Your feedback on our tweets here

Comments

• Deagle2Deagle2 Join Date: 2010-11-30 Member: 75360Members
    I wasn't even stating that only for you mate, I'm just pointing a common mistake game developper usually do while making their game.
  • ZachZach Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73278Members
    Not sure if you're trying to distract us from the fact that you're not releasing any patch this week, or just being silly with your tweets about someones score.
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am really eager to translate the game into german! (I always wantet to do a translation job)
    But I think I am not the only one.

In my opinion, the best way would be that someone takes the lead of the translation project (one person per language) and has to confer with the rest of the people who want to help with the translation, check suggestions and have a vote for the most fitting word.
    Also organize a voice over casting (with submissions by the community and a vote afterwards) for the marine talks and commandstation or hive voices

...and so on.

----
    btw. translating the ARC into ARK, the MAC into MAK (Mobile Automatische Konstruktionseinheit) or the Extractor into Extraktor is a good idea and should be no problem at all. But the "fun" beginns with the Harvester ( Ernter) (imo there is no problem in translating it to Ernter because everybody will call it "RT" (Resourcen Turm)) anyway) and the Hive ( Schwarm ) (which I think is better to let the orginal name)
    ...but we can discuss that in a different topic ;-)
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited July 2011
    You should make a new topic for the German translation Shilorius

Or better, do it in the modding section? It could get really cluttered in this section to have a new topic for each translation version.
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1858790:date=Jul 8 2011, 08:37 AM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Jul 8 2011, 08:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858790"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You should make a new topic for the German translation Shilorius<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I will do that - when the list of all the words is out.
    ..and I am looking forward to it ;-)
  • TravCarpTravCarp Join Date: 2010-06-04 Member: 71962Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Cysts :3

I assume the tendril mechanic didn't make it in (seeing the Skulk Golf videos), I wonder how that would work for complex geometry...
  • WarmongerWarmonger Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13126Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@wolfire: 71k views on your weekly video (http://youtu.be/Uc8y0U43Ng0)? Wow. We have a bit to learn about open-kimono development...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I was watching some of Wolfire's other dev videos on Overgrowth and I'm really impressed with their ragdoll effects. Hopefully NS2 will get the same treatment eventually.
  • perfectheatperfectheat Join Date: 2007-06-28 Member: 61405Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1858828:date=Jul 8 2011, 11:07 PM:name=Warmonger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Warmonger @ Jul 8 2011, 11:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858828"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was watching some of Wolfire's other dev videos on Overgrowth and I'm really impressed with their ragdoll effects. Hopefully NS2 will get the same treatment eventually.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Totally agree. The limbs feel like they have bones and the weight seems correct. In NS2 it's almost like they loose their bones when they go ragdoll. Not a big issue on this stage in the beta though. Wouldn't mind bit more gore/blood splatter on surfaces too in the end, especially when the ragdolls slides across the floor.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Overgrowth's youtube vids get so many views because it's very unique and eye catching seeing fighting rabbits, and 2nd, the animations and physics and effects are really well done. I watch those videos even with no intention of ever buying the game (it's single player, and quite shallow *IMO*).

NS2 is lacking polish in those 3 areas which makes it hard to present well to people who don't know how fun and interesting the gameplay is. A launch trailer showing the importance of team work, really dynamic environments, completed infestation, and set piece moments (onos breaking doors) would really get a lot of attention.
  • Stele007Stele007 Join Date: 2004-07-23 Member: 30063Members
    Build uploading yyyeeeeeessss!
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1858836:date=Jul 8 2011, 05:37 PM:name=Stele007)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stele007 @ Jul 8 2011, 05:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858836"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Build uploading yyyeeeeeessss!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yup woo
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Mandatory pre-patch chatroom gathering (signature)!
  • Lemming JesusLemming Jesus Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71385Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1858783:date=Jul 8 2011, 09:05 AM:name=Zach)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zach @ Jul 8 2011, 09:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858783"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not sure if you're trying to distract us from the fact that you're not releasing any patch this week, or just being silly with your tweets about someones score.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Friday counts as this week, right?
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    i can't map during update. editor update?
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1858841:date=Jul 8 2011, 05:57 PM:name=Lemming Jesus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lemming Jesus @ Jul 8 2011, 05:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858841"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Friday counts as this week, right?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not sure if you're trying to distract us from the fact that they're releasing 180 this week, or just being silly with your posts about how friday is this week.

