Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 162 released

1235»

Comments

• vEtEr4nvEtEr4n Join Date: 2005-01-08 Member: 33883Members
    I would just like to say, on this snowstorm morning that I really see the potential in this new build. I sense the atmosphere and the old ns feel, I really do. Good work guys, thanks so much for making this great game! If I ever said that this should have been done on Source, I regret it!!!!
  • RTVRTV Join Date: 2008-06-09 Member: 64417Members
    The Flamer is even overpowered!
    Horrible to play, its better to wait for final release, then play the beta.
  • NikNik Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46123Members
    Flamethrower - a nice spin on its function, however the damage versus players definately needs to be cut down! Also craigs and gorges should be able to get rid of the DPS, otherwise you just wait to die everytime instead of being able to do something about it.
  • RUben1RUben1 Join Date: 2010-11-24 Member: 75246Members
    On the long term, the game is absolutly not playable. After a good hour and half, the server is just unplayable with lag (I think it even crashed in the end). Ofcourse hydra's and turrets are being placed. I self crashed twice in that game. And when I wanted to re-join, I was still in game and thus couldnt join, because the server was full.

Also noticed a big lag spike when the transponder got activated.
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    edited January 2011
    Now this is getting tiring...

Watch NS2HD have a looooooooong brilliant battle, with nary an issue on his vids.

Then load up a match and...

Feel like your are wading thru a thick liquid, 3 steps forward, 2 back.
    Cant hit ###### most the time, and get wierd kills while facing the wrong way ?
    Crashes on a whim ... playing away then black screen, bong bong windows error audio cue , send report ...and even that crashes! WTH!
    Try aim on a enemy to shoot him, move left a tad, server puts you right a tad, move left a tad again ..server puts you right a tad again.
    I put 3 shotgun shells at point blank into a fades back who was swiping a SG... no hit effects at all.
    I shot a Skulk at less than a meter , the shot registerd on the wall behind the Skulk at least half a meter opposite of the direction I was swinging my rifle around... lag.

Either NS2HD's vids are being artificially smoothed ( I doubt it ) or theres a huge issue with most of the player set up servers that are available.
    I paid for NS 2 because I was happy to pay for all the fun I had in NS 1 , so I dont consider it a financial loss , but I must admit I am despairing UWE will ever sort out the game.
    Its so variable its insane , I am pretty certain the majority of the issues are on the server software to be honest. I cant tell you though if its the software or the player set servers hardware and software configs...

... all I can say its getting harder to bother loading up NS 2 with each build that seems to get... worse ?
    I hate complaining ( believe me or not :P ) , but if I could actually fraps my experiences ...it would be a stark contrast to NS2HD's shiny version I am afraid to say.
    Sorry.
  • ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Maybe you shouldn't play the game again until it is ready for release then.

I'm fed up of people whining about how they can't have a proper game before the full game is released. You should be happy you got to see it at all.

This is a chance to sample what is to come, nothing more. If you are not giving some proper bug feedback, quit your bellyaching. You are not helping.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    so i read the entire thing and...well....what are your hardware specs? We actually might be able to help you enjoy it but without the vital information of your system specifications we can't do that....or did you just want to vent?
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1828262:date=Jan 29 2011, 12:23 AM:name=ForlornHope)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ForlornHope @ Jan 29 2011, 12:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1828262"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe you shouldn't play the game again until it is ready for release then.

I'm fed up of people whining about how they can't have a proper game before the full game is released. You should be happy you got to see it at all.

This is a chance to sample what is to come, nothing more. If you are not giving some proper bug feedback, quit your bellyaching. You are not helping.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Forlorn , oi but wth ... is it bellyachin when most of the server is complaining about the same bloody things , its not like I am the ONLY bugger complaining here.
    Hey, let me in your little secret then, as NS 2 run flawlessly for you mate... whats the magic here ? Dont be a sadist and keep it to yourself , I want to enjoy NS 2 myself .

