Development Blog Update - NS2 Build 163 - Infestation Patch Video

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
Please post comments on the topic Development Blog Update - NS2 Build 163 - Infestation Patch Video here

Comments

• PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Thank you so much Charlie and team for sticking it out (It's so late there!), watching this now.

You should rock up to work tomorrow at lunch time for a half day! :)
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited February 2011
    THANK YOU!

When you started showing the DI, I couldnt see what caused it to generate from that point, can anyone explain?

Whip walking....what can I say....adorable?
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    The commander was clicking where to place it peregrinus; I think it needs to be near existing DI to be placed any further (it grows).

Good idea about gorges having a supportive role in this area.

Very cool changes and great change log, everyone's efforts are appreciated!
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    edited February 2011
    Thanks a ton UWE :)

I think you press Infest, then click where you want DI to grow, and it'll proceed to generate over a moderately sized area. I hope it costs energy from the Hive to balance between Drifter production and soon-to-come Metabolize.

Edit: So Infest costs 25 energy! Perhaps there's also a limited range?
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    BEST PATCH EVER. I definitely will play this.

Alien vision mode = boss. Dynamic Infestation = boss. Whip walking = adorable. Sentry turret graphic = great. Gorge spreading dynamic infestation = boss.

The video patch note was very nice. Since you guys release a major patch every month or two weeks, could you adopt this approach for future patches?

Imma rewatch this.
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    very, very exciting. definitely playing a few hours after work today.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Awesome, glad you guys like this format! Of course, not every patch will have this much visual and gameplay stuff in it, but we're going to try!

PsiWarp - you're right on the money on all counts. The mouse cursor isn't captured in this footage, but yes, it costs energy from the hive and it goes wherever you click.
    Can drifters build hives where there is no infestation?
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    Almost on the moon guys!!!

Can it be placed on walls and props?
    I heard that it creeps away when its not connected to a hive; but does it also creep on its own account slowly over time?

I wonder how this impacts alien's capturing RTs early in the game (they now need DI close to the RTs to keep it alive).
  • xVisionsxVisions Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68021Members
    .... can we get a plasma torch.. i kinda want to cut limbs off of the whip.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    The music is a smidgen too loud compared to your speaking, but it's an awesome format for introducing new features, not only visually spectacular ones.

Can't wait!

--Scythe--
  • Spritz2k11Spritz2k11 Join Date: 2011-01-23 Member: 78679Members
    Awesome guys! 163, the SC2-patch.
  • Slickk-Slickk- Join Date: 2007-11-26 Member: 63019Members
    Whip walking is probably the funniest and most terrifying thing i've ever seen.

"When they get their bombard ability, we expect Whip Walking to be used in an offensive way..." - It's behind you style?!

Great video and looking forward to giving the patch a go when i get back from Uni for the day!
  • LethalShadowLethalShadow Join Date: 2005-01-17 Member: 36026Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1832781:date=Feb 17 2011, 05:33 AM:name=Slickk-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slickk- @ Feb 17 2011, 05:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832781"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"When they get their bombard ability, we expect Whip Walking to be used in an offensive way..." - It's behind you style?!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nah more like "It's coming right for us!" ....at like 1 mile per hour.

Seriously though, new vision is awesome.
  • SatanLovesYOuSatanLovesYOu Join Date: 2004-05-03 Member: 28410Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1832779:date=Feb 17 2011, 02:30 AM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Feb 17 2011, 02:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832779"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The music is a smidgen too loud compared to your speaking<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree there, but love the new stuff!
    I'm worried that a marine could simply run near a hive and flame the infestation, cutting off everything and killing all structures. Hope there will be some warning for the alien commander so he can call on gorges to repair the gap.

Maybe the video title should be changed to 'Prototype Infestation patch' - or people will start saying this isnt the same as the old previewed infestation ¬.¬
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    163 exists!

Looks like a lot of work went into this one, it will be interesting to see how all of the changes and additions impact the gameplay. The walking whip is hilarious, it channels the vibe of the old gorge from ns1.

And kudos on getting DI going, glad to see you guys are making the effort in bringing that incredibly audacious feature to the game. Visuals can wait, the complexity of making it all work with all of the various systems in a 3d environment is the test now!
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    I hope the servers dont lag out this patch.
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Epic patch will be epic. Great job UWE. Glad I woke up from my sleep to see this. Back to bed I go!
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1832785:date=Feb 17 2011, 09:42 AM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Feb 17 2011, 09:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832785"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm worried that a marine could simply run near a hive and flame the infestation, cutting off everything and killing all structures. Hope there will be some warning for the alien commander so he can call on gorges to repair the gap.

Maybe the video title should be changed to 'Prototype Infestation patch' - or people will start saying this isnt the same as the old previewed infestation ¬.¬<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or possibly infestation is invulnerable if it's in the middle of a patch? Killing a hive could kill infestation nearby (tyranid synapse logic) but if the hive has had infestation grown out from it, the infestation itself should be hard to get rid of at the source without killing the hive.
    ^ Yea I hope that the infestation 'links' are invulnerable so marines have to kill the outer parts first, that will be better for gameplay.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    edited February 2011
    Thanks Charlie ^^

Though, if it goes wherever the Alien Commander clicks, wouldn't he be able to rapidly cover Marine territory if granted vision? Certainly there must be a limited range :P

Also, edited wiki for new info on infestation~
  • ChocoZumaChocoZuma Join Date: 2007-11-19 Member: 62961Members
    The video has been removed by user?

Ahhhh, I really wanted to see it.
  • ChocoZumaChocoZuma Join Date: 2007-11-19 Member: 62961Members
    oh, its back up. Yay!
    <!--quoteo(post=1832791:date=Feb 17 2011, 10:54 AM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Feb 17 2011, 10:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832791"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks Charlie ^^

Though, if it goes wherever the Alien Commander clicks, wouldn't he be able to rapidly cover Marine territory if granted vision? Certainly there must be a limited range :P

Also, edited wiki for new info on infestation~<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It has to be connected to a hive or it will wither. I suppose a gorge could rush forward and maintain a patch until the commander links it up to a hive.
    <!--quoteo(post=1832794:date=Feb 17 2011, 02:13 AM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Feb 17 2011, 02:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832794"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It has to be connected to a hive or it will wither. I suppose a gorge could rush forward and maintain a patch until the commander links it up to a hive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

True, it all depends on the recede time for large patches. By the way, did he mention Kharaa can only regenerate health on infestation?
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited February 2011
    Looks like a solid patch. Kudos to Simon for the perfect alien flashlight sounds, and for getting the right sound down for the rifle.

The 'sentry guide' looks a bit low res/static from the video, but I imagine it'll get improved later on. Good to see DI finally making it into the game. Yay for commander/gorge partnership. I hope the gorge got his squishy footsteps back!
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    hahhaha Whimp+Gorge Rush :)
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Looks awesome and great. Although I worry that the infestation mechanics are a little too much like SC2... I guess there's no point in different for the sake of different.