Steam Holiday Sale

Comments

• SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1858212:date=Jul 6 2011, 01:14 AM:name=DiscoZombie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DiscoZombie @ Jul 6 2011, 01:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858212"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wonder whether I would like New Vegas. I didn't get very far in Fallout 3. Felt like too much aimless wandering. Same reason I've never really completed an Elder Scrolls game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Strange, you always have a main mission to do and I felt the sidemission just kept piling up faster than I could bother finishing them, both in Elder Scrolls and Fallout 3. At least New Vegas feels closer to the originals than FO3 is.
  • JediYoshiJediYoshi The Cupcake Boss Join Date: 2002-05-27 Member: 674Members
    Everyone must purchase Frozen Synapse.

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9jJrUY27O0Y"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9jJrUY27O0Y" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

It's past its daily deal, but it's only a dollar or two different from the overall sale price.

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/teIGUz47NGM"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/teIGUz47NGM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    SANCTUM!!!!

Tower Defense while running around shooting them.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    Frozen synapse looks kewl

I just caved and bought commandos 2: men of courage it was $3.34
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1858224:date=Jul 6 2011, 01:15 AM:name=Svenpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Svenpa @ Jul 6 2011, 01:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858224"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Strange, you always have a main mission to do and I felt the sidemission just kept piling up faster than I could bother finishing them, both in Elder Scrolls and Fallout 3. At least New Vegas feels closer to the originals than FO3 is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You found that side quests in Fallout 3 piled up faster than side quests in New Vegas?
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1858642:date=Jul 7 2011, 05:22 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Jul 7 2011, 05:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858642"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->SANCTUM!!!!

Tower Defense while running around shooting them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think Trenched is a better shooter/tower defense hybrid. More variety and character. Of course it is not on the pc -_-
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1858646:date=Jul 8 2011, 02:09 AM:name=X_Stickman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (X_Stickman @ Jul 8 2011, 02:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858646"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You found that side quests in Fallout 3 piled up faster than side quests in New Vegas?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Can't remember, I only mentioned FO3 because it's less of a true successor to FO1-2 than NV, imo.
    So far I've picked up Frozen Synapse, Atom Zombie Smasher, and Sanctum along with a bunch of DLC for other games.

<!--quoteo(post=1858655:date=Jul 7 2011, 06:26 PM:name=DiscoZombie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DiscoZombie @ Jul 7 2011, 06:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858655"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think Trenched is a better shooter/tower defense hybrid. More variety and character. Of course it is not on the pc -_-<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

To be fair, the people from Double Fine who worked on Trenched probably had more resources at their disposal.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1858673:date=Jul 8 2011, 05:18 AM:name=JediYoshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JediYoshi @ Jul 8 2011, 05:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858673"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Atom Zombie Smasher<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What's your experience with it? I find that it is crushingly hard. It is very, very possible to win every single mission and still lose the game. In fact, I've just described almost every game I've played, and the 'almost' is because I haven't always won every single mission, not because I've ever managed to win the game. Because I haven't.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    Dead Space 2, £10. Sold!
    Bought Dirt 3. Just now sitting on Nation Red and Dreamfall in my cart.

<!--quoteo(post=1858676:date=Jul 7 2011, 08:31 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jul 7 2011, 08:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858676"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What's your experience with it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

On normal it's pretty brutal for me. I almost always play on casual. There's some important mechanics I swear I don't recall them going over in the tutorial, like being able to reposition snipers and move infantry which I picked up on pretty late. The developer's other game, Flotilla, is pretty nifty as well.
  • MotherGooseMotherGoose Join Date: 2002-03-12 Member: 308Members, Constellation
    got mass effect 1 and 2 for $6au ea
    got supreme commander 2 for $3au
    got amnesia: dark descent for $5au
    got Fallout 1,2 and tactics for $5au
    got the Square pack (16-17games) for $65au
    <i>includes Batman AA GOTY, Just Cause 2, Front Mission Evolved, FFXI, Deus Ex + IW, Thief 1 and 2, about 4 or 5 Tomb Raider Games, Sup Commander2, Kane & Lynch 1 & 2, conflict; denied ops, the hitman games.</i>

Bio shock 1 and 2 for $6 ea
    Audio surf $1
    Fallout 3 GOTY $12
    CoH + OF +ToV $22