I am fed up of people pretending NS 2 runs like a dream and has no hassles, is just like NS2HD vids show things...smooth , prehaps a few ping issues but it compansates it like magic yeah ?

<!--quoteo(post=1828281:date=Jan 29 2011, 01:04 AM:name=SN.Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SN.Wolf @ Jan 29 2011, 01:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1828281"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->so i read the entire thing and...well....what are your hardware specs? We actually might be able to help you enjoy it but without the vital information of your system specifications we can't do that....or did you just want to vent?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wolf , my rig aint top range but for a Dx9 game... I figure it should run reasonably well, and it does on a a server I create myself for lan and solo test , but when I go online on the few servers with players on its a different game entirely.

My rig : AthlonII x4 630 ( 3.4 ghz ) , 4 gigs ddr3 RAM , gtx 260 , Win7 Home Pre. , System and drivers up to date and processes down to bare minimal I can get away with.

I am not expecting smooth gameplay, but I have been testing since alpha and it has improved since the bad alpha engine it has gone up and down since.
    Yes its a beta , but if you watch NS2HD's vids you get the impression its far better than it really is...

... as I said I dont consider it cash wasted , I am happy to pay for my NS 1 experience, but NS 2 is not close to being a fun game online now, and I feel it may be the player set up servers ( hardware or software ).

ForlornHope you represent the player type that refuses to see fault, no matter the reality ... I wish I could ignore the current online gameplay issues. I say my rig meets the standards for this game, but possibly the servers in the EU/UK are incorrectly setup.
    Yes ?
  • resresresresresres Join Date: 2007-10-16 Member: 62652Members
    I have to say that all my previous complaints have been rectified up to this recent patch. I hope you can keep pushing the frames per second performance as you have been. I've finally had a full game where I can see where I'm going without it being too choppy, and actually making kills.
    Keep it up, and I'll recommend it to everyone I see/know/can.

Stats - Gtx260+ ~800MB RAM, WinXP ~3.5GB RAM, 1.86Ghz Duo Core
    Runs in Low Gfx Settings at 1024x768 Fullscreen = Average fps:
    Combat = 25 (+/- 5)
    Idle = 40 (+/- 5)
    Running through corridors with lighting effects (flashlight on/off, flickering lights) = 30 (+/- 5)
    Combat in a dark room, with around 20 lights (r_stats) = 25 (+/- 5)
    Comm chair idle/moving, no combat = 20 (+/- 5)
    Comm chair combat = 15 (+/- 5)

If everything stays above 30, and stable (not too choppy or frames lost / chokes) = happy

Come a long way, I recall all these figures were minus 10 to 15 frames per second to the ones I've listed above.
    IndieDB winner for a reason, these guys work hard!
  • eisigereisiger Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75159Members
    edited January 2011
    I have no idea how to help you, but I love your accented writing--brilliance to my eyes.

One conclusion I can come to is that a server can make the entire difference. Some servers ran near perfectly, but only had about 8 players. Other times, 12 and over, it was a complete fecal hurricane. This also includes massive hydra spams and drones/macs everywhere. The sluggish movement, the greater occasion of having looping sounds, flames appearing out of nowhere. A complete mess.

Most of NS2HD's videos are done locally or on servers with at most 8 reasonable people playing a clan match.
  • AaronElAaronEl Join Date: 2009-11-01 Member: 69214Members
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1828262:date=Jan 29 2011, 12:23 AM:name=ForlornHope)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ForlornHope @ Jan 29 2011, 12:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1828262"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe you shouldn't play the game again until it is ready for release then.