>:(
  • JayArcJayArc Join Date: 2011-06-03 Member: 102391Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Btw, to those saying that aliens lose every game, here are the game stats from the last 100 games<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For me the frustration when playing alien, is that it takes 2 hours to break down a marine base. Maybe its because fade is no longer effective against structures (build 180), marines then spam as many turrets as possible. Marines on the other hand (when winning) have ARCS and Phase gates.

Btw..this is in a match with 8 vs 8 on a public server.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    I agree JayArc. I feel the aliens need some way to deal with sentries better, or at least they should be limited to 10 per game for now to stop massive spamming.
  • RTVRTV Join Date: 2008-06-09 Member: 64417Members
    <!--quoteo(post=0:date=hour:name=Twitter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twitter @ hour)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Btw, to those saying that aliens lose every game, here are the game stats from the last 100 games: <a href="http://bit.ly/qpOx84" target="_blank">http://bit.ly/qpOx84</a> #fb<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sure, these are the Stats of ALL games, the aliens of course will be better after a long time, because they expand, but please UWE keep your eyes at the first time...not at the end.
    <a href="http://unknownworldsstats.appspot.com/displayendgamestats?map=ns2_summit&version=180&length=2000" target="_blank">http://unknownworldsstats.appspot.com/disp...amp;length=2000</a>
    WTF
    Marine Wins: 116 (57.71%)
    Alien Wins: 85 (42.29%)
    WHAT A SURPRISE
    So whats up with the statistics?
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1859798:date=Jul 11 2011, 05:14 PM:name=RTV)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RTV @ Jul 11 2011, 05:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1859798"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sure, these are the Stats of ALL games, the aliens of course will be better after a long time, because they expand, but please UWE keep your eyes at the first time...not at the end.
    <a href="http://unknownworldsstats.appspot.com/displayendgamestats?map=ns2_summit&version=180&length=2000" target="_blank">http://unknownworldsstats.appspot.com/disp...amp;length=2000</a>
    WTF
    Marine Wins: 116 (57.71%)
    Alien Wins: 85 (42.29%)
    WHAT A SURPRISE
    So whats up with the statistics?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You have the link wrong.

This is the correct link:
    <a href="http://unknownworldsstats.appspot.com/displayendgamestats?map=ns2_summit&version=180" target="_blank">http://unknownworldsstats.appspot.com/disp...amp;version=180</a>
    Marine Wins: 342 (42.75%)
    Alien Wins: 458 (57.25%)

Enjoy.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    I don't really think the problem is the side balance, side balance is important but in achieving the current side balance, it kind of wrecked the balance of game features against each other.

You win or lose based on cysts at the start, you win or lose based on fades in the middle, and you win or lose based on who gets bored first at the end.
  • RTVRTV Join Date: 2008-06-09 Member: 64417Members
    Nope the "lenght" command in the data.
    The Aliens win over time, but there a lot reasons, the weakness isn't one of that factor why they win sometimes...the marines just not play in coop most time...
    Play the game and you will see by yourself...
    I play the game a lot last days and i could see that on both teams, it seems the aliens play more together, while the marines walk more alone.
    But if marines play together and use the weapons right, aliens have no chance against flamethrower, grenade launcher, shotgun, arc, sentrys, portal and stuff...
    3 Marines with shotgun and 1 flamethrower are like unstoppable...
    edited July 2011
    The game is very unstable, you spend all your time trying to account for the crappiness of your abilities and frankly the only way to win or lose that I've found is luck. If both teams play well, the only thing determining the victor is luck, because whoever gets to the enemy weak points first will probably win, or they'll annihilate each other or something. If both teams are playing well then I would expect to see very little map control and very little steady progression, bases would go up and down a lot, but there'd be little in the way of lines or anything, because the game is unstable.

