Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 173 Released

Comments

• SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    So nice to see the server console back to the normal again!! 172 was spamming a lot and was slow booting. All looks good server side for 173 so far.
  • LenardLenard Join Date: 2008-02-12 Member: 63636Members
    edited April 2011
    I really, really want to play this game, but ###### man it just crashes so much. I have never played longer than one life. I know it's in beta but I can't help but be infuriated! Everything makes me crash! Killing a player, killing a building, pulling up the mini-map, entering the comm chair, or nothing at all! And the worst part is, sometimes these things don't make me crash at all! Maybe if I could pin something down it would be less frustrating... I just want to be able to play one good match. :'(

And my system is legit too! I just got portal 2 and it runs ###### beautifully. I have never had any problems like this before. Maybe the beta process is just too agonizing for me.

I just tried it again and it crashed before the game even opened! >:(
  • FredDurschtFredDurscht Join Date: 2009-12-18 Member: 69704Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1841921:date=Apr 22 2011, 08:26 AM:name=Lenard)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lenard @ Apr 22 2011, 08:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1841921"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And my system is legit too! I just got portal 2 and it runs ###### beautifully. I have never had any problems like this before. Maybe the beta process is just too agonizing for me.

I just tried it again and it crashed before the game even opened! >:(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Portal2 runs o a 7 years old engine, that is well optimized and probably in development for 9-10 years!

173 runs fine here, but in general, i had very few problems with all the builds !
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    People, complaining you're crashing wont help much unless you post up your logs. That's what Max & Brian(s) can use to work out what's going on and fix it.

You can find you crash logs here:

C:\Users\YourWindowsLoginName\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2

They will be called log.txt or similar. Upload that or paste in the last few lines with your problem and things will get fixed faster.
  • AdamaAdama Join Date: 2010-12-21 Member: 75826Members
    I run several instances of HLDS on 1 server. The client can still only connect to one (whichever runs on 27015) - can this please be addressed?

I recall this being a bug in the client from many builds ago.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    If you click the mouse button rapidly with the assault rifle the animation and the sound become out of sync and it looks/feels weird.
  • jkflipflopjkflipflop Join Date: 2010-10-13 Member: 74423Members
    Broken doors need fixed asap. That's a game-killer.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1841948:date=Apr 22 2011, 01:05 PM:name=jkflipflop)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jkflipflop @ Apr 22 2011, 01:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1841948"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Broken doors need fixed asap. That's a game-killer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Best bug. You want through here? NO! INVISIBLE WALL! That's right. I lied to you. What you going to do, shoot a portal through me? :D
  • T_RATT_RAT Join Date: 2002-12-17 Member: 10967Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Pros: Game runs alot smoother now. Noticed it also in 172.

Cons: Can't walk through some open doors. eg: Door locks are red, but they open, but you can't walk through them. Invisible barrier.
    Black screen at end of round . People arent rejoining after this. total buz killer.
  • iBlaze_iBlaze_ Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75859Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1841948:date=Apr 22 2011, 01:05 PM:name=jkflipflop)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jkflipflop @ Apr 22 2011, 01:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1841948"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Broken doors need fixed asap. That's a game-killer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Cannot shoot thru open doors, cannot leap thru them, cannot blink thru them..
  • VicVic Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75106Members
    +1 to doors, also Fade swipes still fail to connect to moving marines 4 out of 5 times or so.

Another issue, sentries lose track of the target whenever someone goes through their LOS and they have to reacquire it, which makes them pretty useless in crowded areas or when supporting an attack. Probably intended though :)

Otherwise, performance (especially server's performance) is quite improved, props for that.
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    +1 to the door issue needing a fix. Game keeps playing better and better though it's pretty exciting to see.

Trailing flamethrower effects soon?
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Looking better, now if UWE can just fix my crashing issues. I randomly crash every few minutes, but they said they were working on it, and It does seem that I crash a Little less often.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Seems drifters have a harder time building stuff in this patch. I had a very hard time getting drifters to build res nodes, as it took 3+ tries. Hives also took several tries to build. Didn't have that much of a problem in the past few patches.
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    It's amusing how much of a little terror these doors have been the last few patches.
  • AvalonAvalon Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60224Members
    For those of you crashing, have you tried running any hardware diagnostics such as Prime95, memtest, or furmark just to verify you don't have a 1 in 1000 chance hardware error happening specifically with this game?

