Steam Holiday Sale

Comments

• SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1818609:date=Dec 22 2010, 09:33 PM:name=DiscoZombie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DiscoZombie @ Dec 22 2010, 09:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1818609"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->read a good article on Ars recently about steam's pricing and what it's doing to us.

<a href="http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/12/low-prices-low-expectations-ars-looks-at-indie-game-pricing.ars" target="_blank">http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/12...ame-pricing.ars</a>

It's true. With such great sales so frequently, I'm sure never paying full price for a game again.

Then again, I never paid full price *before* either. So I'm definitely buying more games now.

Oh, to be a kid again, and actually have time to play all these affordable games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think indie developers have the idea wrong when the raise concerns like this. What were the options for indie developers before steam sales? Beg their local brick and mortar stores to carry stock of their products? Sell online to people who wandered onto your website? From where? Banner adds? Digg? Seriously, in the time before steam the only thing an indie developer could hope for was public discovery of the likes of minecraft, and that was a one in a million thing. These days a game like jolly roger doesn't have to be bulletproof spectacular, it just has to get on the steam frontpage from time to time and the developer will do ok. Honestly, I bet in terms of raw numbers, many of these midrange indie games out outselling the midrange AAA titles.

The idea that people will happily shell out 60$ for a game and indie games could be making SOOOO much more money is RIDICULOUS. I buy 1, maby 2 games a year at full price, and then I'll buy maby 4-5 games that I've been waiting for to come on sale. I've ALREADY bought something like 15 indie games this year. They're small, they're affordable, they are worth $2.50-5.00 to give it a shot and see how things go. If an indie developer knocks something out of the park when they release their next game, whenever that is, I'll buy it for 10.00 if it's content that interests me. If these games didn't have the steam system, they would never even have me as a prospective customer, let along any of the other hundreds of thousands of gamers like me. The game industry is making it unrealistic to be a gamer who really has your fingers in alot of pots, and consequently, most gamers aren't really very deep in the grip of the AAA market. The indie market has FAR more come along side us and been available and interesting.
  • BloodhouseBloodhouse Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72369Members
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1818927:date=Dec 24 2010, 01:31 AM:name=Nil_IQ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nil_IQ @ Dec 24 2010, 01:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1818927"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I got it when it was on special for $20, and the 2 "expansalones" are definitely worth 10 bucks each. How much is it on sale for?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

£13.39 so about 20 bucks still.

Mass Effect 2 dropped to £9.99 wooo
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1819027:date=Dec 24 2010, 04:10 AM:name=Bloodhouse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bloodhouse @ Dec 24 2010, 04:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819027"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->£13.39 so about 20 bucks still.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Wronggg.

If you're buying from in the USA, it's $13.39. Steam prices are based on local currency, not one global rate.
  • ANeMANeM Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16267Members, Constellation
    Fallout New Vegas is 40% off today (50% if you have FO3 on Steam)
    As someone who asked for it for Christmas this is agnoizing
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1819145:date=Dec 24 2010, 01:22 PM:name=ANeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ANeM @ Dec 24 2010, 01:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819145"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fallout New Vegas is 40% off today (50% if you have FO3 on Steam)
    As someone who asked for it for Christmas this is agnoizing<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But the real question is 1) worth it? and 2) do I have time to play it before it goes on sale again in the summer?
  • BloodhouseBloodhouse Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72369Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1819074:date=Dec 24 2010, 03:19 PM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Dec 24 2010, 03:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819074"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wronggg.

If you're buying from in the USA, it's $13.39. Steam prices are based on local currency, not one global rate.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow. Lucky them .
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1819275:date=Dec 24 2010, 11:15 PM:name=Bloodhouse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bloodhouse @ Dec 24 2010, 11:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819275"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow. Lucky them .<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Common debate...

Americans don't actually pay any more than the English relative to their paychecks. A burger from McDonalds costs 5$ in the US, and 5 pounds in the UK. The cost of living is equivalent whether you consider dollars or pounds.

If you normally work in the US and you want to buy a game while you're visiting the UK, yeah you're screwed. But if you work in the UK and convert your salary to USD you are making more than the equivalent job in the USA.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1819285:date=Dec 25 2010, 04:32 AM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Dec 25 2010, 04:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819285"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Common debate...

Americans don't actually pay any more than the English relative to their paychecks. A burger from McDonalds costs 5$ in the US, and 5 pounds in the UK. The cost of living is equivalent whether you consider dollars or pounds.