Basically the aliens now have the same problems marines do, in earlier games, marines needed to be very good to fight back against fades/prevent aliens from getting them, and they needed to run from place to place a lot to keep defending them from alien skrimishers if the aliens chose to do that, the reason they were playable was that aliens didn't always play very well, so a good marine team could beat a meh alien team. Aliens had a similar thing in places where if they got unlucky with their first hive and the marines pushed it properly, they could lose the game.

Now the cysts and slowdown effects and fade modifications mean that aliens don't have many good things any more, they have weak infestation which makes it hard to control the map, the fade isn't as overpowered any more so they don't have that ace in the hole, and getting/holding a second hive is a lot harder without infestation. Not to mention the ability of marines to box aliens in early on with ease if they try.

Essentially, you need to move the game away from 'all my stuff sucks so I need players to patch holes in the strategy' and more towards 'I can run the strategy sort of on my own and the players can actually do some fighting on their own, it isn't a very fun FPS game at the moment because players have to constantly do what the commander says, leaving no room for creativity, and it isn't a fun RTS game because the commanders can't do anything without the players picking up their slack.

Aliens were fun in earlier versions because they were OP, which effectively meant that they were the only side with half decent RTS and FPS mechanics, a fade was a strong unit, there wasn't really a situation it couldn't deal with in some way, either by running or killing things, it's still a strong unit now but it makes the player vulnerable, it takes the control out of their hands with limited energy and slowdown on hit, so it edges more towards the 'I don't have the tools I need' kinda thing, which isn't neccesarily a bad thing as it is still strong, but you can see that people don't like the change, I think because they like being in control. It's a neccesary change, but it isn't going to be popular. Same with the lerk, before it could kinda sit back and run away if threatened, not neccesarily a strong unit but one you're always in control of, and it was fun because of that. with the slow spikes, slowdown on hit and range nerf on gas, it kinda forces the lerk to gamble a bit which is not as much fun as being able to choose when to run away or where to attack from. I think the lerk would be better if you put the spike speed back up because then they can sit at range, but recieve benefits for going closer, allowing you to stay in control and giving you a more fluid transition, at the moment it's kind of a 'commit everything or do nothing' situation with the lerk because it's hard to hit anything at range with the spikes.

Same with cysts for the commander, before alien commander was strong, infestation was reliable and you could build strong bases with it, vulnerable to strong attacks yes, but effective most of the time, now you kind of just have to deal with everything dying if the marines breathe on it. The alien comm's strength was that it was essentially a one man operation, you can command on your own and the player involvement was natural, you tell them what they need to know and they go do it, but you can do plenty of stuff without them. It makes it fun as an RTS because in an RTS you need to be in control, and it makes it fun as a player because you don't need to do as much running around performing tasks for the comm, you can pursue your own playstyle at your own pace. Both sides need to be stronger, they need to be able to have a way of dealing with situations that doesn't involve scrambling madly to fix the issue as a commander, or throwing yourself at it and hoping you don't die as a player.

With all of that, it doesn't really matter whether the game is balanced, it isn't very much fun. Or at least for me it's not, it'd be fine as a deathmatch game I guess, but the fast paced combat AND strategy part isn't really happening, it's more like fast paced combat for a short time, then the winner hits the enemy in the strategic deficiency and then the losing side kinda just flails around a bit and falls over.
  • yodayoda Join Date: 2003-11-27 Member: 23619Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2011
    Hey,

Probably been discussed already but the stats in the js of that graph seem abit strange.
    <a href="http://unknownworldsstats.appspot.com/displayendgamestats?version=180" target="_blank">http://unknownworldsstats.appspot.com/disp...ats?version=180</a>

