NS2 Progress

Comments

• WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    rather than make them cost more, add a carbon cost. that way the comm can make a strategic choice between speed of expansion or teching, and securing an area. it doesn't have to be a large carbon cost, with current res rates 1-2 carbon per sentry would be sufficient to make it an interesting strategic tradeoff.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1819782:date=Dec 28 2010, 11:44 AM:name=Avalon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Avalon @ Dec 28 2010, 11:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819782"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't really feel that's true, though. Aside from the game not launching, technical issues are not preventing us or slowing us down from detecting bugs. If there's a hole in the wall, whether or not you are stuttering, you're going to see it. If skulks are walking through players and you're down at 10fps, you'll still see him jitter through you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

well actually, hardly anyone is playing the game for more than a couple of rounds to see what each new patch did. If the game was smoother and the base combat (biting and shooting) was more or less spot on, a lot more people would play it.
  • AvalonAvalon Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60224Members
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1821023:date=Jan 3 2011, 02:27 AM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Jan 3 2011, 02:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1821023"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->well actually, hardly anyone is playing the game for more than a couple of rounds to see what each new patch did. If the game was smoother and the base combat (biting and shooting) was more or less spot on, a lot more people would play it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That still isn't preventing people from hunting for bugs. In your scenario they are now just choosing not to because it's inconvenient for them.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1821026:date=Jan 3 2011, 09:56 AM:name=Avalon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Avalon @ Jan 3 2011, 09:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1821026"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That still isn't preventing people from hunting for bugs. In your scenario they are now just choosing not to because it's inconvenient for them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Obviously. If common or game-breaking bugs, glitchiness, incompleteness and lag denote your playing experience, who's going to want to play long enough to find more uncommon or lesser bugs other than the developers and internal playtesters? How can you expect them to, unless you're a blinded loyalist? It's enough that they play for a little bit after a patch, and report the bugs they encounter. Once those bugs are gone with the next build, the bugs that remained will then come to the surface. Repeat this process, as many times as it takes, until no bugs remain. Patches should be smaller and more frequent, in order to keep people coming, and to keep bugs being found.
    It bothers me, though, that several somewhat uncommon but still game-breaking bugs have not even had the decency of acknowledgement from the developers. It would be good enough if they'd be able to flag a Getsatisfaction post with "We acknowledge that this is a problem. We are working on it. / We will work on it.", then I and others would have peace of mind, at least as far as knowing that the developers have actually seen the post.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    edited January 2011
    I dont mind playing the BETA with the current lag but I dont know where to put this so here goes

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:6--><span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->PLEASE NERF THE FLAMETHROWER!<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

I mean am trying to have some fun but then once we started to get res to actully do stuff the hole marine team gets it and kill everything, hell they dont even aim they just walk by and things starts dying.
  • tyrael64tyrael64 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70551Members
    nerf flamethrower or put onos xD
    <!--quoteo(post=1821108:date=Jan 3 2011, 04:14 PM:name=rammaj)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rammaj @ Jan 3 2011, 04:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1821108"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dont mind playing the BETA with the current lag but I dont know where to put this so here goes

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:6--><span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->PLEASE NERF THE FLAMETHROWER!<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

I mean am trying to have some fun but then once we started to get res to actully do stuff the hole marine team gets it and kill everything, hell they dont even aim they just walk by and things starts dying.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Learn to harass.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    or learn to use the lerk. perfect counter to flamethrowers
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2011
    flamethrower flame should be faint blue with heat-distortion, and whatever it sets on fire can be regular flames
    otherwise onos will be blinded as well

edit: typo
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    lerk cant do s**t if there are 5 marines running inside a room together and they all have flamethrowers, ive tried it and it didnt work out that well.
  • RUben1RUben1 Join Date: 2010-11-24 Member: 75246Members
    edited January 2011
    The problem is that the flamethrower fires through every solid object, instead of the fire being collided. If that is fixed, I think it would nerf the flamethrower dramatically.