BAM!
    Not a holiday, but if anyone still doesn't have Batman: AA it's 75% off atm. I am only taking the time to post this because this might be the only game that came out in the last 10 years that I've liked enough to play to 100% completion multiple times.
    Just to repurpose this thread, <a href="http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DARKSIDERS/darksiders" target="_blank">Darksiders is currently $5 on gamersgate</a>. Steamworks so it's redeemable on Steam.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1866571:date=Aug 5 2011, 03:10 AM:name=JediYoshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JediYoshi @ Aug 5 2011, 03:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866571"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just to repurpose this thread, <a href="http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DARKSIDERS/darksiders" target="_blank">Darksiders is currently $5 on gamersgate</a>. Steamworks so it's redeemable on Steam.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'd heavily recommend jumping on this deal. If you're a God of War fan then Darksiders is a teeny tiny step down from that series, but very close to as good as they are. In some ways I liked it more, it was a little less linear and more open worldy.
    Not a holiday per se, but Alpha Protocol is $2 today. I can't vouch for the game yet because I just jumped on the deal, but definitely one I've been wanting to try, and $2 is a good price point for a somewhat big name game that's only a year old.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1876412:date=Sep 22 2011, 03:27 PM:name=DiscoZombie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DiscoZombie @ Sep 22 2011, 03:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1876412"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not a holiday per se, but Alpha Protocol is $2 today. I can't vouch for the game yet because I just jumped on the deal, but definitely one I've been wanting to try, and $2 is a good price point for a somewhat big name game that's only a year old.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Think Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Except worse shooty parts. More RPG elements. Way better story imo (which you can change the order of and the game will reference this fact and it changes things drastically). Granted, the levels will feel more linear and maxing out any weapon imbalances the game.

I recommend playing through on the Recruit difficulty. You'll start out a little weaker, but the extra dialogue and challenge (I breezed through even on Hard) are totally worth it.
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder &quot;Das est NTLDR?&quot; Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    Alpha protocol is still on sale and I heartily recommend it. Been really hooked into it since I bought it yesterday. I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying the dialogue trees...

Also, Company of Heroes is on sale as well and if you don't own it already get it now. It's made by Relic and has some of the best voice/audio work I've ever heard in a game and the campaigns are good too, but the multiplayer is even better with a robust community even through the years after the game is released.

If you liked Dawn of War but disliked Dawn of War 2 because of the squad-level changes, don't worry you'll love Company of Heroes, it's basically the same sort of RTS-style as Dawn of War (resource points around the map you have to capture and your own base back at home) but set in ww2. It has the DoW-1 style of masses of nameless, faceless units unlike the 'everybody is a hero' style of DoW2. There are also no RPG elements whatsoever, it's a pure RTS. <3

I've probably put more hours into that game than any other, except EVE -_-;;
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited September 2011
    AP is definitely a very underrated game. That Deus Ex got praised despite its many, many shortcomings and AP got ripped apart for similar yet different problems is ridiculous.

Unlike DX, your decisions actually matter in AP, the dialog system is a hell of a lot better, and the writing and voice acting is excellent. The characters are a bit cliche, but they're certainly characters. The combat isn't the greatest as the AI is pretty stupid, but to be honest, you don't play this game for the shooting. I loved how they did the dialog, where I have very limited time to pick an option so it's much harder to smooth-talk your way through things (whereas in DX, you can stand there in awkward silence for five minutes analyzing what you want to say).

A flawed, but good game, not unlike Deus Ex.
  • MisfireMisfire Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5764Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1876837:date=Sep 25 2011, 03:20 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Sep 25 2011, 03:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1876837"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->AP is definitely a very underrated game. That Deus Ex got praised despite its many, many shortcomings and AP got ripped apart for similar yet different problems is ridiculous.

Unlike DX, your decisions actually matter in AP, the dialog system is a hell of a lot better, and the writing and voice acting is excellent. The characters are a bit cliche, but they're certainly characters. The combat isn't the greatest as the AI is pretty stupid, but to be honest, you don't play this game for the shooting. I loved how they did the dialog, where I have very limited time to pick an option so it's much harder to smooth-talk your way through things (whereas in DX, you can stand there in awkward silence for five minutes analyzing what you want to say).

A flawed, but good game, not unlike Deus Ex.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nice, sounds promising, picked it up for $2 can't wait to give it a try because I loved Deus Ex even with all its flaws that made the gameplay humorous.
  • PaniggPanigg Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58212Members
    edited September 2011
    Just finished Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes - quite addictive... it's a puzzle fighting game and it's really fun and difficult.

Costs 13 bucks or so and it has a playtime of about 25-30 hours.