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->...
            }
            else
            {
              alienWins = alienWins + 1
            }

if (1 == 1)
            {
              marineWins = marineWins + 1
            }
            else
            {
            }

if (2 == 1)
            {
            }
            else
            {
            }

if (1 == 1)
            {
            }
            else
            {
            }

if (1 == 1)
            {
            }
            else
            {
            }

if (2 == 1)
            {
            }
            else
            {
            }

if (1 == 1)
            {
            }
            else
            {
            }

if (1 == 1)
            {
            }
            else
            {
            }

if (1 == 1)
            {
            }
            else
            {
            }

if (2 == 1)
            {
            }
            else
            {
            }

if (1 == 1)
            {
            }
            else
            {
            }

if (1 == 1)
            {
            }
            else
            {
            }

if (1 == 1)
            {
            }
            else
            {
            }

if (1 == 1)
            {
            }
            else
            {
            }

if (1 == 1)
            {
            }
            else
            {
            }

if (2 == 1)
            {
            }
            else
            {
            }

if (2 == 1)
            {
            }
            else
            {
            }

if (2 == 1)
            {
            }
            else
            {
            }

if (2 == 1)
            {
            }
            else
            {
            }

if (1 == 1)
            {
            }
            else
            {
            }

if (2 == 1)
            {
            }
            else
            {
            }

if (1 == 1)
            {
            }
            else
            {
            }

if (1 == 1)
            {
            }
            else
            {
            }

if (1 == 1)
            {
            }
            else
            {
            }

if (2 == 1)
            {
            }
            else
            {
            }

if (1 == 1)
            {
            }
            else
            {
            }

if (1 == 1)
            {
            }
            else
            {
            }

if (1 == 1)
            {
            }
            else
            {
            }

if (1 == 1)
            {
            }

}<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

Wth is with that...generated javascript?

Is there access to a json dump like the other data source?
  • TheGivingTreeTheGivingTree Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12070Members
    edited July 2011
    Haha it's nice to see your supporting facts UWE, but the real issue isn't about balance, what they care about is not being able to go 30-3 (exaggerated to stress the point) with a fade anymore. They refuse to adapt to the changes and actual role he plays, unless it's easily slaughtering entire teams solo.

When I hear people COMPLAINING that they are NOW losing 1v3 with a Fade shows how much of a joke it is and how people's sense of balance is completely off.

By the way, don't give into constant whining, if the FACTS show that Aliens are still winning more games that is far more important to go off by, then bias players who complain because they are having a harder time getting kills now (which this game ain't even about) and refusing to adapt.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1859905:date=Jul 12 2011, 01:13 PM:name=TheGivingTree)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheGivingTree @ Jul 12 2011, 01:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1859905"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Haha it's nice to see your supporting facts UWE, but the real issue isn't about balance, what they care about is not being able to go 30-3 (exaggerated to stress the point) with a fade anymore. They refuse to adapt to the changes and actual role he plays, unless it's easily slaughtering entire teams solo.

When I hear people COMPLAINING that they are NOW losing 1v3 with a Fade shows how much of a joke it is and how people's sense of balance is completely off.

By the way, don't give into constant whining, if the FACTS show that Aliens are still winning more games that is far more important to go off by, then bias players who complain because they are having a harder time getting kills now (which this game ain't even about) and refusing to adapt.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

what does slow on hit have to do with fades?! quoting the piecharts as cannon? *boggle*. It might be kool to pretend your elitist but you didnt even do it right
  • TrueVeritasTrueVeritas Join Date: 2006-10-20 Member: 58082Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1859905:date=Jul 11 2011, 10:13 PM:name=TheGivingTree)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheGivingTree @ Jul 11 2011, 10:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1859905"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Haha it's nice to see your supporting facts UWE, but the real issue isn't about balance, what they care about is not being able to go 30-3 (exaggerated to stress the point) with a fade anymore. They refuse to adapt to the changes and actual role he plays, unless it's easily slaughtering entire teams solo.

By the way, don't give into constant whining, if the FACTS show that Aliens are still winning more games that is far more important to go off by, then bias players who complain because they are having a harder time getting kills now (which this game ain't even about) and refusing to adapt.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

what am i even reading
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    edited July 2011
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->Changing marine and skulk movement - hoping to remove slowdown on damage, address marine hopping and make skulk movement more skilled. #fb<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

omg, finally? i hope you completely remove that slow on damage!!

if you're adding skill based movement to skulks, fade requires them as well so don't forget fades!
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    Could we get some details on exactly what theses changes are?
    I like the slow on hit for most circumstances, particularly aliens against marines. Skulks are a bit too vulnerable to it, but I wouldn't want it removing completely.