German translation of NS2

Comments

• basti1337basti1337 Join Date: 2011-05-13 Member: 98538Members
    edited December 2011
    B189 Changes
    <a href="https://github.com/basti1337/NS2-German/commit/3c7fcb22c334126e382b0c77e4d7fad1a451b0d2" target="_blank">https://github.com/basti1337/NS2-German/com...4d7fad1a451b0d2</a>
    B190 Changes
    <a href="https://github.com/basti1337/NS2-German/commit/e6c3f88899534f3b4b8bab3401e5fcd2460c0102" target="_blank">https://github.com/basti1337/NS2-German/com...1e5fcd2460c0102</a>
    B194 Changes
    <a href="https://github.com/basti1337/NS2-German/commit/cdde1b038c5a192ceed28da1503ed788eef2b940" target="_blank">https://github.com/basti1337/NS2-German/com...03ed788eef2b940</a>
    B199 Changes
    <a href="https://github.com/basti1337/NS2-German/commit/89b71cef3d4ae3d8fcbfadc916697fcdc63acc43" target="_blank">https://github.com/basti1337/NS2-German/com...6697fcdc63acc43</a>
    B200 Changes
    <a href="https://github.com/basti1337/NS2-German/commit/b9aecac587fbd2cfb20ea30d870351ab8c561ece" target="_blank">https://github.com/basti1337/NS2-German/com...70351ab8c561ece</a>
    B201 changes
    <a href="https://github.com/basti1337/NS2-German/commit/35dc5da391d043d01bef09e13e8fb22ddcdeecf6" target="_blank">https://github.com/basti1337/NS2-German/com...e8fb22ddcdeecf6</a>
    Updated to B206...
    You can see the changes and a full log here:
    <a href="https://github.com/basti1337/NS2-German/commits/master" target="_blank">https://github.com/basti1337/NS2-German/commits/master</a>
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Awesome work guys!

One thing to note: we will be releasing our own translation web pages which will allow anyone to help translate NS2 into any language. So you guys will be able to get your work into the game and shipping officially with it soon.
    B215 changes
    <a href="https://github.com/basti1337/NS2-German/commit/f212df22c4d5be12696454048433c8e1dd55e629" target="_blank">https://github.com/basti1337/NS2-German/com...433c8e1dd55e629</a>
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2012
    The new Community translations in german will be horrible, looking what gets up and downvoted... seems like 12y old kids are going over it. (also it seems like they didnt read the guidelines at all)
  • SilliumSillium Join Date: 2012-07-27 Member: 154381Members
    Some of them are really funny... beside how bad they are translated.

Anyway I think it will get sorted out by the votes and the Admins watching over it
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2012
    I haven't decided yet whether I want to apply for admin. I have thorough knowledge of both German and English grammar and spelling and also know formal language. It's just so much work and I cringe every time I look at what people suggest. I'm also a perfectionist, so when something doesn't sound exactly right I'd much rather leave it untranslated (e.g. all possible translations for "armory" sound awkward, just as the meanings of structure, evolve, upgrade, etc. are not exactly reproducible in German).
  • NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I see one problem with the current system to translate. There is no further information about the text that is being translated. A context object would be required to make a correct translation.

For example:

ABM_NEED ("Need ")
    "Benötige" [ 12p. / good / bad ]
    "Benötige " [ 5p. / good / bad ]
    "Benötigt " [ -4p. / good / bad ]
    "Brauche" [ 0p. / good / bad ]

They could be all correct depending on where the "need" is used. And in which form the sentence would be formed. I think there should always be a example sentence how the word is being used.
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2012
    You can search for ABM_NEED in the lua code or just think about where that word/sentence shows up on your UI. ABM stands for Alien Buy Menu, so it's the "Need x Res" text on the "buy" button.

Providing a full description and/or screenshot of where/when that string is displayed is a lot of work. Don't expect anyone to do that.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2012
    Well for a lot of things its not that complicated, since you should know where the english text is used ingame => You get a sense what it should say in german correctly.

A big problem currently in the translations is that ppl started to downvote furiously stuff thats correct given whats written in the guidelines:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Here's what SHOULD be translated:

Descriptive names (Shotgun, Armory)
    Instructions, hints, descriptions

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><b>Here's what should NOT be translated:

Proper names, including <u>lifeforms</u>, <u>structures </u>and <u>non-descriptive</u> names ("Skulk", "Blink", "MAC", "ARC")
    Location names, whether they are descriptive or not ("Sub-Access")</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    For terms somewhere between "descriptive" and "proper":

Sentry (Keep in English if it sounds "cooler"). Use your best judgement.
    For languages with the concept of gender, we are approaching that on a case by case basis. Mendasp is working hard on choosing the right genders and descriptors for Spanish. Look at that translation for our latest translation discoveries.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Another Problem with the Voting system is, that stuff gets inconsistent - if you imagine the commander view, and the little icons of upgrades next to eachother - a lot of them will have very different wording styles... Also one time it will be Marine, one time Soldat, etc...

