Gorge spit(/bile bomb arc) Hydras/Cysts?

SmasherSmasher Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43732Members
Having the Gorge able to "throw" Hydras and Cysts would make you able to be much more creative with the Gorge building, it would be a really nice addition in my opinion!

Comments

• lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    I actually like this idea, more so on spitting cysts at any location in the room. This would help the spread of infestation from any location, and cysts will not be exposed on the floor for easy shooting. Its an amazing tactic if it would be allowed to do so.
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    A few hours ago i was about to start the this same thread because i had the same idea... (but then i thought nobody would agree anyway)

I actually would love to see the gorge spit hydras and cysts. Right now the ability to build on walls and ceilings is barely used but spitting some structures would make the gameplay a lot more interesting imo.
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    Another YES vote for this from me :) Having a row of hydras growing above a doorway would definitely change the marine approach to that room, and stringing a "hidden" line of cysts along a ceiling, over a vent, or some other interesting place that isn't normally reachable would be awesome.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Yeah, I imagine it would be like the Cyst/Hydra ghost model have more distance and the Gorge would spit a quick projectile version of it when you confirm placement.

Or you can skip the spitting and will them to life from infestation O_o..
  • shivshiv Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71341Members, Constellation
    +1. Like this idea a lot.
  • kyliegirlkyliegirl Gorge Master Australia Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10586Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • AsmervAsmerv Join Date: 2010-12-27 Member: 75986Members
    I agree. Seems like it'll add a lot to the 3 dimensionality of alien gameplay.

Also, maybe it'll help address the "uselessness" of the rifle. Trying to shotgun down a hydra on a high wall would be fruitless, whereas rifle with its superior accuracy can make short work of it.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1861999:date=Jul 20 2011, 09:55 PM:name=Asmerv)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asmerv @ Jul 20 2011, 09:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1861999"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree. Seems like it'll add a lot to the 3 dimensionality of alien gameplay.

Also, maybe it'll help address the "uselessness" of the rifle. Trying to shotgun down a hydra on a high wall would be fruitless, whereas rifle with its superior accuracy can make short work of it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

wonderful points, thanks for pointing it out.

I hope this indeed gets added.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    this has been suggested a number of times in the past (twice by yours truly), dont hold your breath
  • rushmonkeyrushmonkey Join Date: 2009-04-17 Member: 67215Members
    edited July 2011
    But im sure the devs have always said they wanted buildings on ceilings/walls to be used, unless they're planing on letting gorges wall walk, i cant really see a better option than spitting out buildings ( scaling walls with cysts doesn't count :p) and i really hope the extra foot from jumping isnt the highest theyre gonna let us make stuff lol
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I spend too much time and res messing about as Gorge to get these structures in the right spots. Gets my vote.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    It does have an issue though. With how it currently work, you can see on the ghost for the cyst if it would be connected, while if it gets replaced with a spit, you would not be able to know that.
  • SmasherSmasher Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43732Members
    Well, they're removing the LOS requirement
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>Cyst changes</b>
    - We removed the LOS requirement for cyst placement and increased their range so you will need less of them to expand.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And you already see the area in wich the cyst will be able to connect to the previous one, I don't think it would be that hard to find the border of it and then build it a few meters up on the wall (instead of on the ground) ;)
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2011
    But if this would be inplemented , about gorge doing the cyst. then the alien commander will lose weight.

I mean look at marine commander, his the one who drop down the buildings. It must be the same with the alien commander.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1862088:date=Jul 20 2011, 07:54 PM:name=oldassgamers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oldassgamers @ Jul 20 2011, 07:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1862088"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But if this would be inplemented , about gorge doing the cyst. then the alien commander will lose weight.

I mean look at marine commander, his the one who drop down the buildings. It must be the same with the alien commander.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

One race =/= another

Plus the Alien Commander has the advantage of Cyst range, aka place new Cysts on the other side of a wall while inside Cyst/Mini Cyst range.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    this idea really isnt new, but its the right time to discuss it again.

