Loved NS1.. how is NS2?

KongKong Join Date: 2011-09-17 Member: 121778Members
Hey all,

Years ago I was an avid NS player, and loved the gameplay that it offered. Soo many great times on NS. I have been out of gaming for a while now though and just remembered that NS2 was being developed.

So how does it stack up in comparison to the first(I know its only in Beta)? It looks very similar to the first, which is a good thing in my opinion. Also when does it look like NS2 will be ready for an official release? (seems there are a good amount of issues with the beta).

Comments

• TrueVeritasTrueVeritas Join Date: 2006-10-20 Member: 58082Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1875200:date=Sep 17 2011, 01:48 PM:name=Kong)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kong @ Sep 17 2011, 01:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1875200"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey all,

Years ago I was an avid NS player, and loved the gameplay that it offered. Soo many great times on NS. I have been out of gaming for a while now though and just remembered that NS2 was being developed.

So how does it stack up in comparison to the first(I know its only in Beta)? It looks very similar to the first, which is a good thing in my opinion. Also when does it look like NS2 will be ready for an official release? (seems there are a good amount of issues with the beta).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

compared to the first? it's pretty terrible.

wait at least a year to buy it if you're going to.
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    You're going to get flamed by the fanboys for that.
  • autograderautograder Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106181Members
    To answer your questions:
    <ol type='1'><li>Comparison to NS1
    Like any sequel, it's not the first. It has a different flavor - I like it, you may not.</li><li>Release Date
    Unknown. Given the progress in the past year, I'd say 12months or less.</li></ol>
    If you wish to be a play tester then you can pre-order for this privileged/ability. Realize that being a play-tester is not for everyone, in fact only a small minority enjoy it. Generally every 2-6 weeks a new patch is released and the servers are full for a few days, maybe a week, but then it may be hard to find a full server.

The game itself is coming along, the immersion you feel is great - few games give me the feeling I do when a power node goes out - the sound, the lighting, etc are great. But it isn't finished, so there are bumps. But it is great to see how a game is developed, and be part of that process. This isn't for everyone.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Top issues right now are performance and movement code (pace and dynamics still feel sub-optimal). This is a true beta (some say alpha) and we are really testing and experiencing the problems and watch the game grow as it's being developed. This is not for everyone. If you expect a beta to be some kind of glorified demo then you should wait.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Visually up to date, gameplay is broken as it gets if you prefer much more forgiving, plain, unintellect and unchallenging style of play it is definetly worth trying.

Otherwise I recommend coming again in a year or so.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Sometimes I swear TrueVeritas is from FoxNews. :-/

The game is obviously not finished. It's in beta. There are a LOT of people enjoying this game, as is evidenced by NS2HD's tournament having 18 teams, and more people wanting to play that he can accommodate.

Yes NS2 has FPS issues and server issues, but those are being worked on in ernest as you can see on the progress page here: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/progress" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/progress</a> - 186 is going to be a HUGE patch.

The game is fun and it will get better in time. Join us in the beta testing and help us make it awesome! It's going to be Superb.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Well said Obraxis, I would just say TrueVeritas is an Ass. frankly it surprises me that someone can be so negative but yet still play the game. Why not just Shut Up and not say anything unless it will help? sounds great too me!
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1875226:date=Sep 17 2011, 06:04 PM:name=WasabiOne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WasabiOne @ Sep 17 2011, 06:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1875226"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well said Obraxis, I would just say TrueVeritas is an Ass. frankly it surprises me that someone can be so negative but yet still play the game. Why not just Shut Up and not say anything unless it will help? sounds great too me!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe he doesn't still play? Probably just logs in after patches for a few minutes like the rest of the playerbase.

When compared to NS1; NS2 sucks. That's not really a fair comparison though.

Don't forget, the core developers of NS1 are still around making NS2. While NS2 isn't there yet I have no doubt it will be. Like TrueVeritas and TrC said, if you want a fun and finish product come back in a year.
  • TrueVeritasTrueVeritas Join Date: 2006-10-20 Member: 58082Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1875229:date=Sep 17 2011, 05:31 PM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Sep 17 2011, 05:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1875229"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe he doesn't still play? Probably just logs in after patches for a few minutes like the rest of the playerbase.

When compared to NS1; NS2 sucks. That's not really a fair comparison though.

Don't forget, the core developers of NS1 are still around making NS2. While NS2 isn't there yet I have no doubt it will be. Like TrueVeritas and TrC said, if you want a fun and finish product come back in a year.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

QFT
  • meb3meb3 Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106078Members
    coming from a long history of playing ns, I agree with Veritas. the NS2 beta is very difficult to recommend to my friends right now, and I would wait to see what another year of development brings for the game before buying it (unless you want to help the devs out - as a lot of us did)

here's a nice way to see if the game is fun enough to play:

go to <a href="http://play4dead.com/ns2/" target="_blank">http://play4dead.com/ns2/</a> and click the orange link at the top that tells you how many people are currently playing NS2 on servers with an admin system installed. I'll be trying NS2 again when there are 200 players or more playing the game at once, which, to me, signals a healthy enough multiplayer game
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Not very good, particularly if you're coming off of NS1, it's a lot slower and still isn't very playable due to framerates and latency.

