All servers empty?

MetalGarretMetalGarret Join Date: 2011-12-24 Member: 138953Members
How come no one is playing this game? All I see are empty servers. What gives?

Comments

• NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2011
    Yeah that should be kinda obvious ^^
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    The player base took a big hit waiting for 188, and when 188 was released, it wasn't overall what the community needed, and the player count dropped significantly again.
  • MetalGarretMetalGarret Join Date: 2011-12-24 Member: 138953Members
    WEll actually I managed to get a game in and played for a bit with about 14 players. Needs polishing of course being a beta but Im even more excited now for this game to get finished.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1891550:date=Dec 24 2011, 04:30 PM:name=MetalGarret)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MetalGarret @ Dec 24 2011, 04:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891550"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How come no one is playing this game? All I see are empty servers. What gives?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1891554:date=Dec 24 2011, 04:47 PM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Dec 24 2011, 04:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891554"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's Christmas?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    edited December 2011
    To be fair, servers are empty or theres one server full most the time. It's not often you see many people playing.. max of 40 straight after patches.

Christmas has nothing to do with this, that's just supportive propaganda.

Especially considering how many people claim they're actively always playing on these forums... it ceases to amaze me we don't have 100 constant players with those claims but hey,.. happy Christmas.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1891570:date=Dec 25 2011, 02:50 AM:name=konata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (konata @ Dec 25 2011, 02:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891570"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To be fair, servers are empty or theres one server full most the time. It's not often you see many people playing.. max of 40 straight after patches.

Especially considering how many people claim they're actively always playing on these forums... it ceases to amaze me we don't have 100 constant players with those claims but hey,.. happy Christmas.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    To be fair, most servers can't handle the game in it's current state.
    Only a few servers are really worth playing on, and they are almost always either full or empty, depending on time of day.
    And if you look at the time when he posted, that's at a time where most people in europe spend time with their families for christmas.
    Your post is not correct. But hey, merry xmas ;)
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1891572:date=Dec 25 2011, 02:42 AM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Dec 25 2011, 02:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891572"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To be fair, most clients can't handle the game in it's current state.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Fixed!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1891575:date=Dec 24 2011, 07:46 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Dec 24 2011, 07:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891575"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fixed!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

.. which i don't get, don't most of you have systems that are at least mid range?
    idk, i get over 60 fps with my desktop, and around a somewhat playable 25 fps (during combat) with my four year old laptop.. <u>four years old</u>. granted it was a 3k laptop but hey..

i get the cpu bottleneck, but the client is really smooth right now, with the server not far behind (seen the player limits lately?)
    i guess i just dont see it, other than those that are screaming "wtf wai cant i get 60 fps with my 7300 and 2.2 ghz single core?!?11" etc etc
    My FPS can drop to as low as 25 if things get a little buzy on-screen with stuttering and mouse-lag as a direct consequence, which is absolutely unacceptable for me and I guess many others as well (and that is with an i7 4GHz by-the-by, many are below that), and this is with the current low player-count (10-14 at max). I don't count looking at a wall in ns2_rockdown as benchmarking either, so that may have something to do with it. Also, the specifications of the top NS2-servers are just off the chart to be honest, 4.5GHz for the Inversions I believe, 5GHz for AusPure, it's absolutely nuts, and they still cannot hold more than 12-16 players realistically.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about this, as I simply don't play the game until the performance is up to spec (don't have the time anyway, modding is very time-consuming), but the game is way way off proper performance levels at the moment. Given that eventually 32-player servers ought to be able to run on 2.5GHz cores easily, there's just a mountain of work to do.

Let me also stipulate we currently have no way to benchmark this game across systems consistently, so posting your framerate is a bit silly as it tells almost absolutely nothing about anything. This is something I can sort out very short-term if UWE gets around to implementing first-person spectating.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2011
    There are lot more factors than just client and server performance, but servers are a big reason why there are not that many players in general. (so i cant really 100% agree on that "fixed" comment - edit: guess you mean everything with client, server and players - so thats something i can agree on but still server is getting a bit far behind, requirements are as u said unacceptable - even a 64player bf3 doesnt need that much power i bet)

Alone the EU situation - there is only 1 Server thats playable at around 30ticks 24/7 (HBZ1)
    Thats 14 player slots for the whole EU.