+1 for spitting cysts / hydras

btw, you could simply replace the old build method, just display
    the ghost model of what you "spit" at the location you are aiming at, you will see then aswell if a cyst
    is connected or not
  • HakujinHakujin Join Date: 2003-05-09 Member: 16157Members, Constellation
  • Taxen0Taxen0 Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73357Members
    I rather see a much increased range in placement of cyst / hydras. then you can see how it will show up before placing.
    if it's far away you can add a spit animation as well, or make it grow from infestation as suggested above.
    I'd like to think that the "spitting" will basically be done as a vastly increased build range. Maybe add a spitwad travelling from A to B in the process, but i'd still like my ghost hydra to show up where it's going to grow.
  • gorge.ousgorge.ous Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76481Members
    +1

especially because often Hydras seem to be "useless" as they very rarely kill something as they cannot surprise marines because the marine can easily spot them and dont have the puch sentries have.
    Morphing to skulk, climbing on walls and evolving back to gorge is the only way to do some tricky hydra placement but is in most cases too expensive to do.

So maybe spitting hydras/cysts could be an upgrade for gorges?
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    This does come up a lot and I do like the idea of being able to stick things on the ceiling, it isn't a needed feature but it would be a lot of fun I think and shouldn't be that hard to implement.
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    Yeah this is a solid idea...

Please please please pretty please flaya put this in i'll love you long time <3
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    I donno about this. How are the marines supposed to shoot hydras with nades if they are all over the roof. I already see hydras up the sides of pillars and weird places, making them hard to hit the the nade launcher. Allowing gorges to fire them anywhere would just be more of a pain in the ass.
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1862138:date=Jul 21 2011, 04:43 AM:name=gorge.ous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gorge.ous @ Jul 21 2011, 04:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1862138"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Morphing to skulk, climbing on walls and evolving back to gorge is the only way to do some tricky hydra placement but is in most cases too expensive to do.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wasen't there an upgrade planned wich let aliens evolve freely between lifeforms already payed for?
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2011
    Actually wanted to start the same topic myself yesterday :P
    +1! More creative gorge play, more creative stategies

Edit:
    <!--quoteo(post=1862033:date=Jul 20 2011, 10:59 PM:name=Feha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Feha @ Jul 20 2011, 10:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1862033"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It does have an issue though. With how it currently work, you can see on the ghost for the cyst if it would be connected, while if it gets replaced with a spit, you would not be able to know that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Whats keeping the devs from keeping the ghost models? Nothing :)
  • aimlessanomalyaimlessanomaly Join Date: 2011-07-04 Member: 107776Members
    wouldn't spitting a hydra on the ceiling make it really hard or impossible to heal spray it in positional situations? seems like it could have it's uses still, but as someone who likes playing gorge, i'd rather be able to easily heal/hide behind my hydras.
  • SmasherSmasher Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43732Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1862224:date=Jul 21 2011, 02:16 PM:name=aimlessanomaly)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aimlessanomaly @ Jul 21 2011, 02:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1862224"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->wouldn't spitting a hydra on the ceiling make it really hard or impossible to heal spray it in positional situations? seems like it could have it's uses still, but as someone who likes playing gorge, i'd rather be able to easily heal/hide behind my hydras.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Having the option is never a bad idea though, is it?
    Advantage: Harder to GL, harder to axe, maybe out of FT range and reduced ability to shotgun the hydra.
    Disadvantage: Crags have a harder time healing it, as does the gorge.

If hydras slowly regen health on infestation, you'll see "sneaky hydras" and "farming hydras" in mixed batches. Or you'll see people popping hydras up on wacky surfaces where a sneaky commander has also grown a crag or somesuch on a high ledge nearby that's usually inaccessible. Either way, having the option for variety is good.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think the coolness would increase if when attacking a base, a Gorge fired a cyst onto the back of the wall and then a Hydra in quick succession for a temporary increase in fire power during an attack.
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    The few places on Summit I can manage ceiling hydras has regularly shown them to be superior to floor ones in many situations, I'd like the placements to be a bit more ranged too, since I've only got vent and the hall going towards marine start where I can do it effectively.

Not to mention, healspray actually has a pretty nice range, a hop and timed spray will reach -most- ceilings anyways.