Its a mess, and voting wont fix it.

There are a lot of words that are also common to use in german, like spawning/respawn - i think some ppl are overdoing the translating a lot which makes hilarious funny but also kinda crappy wording.

I think the translation files should be parsed by most used words, then there needs to be a voting on those first... then if these words are clear you can go forward and use them consistent in tooltips etc.

Stuff like Marine, Commander, Crag, Shift, Armory, Upgrade, Evolve, Prototype Lab, Robotics Factory, etc etc.
  • NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1954229:date=Jul 27 2012, 03:25 AM:name=Dghelneshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dghelneshi @ Jul 27 2012, 03:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954229"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can search for ABM_NEED in the lua code or just think about where that word/sentence shows up on your UI. ABM stands for Alien Buy Menu, so it's the "Need x Res" text on the "buy" button.

Providing a full description and/or screenshot of where/when that string is displayed is a lot of work. Don't expect anyone to do that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Than expect a lot of wrong votes, like from my example.

If it is from the buy menu "Need 30 Res" for the lerk than it would be "Benötigt 30 ..." so pretty much everyone did vote for the wrong translation if i'm not totally failing with my grammar here. ...
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ABM_EVOLVE_<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->FOR<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> ("Evolve <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->for<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> ")
    "Mutiere <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->für<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> "
    [ <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->-10p<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->. / good / bad ]
    "Mutiere <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->zu<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> "Alienname""
    [ -8p. / good / bad ]
    "Mutiere <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->zu<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->"
    [ 1p. / good / bad ]
    "Entwickeln <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->zu<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->"
    [ <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->4p<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->. / good / bad ]
    "Entwickeln <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->in<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->"
    [ -2p. / good / bad ]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What. The. ######.
  • Chuck_NorrisChuck_Norris Join Date: 2012-04-01 Member: 149779Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What. The. ######.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Whats wrong?

"Entwickeln zu" bzw. "Mutieren zu" is a good translation...hopefully u are not translating 1:1 with a dictionary
    <!--quoteo(post=1954240:date=Jul 27 2012, 11:56 AM:name=Chuck_Norris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chuck_Norris @ Jul 27 2012, 11:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954240"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Entwickeln zu" bzw. "Mutieren zu" is <strike>a good translation</strike>...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ... a translation for "evolve to". "Evolve for" and "evolve to" are definitely not the same. Also, mind the trailing space in the string, which is important.
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1954240:date=Jul 27 2012, 03:56 AM:name=Chuck_Norris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chuck_Norris @ Jul 27 2012, 03:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954240"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Whats wrong?

"Entwickeln zu" bzw. "Mutieren zu" is a good translation...hopefully u are not translating 1:1 with a dictionary<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But does it say in the english version "evolve for skulk"? or is it "evolve for 10res"?

When i look into the lua file it looks like it's the text which is displayed on the evolve button after you did chose which lifeform and upgrades you want to use. So it would be "evolve for 30 (res)" which would in german be "mutiere/entwickeln für 30 (res)"
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    i'd like to point out that the guidelines have been updated:
    <a href="http://translate.unknownworlds.com/?module=admin&sm=guidelines" target="_blank">http://translate.unknownworlds.com/?module...p;sm=guidelines</a>

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[...]
    You SHOULD NOT TRANSLATE anything vital to the communication of the game, like structure names, alien names, abilities, upgrades, etc. A way to discover if something is translatable or not is asking yourself: "Will people using different translations be able to communicate what's the game status or request something?". For example, if you joined a spanish server and read "Tienen Hive en Data Core, han puesto Shades, tendrán Celerity en cualquier momento", you may not know exactly what is being said, but you can tell what is going on, as "Hive", "Shade" and "Celerity" will be (or should be) the same in all translations.

It is strongly recommended to look where in the game the strings are being used before translating them, as meanings can vary depending on the context. Please make sure you know where it's being used before translating something.

The main focus is being able to at least infer what is going on with the game no matter the language of the user.
    [...]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i guess the approved strings need to be revisited now. e.g. things like "Bile Bomb" should probably remain "Bile Bomb" instead of "Gallenbombe".
  • SmicoSmico Join Date: 2010-09-21 Member: 74125Members
    Maybe UW should define those terms that shouldn't be translated and kick them out of the translation-project. If you leave this up to the translator groups for each language, it's a recipe for chaos.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    well, it might vary a bit for every language and they don't obviously speak all of them...
    while i agree with you, i also think that the guidelines are rather clear about this now.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[...] NOT TRANSLATE anything vital to the communication of the game, like structure names, alien names, abilities, upgrades, etc.[...]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • gorge.ousgorge.ous Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76481Members
    edited August 2012
    *nevermind der beitrag war woanders besser aufgehoben ;)*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2005-05-15 Member: 51659
    The whole translation site should feature the ability to discuss every single entry.

And every important item, building, person, room should have its original name, that's for sure, otherwise games would tend to become too localized and that would be really sad.

And as of now it's very inconsistent anyway, some things are translated, some are not.