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ag9bEqeTOh8"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ag9bEqeTOh8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

So far I can't say anything bad about the game... it starts off weird with you not being able to move freely... and the fights are truly hard... but once you get used to the mechanics it becomes easier and really fun.
    <!--quoteo(post=1876837:date=Sep 25 2011, 12:20 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Sep 25 2011, 12:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1876837"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->AP is definitely a very underrated game. That Deus Ex got praised despite its many, many shortcomings and AP got ripped apart for similar yet different problems is ridiculous.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The biggest advantage DX had over AP is it felt smoother overall, so it's much easier to just shuffle the bad things under the rug. Like the XP system in DX was a tad silly. Stealth was rewarded way too much. Stealth+takedowns just let you buy every augmentation.

The biggest drawback in AP vs DX for me was that sometimes I'd pick something and what was said wasn't quite what I wanted. DX let you see a bit better what you were going to say. However, I felt more rewarded for being stealthy sometimes in AP. Granted, stealth also could mean using the Pistol's special ability to take down everyone in the room instantly, but it was a choice. I always felt bad killing people in DX, like I wasn't doing it right. For AP, kills versus tranqs and sneaky sneaky all felt valid.

Oh, and the characters in AP were superior. Especially some of the bad guys. I really, really was glad I managed to get to kill one of them specifically.
    edited September 2011
    The biggest advantage AP has over DX is that it's two euros. Seriously if the game manages to entertain me for like an hour at that price I'll consider that an okay purchase.

Edit: I'm conflicted by now. The game is such a shoddy console part that I feel insulted to have awarded the developer and publisher with any kind of money at all.

Also, I don't like the dialog system. I DO like that there's a time limit, but it's bull###### that NOT picking an option makes me say stuff at random. NOT picking an option should mean I don't say anything, not that my cerebral cortex spazzes out and makes me say things I never intended to say. That makes no sense at all.
    It's important that games make me own my decisions. Both because the player has to feel that he is in control, but also because this makes it harder for the gamer to rationalize his failings as "the game is ###### and the developers are ###### for making a ###### game." If I don't pick an option before the time limit runs out and my guy stays silent, that's a decision I can own. But when my guy says something I don't agree with, that just tells me that I am not in control of the game and it's basically running its own show.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    I got AP too because it was £1.50, which is cheaper than a pint.

Just ran through the opening and while I enjoy the "game" part of it so far, the port is <i>horrible</i>. The game runs poorly on my comp (which while not great, is not crap either). It took ~10 seconds to load after picking the PDA up at the start, for example, and starting a hack/bypass/lockpick freezes the game for a few seconds before it starts. The controls are mapped terribly too; aiming with the mouse feels more like batting an analogue stick in the rough direction you want to go rather than smooth aiming, and WASD has just been copied straight from an analogue stick without regard for smoothing out the animations or input. Face forward, press A, and you teleport to facing/moving left rather than rotating around or smoothly moving. Which is just terrible.

Unless it's like that on consoles, which is also terrible.

That said though, the game part of the game is actually pretty fun so far.
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    A lot of the mechanics in AvP don't make no sense.

I think they were on crack when they made it.
    The controls for the computer hacking minigame are also very clearly made with two analog sticks in mind, and the straight conversion to wasd and mouse doesn't work very well. Also if you rebind the keys, the key prompts in the minigame don't update so it's up to you to figure out what button locks the character sequence in place.
    I didn't even notice the crappy port stuff. Now that you mention it, yeah, the hacking minigame is janky on the PC, but I can't think of any way they could have improved it. They could have made you switch your right hand to the arrow keys or something but I would find that even more awkward and annoying. The game generally looks good and runs great on my PC at max-ish settings.

Also a lot of reviews say the save system is lame and outdated. Of course I love quick saves as much as the next guy, but I don't think they'd fit in well in this game. It's similar to LA Noire in that you're not really supposed to play the game as a superman who gets every answer right and never messes up, you're supposed to go with your gut and have a more organic gaming experience.

I also think it would be bizarre and not fit in with the game if pressing no buttons in a conversation made you say nothing. Standing there awkwardly would not fit in with what the game is trying to do, and just walking away from the person you're talking too would be equally bizarre. Also, how would the plot advance if you could refuse to talk to any and all characters?
    Well they'd have to change the chat system.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    edited October 2011
    So, I could have sworn it was this thread, but apparently it isn't.

Any one remember the website that lets you set up a watch list of video games, and will alert you when they drop below a set price?

Ninja Edit:
    Cheapassgamer.com
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    hmmm... I bought AP but haven't played it yet. Judging by all these remarks I guess I should ask if it's possible to play the PC version with a controller as that might make it a bit more playable by the sound of things :3