7 which is technically rather close to Windows Vista, few minor changes. But since it is so similar, a lot of Vista drivers also work on 7 (or they require very little) change, so people could use most of their hardware that would run under Vista. Also as the time progressed, more things started to support Vista/7, so natrually it was much easier to find HW that runs with Vista/7.
    When it came out, people couldn't run Vista properly very often due to the lack of drivers or they had rushed drivers containg bugs leading to bluescreens. It also didn't run as good as XP, but that is only natural giving the way Vista (/7) works/was designed. People did not understand that obviously, but the bad image stuck around, even after better drives and updates were out.

Ultimately, the same thing can happen with NS2.

By no means I would expect a perfect game, but once it goes 'final' for the release, it should be in a state that can get decent reviews. Generally you only get once chance.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1939009:date=May 26 2012, 06:25 AM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ May 26 2012, 06:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939009"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->then start fixing some bugs yourself, modding in desired features, making maps, discussing mechanics to death etc

when you say "let's pay to delay the release" you're assuming that it will be bad, which actually kinda shows a lack of faith in the developers you're claiming to like so much

in other words, this thread is bad!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Getting the game into a state where it is good is the developer's job, not ours, unless they pay us obviously, but then we'd be developers aswell ;) That being said, of course we can help, but in the end, all that matters is the state of the game when it comes out.
    We already have good contributions, like menumod for exaple and I wonder, why isn't it included in the game? Is is superior in almost every way to the original menu.
    Also the degree of contributions depends on how much you actually get in return. Also, even this thread is a contribution, because UWE should be able to notice one way or another, that people are worried about the game.

Please quote where I said "let's pay to delay the release" and "I like the devs so much"

So you mention Faith. I could start a lengthy discussion about faith, but I'll rather put it in a short manner: Having faith just doesn't mean it's a good thing. Don't beleive me? Well, think about 9/11 or terrorists in general. In general, putting blind faith into something is not the best idea.
    As for NS2 this means, of course you can beleive in the devs if you choose to, but at the very least you should also see the facts/trends on these releases and builds. And that includes the possibity that the release will the bad. Some may assume it will be, some may think diffrently. The reason many people assume it will be is the current trend. Also, I think most people would be glad to be proven wrong.

In other words, you sound rather <i>unenlightened</i> or like a troll :P
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1939054:date=May 26 2012, 06:39 AM:name=Omega_K2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Omega_K2 @ May 26 2012, 06:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939054"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So you mention Faith. I could start a lengthy discussion about faith, but I'll rather put it in a short manner: Having faith just doesn't mean it's a good thing. Don't beleive me? Well, think about 9/11 or terrorists in general. In general, putting blind faith into something is not the best idea.
    As for NS2 this means, of course you can beleive in the devs if you choose to, but at the very least you should also see the facts/trends on these releases and builds. And that includes the possibity that the release will the bad. Some may assume it will be, some may think diffrently. The reason many people assume it will be is the current trend. Also, I think most people would be glad to be proven wrong.

In other words, you sound rather <i>unenlightened</i> or like a troll :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I took you seriously until you started rambling incoherently about 9/11. It's time to stop typing.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1939054:date=May 26 2012, 09:39 AM:name=Omega_K2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Omega_K2 @ May 26 2012, 09:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939054"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In other words, you sound rather <i>unenlightened</i> or like a troll :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol ok kid :O]