Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 168 released

2»

Comments

• DepotDepot The ModFather Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7956Members
    Thanks for the update, great work guys.

From the NS2 website page, if you click on "NS2 Build 168 released" it takes you to "NS2 Build 167 released", FYI.
  • GreenFlameGreenFlame Join Date: 2011-03-17 Member: 86860Members
    Have been following the game long enough, but it's my first post here =)
    Watched the video and enjoyed the full-rotation camera mode, as i understand not many people like it, but i'd like to use it very much, actually i thought that such mode will be the final/only one, so could you make it be optional? I think it feels more real and also i guess it is better for roof crawling, anyway you've done the code =)
    The game is turning out very good, Good Luck on it! =)
  • TheSlimTheSlim Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43384Members
    I don't know about you, but i haven't played NS2 for months due to the bad FPS rate. My guess is that if the FPS drops would be fixed, lots of people who has bought the game would play more frequently, meaning, better feedback. Although it might not be the best idea to work on performance while the game is still being built. just letting you know that i've been putting this game to the side unless it works better.
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    edited March 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1837575:date=Mar 17 2011, 05:13 PM:name=TheSlim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheSlim @ Mar 17 2011, 05:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837575"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know about you, but i haven't played NS2 for months due to the bad FPS rate. My guess is that if the FPS drops would be fixed, lots of people who has bought the game would play more frequently, meaning, better feedback. Although it might not be the best idea to work on performance while the game is still being built. just letting you know that i've been putting this game to the side unless it works better.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Seconded. Dev's please fix low FPS rates. Everytime i see a new patch i hope to see <i>- Rendering optimisations</i> of any sort mentioned in the change log.
  • AvalonAvalon Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60224Members
    edited March 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1837585:date=Mar 17 2011, 06:19 PM:name=zeep)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zeep @ Mar 17 2011, 06:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837585"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seconded. Dev's please fix low FPS rates. Everytime i see a new patch i hope to see <i>- Rendering optimisations</i> of any sort mentioned in the change log.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They might not explicitly say rendering optimization, though. Might be some tasks that get done that improve performance and you might not even know it from the name.
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    Hmm, conflicted about skulk wallwalk camera changes... It seems to spaz-out a bit (a bad thing, despite my name). An option to switch between the three modes (no angle changes (classic NS), leaning (current), AvP (experimental)) would be a good compromise, perhaps.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    169 is out - go play!
  • korvokorvo Join Date: 2009-11-19 Member: 69427Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2011
    Shaking camera causes <b><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->sickness/nausea<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b>! There have to be defenitly a way to deactivate it, it makes the game unplayable for me as skulk!

Edit: This doesn't occure in other games with a shaking camera - maybe the shake itself can be improoved - it have to be ease to get a feel for the shake...
  • stickybootstickyboot Join Date: 2004-01-29 Member: 25711Members, Constellation
    I really like the wolfire-esq update videos! Makes my visits to the news page much more interesting and gives me a better idea of what to look for between updates! Thanks!
  • scorpydudescorpydude Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43603Members
    Skulk view not rotating like in AvP is lame.

Too nauseating... well here is a tip... give the players the choice! I bet you the majority of players choose to use the view from AvP...
  • shokkshokk Join Date: 2011-03-22 Member: 87927Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1837585:date=Mar 17 2011, 06:19 PM:name=zeep)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zeep @ Mar 17 2011, 06:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837585"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seconded. Dev's please fix low FPS rates. Everytime i see a new patch i hope to see <i>- Rendering optimisations</i> of any sort mentioned in the change log.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this.

bought this yesterday, played it once and now i'm waiting.
    there's really no way for me as long it is THAT stuttering/laggy. I cannot even tell if it's the server, my machine, the coding, or something else.
    all I know is, that this game (source engine) should run with no complaints in terms of performance at all. BFBC2, MW2, BO, etc. running smooth... NS2 not.

I'm not seriously complaining because I was already prepared to dive into issues, as this is just a BETA, but imho it's a little bit questionable to see some of the developers caring about the camera-movement instead of teaming up all together to get rid of the main issues... which should be top of all other activities. after a while this "image-damage" could hurt the final release, even if everything will be fixed...

btw.
    @video:
    hardware-specs of this machine? seems to be kinda smooth :)
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    Liking these patch overview vids. The new skulk wall walk and the new atmospheric sounds are brilliant. Really well done.
  • RedDragonGeckoRedDragonGecko Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10564Members
    Why not change the orientation of the first person view model when wall/ceiling walking?
    A lot more intuitive than the camera tilt. Should give less people motion sickness from 'shaking' the camera back and forth.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1838386:date=Mar 22 2011, 09:40 PM:name=shokk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shokk @ Mar 22 2011, 09:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1838386"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->this.

bought this yesterday, played it once and now i'm waiting.
    there's really no way for me as long it is THAT stuttering/laggy. I cannot even tell if it's the server, my machine, the coding, or something else.
    all I know is, that this game (source engine) should run with no complaints in terms of performance at all. BFBC2, MW2, BO, etc. running smooth... NS2 not.

I'm not seriously complaining because I was already prepared to dive into issues, as this is just a BETA, but imho it's a little bit questionable to see some of the developers caring about the camera-movement instead of teaming up all together to get rid of the main issues... which should be top of all other activities. after a while this "image-damage" could hurt the final release, even if everything will be fixed...

btw.
    @video:
    hardware-specs of this machine? seems to be kinda smooth :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is not on the Source engine, this is their own engine called spark. All the editing tools and engine have been created by the team, consisting of around 7 full time employees.

You can tell what engine a game uses, because they always tend to look so similar stylistically speaking.

This is why there are networking problems, they have a dedicated man on the job, but it takes time and not everyone can do the same job at the same time. It will not be done any quicker.