edit: Have UWE continued their work after the holidays yet?
    i'm pretty sure they will on the "american monday" which basically means waiting for tuesday for europeans
  • XuXuXuXu Join Date: 2011-01-01 Member: 76096Members, Reinforced - Silver
    36fh1uNAM22 - Secret Code! :)
  • Deagle2Deagle2 Join Date: 2010-11-30 Member: 75360Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1821272:date=Jan 3 2011, 11:49 PM:name=XuXu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (XuXu @ Jan 3 2011, 11:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1821272"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->36fh1uNAM22 - Secret Code! :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Or bug =O
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2011
    This is the 4th or 5th time this has cropped up in the last several months. It really makes me wonder if it's actually means something. Although, it's probably just some bug in Pivotal Tracker.
    <!--quoteo(post=1821193:date=Jan 4 2011, 12:50 AM:name=rammaj)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rammaj @ Jan 4 2011, 12:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1821193"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->lerk cant do s**t if there are 5 marines running inside a room together and they all have flamethrowers, ive tried it and it didnt work out that well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Until you let marines have a fighting chance against fades before they get flamethrowers, there's no point giving aliens a fighting chance against flamethrowers. Alien victory is dependent on whether you <b>prevent</b> marines from GETTING flamethrowers. <u>It's an arms race.</u> If you don't... Tough luck. That's your own failure in strategy.
    Your best bet once marines get flamethrowers is the ready room, I'm sorry to say. Or you can drag it out for 20 minutes. Up to you.
    <b>That's just how broken the game is right now.</b>
  • MOOtantMOOtant Join Date: 2010-06-25 Member: 72158Members
    edited January 2011
    Flamethrower causes FPS problems so direct attack at marine base is quite difficult.

But I found a way to deal with huge amounts of marines attacking your hive. I know it works on rockdown because of map's design - there are small walls around each hive. Place 3-4 Mature Crags on them and hive won't go down. If marine wants to kill crag he has to aim quite high and that makes him vulnerable. If your whole team is using fades then there's higher chance that game will end with server crash or marines leaving rather than you losing hives.

Having each hive as colony and spamming flaring drifters helps too. All melee and armor upgrades are required to even dream about surviving flamer attack.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Any updates on the horizon?
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    I am most excited about hotkeys and skulk leap prediction, I'm sure they kill comm and skulk experience for some players (myself included).
  • ZupE891ZupE891 Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67623Members
    fix lag issues.. i bought this game for some people and they dont even play it because they say it lags too much.

the game is technically playable.. but not really.. still too much lag..

i really do not care for any update rather then an update that decreases lag
  • syprosypro Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69195Members
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1821542:date=Jan 5 2011, 12:17 AM:name=ZupE891)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZupE891 @ Jan 5 2011, 12:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1821542"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->fix lag issues.. i bought this game for some people and they dont even play it because they say it lags too much.

the game is technically playable.. but not really.. still too much lag..

i really do not care for any update rather then an update that decreases lag<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You are not supposed to play the game as if it would be live because it isn't live even though you could. This is a Beta disguised as Alpha, we all know that. Max obviously knows about the server instability as it is the biggest problem still present, no point whining about it. Fixing things is not as easy as saying "fix lag issues..".
  • ZupE891ZupE891 Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67623Members
    there are no lag related things being fixed in the ns2 progress page...
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Everything in the Technical list is related to lag.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1821552:date=Jan 4 2011, 11:42 PM:name=ZupE891)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZupE891 @ Jan 4 2011, 11:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1821552"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->there are no lag related things being fixed in the ns2 progress page...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1821555:date=Jan 4 2011, 11:45 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Jan 4 2011, 11:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1821555"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Everything in the Technical list is related to lag.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yup, Align is correct. At the moment pretty much all of the technical tasks are related to lag, as they are focused on server performance optimization. Some of them, like specifically "optimize server physics performance" are actually really big tasks that can potentially have a dramatic impact on the lag.

--Cory
    ...expectaaationss ;)
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Oh; need to fix the bug where you can't press the chat key when you're dead (and not respawning) its awful :P
  • AvalonAvalon Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60224Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1821587:date=Jan 5 2011, 03:30 AM:name=Plasma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Plasma @ Jan 5 2011, 03:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1821587"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh; need to fix the bug where you can't press the chat key when you're dead (and not respawning) its awful :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I didn't even realize I experienced that until I read your post, lol. Yeah, mild annoyance, no rush on it, though.
    i could whine about it in chat all of those three times i didn't respawn
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Add support for joining a game through the Steam UI - Delivered<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Nice! Ty Max/Karl!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    uhh... anyone else notice how "profile and optimize OnProcessMove" technical task has been removed from the list?? that was THE ONE bug i was looking forward to being fixed. was it not a bug? was it the LUA garbage collector that was the stutter culprit??