Why cant we evolve on walls?

PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
<div class="IPBDescription">Just askin...</div>So why cant we evolve on the walls? Its really difficult to find a spot not near a wall.

Comments

• DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    i don't think the roots of an egg would support the weight of an onos
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2011
    [The alien biotype has roots which] already supports big things like the hive so why not an Onos?

Edit:rephrased
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1848323:date=May 24 2011, 11:38 PM:name=Evil_bOb1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Evil_bOb1 @ May 24 2011, 11:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848323"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It already supports big things like the hive so why not an Onos?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Last time I checked, those were the Hive's own support vines?
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    Evolving on walls just isnt practical to implement, since you would need a really big model for support for larger eggs (Onos/fade), and with all the variation in wall structures it would just look ridiculous at best.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Besides I would suggest that evolution should make aliens vulnerable, especially if they're evolving into something like an onos. They shouldn't be able to do that in secrecy.

I mean yeah sure if you're going lerk crawl into the roof space to do it, but fade or especially onos? Should probably be on the ground.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1848370:date=May 25 2011, 12:12 PM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ May 25 2011, 12:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848370"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Evolving on walls just isnt practical to implement, since you would need a really big model for support for larger eggs (Onos/fade), and with all the variation in wall structures it would just look ridiculous at best.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What!? You mean when an Onos has to evolve to buy upgrades he's not going to morph back into that teeny egg?

<!--quoteo(post=1848399:date=May 25 2011, 01:55 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ May 25 2011, 01:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848399"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Besides I would suggest that evolution should make aliens vulnerable, especially if they're evolving into something like an onos. They shouldn't be able to do that in secrecy.

I mean yeah sure if you're going lerk crawl into the roof space to do it, but fade or especially onos? Should probably be on the ground.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I really dislike how the egg has the same WEAK 200/0 HP/Armor through your evolution. It really seems like your health/armor should start off close to 0 and gradually grow to the values of the life-form you are evolving to. Much like when structures are... constructing.
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    "Sir, I've reached the hive and I spotted an egg right above m- OH GOD THE ONOS IS HOVARING WITHOUT FLAPPI- *bzzt!*

And that's how he broke his everything.
  • eisigereisiger Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75159Members
    Onos hatching on a ceiling and finishes evolving as soon as a squad of marines walk under it.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1848439:date=May 26 2011, 12:23 AM:name=KuBaN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KuBaN @ May 26 2011, 12:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848439"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really dislike how the egg has the same WEAK 200/0 HP/Armor through your evolution. It really seems like your health/armor should start off close to 0 and gradually grow to the values of the life-form you are evolving to. Much like when structures are... constructing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hmm, since this is how it works already I take it you're praising that change compared to NS1?
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1848449:date=May 25 2011, 08:09 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ May 25 2011, 08:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848449"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hmm, since this is how it works already I take it you're praising that change compared to NS1?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    *facepalms and then goes to confirm*

Edit: How did I never notice that...
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    Gestating on the walls/ceiling would look rather good, especially with dynamic infestation splashed across the room. With DI, I'd imagine such a thing being possible, it'd be a nice feature.
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    Most of the problems I could imagine happening happen sometimes even on the ground, though rarely, going from a small model to a bigger/different one (even skulk to gorge) can get you stuck if you're even just sitting in a dip in the ground just right. Then you take it further (skulk to onos) and you better hope you have a /stuck plugin ready to go..

Granted some of this could be remedied.. it's not really that important in the first place really, cool as it may be to go from skulk to lerk off the side of a wall.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1848451:date=May 26 2011, 01:10 AM:name=KuBaN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KuBaN @ May 26 2011, 01:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848451"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->*facepalms and then goes to confirm*

Edit: How did I never notice that...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Probably because if you're near any healing structures the health refills very quickly up to maximum, much faster than if you evolve away from the hive.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Even then, the maximum hp in the egg is different depending on lifeform. 300 for fade, 150 or 125 for lerk...
  • SiniStarRSiniStarR Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71380Members
    I would hate it if aliens could evolve on walls, especially, ceilings. If marines can't see behind them while purchasing weapons and building structures, Aliens should also be vulnerable for evolving. Even with the lurk, I don't think its entirely fair to fly up on a rafter in the middle of no where.

I think it would be more interesting if eggs could only evolve on infestation. This could also help the Gorge's crisis right now of lack of support roles. If someone wanted to evolve real quick, they could ask a near by gorge to plant infestation instead of having to run all the way back. And with the game in it's current state, it not like there is ever a lack of infestation.

My 2 cents.
  • UKchaosUKchaos Join Date: 2002-08-10 Member: 1132Members
    It bothersome that half the replies only discuss the 'realism' of the matter and dont seem to be concerned with any gameplay implication.

As others have said, Eggs should be easy to kill. You need to punish players for being to greedy or careless and reinforce the depandancy players have to their teammates. It can lead to these dramatic moments where, for example, the kharra are scrambling to defend their gestating onos that is critical to hive defence. If you could evolve on any surface it would be far too easy to exploit map architecture and be invunrable to anything other than a jetpack.
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would hate it if aliens could evolve on walls, especially, ceilings. If marines can't see behind them while purchasing weapons and building structures, Aliens should also be vulnerable for evolving. Even with the lurk, I don't think its entirely fair to fly up on a rafter in the middle of no where.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Eh, if marines are quick about purchases, they're vulnerable for what..? 2 to 3 seconds tops? It's not really a fair comparison to sitting on the floor for far-far longer, not that I'm supporting this idea really, it doesn't really seem necessary.

When I evolve it's usually in a hiding spot anyways or at the hive where it's generally safe to do it. It also keeps those quick class swaps rightfully dangerous out in the field. Though even then I barely need to change that often outside of dying first, so doing it in the field in the first place is reasonably rare, for me anyways.