This is a chance to sample what is to come, nothing more. If you are not giving some proper bug feedback, quit your bellyaching. You are not helping.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Quoted for truth. Seriously I'm getting sick of reading the same stuff again and again, it's not like the dev team doesn't have a list of what to fix. I play the beta regularly and don't post so much because there's no sense in making posts like "grats" (seriously I saw that one) or "GAME is ###### unknown worlds FIX IT"

EDIT: It's a waste of YOUR time to waste other people's time, it's not like they care about insignificant posts. Keep up the great work UW!
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    personally I prefer to read a list of changes over listening to people in a video talking about stuff im only mildly interested in.
  • ZupE891ZupE891 Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67623Members
    too laggy still.. maybe it cannot be fixed
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I never had NS2 crash on me until Build 162. Now it crashes every 15 min.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Reinstall it or at least verify integrity of game cache. (Steam -> NS2 -> Properties -> Local files)
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1828525:date=Jan 29 2011, 11:51 PM:name=AaronEl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AaronEl @ Jan 29 2011, 11:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1828525"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Quoted for truth. Seriously I'm getting sick of reading the same stuff again and again, it's not like the dev team doesn't have a list of what to fix. I play the beta regularly and don't post so much because there's no sense in making posts like "grats" (seriously I saw that one) or "GAME is ###### unknown worlds FIX IT"

EDIT: It's a waste of YOUR time to waste other people's time, it's not like they care about insignificant posts. Keep up the great work UW!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    While I agree there are many posts that don't really contain anything meaningful, UWE has set themselfs up for this to be honest. Looking at the trailers, and the big announcement the game has moved from alpha to beta implied a significantly more playable game than it is at this point. Added to that is that blasted NS2HD, who seems to be either playing 20 builds ahead of the rest of us, plays on private servers, or is seriously cherry-picking the gameplay he shows. Either way, it pulls the wool over the eyes of potential buyers, who are in their right to expect more based on what they've seen from media-outlets.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I never had NS2 crash on me until Build 162. Now it crashes every 15 min.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You've been lucky up until now, I've been having crashes since the engine-test. While it could be your computer (it certainly isn't in my case), it is most definitely caused by the game itself as well.

I'm pretty optimistic about this game, but the last build really did my head in, making it almost entirely unplayable.

/rant out
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1828580:date=Jan 30 2011, 06:14 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Jan 30 2011, 06:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1828580"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I never had NS2 crash on me until Build 162. Now it crashes every 15 min.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1828615:date=Jan 30 2011, 11:56 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Jan 30 2011, 11:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1828615"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You've been lucky up until now, I've been having crashes since the engine-test. While it could be your computer (it certainly isn't in my case), it is most definitely caused by the game itself as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've had very infrequent crashes during build 158-161 (can't really remember before that), maybe crash once a day or less, but in 162 I am definitely getting more frequent crashes, up to 4 in a decent sized game is not uncommon.

To say it's never crashed before 162 just means you have not played enough, and to say that 162 is no worse is also not true. (in my case).

EDIT: Also, about 1 day into build 162, I deleted game files and re-downloaded as a fix, didn't help.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Well, I've played for 65 hours before 162 and I don't remember it crashing ever. I think that's a pretty decent time playing. Like I said, now it crashes quite frequently. Of course I was also on WinXP during that time, so maybe Win7 is more unstable than XP with NS2 (I've only played 162 in Win7).
  • meetjackmeetjack Join Date: 2011-01-30 Member: 79677Members
    Fantastic video, personally I'd ignore all the negative comments about it, it gave us a really clear look at what you guys get up to, what the focus is on this build and by getting to know you a bit, we're more likely to give you (helpful!) comments.

My first post here, and unfortunately I seem to fit into the 'its to slow on my machine' category. I get the feeling its actually got more to do than the servers and setup and lag issues than needing to buy a new pc, but time will tell. It's a beta so I know what work in progress means. I just hope you guys continue to try and improve the performance, and maybe even make that a priority, as its hard to concentrate on looking at other bugs and gameplay when its fairly unplayable. Not a gripe, simply a comment.

Really like the new concept of the flamethrower as more of a support tool, to cripple and disable, than to obliterate the enemy.

