Croach instead of Infestation

intellixintellix Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63950Members
<div class="IPBDescription">What is it supposed to mean?</div>Seen the twitter post about replacing the long infestation word with croach... what does it even mean?

I did a google search and it said this: Showing results for crotch. Search instead for croach

Can't be good! :P

Comments

• SkumballSkumball Join Date: 2003-02-28 Member: 14134Members
    I know that "encroach" means to invade another space, so croach must be the name of the thing doing the invading. Hence the alien goo spreading across the map.
  • PedoKumaPedoKuma Join Date: 2011-01-10 Member: 76968Members
    edited June 2011
    Might be useful for you : <a href="https://docs.google.com/document/d/139ySUrBsO0m0Z4ilq0YsDEHJLQhBa6RrIjJIsckL2kE/edit?hl=en&authkey=CLCo8Z0J&pli=1" target="_blank">https://docs.google.com/document/d/139ySUrB...o8Z0J&pli=1</a>

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->O Mulling over new names for infestation. That name is too long and “growth” is hopelessly generic. Thinking seriously about Croach (as in “cockroach” and “encroach”).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

BTW, maybe it was refering to <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn7P1SwQmes" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn7P1SwQmes</a>
  • SepHir0tH77SepHir0tH77 Join Date: 2007-06-25 Member: 61370Members
    I don't think 4 syllables is too long of word personally - Also Infestation fits the subject perfectly - Croach doesn't add up too well for me... maybe that's just me.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    edited June 2011
    Don't know, but it's a horrible idea.

Apparently infestation is generic, but MAC isn't.
  • ArawnArawn Join Date: 2003-02-01 Member: 12954Members
    edited June 2011
    I guarantee you everyone's going to be calling it "creep" anyway, so why fight it? :p Unless they can come up with an equally cool/short name for it.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    I do not think croach is a good name, sounds too much like crotch.

--Scythe--
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    UWE can't call it creep officially. Not for legal reasons, but so that they don't look like complete lame copy cats. I have no problem with Infestation. It fits perfectly with the game.

Croach sounds like its something I'll find in my gym shorts, and it will still seem like they are copying creep...but a poor man's creep. Infestation just sounds better. Its a 4 syllable word, and proud of it! and if you can't say it, f*ck you!

Call it infestation officially, and let people call it creep if they want.
  • ItalianmagicItalianmagic Join Date: 2008-12-13 Member: 65755Members
    I as well find croach a little unsettling. As others with crotch, I keep thinking crouch.

If open to suggestions, my would be:
    Dread, surge, tide, crest, root, sap, flux, efflux, rush, pulse, crest, marrow, or terrace.

cheers.
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited June 2011
    Quick, spread the crotch!
  • Death_by_bulletsDeath_by_bullets Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27336Members
    In terms of the games storyline, background, plot, ect ect, how is it that the Marines would derive the word "Croach" from the infestation. I understand the developers think that it coming from "cockroach" and "encroach" makes sense but in the game I don't see any real connection that the Marines would have. Usually names are given on a characteristic of the material or any off shot of the scientific name. I see both creep and infestation appropriate for this.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Heck, StarCraft might not exist in the NS universe, so "creep" wouldn't make any sense to them.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    En"croach"ing infestation. Sounds ok to me. Once the 10 year-olds stop snickering, it will be fine.

I think "slime" sounds better...kind of like a derogatory term coined by the marines that stuck.
  • EpidemicEpidemic Dark Force Gorge Join Date: 2003-06-29 Member: 17781Members
    I like the name, it's unique and the meaning is still intact.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Uh yeah. Change something integral and core to the game which has always been integral and core to be known as "infestation" and call it something fringe and lame like "croach".

