NS2 Progress

Comments

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2010
    Actually I like this idea.

Players can buy their own weapons for whenever.

But when the Commander wants someone to clear a place out with a flamethrower he could just drop one with team resources instead of the commander telling the marine what to spend with his money.

That being said, the personal resource intake needs to be a lot slower or have guns more expensive to make this have any impact on gameplay.
  • tk-421tk-421 Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58315Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sentry orientation ala CoH<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Very cool! CoH has a great implementation of firing arcs/radius for machine guns.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2010
    If this is just the comm being able to spend team resources to equip poor marines, then that's fine, but if anything I think it makes more sense to just allow him to give them plasma or convert it from carbon.
  • aliasWarlordaliasWarlord Join Date: 2010-06-09 Member: 71999Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1812601:date=Dec 2 2010, 10:46 PM:name=aliasWarlord)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aliasWarlord @ Dec 2 2010, 10:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812601"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ouch... the voice "improve server performance when more players are connected" never started and disappeared from the list! :((<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh no... it happened again in this new list for build 158... :(
  • cmc5788cmc5788 Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68959Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1812813:date=Dec 3 2010, 01:50 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Dec 3 2010, 01:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812813"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If this is just the comm being able to spend team resources to equip poor marines, then that's fine, but if anything I think it makes more sense to just allow him to give them plasma or convert it from carbon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or being able to equip frontline marines to meet different challenges without dropping an armory?
  • AvalonAvalon Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60224Members
    Kind of reminds me of Savage. You could morph into a Savage/Chaplain/Siege weapon if you had the money, or the commander could grant you what you needed to be that unit if the team resources were ok.
  • w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1812813:date=Dec 3 2010, 08:50 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Dec 3 2010, 08:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812813"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If this is just the comm being able to spend team resources to equip poor marines, then that's fine, but if anything I think it makes more sense to just allow him to give them plasma or convert it from carbon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, it makes more sense to give them weapons directly as commander. As you may have noticed, most of the changes for NS2 contributed to Singleplayer gameplay. Marines can be on their own all the time, since they got their own "res" and their own weapons. They didnt even need to build. It's basically CS, actually.

Now, with the building changes and combined with this, the game gets more team oriented again. Not to the point of NS1 where nothing works without perfect team play, but I think they're gonna hit the golden middle eventually.

So long story short, really like the planned changes.
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    Update on the lag situation? Is it still a problem with more than 6v6 players?
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited December 2010
    Poor marines should not be given plasma directly. Initially I had liked this idea but then considered that by allowing the comm the ability to buy weapons for the marines instead (as well as let them buy their own) allows the comm somewhat of a role control. As a comm I would be really annoyed to give x res to purchase y and have them use it for z instead. Flayra has already mentioned that it is planned for comms to be able to buy weapons for the marines though so that scenario won't happen :)
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1813083:date=Dec 3 2010, 08:02 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Dec 3 2010, 08:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813083"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Update on the lag situation? Is it still a problem with more than 6v6 players?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yes, but only when hydras and sentries are spammed. if both teams agree to avoid sentries/hydras, then you can have some great games.
  • doomed.marinedoomed.marine Join Date: 2007-09-07 Member: 62196Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    just one thing:
    pls get those servers stable and well performing
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    Assuming Valve time doesn't kick in, we should get a patch today. Although, this one looks more like an "emergency fix".

Looking forward to 159, lot's of good optimization schtuff in there.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Eggs being created in walls -Unstarted
    feature-Have mappers place egg spawns<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wouldn't having mappers place them stop the eggs in walls?
    will this will be another entity or a group?.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I imagine having mappers place them would fix it as well. They probably just need to tweak the radius eggs are hatched in front of the hive. It's good the mappers can choose were to spawn the eggs to give a lot of flexibility (having eggs spawn in special pods, on a platform above the hive, under gratings and crevices etc...)
  • aliasWarlordaliasWarlord Join Date: 2010-06-09 Member: 71999Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1812601:date=Dec 2 2010, 10:46 PM:name=aliasWarlord)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aliasWarlord @ Dec 2 2010, 10:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812601"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ouch... the voice "improve server performance when more players are connected" never started and disappeared from the list! :((<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

