ns2_tanith

Comments

• Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    But I suppose that you've had the original sourcefile of the map? Or did you decompile the .bsp? Just asking, because I am thinking about remaking my old map too (or atleast use some of the geometry to start).
  • ssjyodassjyoda Join Date: 2002-03-05 Member: 274Members, Squad Five Blue
    straight from the bsp... thats why I said it takes time, decompiling makes a mess out of the brushes/faces... so sifting through it is time consuming.
    I've uploaded the graybox so the layout can be playtested.
  • VonDoomVonDoom Knee deep in the latency Join Date: 2009-10-08 Member: 68989Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Will you re-add the giant laser?
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1898504:date=Feb 1 2012, 01:25 AM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Feb 1 2012, 01:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1898504"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can sign up for the map/mod database here: <a href="http://www.duplexgaming.co.uk" target="_blank">www.duplexgaming.co.uk</a>
    Then I can assign you as a Map/mod maker, and you can give the community a way to find your latest version without browsing the forums.
    You will get a personal site for your map, a download counter, and a stable download link.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Seeing you're using 4shared to share your map, I wanted to quote myself so you can get a better download link.
    That way you can also make sure that outdated versions are not accessable.
    Our site is also ad-free.

We ran around it and tested it a bit with cheats on, and there are some pathing problems, it's not possible to go to chemical from acidic.
    Also, it felt very wierd with the minimap being rotated 90 degrees from the minimap in NS1 it really confused me.
    I believe there were some other problems with pathing as well, I wasn't find the one who found them.
    Overall, feels very similar to tanith in NS1 in terms of dimentions, good job!
  • HadesDKHadesDK Join Date: 2008-07-31 Member: 64739Members
    swalk - as I said there are pathing issues with the MACS and Drifters, it has to do with the ladders. Not sure if this is a known issue or something I did wrong on my part. And with the map being rotated, thats how it converted over. I'm going to see if I can rotate the camera view so it'd feel like NS1.
  • zastelszastels Join Date: 2003-11-29 Member: 23731Members
    Those recent screens are very nice. I'll take a run through your grey box.
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1903802:date=Feb 16 2012, 06:20 PM:name=ssjyoda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ssjyoda @ Feb 16 2012, 06:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1903802"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->swalk - as I said there are pathing issues with the MACS and Drifters, it has to do with the ladders. Not sure if this is a known issue or something I did wrong on my part. And with the map being rotated, thats how it converted over. I'm going to see if I can rotate the camera view so it'd feel like NS1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You should be able to just select all of your map and use the rotate tool. The only thing that can go wrong is that Spark tends to cause misalignment by not rounding when using rotate (vertices having positions off-grid).

It's a general problem right now with the drifters/macs. Especially the drifters impose even more limits on map design on top of what NS1 did, like no multiple levels on top of each other due to commander view. I think they should be able to really fly down ledges or at least go down the ladders, otherwise it will be really annoying to redesign all the maps (e.g. remove all ladders and elevators or provide band-aid alternate paths).
    That's why I didn't rotate it. Likely would also crash spark trying to rotate an entire level.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Awesome job! This plus veil are the start of the NS2 nostalgia mapping section.

Also, imageshack makes gorge's cry. Use <a href="http://imgur.com" target="_blank">imgur.com</a> instead.
  • ewatkinsewatkins Join Date: 2009-08-13 Member: 68449Members
    Heya ssj,

was wanting to get into some old school remaking attempts. was just wondering what program you use to extract from the .bsp and convert them to (i assume .vmf)? would be great to hear.

Cheers
  • ewatkinsewatkins Join Date: 2009-08-13 Member: 68449Members
    Got it now.