One last question on the performance issue, I read somewhere that after the game was ported to steam, old playtesters noticed the performance being a lot worse. Is this true? Is there an issue with steam and performance?

System specs : Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHZ.
    4 GB RAM,
    Windos Vista 32 bit
    Vid Card : NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

Please tell me if the above stats are just simply too slow to run this game also, cheers.
  • thebeastmodethebeastmode Join Date: 2011-01-23 Member: 78645Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1828764:date=Jan 31 2011, 08:03 AM:name=meetjack)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (meetjack @ Jan 31 2011, 08:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1828764"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->System specs : Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHZ.
    4 GB RAM,
    Windos Vista 32 bit
    Vid Card : NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

Please tell me if the above stats are just simply too slow to run this game also, cheers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I sure hope they are not. I bought this game assuming that my system would be more than able to handle it. I know that the BETA is not optimized right now, but I sure hope they do not raise the system requirements in the end as I bought it based off of the ones they list on the website.
  • obsidobsid Join Date: 2003-09-16 Member: 20909Members
    Got to say Build 162 does feel like a step backward. I do seem to have a lot more crashes and sync issues with the server. Getting things like that "rubber band" effect, esp when trying to climb walls as a skulk. Also probelms walking up stairs now (which can be almost imposible as a marine at time).

My guess is the new colision code isnt working out so well at the moment. Hopefuly its just 1 step back 2 steps forward with the next build.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yes i have this "rubber band" effect constantly. On Patch 160 i almost had the same fluid gameplay as NS2HD and cried tears of joy, but this time it does not work at all. FPS drops and connection issues are constant.

Looking forward to the next patch!
  • Josh86Josh86 Join Date: 2010-12-06 Member: 75513Members
    edited February 2011
    I never had crashing issues until this last build, 162. Initially I had problems with sounds not being played and my game crashing just after joining/creating my own server. I fixed this by resintalling. Separate from this now, however, I find that my game crashes shortly after adding bots into my created server. This had never happened until now. It crashes to an error reporting dialog -- very first time I've seen this.

I'm talking my own LAN server, FYI. Not internet or dedicated.

<b>edit:</b> <i>I ran a LAN game with 5 bots during the weekend. The game didn't crash due to bots this time. After awhile, maybe 30 minutes, the game locked up as I destroyed an alien structure (created earlier as the alien comm). I played yesterday on an online server. Best non-empty I could find had 6 players and I had a ping of around 120-150. Was extremely hard to land hits as an alien -- it seems like you have to be ON TOP of marines to get a hit -- very hard when they are moving around in an already laggy game. When most players left (down to around 3, now) my ping had dropped to about 50. Things started to play a little more smoothly until the game froze again. I'm unable to see the error report dialog that initially appeared and have to terminate the NS2.exe process.</i>
  • mattiemattie belgium Join Date: 2010-08-03 Member: 73439Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1827300:date=Jan 26 2011, 07:03 AM:name=Zeno)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeno @ Jan 26 2011, 07:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827300"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I forgot to mention that the music you used is great. Is there a source for that?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i was wondering the same, where does the music come from? :)
  • tildytildy Join Date: 2009-06-05 Member: 67701Members
    I liked the video.

Suggestion: the music was fine, but I think its volume level was too high relative to people's voices. I would prefer the music to be faint in the background or at least fade out while people are speaking.
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    Came here to complain that the new build is a huge "disappoint". But I see others already have my bases covered. Thank you NS2 community for complaining on behalf of everyone who is disappoint at 162. Extradimensionalsuperbeing bless you. Extradimensionalsuperbeing bless you all!
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
  • NyfNyf Join Date: 2010-02-07 Member: 70468Members
    Just want to say, last night I played 2 full games that almost felt like real games! People were getting kills, people were not teleporting around the map, I felt like everyone could actually do things.
    Its about damn time :)
    Keep it up guys!
  • angeling0725angeling0725 Join Date: 2011-02-05 Member: 80446Members
    You really did a great job guys.