NS2 is the only program that i have ever needed a memory management program for

BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
ns2 has memory leaks like it is going out of style on my laptop and my desktop it uses in excess of 1.2gb. this is something that needs to be fixed at some point and im sure that some people that have lag issues that this is the cause. the server will also after 24 hours of running strait the program nolonger uses the memory efficiently.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Welcome to Beta, I guess?
  • Gh0tiGh0ti Join Date: 2011-07-09 Member: 109180Members
    I was going to write something about the game being in beta, but I see someone made it here before me.

Anyway, it's a beta and I'm sure the devs know about this.
  • GaidinTSGaidinTS Join Date: 2003-08-10 Member: 19319Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    You may not be aware of this, because the game looks so amazing and polished visually, but it's in beta still.
  • HackepeterHackepeter Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17107Members, Constellation
    RAM is currently not that expensive, so an easy instant solution would be to buy some more of it ;)

I'am running at 8gig memory and had never problems with ns2 in that way, but of course i just use the client.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    Leaks? in MY beta?! THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1871034:date=Aug 24 2011, 11:08 PM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ Aug 24 2011, 11:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1871034"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Leaks? in MY beta?! THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Spark has no leaks into the void of dewm :P
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1870954:date=Aug 24 2011, 11:01 AM:name=BJHBnade_spammer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BJHBnade_spammer @ Aug 24 2011, 11:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870954"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ns2 has memory leaks like it is going out of style on my laptop and my desktop it uses in excess of 1.2gb. this is something that needs to be fixed at some point and im sure that some people that have lag issues that this is the cause. the server will also after 24 hours of running strait the program nolonger uses the memory efficiently.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Any memory leaks are definitely something we'll address during the beta process. A modern game using 1.2GB doesn't sound unreasonable to me though; for example I just run L4D2 and it took 1.05GB.
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1871053:date=Aug 24 2011, 05:44 PM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Aug 24 2011, 05:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1871053"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Any memory leaks are definitely something we'll address during the beta process. A modern game using 1.2GB doesn't sound unreasonable to me though; for example I just run L4D2 and it took 1.05GB.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Also keep in mind source is an old engine by this point, new stuff is still done to it sure, but it's very optimized now. So that 1.05GB max is getting on L4D2 is a best case scenario in a fairly recent game (though it's definitely not a brand new game anymore by this point), So that 1.2 GB is nothing terrible, in fact, considering the stage we're at that sounds pretty good.

Though generally if there is a leak it really doesn't need to use up your RAM first.. it's rarely 'just' a memory leak by itself when they pop up and you'll be seeing instabilities (frame drops, crashes, ect.) before that happens.
  • Matthew94Matthew94 Join Date: 2011-08-06 Member: 114690Members
    X3 Terran Conflict used 3Gb, I didn't care.

I know you are on a laptop but RAM is dead cheap, 8GB of 1600Mhz DDR3 Desktop RAM is around £50 over here.
    <!--quoteo(post=1871112:date=Aug 25 2011, 12:25 PM:name=Kurrine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kurrine @ Aug 25 2011, 12:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1871112"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also keep in mind source is an old engine by this point, new stuff is still done to it sure, but it's very <u><b>optimized</b></u> now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Funny :P
  • slimeslime Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72352Members
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1871117:date=Aug 25 2011, 10:14 AM:name=Matthew94)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Matthew94 @ Aug 25 2011, 10:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1871117"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->X3 Terran Conflict used 3Gb, I didn't care.

I know you are on a laptop but RAM is dead cheap, 8GB of 1600Mhz DDR3 Desktop RAM is around £50 over here.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I just bought 8GB of 1333mhz DDR3 laptop RAM for $50 CAD on newegg, free shipping too.
  • LPCLPC Join Date: 2002-04-07 Member: 384Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    <!--quoteo(post=1871053:date=Aug 25 2011, 01:44 AM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Aug 25 2011, 01:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1871053"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Any memory leaks are definitely something we'll address during the beta process. A modern game using 1.2GB doesn't sound unreasonable to me though; for example I just run L4D2 and it took 1.05GB.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 Frequently Asked Questions > Game questions > What are the system requirements and when will NS2 be released?