YEA! NOW IT IS ON THE LIST! :D
  • EnceladusEnceladus Join Date: 2004-01-18 Member: 25442Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1813519:date=Dec 5 2010, 09:19 AM:name=SN.Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SN.Wolf @ Dec 5 2010, 09:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813519"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wouldn't having mappers place them stop the eggs in walls?
    will this will be another entity or a group?.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I guess that even if you give mappers the ability to place eggs, you still need a function to check for structures, since you could build structures on that egg spawn slot, and if that's the case, that spawn point shouldn't be used
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't like the idea of mappers placing egg spawns. Some person who knows every spawn position will easily be able to take out any evolving aliens.
  • SorelSorel Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68498Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1813795:date=Dec 6 2010, 02:56 AM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Dec 6 2010, 02:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813795"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't like the idea of mappers placing egg spawns. Some person who knows every spawn position will easily be able to take out any evolving aliens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Is it really that much of an advantage though? I feel like if a Marine is that close to the hive and he is living long enough to take out the eggs, then people spawning there are boned anyway.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I assume the mapper placed spawns are to kill the wall-spawning bug. I imagine with enough spawns placed, it will be just as hard to tell evolving aliens from new eggs.

In other news, I am so excited for 159, there's a lot of really cool entries on the tracker for it!
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    pivotal is broken?
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    I can't see it either....all weird code and stuff
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    Seems like some database is down @ progress-page.
    we shall see on the mapper/egg issue. I don't think set spawns with benefit the enemy as there are 16 set spawn points that can be used with a 5(?) egg at a time rotation .

The marines always come from the same place so i would say spawn wise the marines are at the disadvantage but, if you factor in the balance random spawns are better against ranged weapons. Since the alien is primarily low damage range and close combat attack it evens out. If anything eggs should have more armor or a faster recovery rate as marine should have at the very least .5-1.0 second spawn protection.

I have a specific area in my level that has semi-transparent texture (grate) with stuff behind it (think box) and 2 out of 10 re-spawns put you inside it doomed to type "kill" in console. I could change this to be more shallow but it would lose it's visual effect.
    Well, you could just make an entitybox that stretches over the area where eggs can spawn, then just link the entity to a tech point.
    That way you can choose which areas are okay for spawning, but the actual eggs popup at random positions in the box.
  • AvalonAvalon Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60224Members
    Anyone notice the portable generator being added as a feature under gameplay? I wonder if that's to compensate for lack of turret factory. Interesting, but I hope it doesn't make MAC power node repairs obsolete as a strategy.
    <!--quoteo(post=1814015:date=Dec 7 2010, 02:22 AM:name=Avalon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Avalon @ Dec 7 2010, 02:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1814015"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyone notice the portable generator being added as a feature under gameplay? I wonder if that's to compensate for lack of turret factory. Interesting, but I hope it doesn't make MAC power node repairs obsolete as a strategy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, i think PPG's will be better to use when attacking a hive, rather than ninjarushing a powernode with a MAC-train.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1813973:date=Dec 6 2010, 09:53 PM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ Dec 6 2010, 09:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813973"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, you could just make an entitybox that stretches over the area where eggs can spawn, then just link the entity to a tech point.
    That way you can choose which areas are okay for spawning, but the actual eggs popup at random positions in the box.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I was thinking just this. Maybe that's what the progress tracker means?
    That would work for a majority of the issues but, If you create a pillar with geometry and it is near the hive wouldn't the eggs still get stuck in those spaces.
    I really don't want to be restricted on creating unique geometry near hives. I think the actual egg spawn locations placed by the mapper is a better solution provided it uses more than five spawn positions and rotates at random each new egg. I did notice the eggs regrow in or near the location where someone spawns from so in a since they are in the same location most of the time. After typing kill several times i noted that i spawned from the same location eight out of ten times, this may be different with more hives and players.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    <b>Add Hive L2/L3 mist effects - Accepted</b>

:D
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm going to assume that a hive mass and hive colony will get a mist to differentiate from each other and just the regular hive (in terms of what L2/L3 mean...Level 2, Level 3?) Maybe differnt coloured mist?