Maybe entries like "Whip" should simply be put out of the discussion from the translation site.
  • redsimonredsimon Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158314Members
    Hi guys. I am new here (but played the old NS back then) and have filled some gaps in the translation.

I agree that we need a feature for discussing single entries and word from above about which words must not be translated.
  • Lt.RealnessLt.Realness Join Date: 2004-03-17 Member: 27379Members
    edited January 2013
    looks like this thread has come to a stop somehow..
    anyways if you're still working on this or if you need more help, just message me.

I'm also in the Military and can give you guys more accurate terms that we use in German.

One thing I noticed on page 1 which was not correct was the specification of what a Squad is.

A Squad is a small group (usually 5 up to 10 soldiers) and the best way to translate that into the game would be "Trupp" since "Gruppe" (group) would be too many soldiers. The Frontiersmen are operating in small groups so this would fit perfectly.
    Someone mentioned the term "Zug" which does not apply because that would be platoon" in English.
  • HoeloeHoeloe Switzerland Join Date: 2014-03-02 Member: 194487Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ich wollt mal nachfragen, geht hier eigentlich noch was? Ich hab mich grad mal ein bisschen durch die TranslationSite gewuselt und hab so das Gefühl, dass hier so einiges nicht stimmt. Ich persönlich spiele auf Englisch somit kann ich es nicht beurteilen, ich werde aber die Tage das Spiel mal auf Deutsch umstellen um die Sachen zu prüfen. Nur so ein Beispiel:

ADVANCED_ARMORY_TOOLTIP (Allows access to advanced weapons like grenade launchers and flamethrowers.)
    "Erlaubt fortgeschrittene Waffen wie Granatwerfer und Flammenwerfern zu erforschen."

Wenn es hier um den Tooltip der Advanced Armory geht, stimmts nicht weil es ja schon erforscht ist und wenn es um den Upgradebuttonen geht stimmts net, weil man mit dem draufdrücken das Ugrade startet.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Hoeloe wrote: »
    Ich wollt mal nachfragen, geht hier eigentlich noch was? Ich hab mich grad mal ein bisschen durch die TranslationSite gewuselt und hab so das Gefühl, dass hier so einiges nicht stimmt. Ich persönlich spiele auf Englisch somit kann ich es nicht beurteilen, ich werde aber die Tage das Spiel mal auf Deutsch umstellen um die Sachen zu prüfen. Nur so ein Beispiel:

ADVANCED_ARMORY_TOOLTIP (Allows access to advanced weapons like grenade launchers and flamethrowers.)
    "Erlaubt fortgeschrittene Waffen wie Granatwerfer und Flammenwerfern zu erforschen."

Wenn es hier um den Tooltip der Advanced Armory geht, stimmts nicht weil es ja schon erforscht ist und wenn es um den Upgradebuttonen geht stimmts net, weil man mit dem draufdrücken das Ugrade startet.

Hi,

ich bin aktuell für die deutsche Übersetzung verantwortlich.

Ich habe diese in der Vergangenheit mehrfach auf ihre Konsistenz geprüft und war soweit recht zufrieden. Natürlich ist keine Übersetzung perfekt.

Bei der deutschen Übersetzung war es mir wesentlich wichtiger die Semantik der gegebenen Sätze zu erhalten als ihre exakte Syntax. Hierbei habe ich versucht die jeweiligen Aussagen so gut wie möglich an die Gewohnheiten der deutschen Sprache heranzuführen.

Jedoch kann es sein, dass manche Zeilen nicht mehr ganz aktuell sind, da mir heutzutage einfach die Zeit fehlt die Übersetzung regelmäßig zu überprüfen.

Der gefunden Satz ist einer Jener. In früheren Versionen des Spiels war es noch nötig jeweils den Flammen- bzw. Granatwerfer zu erforschen, bevor die Team-Mitglieder in der Lage waren diese zu erwerben und zu benutzen.

Dies wurde jedoch mittlerweile geändert. Ich habe jedoch vergessen die deutsche Übersetzung folgerichtig zu aktualisieren.

Dank des neuen Übersetzungs-Portals sollte dies in der Zukunft nicht mehr passieren.

Dementsprechend danke ich für den Hinweis und habe die angegebene Zeile korrigiert. Sollte es noch weitere solcher Fälle geben wäre ich dankbar für eine Korrektur im Übersetzungs-Portal und einen Hinweis in diesem Thread.
  • HoeloeHoeloe Switzerland Join Date: 2014-03-02 Member: 194487Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Vielen Dank für die Antwort. Mir ist durchaus klar, dass man nicht alles wörtlich übersetzen kann, es muss schlussendlich Inhaltlich stimmen. Ausserdem kann ich gut verstehen dass du im CDT genug zu tun hast. :smile: Ich werd mich die Tage mal durch die TranslationSite durchkämmen und mal prüfen wie das so ausschaut.

Dann werd ich die betroffenen Strings auf dem Portal verbessern und hier posten und du kannst das denn prüfen was mir so auffällt.

Grüsse aus der Schweiz
    Hoeloe