Issues I have with aliens (old NS player here)

124»

Comments

• OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    "Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk" - Dalai Lama
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1919133:date=Mar 28 2012, 07:05 PM:name=OnosFactory)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OnosFactory @ Mar 28 2012, 07:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1919133"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk" - Dalai Lama<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"Quoting a famous person makes you look smart" - Kurt Cobain
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    “If you're really a mean person you're going to come back as a fly and eat poop.”
    ― Kurt Cobain
  • RonarchRonarch Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149332Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1918609:date=Mar 28 2012, 12:58 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Mar 28 2012, 12:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918609"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Put in multiple commanders, <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><b>put in alien-commanders</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->, make gorge useless, remove movement-mechanics, hive-lock lifeforms, try out slow-on-hit, <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><b>CC at fixed positions</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->, et cetera. Such descisions simply don't coincidence with what NS1 taught us. The rational explenation would be that the devs were genuinely crap at NS1, and were unable to see its strenghts.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    These 2 innovations certainly get my vote against.
    They are ruining the charm of NS.
  • no0bno0b Join Date: 2005-01-21 Member: 36591Members
    edited March 2012
    I agree.

I see how much UWE loves RTS+FPS and they wanted to strengthen the RTS part or add more weight to it, by introducing commanders in both teams. I also see how much they love Zerg from SC, the whole Drones into structure thing.

And unfortunately that had replaced Gorges roles, changed the resource system slightly but results in a hugely significant effect.

To me, Alien was unique and different from Marine, that was the whole point and it made perfect sense!

Marines having a commander, he controls all the resources as the mastermind.
    Alien resources were distributed, and player morph into gorges to participate in building, dropping RTs, Hives.

They are different, speices with different tech, and it was gorges that made the game fun yet strategic to the alien side.

The raise of the alien commander, to be frank, made the game boring. It had taken away a fundamental element from the NS1 Aliens.

Furthermore, Gorges are almost useless at the moment apart from the heals.

Gorges used to be able to control zones, helping aliens to control territories.
    But with the lack of structures and smaller and weaker hydras, Gorges now can only heal.

The changes in NS2's map are significant as well.
    There are a lot of much larger rooms in most maps now, with multiple exits in different dimensions.
    Making Hydra, a bit silly.
    Yes puting them up in the wall, wow that is cool but sorry where's our old gorges' best friend fat OC?
    Even OC wouldnt work now because of the spacious room.

sigh.

-----

Lack of vents compared to NS1, there are still vents, but significantly less now.
    Maps are so much brighter, even with powersocket removed. (too many light sources)
    <i>Skulks should be renamed as jumping snails.</i> <b>No longer the case, im digging the 201 improved wall jump!</b>
    Gorges should be removed/complete revamp under this current system.

It is exciting to see you guys acheiving so much now, putting in all kinds of new system, all sounded great, works great as well but they are not working with each other at the moment.

NS1 was, let's say a horse.
    you gave it a furious feral head with sharp teeth to be deadly, great feature
    you gave it wings so that it could fly, who can resist that?
    you gave it thicken skin, like body armour, great defense!
    you gave it a couple of more eyes, with almost complete vision of the surroundings ! insanely evolutionary!
    you gave it a stronger brain, because it is required to run a better nervous system for the extra eyes to work

lots and lots of extra features, all uniquely incredibly designed and evolutionary, but sadly the new creature is overweighted with all the extra features, it can barely even walk, let alone fly. It wouldnt survive, and yes it is dying of starvation.

Afterall, UWE are still great. NS1 was fun and I thank you very, very, very much for making that free mod.
    It was years of fun, competitiveness and happiness.

I dont mean NS2 is daad, its not even borned yet!
    It has lots of great great possibility and potential, its currently a great game based on NS1 with damn cool features, so damn cool.
    But there are still bits and peices to be balanced up and I am 200% sure, UWE are more concerned than us.

I love you guys, thank you once again for all the great memories.

Die hard NS player,
    Rave (Tofu)
  • OrzOrz Join Date: 2010-03-24 Member: 71069Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1919252:date=Mar 29 2012, 02:21 PM:name=no0b)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (no0b @ Mar 29 2012, 02:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1919252"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree.

I see how much UWE loves RTS+FPS and they wanted to strengthen the RTS part or add more weight to it, by introducing commanders in both teams. I also see how much they love Zerg from SC, the whole Drones into structure thing.

And unfortunately that had replaced Gorges roles, changed the resource system slightly but results in a hugely significant effect.

To me, Alien was unique and different from Marine, that was the whole point and it made perfect sense!

Marines having a commander, he controls all the resources as the mastermind.
    Alien resources were distributed, and player morph into gorges to participate in building, dropping RTs, Hives.

They are different, speices with different tech, and it was gorges that made the game fun yet strategic to the alien side.

The raise of the alien commander, to be frank, made the game boring. It had taken away a fundamental element from the NS1 Aliens.

Furthermore, Gorges are almost useless at the moment apart from the heals.

Gorges used to be able to control zones, helping aliens to control territories.
    But with the lack of structures and smaller and weaker hydras, Gorges now can only heal.

The changes in NS2's map are significant as well.
    There are a lot of much larger rooms in most maps now, with multiple exits in different dimensions.
    Making Hydra, a bit silly.
    Yes puting them up in the wall, wow that is cool but sorry where's our old gorges' best friend fat OC?
    Even OC wouldnt work now because of the spacious room.

sigh.

-----

Lack of vents compared to NS1, there are still vents, but significantly less now.
    Maps are so much brighter, even with powersocket removed. (too many light sources)
    <i>Skulks should be renamed as jumping snails.</i> <b>No longer the case, im digging the 201 improved wall jump!</b>
    Gorges should be removed/complete revamp under this current system.

It is exciting to see you guys acheiving so much now, putting in all kinds of new system, all sounded great, works great as well but they are not working with each other at the moment.

NS1 was, let's say a horse.
    you gave it a furious feral head with sharp teeth to be deadly, great feature
    you gave it wings so that it could fly, who can resist that?
    you gave it thicken skin, like body armour, great defense!
    you gave it a couple of more eyes, with almost complete vision of the surroundings ! insanely evolutionary!
    you gave it a stronger brain, because it is required to run a better nervous system for the extra eyes to work

lots and lots of extra features, all uniquely incredibly designed and evolutionary, but sadly the new creature is overweighted with all the extra features, it can barely even walk, let alone fly. It wouldnt survive, and yes it is dying of starvation.

Afterall, UWE are still great. NS1 was fun and I thank you very, very, very much for making that free mod.
    It was years of fun, competitiveness and happiness.

I dont mean NS2 is daad, its not even borned yet!
    It has lots of great great possibility and potential, its currently a great game based on NS1 with damn cool features, so damn cool.
    But there are still bits and peices to be balanced up and I am 200% sure, UWE are more concerned than us.

I love you guys, thank you once again for all the great memories.

Die hard NS player,
    Rave (Tofu)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Amen.