A 1.2 GHz Processor (SSE2 required), 256MB RAM, a DirectX 9 level graphics card, Windows Vista/2000/XP, Steam, mouse, keyboard and of course, an internet connection. We are working hard to make sure NS2 runs well on average hardware without having to upgrade your machine! We are doing heavy optimization work now.

NS2 is currently in alpha/beta testing and we do not currently have a release date set yet. It all depends how smoothly beta testing goes...

Last updated on April 26, 2011 by Charlie Cleveland<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just putting it out there: if 1.2GB sounds reasonable to you Max, then why is UWE advertising NS2 with a minimum requirement of 256MB RAM??? How in the world are you guys going to optimize the game to use more then 75% less then its does now? While you guys are still only adding more and more to the game????

This sounds to me like some super-serious optimizing.... can you really pull this off?
  • slimeslime Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72352Members
    I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to optimize for 2001-era (10 year old) computers, I'm fairly sure those minimum system requirements won't be accurate when the game is released.
  • De_willyDe_willy Join Date: 2010-07-17 Member: 72499Members
    256mb ram? That like a blast from the past. I can't even start imagining running a system with only 256.
    Using 4gb ddr2 here and never had the game crash on me or having serious slow downs for that matter.
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1871120:date=Aug 25 2011, 02:55 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Aug 25 2011, 02:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1871120"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Funny :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No it's not. As far as I can see, Source uses significantly less resources than other games within it's time period (that accounts for CPU ticks, GPU ticks and RAM).

Anyway, I will agree with Max. 1.2GB is a pretty spectacular result for a game that is otherwise poorly optimized. I haven't suffered any issues with memory leaks for a very long time, I'm thinking 15x builds were the last time any memory related issues appeared for me.

<!--quoteo(post=1871136:date=Aug 25 2011, 04:32 PM:name=LPC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LPC @ Aug 25 2011, 04:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1871136"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just putting it out there: if 1.2GB sounds reasonable to you Max, then why is UWE advertising NS2 with a minimum requirement of 256MB RAM??? How in the world are you guys going to optimize the game to use more then 75% less then its does now? While you guys are still only adding more and more to the game????

This sounds to me like some super-serious optimizing.... can you really pull this off?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think anyone takes those stats into account anymore. I think the last game I played that recommended 256MB of RAM was worms forts under siege (what a ###### game), that was back in 2005.

No, now you're looking at about 2-3GB of RAM and ATI 4800 series GPU or equivalent and at least a high-end dual core or low/mid-range quad core.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1871136:date=Aug 25 2011, 05:32 PM:name=LPC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LPC @ Aug 25 2011, 05:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1871136"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just putting it out there: if 1.2GB sounds reasonable to you Max, then why is UWE advertising NS2 with a minimum requirement of 256MB RAM??? How in the world are you guys going to optimize the game to use more then 75% less then its does now? While you guys are still only adding more and more to the game????<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Nobody has been taking those sys-requirements serious for quite some time now, they really do need to update them to more realistic values.
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1871148:date=Aug 25 2011, 12:43 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Aug 25 2011, 12:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1871148"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nobody has been taking those sys-requirements serious for quite some time now, they really do need to update them to more realistic values.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1