It won't catch on. Why can't you guys just go back to basics, KISS. Keep it simple, stupid.
  • SeraphaceSeraphace Join Date: 2011-04-26 Member: 95644Members
    I think it should be called Scourge
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    Infestation is better, and far more widely recognized by all age groups. Seriously, ask a five year old if 'infestation' is a good thing, compared to 'encroaching'. They'll derive it's bad due to the closeness of 'infection'.
    Pushes the game further toward niche description. Which sounds like something that would make more sense to a NON-player?
    <ul><li>I spread the croach to north mess</li><li>I spread the infestation to north mess</li></ul>
    Similar, easier to say 'infest north mess' than 'need croach at north mess'. FAR less clunky and awkward as far as in-game communication goes.

Same thing with SC creep... it was a descriptive term that was moved to an official name, so you KNEW what it was without a big arrow. Infestation is the same, for the NS universe... calling it 'Croach', new players will either need it explained, or not pick up that the infestation all around them is actually called 'Croach'.

My two cents squarely against 'croach'.
  • intellixintellix Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63950Members
    I think its a little over the top to be honest. Why not just leave it as it is :D
  • WiltdogWiltdog Join Date: 2011-05-26 Member: 100980Members
    Thinking about it for a day or two.

Leave it as it is. Croach is stupid. Infestation is fine to type out or say.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I just say DI as an abbreviation of dynamic infestation. Its just much simpler than either saying or typing a word.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1851855:date=Jun 11 2011, 02:36 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jun 11 2011, 02:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851855"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just say DI as an abbreviation of dynamic infestation. Its just much simpler than either saying or typing a word.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think this as well. Just write it DI and pronounce it as such. It's got a nice, esoteric feel, and we wouldn't have to spin up any new lore-words.
  • BarerRudeROCBarerRudeROC Join Date: 2010-10-01 Member: 74264Members
    edited June 2011
    Infestation is a pain in the hole to re-iterate in game.
    And even when I say DI, some (new) Commanders don't get the message.
    I would rather it be called Croach, Squam or even Taint.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    The thing is, 'Dynamic Infestation' is a mechanic/feature. It's infestation which can take over areas dynamically.
    In-game, I don't think I've heard anyone have a problem saying 'infestation is up to mess hall' or 'west tech point is infested'.
    Don't think I've ever heard someone say 'we need dynamic infestation out here' in a game. 'Spread more infestation' or 'infest more', yes.
  • louis cardinallouis cardinal Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75664Members
    infestation is the name to call it, croach is just bad because:

sounds weird and is not easy to get used to (sounds odd)
  • jkflipflopjkflipflop Join Date: 2010-10-13 Member: 74423Members
    The dedicated server still can't provide more than 25 updates a second at the very best and we're worried about this?

I have to shake my head in wonderment.
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    edited June 2011
    Player: "Comm please infest this room!"
    Comm: "It is infested"
    Player: "Ohh I didn't see the infestation (or DI even) spreading"

I don't see a problem here
    or...

Player: "Comm please croach this room!"
    Comm: "It is crouched"
    Player: "Ohh I didn't see the crouch spreading"

we have a problem
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1851884:date=Jun 11 2011, 02:54 PM:name=jkflipflop)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jkflipflop @ Jun 11 2011, 02:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851884"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The dedicated server still can't provide more than 25 updates a second at the very best and we're worried about this?

I have to shake my head in wonderment.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's not like all the UWE staff all handle the engine stuff, this has nothing to do with that.
  • darktimesdarktimes Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63247Members
    I am against the change.

DI is fine, short to type, descriptive, fitting, a long established word in NS1 and Beta, and the croach thing doesn't have the right ring to it. it seems to far fetched.

DI is perfect.
  • 1stToast1stToast Join Date: 2007-12-02 Member: 63067Members
    Does "SLURM" have a copywrite? :p
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I'm going for 'Grout'

It's used to build things, and is also a mix of 'Growth' and 'Gout' (disease).

Lines like "Oh GOD the Grout is here!" and "Place some more Grout here so I can build Hydras" works for me! :)
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    mmm, my croach is just itching for a good grouting.