Cheers ssj
    edited February 2012
    images moved to first post
  • [=Alex=][=Alex=] Join Date: 2008-12-25 Member: 65866Members, Squad Five Blue
    ssjyoda, I loved your last screens! Continues this work is incredible!
    edited February 2012
    images moved to first post
  • VonDoomVonDoom Knee deep in the latency Join Date: 2009-10-08 Member: 68989Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Now we just need to put some water back in that pool so we can have a good old party!
    yeah.. but u can't do water in ns2 yet.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1906043:date=Feb 23 2012, 01:00 AM:name=ssjyoda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ssjyoda @ Feb 23 2012, 01:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906043"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yeah.. but u can't do water in ns2 yet.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Make it lava ;D
    I think you should make a thread in general discussion about pathing and ladders, to get the devs attention.
    That way they will hopefully notice your post and give you an awnser if they want to adress it.
    Else I would suggest replacing the ladder with a stairwell. I don't like the idea of creating another route.
    Well I plan to lower acidic and make the ladder to chem a stair... onos look weird sliding up ladders anyways.
    <!--quoteo(post=1906247:date=Feb 23 2012, 01:36 PM:name=ssjyoda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ssjyoda @ Feb 23 2012, 01:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906247"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well I plan to lower acidic and make the ladder to chem a stair... onos look weird sliding up ladders anyways.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Is it not possible to keep the height difference, and have a stairwell?
    That would at least give you less reworking on geometry. :)
    I've already checked, the height difference is too great in that small area for stairs. The ladder in west access is another issue I gotta deal with.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2012
    Your map is getting there, but I think you should consider re-lighting it, as it's not really moody and seems quite uniform. It seems to be lit mostly with bright white lights which gives little contrast. Try changing the colors, even just a little and you will see a huge difference.
    V2 out, pathing issues should be fixed. Have fun playing/testing guys.
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    One thing I'd like to say is that the map is very "sparkly", especially in alien vision. There seems to be <b>a lot</b> of issues with multiple vertices in one place or misalignment/off-grid errors causing corners not being exactly closed off.
    That's due the conversion, all old stuff came in off grid and with extra vertices
    Yeah, it's just that I also noticed this in the textured rooms, so I though you might not have noticed as much.
    <!--quoteo(post=1907466:date=Feb 27 2012, 03:09 PM:name=ssjyoda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ssjyoda @ Feb 27 2012, 03:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907466"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->V2 out, pathing issues should be fixed. Have fun playing/testing guys.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Really nice update.
    However, I would like to see the spawns being similar to NS1.
    The marines can currently spawn in waste.
    edited February 2012
    I'll check for misalignmemts when I het home, didn't notice any before.
    edit.. after checking, yes I see that there are a bunch of points that are less than 1/4 units off grid, some down as far as 1/32 off grid, that you could only see with alien vision on. Thanks for the heads up, I'll be more careful when copying faces.

I let the spawns all be random to be more similar to current ns2 maps, if it doesn't work ill then set marines to one spot only.
    edited February 2012
    Just some thoughts after playing the map in gathers:
    1. It's a bit tedious to place buildings around the satellite tech point, maybe make the space around it a tiny bit bigger.
    2. It's pretty easy for marines to lock down aliens. There are two major chokepoints in chemical/acidic and storage and when marines get to hold one of these (or even just send a suicide marine there every spawn), there's almost no way a drifter gets through there, even with lerk gas support. This is/will be a major issue with most NS1 remakes, I think. Sometimes you can get the odd drifter through to set up a hive, but getting some crags/whips to defend is extremely hard.
    3. One of the readyroom spawns may be underground, I only got stuck in the floor once.
    4. "And my fourth point is, er... The fourth one, I can't. Oops." (© Rick Perry)
    EDIT: 5. Waste hive is probably a huge issue, since double is too close to marine start to hold and cargo/acidic is too far away and easily sniped off by marines. Storage is the only viable path in and out. The vents around the back take a long time to go through and take you far away from the real action, and you also can't put cysts through there (not sure if gorge works), let alone drifters to get even a second hive up.

We played with NS1 spawns, since most players think extensive vents into marine base are pretty unbalanced.