As said, probably best to come back when it's finished, although when that will be nobody has any idea.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1875242:date=Sep 17 2011, 08:15 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Sep 17 2011, 08:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1875242"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As said, probably best to come back when it's finished, although when that will be nobody has any idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or, play the perfectly playable game and help finish the game by playing, submitting bugs and if possible fixes & ideas rather than just complain.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited September 2011
    "Perfectly playable" is a highly subjective term.

Well, actually no it isn't, perfectly playable is like the perfect game, or at least a very very good game, NS2 might be playable if you are fortunate enough to have a system that likes it and live next to one of the major servers, but I find it hard to imagine anybody calling it 'perfectly' so, as that implies that it needs no improvement.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited September 2011
    NS2 needs work. I'd give it time considering it's still in early beta.

As others have said before; if your not satisfied now, come back later when it's more optimized.
  • MaGicBushMaGicBush Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10378Members
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sometimes I swear TrueVeritas is from FoxNews. :-/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Eh what?

The game is great, but missing many features. If you want to and help test buy it, if not wait at least a few month's till the game has all the intended features in a few month's(which is actually the definition of Beta, but to each his own I suppose).
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're going to get flamed by the fanboys for that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What there are ppl in the ns2 forum that really like ns2 - must be mindless fanboys...

PS: i m having lots of fun in ns2 - even tho not everything is perfect or worked out right yet.
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1875245:date=Sep 18 2011, 01:36 AM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Sep 18 2011, 01:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1875245"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or, play the perfectly playable game and help finish the game by playing, submitting bugs and if possible fixes & ideas rather than just complain.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Definition of playable varies among the community.

There's just able to play where you get 'hitching', FPS lag, lack of features, client hit registration is about 1 in 5, lack of levels etc.

Or there is playable where the game is feature complete, your bullets aren't rubber and you get at least 60FPS smooth on hardware which is of a 8xxx/9xxx Nvidia range; which is pretty standard for a DX9 level game.

I think I'd be inclined to wait for the second option, which I am taking, and would follow chris and meb in where the hardcore community is just cut off from the gaming community. It's coming along, but really slow. I like to play my games when they're playable.

EDIT: As of now, there's 37 servers and 19 players online. Which makes me sad, along with meb. :(
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited September 2011
    @topic
    i guess Ns2 will be a nice new game (if it will be done), but i realy miss a lot of stuff of ns1 like the building gorge.

I also hate the flamethrower so much, there is nothing you can do if you burn as alien, so its a (instant) death (for skulks, gorges and lerks...).
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1875245:date=Sep 18 2011, 12:36 AM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Sep 18 2011, 12:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1875245"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or, play the perfectly playable game and help finish the game by playing, submitting bugs and if possible fixes & ideas rather than just complain.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It might be playable for a modern rig, but calling it <b>perfectly</b> playable is a FoxNews level of a stretch.

---

As for NS1 comparsion in general, it depends a lot on what you enjoyed in NS1.

If you want to play an occassional FPS with RTS mixed in, get the feeling of two teams dramatically clashing each other in spaceship corridors NS2 is probably pretty passable experience, at least once it's a bit further in development. The game is a lot more accessible in terms of picking up a gun and getting to blast stuff without having to go through the process of spraying walls with the default peashooter for 10 minutes.

However, if you enjoyed the precision of NS1 controls, the possibilities of understanding the game further and the somewhat unforgiving, but double the rewarding learning curve, this might not be the game for you. A lot of features are more accessible, but don't seem as versatile and rewarding as the NS1 counterparts once you got past all the learning curve bumps and barriers. A lot of the interesting things can of course come up as the game gets refined and polished, but so far the design direction seems to favour the more casual approach by a huge margin.

I belong to the latter school of players, so I'm probably not the guy to give you the best sales pitch.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    oh the sadness of me not being able to play ns2 anymore. I love the game because of the devs mainly, theyre an indie team who has built their own engine to service not only their own game, but other games in the future.

I say buy it now, even if you aren't going to play it straight away, at least you are helping the dev team out. And while you're at it, go grab a copy of overgrowth, because those guys also deserve some financial support.

I also love ns2 because of the graphics, so high res.

In about a year, I'll be starting up gaming again, so it will be interesting to see how far ns2 has come by then... and how well it will play on my to be purchased in about a year or 2 30" display hehehe.

As it stands, the ns2 community is a fairly standard bunch. You got the really nice people who offer their oppinions and don't bash on others, then you have the plain annoying people who TLDR any idea longer than 2 sentences. Then you got the lerkers, and then theres people like me who complain about others, but still do want to support the game and community in general.

I've never played ns1, but from what I've seen, ns2 is feeling great, it has an immersive atmosphere, a mostly good emphasis on teamwork, and it's always improving.