So everybody that has a pc that can handle ns2 already good enough is forced to try get on that server.
    Everybody that is either new to ns2 or still dont know what a big impact the server has, will run away crying(if he tries it on any other server) no matter if his pc could in theory handle ns2 or not (may it be 30 or 120 fps, with tickrates below 25 everything feels like choppy *peep*)
    <!--quoteo(post=1891582:date=Dec 25 2011, 06:45 AM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Dec 25 2011, 06:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891582"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alone the EU situation - there is only 1 Server thats playable at around 30ticks 24/7 (HBZ1)
    Thats 14 player slots for the whole EU.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Aye true, even Australia has good servers and they don't even have proper internet. What's up with that?
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    That seems kind of offensive.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1891578:date=Dec 25 2011, 06:45 AM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Dec 25 2011, 06:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891578"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->.. which i don't get, don't most of you have systems that are at least mid range?
    idk, i get over 60 fps with my desktop, and around a somewhat playable 25 fps (during combat) with my four year old laptop.. <u>four years old</u>. granted it was a 3k laptop but hey..

i get the cpu bottleneck, but the client is really smooth right now, with the server not far behind (seen the player limits lately?)
    i guess i just dont see it, other than those that are screaming "wtf wai cant i get 60 fps with my 7300 and 2.2 ghz single core?!?11" etc etc<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with your point, but in what currency did your laptop cost 3k? :o
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    Hardly surprising really, i told them they should just of taken a chance and released update 190 as long as there were no game breaking bugs, i mean what's the worst that could of happened?, sure there might be a few bugs but we would of had something new to play with at least, i think they play it too safe sometimes, bugs are to be expected.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    The worst that could have happened is that <b>the game does not run</b>. I don't know if it's even possible for a non-developer to roll-back changes with Steam update.
    <!--quoteo(post=1891593:date=Dec 25 2011, 12:35 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Dec 25 2011, 12:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891593"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The worst that could have happened is that <b>the game does not run</b>. I don't know if it's even possible for a non-developer to roll-back changes with Steam update.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It is not. Steam requires your to play the current version (unless in offline mode and it doesn't know the game has been updated). You can't roll back updates as people who love Gmod found at this year and went apeShi- at garry who broke it and it took 2 days to get it working again.

And true, the client and server isn't up to par yet. In the future when they both are and the game is finished I am sure there will be full servers all around us.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    Xmas, private things, wait for new build with onos, thats my reason not to play right now.
  • acid_rainacid_rain NS2 NAPT Mascot Austin, TX Join Date: 2010-02-16 Member: 70588Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    I've been mapping all night ;)
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1891591:date=Dec 25 2011, 10:24 AM:name=Electr0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Electr0 @ Dec 25 2011, 10:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891591"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hardly surprising really, i told them they should just of taken a chance and released update 190 as long as there were no game breaking bugs, i mean what's the worst that could of happened?, sure there might be a few bugs but we would of had something new to play with at least, i think they play it too safe sometimes, bugs are to be expected.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I always think it's best to wait till the build is a bit more polished before releasing it. UWE have released several patches that have basically broke the game and then rather than people complaining that the patch isn't out yet, they are complaining about it being broken and buggy. I don't understand the point in releasing something if it's going to need a hotfix the next week. For me it just reduces the impact of all the cool new things in the update, because I become more focused on the bugs and problems. I think it's much better if they spend time fixing all those bugs so when it's released it runs nice a smooth without major problems.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    On the other hand too much time spent polishing a patch would be a waste because changes done later down the road will probably break it again anyway.
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Since 187, the game has lost most of its activity of players. The balance changes and the lack of significant performance increases has caused some users to go MIA or play other titles until NS2 has improved. I'm sure UWE is aware of it and would want users to play their product, but at this time, it seems they are in a phase where they are trying to figure things out in terms of balance while still attempting to implement content. Once they get everything worked out, I'm sure activity will pick back up. When that is, I'm not sure but I hope it's soon!
  • _Thresh__Thresh_ Join Date: 2008-01-11 Member: 63385Members
    edited December 2011
    It's tough as an NS1 player to comment on the broad "fun-ness" of the game and why there are so few players. Yes because it isn't finished, buy mostly because we sympathize with UW, their lack of resources and try to be consistent with the broad direction they've chosen with the respect to the NS1 changes.

