Excitement for the Shade

2»

Comments

• RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
    I hope that for each shade you can choose another structure to completely hide. For example, you could sacrifice one shade to hide a hive going up, or maybe hide a whip and actually kill rines with it.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1867308:date=Aug 7 2011, 07:27 PM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Aug 7 2011, 07:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867308"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It appears Cloak will continue to apply cloaking for a few seconds after the Commander activates it. Also, according to the design log, Charlie's having second thoughts on making cloak infinite.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've tried it in game, and it's wicked! But it appears that the commander doesn't receive the buff if he/she activate AOE cloak, then hop out of the hive afterwards.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    i like it but the blur is way to much.
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1867744:date=Aug 9 2011, 06:01 AM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Aug 9 2011, 06:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867744"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i like it but the blur is way to much.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    First time I saw it I tought I was using blink as a gorge :p
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    blur ? it's the fact, that the khaa players getting high on mushrooms .. ehmm .. shades :D
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1867771:date=Aug 9 2011, 10:56 PM:name=ZycaR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZycaR @ Aug 9 2011, 10:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867771"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->blur ? it's the fact, that the khaa players getting high on mushrooms .. ehmm .. shades :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's the first thing I thought when I attacked a shade hive. "Woah... bad shrooms!"

Then I actually saw the world model for the shade and lolled.

--Scythe--
  • SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    edited August 2011
    I think it is awesome. Haven't tried the Shade as an alien yet, that is the next order of business.

EDIT:: Thats fun too! Seems to be a bug, tho. If the Shade is the first upgrade building, many of the other abilities can researched by Acomm but not used by players.
  • IactoIacto Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75209Members
    I love the disorientation, really makes it more challenging for a marine team to take down an alien strongpoint. Also I'm loving how the new game balance feels, much better IMO
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1867178:date=Aug 7 2011, 10:16 AM:name=RisingSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RisingSun @ Aug 7 2011, 10:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867178"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dont know what it did in the old builds but it shouldnt beacon people to the obs. Only beacon people to Marine Start (or maybe the tech point the beacon is at).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NS2 is not NS1. Beacon has now been changed so that you CAN Beacon to MS in you want (have an obs there) OR use them offensively for sneak attacks. IMHO this is one of the best gameplay changes UWE have made.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1867771:date=Aug 9 2011, 08:56 AM:name=ZycaR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZycaR @ Aug 9 2011, 08:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867771"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->blur ? it's the fact, that the khaa players <!--coloro:#FFFF00--><span style="color:#FFFF00"><!--/coloro-->getting high<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> on mushrooms .. ehmm .. shades :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    *Tripping :)

Chris brings up a good point about the Shade's implementation. Players can never reliably know what another player does or doesn't see, so I don't see Disorient instilling too much confidence in it's dependents.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    The shade model and it's stunning undulating animation really surpassed my expectations! That's some of the best work in NS2 for me.
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    edited August 2011
    I love the changes the shade brings to the sounds of the marines.
    The visual effect is cool, but IMO it would be way cooler to have an extreme version of motion blur.
    This will give you a pretty good overview of your surroundings when your "keeping it cool" (calmy looking around, defending), but will really ###### your vision up when your dancing up and down. (offence)

edit: more ideas:

I would also love to see some scrambling in the textchat. When the player receives textchats when near a shade, it is possible that name of the person saying it is substituted by another marine's name.

Don't know how annoying it would be.

Or another cool idea: When the shade is being axed, the marine will get a textchat from his commander saying: "FALL BACK TO BASE, BASE UNDER ATTACK!" or something. :p

Another idea: medpack gives a 10 seconds immunity to shade's disorient
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This will give you a pretty good overview of your surroundings when your "keeping it cool" (calmy looking around, defending), but will really ###### your vision up when your dancing up and down. (offence)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that would be cool, but a lot of people would complain :(

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Another idea: medpack gives a 10 seconds immunity to shade's disorient<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

make it be the cat-pack!
  • Taxen0Taxen0 Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73357Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1868029:date=Aug 10 2011, 08:11 AM:name=subshadow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (subshadow @ Aug 10 2011, 08:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868029"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I love the changes the shade brings to the sounds of the marines.
    The visual effect is cool, but IMO it would be way cooler to have an extreme version of motion blur.
    This will give you a pretty good overview of your surroundings when your "keeping it cool" (calmy looking around, defending), but will really ###### your vision up when your dancing up and down. (offence)

I would also love to see some scrambling in the textchat. When the player receives textchats when near a shade, it is possible that name of the person saying it is substituted by another marine's name.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I like the first idea, but it does not have to be too extreme.
    I saw the 2nd one on the design docs, and why not. but it wont matter so much as ppl will often use team speak.
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <b>Anyone else this the Shade "jelly like" head should float in the air? </b>(same distance from the ground as it is current though)
    I think it would look much cooler if it didn't have the base connecting it to the ground and it was just a floating object. If it is connected, I think a thin ribbon of translucent "spine" connecting it (similar to the hair tails in Avatar) to the ground, with pulsating orbs traveling from the infestation to the jelly fish head. The jelly fish head should be translucent as well to create the "cloaking" look and feel.

What do you all think about that?
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    I wouldn't mind, but it's pretty great as it is and I wouldn't want them to work on it when other models aren't nearly as amazing as the shade's model. Fade model needs reworking IMO...it looks like it's on a Zimmerframe.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    I am totally digging the motion blur + sound muffle.
    It makes the taking down of a hive much more intense.

I also like that the actual cloaking upgrade for aliens has a HUGE countdown to engaging.

It upped the tension in using it as an alien.
    C'mon C'mon cloak cloak.

and at the same time it did give me as a marine
    enough time to spot someone before they cloaked.
    I even dropped a Grenade on one...and I bet he was saying "crap did he see me"

I do think they should make the cloak vision more subtle.
    I like the idea. It just doesn't overlay over alien vision well.
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1868194:date=Aug 10 2011, 03:06 PM:name=kingmob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kingmob @ Aug 10 2011, 03:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868194"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am totally digging the motion blur + sound muffle.
    It makes the taking down of a hive much more intense.

I also like that the actual cloaking upgrade for aliens has a HUGE countdown to engaging.

It upped the tension in using it as an alien.
    C'mon C'mon cloak cloak.

and at the same time it did give me as a marine
    enough time to spot someone before they cloaked.
    I even dropped a Grenade on one...and I bet he was saying "crap did he see me"

I do think they should make the cloak vision more subtle.
    I like the idea. It just doesn't overlay over alien vision well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Unfortunately, this is going to open the door to people saying "HOW DID YOU SEE ME?!?! WTF H4X!". I've already had 3-5 people suggest I was cheating, all of which I have recorded demo's of my random firing into the thin air lol.
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    Loving the new tactical/strategic uses for the shade and it's cloak upgrade, the cloak vision effect is a bit much. Though, personally I actually find it with alien vision easier to handle, the screen just gets too busy between the game details and the particle effect.