Unless the game is showing no potential, please please please stop telling people to not buy the game, if these people can spare $40 to help support development of ns2, then let them... and encourage them to.
  • KongKong Join Date: 2011-09-17 Member: 121778Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1875316:date=Sep 18 2011, 06:07 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Sep 18 2011, 06:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1875316"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->However, if you enjoyed the precision of NS1 controls, the possibilities of understanding the game further and the somewhat unforgiving, but double the rewarding learning curve, this might not be the game for you. A lot of features are more accessible, but don't seem as versatile and rewarding as the NS1 counterparts once you got past all the learning curve bumps and barriers. A lot of the interesting things can of course come up as the game gets refined and polished, but so far the design direction seems to favour the more casual approach by a huge margin.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Eh, I liked NS1 in that regard. However, I have hope for NS2..
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1875312:date=Sep 18 2011, 11:46 AM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Sep 18 2011, 11:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1875312"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@topic
    i guess Ns2 will be a nice new game (if it will be done), but i realy miss a lot of stuff of ns1 like the building gorge.

I also hate the flamethrower so much, there is nothing you can do if you burn as alien, so its a (instant) death (for skulks, gorges and lerks...).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Erhm? Instant death? Sounds like the very early flamethrower, when it just came into the game.
    Now you can pretty reliably kill the flamer, before you die yourself, or even survive as a skulk.
    Gorge's have no problems with the flamers, they never get inside the range of it. Unless they are very bad ofc.
    Lerks are more like a hard counters to Flamers/shotguns, don't see where you are getting all this from..
  • TheDamageTheDamage Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7348Members
    If you have a good PC, buy it. It's a beta but you know what that means.

Even in beta it has better gameplay then most AAA titles.
    <!--quoteo(post=1881213:date=Oct 22 2011, 05:26 PM:name=TheDamage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheDamage @ Oct 22 2011, 05:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881213"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Even in beta it has better gameplay then most AAA titles.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What makes it better than most AAA titles?

My bullets hit in all sorts of other games but they don't in this. I'd say NS2 has potential but you're over hyping it unfairly to others.
  • TheDamageTheDamage Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7348Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1881222:date=Oct 22 2011, 12:14 PM:name=konata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (konata @ Oct 22 2011, 12:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881222"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What makes it better than most AAA titles?

My bullets hit in all sorts of other games but they don't in this. I'd say NS2 has potential but you're over hyping it unfairly to others.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Innovative and ambitious gameplay. Immersion and variety. Art, sound and lighting.

Your overhyping the bullet registration issue unfairly to others.

Either way, I highly recommend any fan of NS1 to drop the duckets and get NS2, your going to eventually might as well help make the game better.
  • paellapaella Join Date: 2007-03-23 Member: 60463Members, Constellation
    I assume by "duckets" you mean "ducats", the pre-ww1 currency used throughout Europe.
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    Perhaps he means Duckettes, though why you'd call female ducks that, let-alone use them as a currency is beyond me.
  • NarcilNarcil Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41426Members
    If you liked NS1 just do what I and I think most other NS1 players did and pre-order NS2. That way you can thank the devs for the game I/we spent countless hours playing for free.

Then fire it up and realise that the devs seem to have (currently) decided to head in a different direction in relation to the pacing of the game and ns1 speed/skill/rewarding style of play.

Then leave it a few months and fire up the next build hoping something has changed. If it hasn't change by the time the game is finally released then I wont be upset about my money going towards ns2 as I got such satisfaction from ns1, but I wont be playing it (if it ends up in the direction its currently heading towards).
  • _Thresh__Thresh_ Join Date: 2008-01-11 Member: 63385Members
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1881554:date=Oct 24 2011, 06:07 PM:name=Narcil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Narcil @ Oct 24 2011, 06:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881554"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you liked NS1 just do what I and I think most other NS1 players did and pre-order NS2. That way you can thank the devs for the game I/we spent countless hours playing for free.

Then fire it up and realise that the devs seem to have (currently) decided to head in a different direction in relation to the pacing of the game and ns1 speed/skill/rewarding style of play.

Then leave it a few months and fire up the next build hoping something has changed. If it hasn't change by the time the game is finally released then I wont be upset about my money going towards ns2 as I got such satisfaction from ns1, but I wont be playing it (if it ends up in the direction its currently heading towards).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Truth. I bought six copies of NS2 for my x thousand hours spent playing NS1. Was tough to play any other game after the masterpiece which was NS1 skulk movement. If they can reproduce that level of gameplay, NS2 will be epic.
  • RichardRahlRichardRahl Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104594Members
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1875215:date=Sep 17 2011, 04:36 PM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Sep 17 2011, 04:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1875215"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sometimes I swear TrueVeritas is from FoxNews. :-/

The game is obviously not finished. It's in beta. There are a LOT of people enjoying this game, as is evidenced by NS2HD's tournament having 18 teams, and more people wanting to play that he can accommodate.

Yes NS2 has FPS issues and server issues, but those are being worked on in ernest as you can see on the progress page here: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/progress" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/progress</a> - 186 is going to be a HUGE patch.

The game is fun and it will get better in time. Join us in the beta testing and help us make it awesome! It's going to be Superb.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Cause you know the what is it up to now? 500$ prize has nothing to do with it? Gaurenteed if it wasn't a free entry the number of teams would drop drastically.