If you normally work in the US and you want to buy a game while you're visiting the UK, yeah you're screwed. But if you work in the UK and convert your salary to USD you are making more than the equivalent job in the USA.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yet the Pound still has a higher exchange value. So one kinda has to wonder, ya, sure UK people pay more for eveything, but how did their money get so valuable in the first place?
  • PaniggPanigg Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58212Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1819157:date=Dec 24 2010, 11:20 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Dec 24 2010, 11:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819157"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But the real question is 1) worth it? and 2) do I have time to play it before it goes on sale again in the summer?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes to both.

It's good. And if you skip some of the sidequests you should be done real quick. I'd say the gametime ranges from 30 - 80 hours.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    30 hours is real quick? O.o
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1819026:date=Dec 24 2010, 07:59 AM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Dec 24 2010, 07:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819026"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think indie developers have the idea wrong when the raise concerns like this. What were the options for indie developers before steam sales? Beg their local brick and mortar stores to carry stock of their products? Sell online to people who wandered onto your website? From where? Banner adds? Digg? Seriously, in the time before steam the only thing an indie developer could hope for was public discovery of the likes of minecraft, and that was a one in a million thing. These days a game like jolly roger doesn't have to be bulletproof spectacular, it just has to get on the steam frontpage from time to time and the developer will do ok. Honestly, I bet in terms of raw numbers, many of these midrange indie games out outselling the midrange AAA titles.

The idea that people will happily shell out 60$ for a game and indie games could be making SOOOO much more money is RIDICULOUS. I buy 1, maby 2 games a year at full price, and then I'll buy maby 4-5 games that I've been waiting for to come on sale. I've ALREADY bought something like 15 indie games this year. They're small, they're affordable, they are worth $2.50-5.00 to give it a shot and see how things go. If an indie developer knocks something out of the park when they release their next game, whenever that is, I'll buy it for 10.00 if it's content that interests me. If these games didn't have the steam system, they would never even have me as a prospective customer, let along any of the other hundreds of thousands of gamers like me. The game industry is making it unrealistic to be a gamer who really has your fingers in alot of pots, and consequently, most gamers aren't really very deep in the grip of the AAA market. The indie market has FAR more come along side us and been available and interesting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So if you're used to getting beaten within an inch of your life every day you shouldn't complain if it only happens every other day? I agree with the rest of your post, I just didn't like the first point.
  • PaniggPanigg Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58212Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1819923:date=Dec 29 2010, 01:06 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Dec 29 2010, 01:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819923"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->30 hours is real quick? O.o<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well you could do it much quicker. I guess I could finish the game in 6-7 hours if I only follow the mainquest. But 30 was more of a "ok, I've never played this game before and have no idea where to go" kinda way.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    I picked up Crysis: Warhead in anticipation of the next release of MW:LL, which'll be warhead-only.

--Scythe--
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1819953:date=Dec 28 2010, 09:00 PM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Dec 28 2010, 09:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819953"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I picked up Crysis: Warhead in anticipation of the next release of MW:LL, which'll be warhead-only.

--Scythe--<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh dang, that's actually a good point.

Although I will also require a new computer to play Crysis without choking on minimum settings...
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    If anyone is not in the loop, Steam is doing it again. I am probably going to spend my whole paycheck on this circus of values.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    edited July 2011
    Bought <b>BloodBowl Legendary Edition</b> (£10), with very mixed results.

So far I have crashed twice playing a campaign losing around 5 hours of play in total. Very surprised there isn't an autosave or even a UI-embedded save option after completing matches. <b>[Edit - there is a 'Save without Quitting' option located in the 'Quit' menu. That about sums up how intuitive the UI is!]</b> It seems to mean you have to navigate all the way back to the front end, save, and return to your game after every single match in case the game mysteriously crashes. Considering the game doesn't have a lot going on in terms of runtime functions (it's not very complicated in terms of rendering, visual fidelity, physics plus it's turn-based), it shouldn't be crashing with this frequency.

The game has very low production values. The tutorial is awful and terribly presented by two really annoying commentators (I turned off both that and the shoddy music with only SFX left on). You need to rely on the official Games Workshop rules the studio has literally (as in they've screen-grabbed PDFs or something) copy-pasted in. The UI is also very lacklustre in terms of communicating information. You have to randomly stab at things with the mouse to see if they do anything. You cant rebind your controls or even see a list of controls in-game.

The only things saving it is that they seem to have copied the board game rules wholesale, the AI is scripted fairly competently (different teams actually have different scripted playstyles) and the campaign should offer a decent learning curve (once you've read the rulebook), which makes the TBS and management gameplay very solid.

So, annoying and disappointing that I've lost progress on two different tournaments (including team member fatalities and upgrade choices, which really shape your experience with your team). Anyone know if there are any 3rd-party patches to fix the crashing?

