Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 161 Released

12346»

Comments

• SyntaximSyntaxim Join Date: 2011-01-13 Member: 77267Members
    Please fix the rubber banding...thanks...........................please fix the rubber banding....thanks...........................
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    My skulk bites don't seem to connect any more. Might be the server running at 3 ticks per second. Shotguns can still kill me just fine, though.
  • Paul-HewsonPaul-Hewson Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63737Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2011
    Not sure, but the lerk shouldn't be able to fly backward.
    And the spike aren't draining enough energy. They a pretty too much "illimited" until the alien power gauge is empty.

About shotgun killing, there still lag on close combat fast moving. Lots of time i see the skulk killing me at my previous moving position. The same lag apply on the shotgun.
    But it only happens with fast movement on very very close combat.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2011
    I wouldn't mind Lerk not being able to fly backward if they add a few features, like allowing it to aim without changing flight direction, and air strafing.

After tweaking Lerk's flight a little, I found that changing Lerk.kFlapUpImpulse = 2 (currently 4) greatly reduces improves flight smoothness.

I have two other suggestions for the Lerk flight.

Firstly, I would like to see the Lerk to fall down slower when it is in concact with a wall while holding down [jump]. This will allow the Lerk to continue gliding after hitting a wall (which there are plenty to bump into), rather than losing control.

My second suggestions is that the Lerk needs a bit more air control. Right now, it can only glide forward in the direction it is looking at. It would be much better if Left, Right and Back movement keys allow the Lerk to strafe left, right and slow down respectively.

As for the Flamethrower, after looking inside Flamethrower.lua, I noticed this:
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->        if ent ~= player then

local toEnemy = GetNormalizedVector(ent:GetModelOrigin() - barrelPoint)
                local dotProduct = fireDirection:DotProduct(toEnemy)

// Look for enemies in cone in front of us    
                if dotProduct > .8 then

// Do damage to them and catch them on fire
                    ent:TakeDamage(Flamethrower.kDamage, player, self, ent:GetModelOrigin(), toEnemy)<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

If my calculations are correct, the Flamethrower hits targets that are in an approx. 36 x 2 = 72º cone in front of it. Now that appears to be rather big. A 30º cone would be more reasonable, I believe, to give Skulks a better chance against FT wielders.
    There is another factor to consider though, the FT only checks the angle between the attacker and the origin of the target, so lowering the angle might make it difficult to hit large targets (like buildings) correctly.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited January 2011
    Yeah that's exactly right twiliteblue, the biggest problem with flamethrower is not that its damage is high (it really isn't - 50 dps* at weapon0 - 2 ticks per second (under ideal conditions)), it's just that it takes no skill and no aim to do damage to aliens. This is caused by, as you mentioned, the <b>HUGE</b> firing cone, and the very long duration of the full 'magazine' (10 seconds).

*By comparison, the rifle has a maximum (ideal) weapon0 dps of 180 (18 bullets per second), but its firing cone is 3 degrees (along the radius from the centre) and its damage is dependent upon single projectiles hitting, rather than the full "search light" cone in front of it, plus the full magazine (ideally) only lasts 2.775 seconds.

also, twiliteblue: what did you use to calculate the angle?
    Edit: oh right, inverse cosine. arccos(0.8)=36.87deg; since it takes the first vector as the "fire direction", then the angle created is from that centre. doesn't the magnitude of the vectors also determine the dot product though?
    Hmm, toEnemy is a unit vector, but not sure about fireDirection, but if you assume that it's also a unit vector then everything checks out.

<!--quoteo(post=1824479:date=Jan 15 2011, 09:40 AM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Jan 15 2011, 09:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824479"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is another factor to consider though, the FT only checks the angle between the attacker and the origin of the target, so lowering the angle might make it difficult to hit large targets (like buildings) correctly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I feel that this isn't much of an issue, because:
    1) <b>Until</b> it gets fixed, players <u>will adapt</u>, and aim at the base of buildings (which I believe is its origin - not sure about the hive, though).
    2) Later, they can just change the code so that it checks it differently.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2011
    @Harimau:

I'm looking for the type that function Angles(pitch, yaw, roll) returns...

Edit: I was refering to <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->Flamethrower, Line 101: local fireDirection = player:GetViewAngles():GetCoords().zAxis<!--c2--></div><!--ec2--> since you were wondering if <b>fireDirection</b> was an unit vector.

I wonder what Coords() is, as I can't find that lua file.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Agreed, rubber-banding is happening a lot, even on a server with low amount of players (8 players was partly rubber-bandy - more than that really bad).

Game itself feels better though :)
    edited January 2011
    Which angle do you mean?

I think the firing cone should only be between 20 degrees (2*10deg: dotproduct 0.985) and 30 degrees (3*15deg: dotproduct 0.966).

