Cup 6v6 for fun

Comments

• TrueVeritasTrueVeritas Join Date: 2006-10-20 Member: 58082Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1867542:date=Aug 8 2011, 03:01 PM:name=vizionz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizionz @ Aug 8 2011, 03:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867542"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Record at 60FPS and don't have FPS lock your Framerate. When editing, you will only see the 30FPS and it will look no different than recording at 30FPS. It will also allow (me) to slow down and speed up video without any quality loss :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fraps still tanks my FPS. I go from around 40-80 to 30-55. That's with fraps, recording drive, and NS2 all being on different cores/drives and fraps recording to an SSD. I just don't get it.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1867542:date=Aug 8 2011, 09:01 PM:name=vizionz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizionz @ Aug 8 2011, 09:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867542"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Record at 60FPS and don't have FPS lock your Framerate. When editing, you will only see the 30FPS and it will look no different than recording at 30FPS. It will also allow (me) to slow down and speed up video without any quality loss :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Only works if you have a beast of a PC though. I can't record with Fraps or else I get low FPS.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1867542:date=Aug 8 2011, 03:01 PM:name=vizionz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizionz @ Aug 8 2011, 03:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867542"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Record at 60FPS and don't have FPS lock your Framerate. When editing, you will only see the 30FPS and it will look no different than recording at 30FPS. It will also allow (me) to slow down and speed up video without any quality loss :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah but the friggen file size is massive, i'd have to reduce it and all that goodness, i'll have to look into it. =P But i'll eventually start doing it
  • basti1337basti1337 Join Date: 2011-05-13 Member: 98538Members
    With the latest Fraps version you get much better performance while recording in comparison to earlier versions. The file sizes are also much smaller. The Fraps-Team has made a good job in the last few months...

Recording a video with 60fps does not affect my gameplay. Even though I'm recording the files on a truecrypted harddrive. I've got an i7 930 OC'd to 3.4 Ghz and it just runs fine...
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1867557:date=Aug 8 2011, 03:27 PM:name=basti1337)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (basti1337 @ Aug 8 2011, 03:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867557"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->With the latest Fraps version you get much better performance while recording in comparison to earlier versions. The file sizes are also much smaller. The Fraps-Team has made a good job in the last few months...

Recording a video with 60fps does not affect my gameplay. Even though I'm recording the files on a truecrypted harddrive. I've got an i7 930 OC'd to 3.4 Ghz and it just runs fine...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for the heads up basti, i'll definitely check into the newer FRAPS. if it works out i'll definitely be upping a lot of POVs :)

Edit: Also NS2HD just released game 2 of Anagram vs HBZ: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIBlD4a5iuA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIBlD4a5iuA</a>
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1867544:date=Aug 8 2011, 04:05 PM:name=TrueVeritas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrueVeritas @ Aug 8 2011, 04:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867544"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fraps still tanks my FPS. I go from around 40-80 to 30-55. That's with fraps, recording drive, and NS2 all being on different cores/drives and fraps recording to an SSD. I just don't get it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'll chat with you tonight. I managed to get everything to work and I was in the same boat as you. Im sure we can figure it out for you as well ;)
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1867548:date=Aug 8 2011, 04:07 PM:name=Frhoe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frhoe @ Aug 8 2011, 04:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867548"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yeah but the friggen file size is massive, i'd have to reduce it and all that goodness, i'll have to look into it. =P But i'll eventually start doing it<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We will figure it out soon, we need to start getting POVs sooner than later.
    edited August 2011
    Anagram played against Cyd earlier today I decided to fraps a few rounds.

Sadly though I made it so that fraps wouldn't record the volume whoopse.... Either way here's my marine side, i'll upload the alien side tomorrow and the other games we playedd.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUxZAIPvHHA" target="_blank">Anagram (m) vs Cyd (a) </a> - syknik POV
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-RtPaMSWzs" target="_blank">Anagram (a) vs Cyd (m) </a> - syknik POV
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    I guess you could count me looking for a team, US west coast for me, with over 215 hours of NS2 play so far.
    Just added a video of the gorge rush we did.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8xS75CcEcw" target="_blank">Anagram Gorge Rush vs Cyd - Syknik POV</a>
  • De_willyDe_willy Join Date: 2010-07-17 Member: 72499Members
    I'm interested in this kind of stuff.
    Are there any clans out there that are still recruiting?
    I live in belgium so it would be nice to play with like minded people that are not too far away.
  • PhYzorPhYzor Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 22005Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1868801:date=Aug 13 2011, 01:42 PM:name=De_willy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (De_willy @ Aug 13 2011, 01:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868801"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm interested in this kind of stuff.
    Are there any clans out there that are still recruiting?
    I live in belgium so it would be nice to play with like minded people that are not too far away.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

tu parles francais ?
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    edited August 2011
  • SteelBladeSteelBlade Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33240Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Thinking of starting a UK/EU clan. IF anyone is interested send me a PM!
  • De_willyDe_willy Join Date: 2010-07-17 Member: 72499Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1868811:date=Aug 13 2011, 09:35 PM:name=PhYzor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PhYzor @ Aug 13 2011, 09:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868811"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->tu parles francais ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nope, not really well anyways.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Thankyou Cyd and Team #156 for allowing me to record your games on the weekend. It was good fun! I intended to get the games up on YouTube much faster, but my uploads failed many times in a row. Games 1 and 2 are up there now!
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Thanks Hugh, great as usual!