<b>[Edit2]</b> Lost another 2 hours of progress. The game's really good, but wasting my time isn't. Sigh.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    Only bought SW Battlefront 2 so far (£1.50).

The only other tempting one was Witcher 2 for ~£22, but I daren't risk the wrath of my ISP for the 19GB download that potentially has to be re-downloaded for every patch (I know they said they fixed it but won't take the chance).
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    hl for $2.49

BOOM MORE STEAMIDS
  • Konohas Perverted HermitKonohas Perverted Hermit Join Date: 2008-09-26 Member: 65075Members
    Go ahead and buy all these games you WANT to play or don't have yet, chances are you wont be able to download them from Steam anytime soon.
  • JediYoshiJediYoshi The Cupcake Boss Join Date: 2002-05-27 Member: 674Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1857865:date=Jul 4 2011, 02:42 AM:name=Konohas Perverted Hermit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Konohas Perverted Hermit @ Jul 4 2011, 02:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1857865"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Go ahead and buy all these games you WANT to play or don't have yet, chances are you wont be able to download them from Steam anytime soon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nah.
    So far for me, Darksiders for $5 and the Penny Arcade games for $1.50 combined. Darksiders is pretty good. I wasn't expecting it to be a sort of Metroidvania game. Your dude moves too slow though, I am getting bored waiting for him to trudge around, and if I miss a jump, having to run all the way around again...
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    Terraria looks pretty good as a 2D, 4-player cross between Minecraft and Dwarf Fortress (lite).
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    Metro 2033 is on sale.

If you missed that thread about it, well, I'll sum it up: ###### get it. Extremely underrated game.
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1857965:date=Jul 4 2011, 03:42 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Jul 4 2011, 03:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1857965"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Metro 2033 is on sale.

If you missed that thread about it, well, I'll sum it up: ###### get it. Extremely underrated game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually the THQ collection they're selling looks pretty rad. Metro 2033, Stalker, Company of Heroes, Red Faction Guerilla, Saints Row 2, Darksiders, etc. - all good games, for only $50 put together... if I didn't already own several of those games I would totally shell out.

<!--quoteo(post=1857949:date=Jul 4 2011, 02:10 PM:name=Crispy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispy @ Jul 4 2011, 02:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1857949"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Terraria looks pretty good as a 2D, 4-player cross between Minecraft and Dwarf Fortress (lite).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Terraria is quite fun and easily worth the asking price, though it doesn't have as much replayability as Minecraft as the amount of interesting things you can build is more limited.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1857994:date=Jul 5 2011, 02:35 AM:name=DiscoZombie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DiscoZombie @ Jul 5 2011, 02:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1857994"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually the THQ collection they're selling looks pretty rad. Metro 2033, Stalker, Company of Heroes, Red Faction Guerilla, Saints Row 2, Darksiders, etc. - all good games, for only $50 put together... if I didn't already own several of those games I would totally shell out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well that's why Steam sales are getting irritating - usually just the same games on sale over and over, and anyone who doesn't already own like half that THQ pack already is a sad man indeed.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    well, I was hoping it would happen, and new Vegas is sub $20 today, and the DLCs are $4 a pop. I know I'm getting NV when I get home, should I pick up the DLCs as well?
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    I'd go for Saints Row 2 if I hadn't read that it's a ###### port with ###### controls.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    Going semi-retro, picked us Deus Ex 1. Have a CD copy <i>somewhere</i> but this is easier.

There's like <a href="http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/ceuyh/step_by_step_moddingguide_deus_ex_i_spilled_my/" target="_blank">half a dozen</a> mods you need to bring it up-to-date, and I hope my rose-tinted glasses effect aren't too powerful- I remember it being awesome.

Never got around to choosing an ending when I played it- had no ammo/health for the final boss.
  • ANeMANeM Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16267Members, Constellation
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1858110:date=Jul 5 2011, 07:13 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jul 5 2011, 07:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858110"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd go for Saints Row 2 if I hadn't read that it's a ###### port with ###### controls.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It really isn't <i>that</i> bad. I've played both the 360 and the PC version (albeit with a 360 controller) and they were roughly the same experience (Minus the fact that the 360 got DLC and the PC did not.)
    It is still a great game, although with a few minor porting issues. The good still shines through enough to justify the cost

Also for Americans looking to purchase <b>FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS</b>.
    Your local Best Buy store likely has it on sale for $10 (check online first!), and the PC version registers on steam. It would probably be best to just leave the house.
    I wonder whether I would like New Vegas. I didn't get very far in Fallout 3. Felt like too much aimless wandering. Same reason I've never really completed an Elder Scrolls game.