Edit: It'd be nice if Decoda had support for searching using wildcards.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    I don't have enough praise for how AMAZING the new alien structure sounds are.
  • BluePhishBluePhish Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24364Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1824577:date=Jan 15 2011, 10:01 AM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Jan 15 2011, 10:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824577"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't have enough praise for how AMAZING the new alien structure sounds are.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Word!
  • simon kamakazisimon kamakazi Join Date: 2009-04-28 Member: 67296Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1824577:date=Jan 15 2011, 12:01 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Jan 15 2011, 12:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824577"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't have enough praise for how AMAZING the new alien structure sounds are.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

:D

thanx

i didnt even realise they were implemented untill i watch ns2hd's video, alot of them are not working exactly as they should yet, and their reverb settings are abit off, next patch they should be mixed in properly and sounding better
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1824586:date=Jan 15 2011, 04:01 AM:name=simon kamakazi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (simon kamakazi @ Jan 15 2011, 04:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824586"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->:D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Dude you be awesome, I'm just waiting for NS2 to get proper 5.1/7.1 format so the sounds will creep me out even more :p
    Congratulations on some exemplary work and making those anticipations years back when I just dreamt how great an overhaul of the game would be like true.
  • Slickk-Slickk- Join Date: 2007-11-26 Member: 63019Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1824596:date=Jan 15 2011, 02:17 PM:name=Triggerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Triggerman @ Jan 15 2011, 02:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824596"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Dude you be awesome, I'm just waiting for NS2 to get proper 5.1/7.1 format so the sounds will creep me out even more :p
    Congratulations on some exemplary work and making those anticipations years back when I just dreamt how great an overhaul of the game would be like true.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Omg, i've just got a 7.1 system. I never even considered the possibility of actually hearing a Fade behind me in my own room. Please don't support 7.1 :(
  • SyntaximSyntaxim Join Date: 2011-01-13 Member: 77267Members
    Please fix the rubber banding. Thanks.
  • simon kamakazisimon kamakazi Join Date: 2009-04-28 Member: 67296Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1824596:date=Jan 15 2011, 03:17 PM:name=Triggerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Triggerman @ Jan 15 2011, 03:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824596"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm just waiting for NS2 to get proper 5.1/7.1 format<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

its planned but probbaly not happening soon, its definitly possible with FMOD tho.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1824102:date=Jan 13 2011, 03:35 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Jan 13 2011, 03:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824102"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Return to Castle Wolvenstein flamer seems to have wall collision detection and also is one of the best, if not the best, flamer I've ever seen in games...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVVXKlohRgg&feature=related" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVVXKlohRgg...feature=related</a>

GOtta agree about how good this flamethrower effect was!
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1824778:date=Jan 16 2011, 01:46 PM:name=Dictator93)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dictator93 @ Jan 16 2011, 01:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824778"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVVXKlohRgg&feature=related" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVVXKlohRgg...feature=related</a>

GOtta agree about how good this flamethrower effect was!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you read the highest rated comment on that video:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's pretty cool to see, no wonder people call lag on that thing in online matches. There must be alot of math/processing behind that pattern.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It works fine on a single client machine with Singleplayer mode, all the calculations are being calculated clientside and not distributed anywhere else.
    Were it multiplayer once you got a couple of these burning and the data is being sent to several clients at once, all hell will break loose.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1824577:date=Jan 15 2011, 11:01 AM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Jan 15 2011, 11:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824577"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't have enough praise for how AMAZING the new alien structure sounds are.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh yes I did notice that. Hydras especially make a very nice ambient sound. Very alien sounding but still sort of meshing with the odd sounds of the facility the game is set in.

It really adds to playing gorge when you associate the sound with a safe area. Sound is sadly neglected a lot of times in games, which is a shame because it really adds as much as the visuals do.

<!--quoteo(post=1824778:date=Jan 16 2011, 12:46 PM:name=Dictator93)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dictator93 @ Jan 16 2011, 12:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824778"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVVXKlohRgg&feature=related" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVVXKlohRgg...feature=related</a>

GOtta agree about how good this flamethrower effect was!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That actually looks like it's using a jiggle bone. There's a concertina of tris sticking out the end of the gun and when it fires it seems to just stretch them to form the body of the flamethrower.

Actually a good way of doing it, having a beam of effects as well as sprites does help with making it look good.
  • ZupE891ZupE891 Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67623Members
    still just as laggy.. is it ever going to get better?
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1825035:date=Jan 17 2011, 08:33 PM:name=ZupE891)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZupE891 @ Jan 17 2011, 08:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1825035"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->still just as laggy.. is it ever going to get better?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No.

OF COURSE! what a question. Next patch(if all the changes listed make it in the next patch) should actually help quite a bit, because the lag is caused by server performance problems, and as you can see on the progress page there are quite a few server performance related items. Especially everything that is related to the physics. So don't worry, the next patch or the one after it should help quite a bit.
    It wasn't really a question, more a criticism at the time it's taking, and a show of lack of faith.