Or tried a different set of drivers? Newer ones perhaps? Need specs and info if your crashes are to be useful and get fixed.
  • KarbaKarba Join Date: 2006-09-23 Member: 58040Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    Build 173 = doors megabug + no performance increase + game crashing when disconnect from a server = see you in 174..................
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1841976:date=Apr 22 2011, 11:58 AM:name=Avalon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Avalon @ Apr 22 2011, 11:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1841976"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For those of you crashing, have you tried running any hardware diagnostics such as Prime95, memtest, or furmark just to verify you don't have a 1 in 1000 chance hardware error happening specifically with this game?

Or tried a different set of drivers? Newer ones perhaps? Need specs and info if your crashes are to be useful and get fixed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    had older drivers, updated drivers, game was fine all the way through alpha-beta 169. 2 minutes into 170 crashes. has been doing it ever since the new "optimizations" were added.

every other game i play can be maxxed out 1920x1080 (ns2 used to be able to do this prior to 170 as well. system temps and vid card temps are either at normal temps or under). Havent o/c anything as well.

GTX 470
    AMD Phenom 955 BE
    4 gigs ram
    win 7
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    So did the broken doors not show up in internal playtests? Seems like it would be blatantly obvious, as it seems to affect everyone.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1842006:date=Apr 22 2011, 07:44 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Apr 22 2011, 07:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1842006"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So did the broken doors not show up in internal playtests? Seems like it would be blatantly obvious, as it seems to affect everyone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    A lot of the time playtests are done on Rockdown, because we sometimes don't have enough people to playtest a larger map, like tram. Most of the time this is fine, for testing purposes to simply find and fix bugs, but it was realized too late that the one thing Rockdown doesn't have on it is doors.

Stuff like this is bound to be missed, when so many things are being worked on and fixed at once and patches are being put out frequently.

--Cory
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1842007:date=Apr 22 2011, 08:10 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Apr 22 2011, 08:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1842007"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A lot of the time playtests are done on Rockdown, because we sometimes don't have enough people to playtest a larger map, like tram. Most of the time this is fine, for testing purposes to simply find and fix bugs, but it was realized too late that the one thing Rockdown doesn't have on it is doors.

Stuff like this is bound to be missed, when so many things are being worked on and fixed at once and patches are being put out frequently.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Rockdown needs a door!
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    I think testing your game on a map you're not going to use such as rockdown, at this stage in development, is pretty terrible. Using Tram or another map that will be in the game, just makes sense.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1842007:date=Apr 22 2011, 03:10 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Apr 22 2011, 03:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1842007"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A lot of the time playtests are done on Rockdown, because we sometimes don't have enough people to playtest a larger map, like tram. Most of the time this is fine, for testing purposes to simply find and fix bugs, but it was realized too late that the one thing Rockdown doesn't have on it is doors.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

sounds like its time to get new testers too
  • MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
    How does a bug like this just appear anyway?
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    I just don't like how doors work right now. their is no point in locking them, if I can park my whip near the door to open it for everyone. I've even had games where marine commander left his mac at the door, so the door would stay open while the marines could fire through it.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1842011:date=Apr 22 2011, 08:38 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Apr 22 2011, 08:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1842011"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think testing your game on a map you're not going to use such as rockdown, at this stage in development, is pretty terrible. Using Tram or another map that will be in the game, just makes sense.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Having only 4 - 5 people running on Tram is pretty terrible, too. It makes it much harder to test combat and a lot of general gameplay to find bugs. Its not from lack of trying to get more people around to play, but a lot of the time we need to test often and over several days at a variety of different times when working on these patches, and don't always have the available manpower we need. As I said, we aren't testing balance and how gameplay works just with Rockdown, its merely to find big obvious bugs that may have broken in the patch. Of which, pretty much EVERYTHING can be done on Rockdown, with the one exception being doors, apparently.

We have a limited amount of time to spend just simply testing each patch. We can spend it waiting much longer for the larger maps like Tram to load, have a difficult time running all over the place to find other players, or we can test on a small map like Rockdown and spend more time fixing bugs and working on the actual game.

--Cory
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1842010:date=Apr 22 2011, 01:33 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Apr 22 2011, 01:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1842010"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Rockdown needs a door!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm thinking between marine start and west somewhere. Also, I believe the solution to anything is to slap a door on it.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1842025:date=Apr 22 2011, 04:59 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Apr 22 2011, 04:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1842025"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm thinking between marine start and west somewhere. Also, I believe the solution to anything is to slap a door on it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

between west power node area and that little hallway where the high vent spills out from central. a door will really mess up rockdown gameplay unless its completely redundant.
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    you really should put in a door or two, you will forget about that again some day :D