Both games very entertaining.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That Cloak rush was just nice to see :-)
    <!--quoteo(post=1869071:date=Aug 15 2011, 09:43 AM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Aug 15 2011, 09:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869071"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That Cloak rush was just nice to see :-)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It was nice to see and hopefully good for UWE to figure out that a fix is needed!
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    is the 3rd game up yet? and the cloak rush was hilarious to watch. still would like to be in a clan match.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited August 2011
    Here are the links
    Aug 13th, 2011; Cyd v 156; Game 1: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii4SsNm-6gs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii4SsNm-6gs</a>
    Aug 13th, 2011; Cyd v 156; Game 2: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfFw4QeiXqc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfFw4QeiXqc</a>
    Aug 13th, 2011; Cyd v 156; Game 3: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWUga-3W-QQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWUga-3W-QQ</a>
  • PhYzorPhYzor Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 22005Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    the cloak rush is really lame
  • basti1337basti1337 Join Date: 2011-05-13 Member: 98538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1869014:date=Aug 15 2011, 10:06 AM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Aug 15 2011, 10:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869014"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thankyou Cyd and Team #156 for allowing me to record your games on the weekend. It was good fun! I intended to get the games up on YouTube much faster, but my uploads failed many times in a row. Games 1 and 2 are up there now!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For all people who upload their videos on Youtube and get errors right after finishing the upload:
    Try to use the MKV movie container format instead of the MP4 or different format. The reason for uploads which fail to upload once you finished them is, that most movie container formats are not prepared for streaming, so youtube cannot perform a test on the video while its being uploaded. With MP4 you have to make sure that it is optimized for steaming first, but most tools don't do that by default or are not able to do this at all. So use a MKV container (or google's WEBM, which is based on MKV) and you will get a message from youtube in a few seconds when you start to upload a bad video.

I don't know if your problem is related to what I just wrote, NS2HD, but when I'm surfing on youtube and see that you just uploaded a video, I can see the default title of your upload with a .mp4 ending. A few weeks ago, I uploaded a mp4 video out of my tiny 15min limitation (damn YT) and YT just notified me that I'm not allowed to use it just after the upload and encoding process which took almost 2 hours :(
    <!--quoteo(post=1869151:date=Aug 15 2011, 02:12 PM:name=PhYzor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PhYzor @ Aug 15 2011, 02:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869151"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the cloak rush is really lame<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I concur, as do many others.
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1869155:date=Aug 15 2011, 03:29 PM:name=Frhoe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frhoe @ Aug 15 2011, 03:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869155"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I concur, as do many others.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->While in many ways this is true, but isn't this the point of a Beta? To find problems like this and see they get fixed? Surely the current Shade cloak behavior is not what UWE intended.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1869151:date=Aug 15 2011, 12:12 PM:name=PhYzor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PhYzor @ Aug 15 2011, 12:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869151"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the cloak rush is really lame<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Still, its pretty ingenious.
    <!--quoteo(post=1869162:date=Aug 15 2011, 03:06 PM:name=McGlaspie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (McGlaspie @ Aug 15 2011, 03:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869162"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While in many ways this is true, but isn't this the point of a Beta? To find problems like this and see they get fixed? Surely the current Shade cloak behavior is not what UWE intended.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yep
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1869167:date=Aug 15 2011, 03:35 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Aug 15 2011, 03:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869167"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Still, its pretty ingenious.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Use an exploit, and i think it is, it's not ingenious (thanks to Cyd to show it, now dev can fix it)
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Game 3 is now up after about 10 upload fails -.-. Link is in twitter feed (in sig).

The Shade cloak rush is definitly generating controversy... At the time I didn't think it was an exploit. I know, I know, I'm wrong, but at the time I thought it was intended that the Shade would grant movement cloak to anything in its radius. At the time, I thought that given the exceptional discipline displayed by the Cyd players, it was a worthy and valid tactic. That is not something you can easily pull of in a random pub server, given the high level of coordination needed.

Regardless, can't wait for more games to cast! I believe there's NS2AU vs Team #156 coming up on the weekend?
  • SmaugSmaug Join Date: 2011-05-23 Member: 100283Members
    Decided to make a one-time post on the matter of the shade rush.