A few good NS1 players like underwhelmed still comment every-so-often with a "none of these changes have added positively to the gameplay" trying to repeal some of the more 'set in stone' new mechanics. But apart from that, most NS1 vets just ghost the forums I suspect.

Not that any comments on the new mechanics matter given timelines, all we can do is hold on and hope continuous iteration will smooth the bumps.
    I think a lot of people who still play NS1 a lot will agree, the gorge changes are the worst. We don't want a class that just spams hydras and cysts.
  • blinblin Join Date: 2011-07-20 Member: 111290Members
    havent seen people playing in WEEKS

where the hell is everyone?
  • Mkk_BitestuffMkk_Bitestuff Join Date: 2003-01-17 Member: 12407Members
    Most NS1 players I know that have this game also don't really show a lot of interest, mainly because of the lower skill cap and slow movement/FPS. I'm sure as the FPS/servers improve more people will show some interest, but unless some of the current ideas/implementations change, I doubt they will actually play. This game has a long way to come in that area if it wishes to succeed and improve upon NS1.
  • _Thresh__Thresh_ Join Date: 2008-01-11 Member: 63385Members
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I still get a bit worried when "poor performance" and "missing content" are trotted out to explain the digital tumbleweeds.

Particularly on a 25000 beta tester sequel.
    Isn't poor performance the #1 complaint, regurgitated multiple times a week? Which is also the sole reason we do not have a lot of proper servers to play on, as well as the reason that people with laptops or 3-4 year old CPUs cannot (reasonably) play at this time. I understand your worry for the premature abondenment of this game, as it indeed has happened with many other games the past few months\years (eg. Nuclear Dawn, which now has a slightly better popularity only due to the free weekend and massive discounts).
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1891570:date=Dec 25 2011, 02:50 AM:name=konata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (konata @ Dec 25 2011, 02:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891570"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To be fair, servers are empty or theres one server full most the time. It's not often you see many people playing.. max of 40 straight after patches.

Especially considering how many people claim they're actively always playing on these forums... it ceases to amaze me we don't have 100 constant players with those claims but hey,.. happy Christmas.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You are such a ..... All I hear all the time is negative. Incredible how I can get pissed of by another post of you. And that christmas has nothing to do with the verrrrrrry low player numbers is just wrong! I just came back from a christmas trip with my GF, so I couldn't play for 4 days, and this thread is the first I read. I respect you and I agree with most of you arguments I read the last months, but pls be more positive and not such a pessimist. Nothing can grow with pessimism not a relation in RL or a game in development.

So I am sure the playerbase will be very low till 1. Or 2.1.12. Also I think DEVs are also on hollidays till then so NS2HD will be our hope to stay tuned even when you are snowboarding.
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2011
    Just to speak for myself...
    I am somewhat inactive because I was hoping for the onos and jetpack on 188 ... which didn't happen.
    Plus the bug with the alien spawn time just killed my motivation instantly... and I guess most people of HBZ feel somewhat similar.

The other reason is, that I am addicted to LoL currently..... >.>
    and of course..
    It is christmas and new years eve soon (which results in a huge party in germany)

anyway, I bet if the nex build brings onos, jetpacks and stuff I will go active again.... or, judging from past builds, I will go active again in b191, when all the bugs are fixed resulting of the implimentation of onos and JP ;-)