UWE doesn't seem to have any guys that help maintain their online presence. The website has typos, duplicates list items, false information, incorrect dates, etc. etc. I sure hope they hire a front end developer to help bring their electronic presence up to date and into the future.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Well, if those kind of numbers are normal, why is this guy bothered by it?
  • SkvateSkvate Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9892Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--QuoteBegin-Zuriki+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zuriki)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->No, now you're looking at about 2-3GB of RAM and ATI 4800 series GPU or equivalent and at least a high-end dual core or low/mid-range quad core.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Awsome! Didnt know NS2 utilized multiple cores. When i check the processes list ns2.exe uses about 40-45% of the total cpu time. I have AMD Phenom II 3X(with last core unlocked, making it 4x), so this means that it uses two cores or something.
    Would be cool if they made it even more asynchronous so it would scale with the number of cores you have. Looking to upgrade to the 6X core AMD soon.
  • RichardRahlRichardRahl Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104594Members
    the only lag I get in game is server lag, i've never had any issues with stuttering graphically, cpu slowdowns ect, i've even played ns2 fine with Eve online running on my other screen.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1871207:date=Aug 25 2011, 11:22 PM:name=RichardRahl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RichardRahl @ Aug 25 2011, 11:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1871207"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the only lag I get in game is server lag, i've never had any issues with stuttering graphically, cpu slowdowns ect, i've even played ns2 fine with Eve online running on my other screen.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There is mouse-lag and probably a fair bit of gamelogic-lag too (the time between input and visualisation). Stuttering is also still there. Coming from NS1 which (like all Gldsource-games) had flawlessly smooth rendering, it kinda sticks out (even it if it has been minimized). As for being able to run other stuff during NS2, I wish I couldn't, as that would mean it made good use of the multiple cores, but as it stands it uses 1,5 to 2 cores.
  • TehLulzinatorTehLulzinator Join Date: 2011-08-26 Member: 118537Members
    So you guys are saying 256MB and 1.2GHz aren't realistic. Fine, I can live with that. I have 3 gigs of RAM. But my problem is, my processor is 2.1GHz single core, and I keep wondering how much they really can optimize the game. You're all practically saying that they've been way too optimistic, so I'm worried that I can't run NS2 even after the optimizations...
  • NixxenNixxen Join Date: 2004-02-11 Member: 26401Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1871262:date=Aug 26 2011, 09:53 AM:name=TehLulzinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TehLulzinator @ Aug 26 2011, 09:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1871262"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So you guys are saying 256MB and 1.2GHz aren't realistic. Fine, I can live with that. I have 3 gigs of RAM. But my problem is, my processor is 2.1GHz single core, and I keep wondering how much they really can optimize the game. You're all practically saying that they've been way too optimistic, so I'm worried that I can't run NS2 even after the optimizations...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You will be able to run it, but with an outdated PC it won't run very smooth - especially during the beta.
    They could in theory scale the game down to the suggested minimum specs within the options later on. It would of course not look as it looks right now.

If they figured out a way to let the GPU handle most of the computing of the spark engine they could remove a lot of stress from the CPU(could learn a thing or two from certain brute force password "recovery" softwares - but this works very different from GPU to GPU) - which could actually make it run smooth on a 1.2GHz singleCore CPU as long as the GPU is decent and nothing is hogging up the CPU in the background.
    By adding lowres textures they could decrease the memory requirement in exchange for a bit extra HDD space - but I doubt they'll reach the 256MB requirement at any rate.

The "GPU as CPU" approach is very unlikely though, since it requires specialized code for each GPU chipset.

With just "normal" optimizations(fixing bad code) I don't think the 256MB/1.2GHz mark is a realistic minimum mark.
  • RichardRahlRichardRahl Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104594Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1871262:date=Aug 26 2011, 03:53 AM:name=TehLulzinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TehLulzinator @ Aug 26 2011, 03:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1871262"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So you guys are saying 256MB and 1.2GHz aren't realistic. Fine, I can live with that. I have 3 gigs of RAM. But my problem is, my processor is 2.1GHz single core, and I keep wondering how much they really can optimize the game. You're all practically saying that they've been way too optimistic, so I'm worried that I can't run NS2 even after the optimizations...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

a 2.1ghz single core belongs in a museum, if you don't have atleast a good dual core or higher you shouldn't be playing any decently modern optimized game, let alone an unoptimized beta.
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    im bothered by it because i stated before after a certain time it stops using the ram efficiently yea you are right about 1.2 not being much for the client. but im not just talking about that. im saying that when the server version first starts its closer to about 125mb used and yes server.exe idles at about 650mb of memory when not being used but this is part of the problem as i am running it on an xp machine 3gb is the max i can use. i know it is not a good idea to run other things on the same machine but using the memory management program i can get the ram usage back down to the 100mb range.

and yes i know this is a beta and i love the game all the same.
    what i was saying is that there needs to be a little better cleaning of the ram usage as after a while restarting the server is the only thing that makes the program work more efficiently. yes i know this might not be implemented till later just a suggestion for now.

Thanks,
    Nade
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    1.2 GB that ain't much. Most of my games almoste use 2.5 to 3GB ram.

But NS2 needs more ram over time. I don't know why but it does.