I feel as though this topic is becoming a point of contention for the sake of becoming one, and I want to attempt to dispel this now before people take it upon themselves to turn this into a hate war, and these people are, funnily enough, no one from Cyd and no one from #156.

A lot of the argument devolves into two sub-arguments, one being that we abused a bug, the other that we didn't use the shade how it was intended in Natural Selection 1.

So allow me to give a counter to both of these issues. First, the issue that we abused a bug.

"Added Shade structure and Cloak ability. Triggering cloak on Shade will cloak nearby players and structures. They are invisible to sentries and enemy players until they take damage or they attack (Players, Whips, Hydras), up to 15 seconds. Friendly players and structures show a stand-in particle effect when they're cloaked, as well as updated reticle text (we don't have transparency in the engine yet)."

As you can see in the description of the Shade's triggered cloak ability, it cloaks all nearby players - there is no mention that once out of range of the shade, it should disable the cloak. On top of which, it does not mention that running will disable the cloak ability, only that they will uncloak when they recieve damage or start attacking, and that the players that recieved the cloak will uncloak after 15 seconds. Therefore, we used the shade as was intended for use in this build.

For the second argument, a few people have wondered (out loud and aggressively) how I or my teammates could possibly think that the way we used the Shade was the way UWE intended it to work when this is not how it works for Natural Selection 1.

Well, I am afraid to break it to you all, but no one in Cydweithrediad has ever played Natural Selection 1. We have no reference to the original game of how everything worked, and I honestly have no intention of spending hours going through the original game just to appease the few that are upset about us breaking convention.

When we decided before the match that we were going to give it a go, we honestly didn't think it would work, as we didn't think we would make Marine Start in time. A few people say that we shouldn't have done this for two reasons, one that it will destroy pubs (which is a joke), and the other that it doesn't make for an exciting watch. Ignoring the majority that said they were impressed with what we did, we didn't know this was going to work. Another thing that is worth pointing out is that #156 had never seen this strategy in play before, therefore didn't know the correct responses - I believe Wasabi mentioned that he heard skulk movement but didn't react. Knowing that this is now possible, I'm sure they would, for every time that strategy was used, develop correct responses, for instance, upon hearing alot of close skulks, make educated guesses with pistol/LMG shots, as well as returning everyone to base knowing an all-in was coming, among other things that they could develop.

And to prove further that people's reactions were stronger than they should have been, we already know that being cloaked in future builds will not be 100% invisible, UWE have already stated this as fact, therefore a strategy like this might not nearly be so strong if they decide to keep how the Shade Cloak ability works (and please, do not read this as me supporting the strategy).

For those that are wondering, no, neither my clanmates nor myself believe this strategy should be kept in, or at the very least not make it as effective as this.

<u><b>The first thing I did when this video was put up was send the video to a member of UWE, as not to make a big deal out of this.</b></u> Those that have expressed their anger and disgust openly have done more damage to "public play" by hyping the video up with so many contravertial comments and rage infused posts. Those that have calmly accepted this video as a demonstration of something that shouldn't be left in the game are helping the cause.

To those that have said we gave a boring game 1, I apologise. We didn't believe it would work, in which we were wrong. I hope you continue to watch Cydweithrediad's matches, support NS2 competative and NS2HD's videos, and I hope I haven't been the cause of NS2HD losing viewers over this game. Cydweithrediad will always look into new and interesting strategies, so people may watch entertaining games and for UWE to judge what forms of strategies they deem too broken to improve this game. Having said that, it's impossible to please everyone, and I have recieved alot of praise for trying something different, in person, via PM's and on NS2HD's Youtube Channel.

To those that have been so angry at the video, I believe your responses were very primitive and short-sighted. This is a Beta, and we've bought the game to help improve it. I do not regret having NS2HD cast it regardless of those that might've been turned off by our play in Game 1, even though at the time we didn't believe it would work and would end up being a longer game. Cyd and #156 enjoyed the Series we played, and I do believe both teams have now helped to improve this game by revealing this strategy immediately, before NS2 gets to Version 1. I repeat, the first thing I did when the video went up was to send the video to a member of UWE expressing my concerns by outlining what we did and why I believe this shouldn't stay.

To those that have been supportive of us trying something new, thank you.

And please, there's barely a competative scene as it is, there is no need for any of the teams to fall out over this. At the end of the day, the falling out should have been between Cyd and #156, and neither team has been upset with the other, rather, a lot of admiration is given for each others' strategies.

<b>This is the last time I am going to publicly talk about this, as really there's nothing to be angry about.</b> Calling unfair because you are a fan of #156 is fine, we support you if that's the case, calling unfair/bug/abuser is not fine if you're just "butthurt" for the sake of being "butthurt".

This was a lot of words for someone whose first language isn't English. ######.

Shout-out to our boi Keith Wade, get better and stop breaking limbs you ######.