Donating - I would like to

Comments

• TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1807450:date=Nov 20 2010, 01:55 PM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ Nov 20 2010, 01:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807450"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->and you can't buy one why exactly?

I bought 2 to support them, not sure whom i'm giving them too, probably as christmas gifts.

But i would love some kind of SE like donation where we can get something cool like black armor :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, im a student and right now all my money either go to bills or food.
    Buying this game means i gotta skip food for 2 days. :(
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1807675:date=Nov 21 2010, 12:09 AM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ Nov 21 2010, 12:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807675"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, im a student and right now all my money either go to bills or food.
    Buying this game means i gotta skip food for 2 days. :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    you can survive 2 days with noodles and ketchup
  • dark-nsdark-ns Join Date: 2008-02-24 Member: 63726Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    Seeing as how NS2 is a cheap complete modding & level editing package it could serve as a tool for teaching programing and mod making. A tool which is also fun and motivating. So donating a bunch of copies to a local school could be a cool idea. Granted they have the PC to run NS2. You could be inspiring future Computer Scientist and Engineers.

I think buying extra copies for friend is on of the best options atm. It not only gives UWE money but it also gives them sales stats. Also I disagree with it being a bad idea to buy otherd a game because the MAY hate it. At least you get money to UWE and got someone else to try it. Also you know your friends so you can be selective about this.

Make an agreement with your friends like if they like it then they should pay it forward buy the game for someone else.

My general idea here is that rather than just giving UWE money straight up. Try to do it in way that also give NS2 more exposition and popularity. They key to the success of the game is to establish a strong player base and increase the fanbase for NS2 and for UWE in general. Putting them in a better strategic position once NS2 is up a running.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    As much as I would love to help out, I don't think that companies can receive donations without some really sticky tax hoobajoob. Now if investment were an option I would definitely put in for a few shares of UWE :D
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Donations? What donations? Oh you mean that awesome paypal account over there? That's.... for personal gifts!
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    No reason to "donate" when you could just pre-order copies for friends... unless you don't have any friends...
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1807734:date=Nov 20 2010, 05:01 PM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteZero @ Nov 20 2010, 05:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807734"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->unless you don't have any friends...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or nearly all my friends have copies already.

Time to make new ones?
  • Cam1Cam1 Join Date: 2004-08-31 Member: 31059Members
    edited November 2010
    34 USD is a lot to some people even with the current exchange rate some where for 10-20$ (sorry it so small but I'm not that rich) would be great and just dumping into a pay pal account is lame getting a nice thank you message back is awesome
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1807738:date=Nov 20 2010, 08:08 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Nov 20 2010, 08:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807738"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or nearly all my friends have copies already.

Time to make new ones?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Start a raffle on another forum you frequent. Great way to promote the game.
  • jamieshepherdjamieshepherd Join Date: 2009-09-04 Member: 68693Members
    I'm hating the people that are saying "just buy another copy of the game" right now. The game costs $34.95, I want to give say $5, not another 35 bucks.
  • JerunkJerunk Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9659Members
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I'd be willing to donate a little bit more, I've got 2 copies of the Special edition already, and I've gotten my friends to buy about 4 Special Edition copies and they haven't even installed the game yet. Send me a PM if this thread gets any worthwhile responses from Flayra and co, I rarely browse the forums since they make me want to spoon my own eyes out.

edit: Also everyone should be <b>registering</b> and voting at <a href="http://www.indiedb.com/games/natural-selection-2" target="_blank">http://www.indiedb.com/games/natural-selection-2</a> to get some added publicity / possible money for the dev team. Make sure you register to vote otherwise your unregistered vote will only count if there is a tie(from what I've heard).
  • Andrew_e1Andrew_e1 Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33331Members, Constellation
    Those of you asking for something in return, even if its as little as getting your name in a special thanks section in the credits.... don't do it.
    Donation means you are giving out something to help and expect nothing in return.

There is no need for extra systems, there are plenty ways to help already...

Start buying extra copies and just give them away...or donate to the constellation system even if you already have it. If you have a lot of money to donate then just keep buying copies... Either way, the money is getting to them.
  • firebladefireblade Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75032Members
    well i have a friend of mine who would love ns2 and if you guys feel like 'donating' and there is no way to 'donate' you could just buy my friend the game if you want to. PM me and ill give you the details in a reply
  • ctoon6ctoon6 Join Date: 2007-06-15 Member: 61256Members
    I don't think a profitable business is able to accept money for nothing, they would have to put you on a publicly available list or something. If worst comes to worst, they can always offer to sell black armor for like 30$ and id buy because i did not have 40$ at the time.
  • ViolenceViolence Join Date: 2004-10-10 Member: 32199Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1807915:date=Nov 21 2010, 03:17 AM:name=ctoon6)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ctoon6 @ Nov 21 2010, 03:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807915"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think a profitable business is able to accept money for nothing, they would have to put you on a publicly available list or something. If worst comes to worst, they can always offer to sell black armor for like 30$ and id buy because i did not have 40$ at the time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, I'm sure there is some hoop they'd have to jump through if they receive any money at all. I'd like to see Constellation come back, but I figure it's not likely..
  • EldonEldon Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72414Members, Constellation
    Yeah - all I need is for them to say "No NS2 constellation or if we do it it'll carry across" and I'll instantly go NS1 constellation.

But until I get a reply, that's not happening. Which is the point of this thread, to figure out the best option.
  • weeschweeweeschwee Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75031Members
    i've seen other people donating games to friends, families, and whoever else. i have a brother and a soon to be sister in law that i would like to pursuade into buying the game, but they are saving up for their wedding. i just bought my copy yesterday and would buy them the games, but like them i am getting married in less than a year and saving is important. anyway, they are actively involved in a clan that plays a lot of team fortress 2. they are both high ranking admins and i think they would love ns2. if anyone needs a reason to donate more money to uwe in the form of another game while also widening the ns2 audience i'm sure my brother and his fiance would be very appreciative. and they know a ton of people from their clan that they could bring over. not joking, the three of us bought left 4 dead 2 and the next day half of their clan did too :) sorry if you guys consider this spam. i just love and respect what uwe is doing and i want them to succeed and of course i want to share their work with my family and friends.
    <!--quoteo(post=1807894:date=Nov 21 2010, 01:17 AM:name=Andrew_e1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Andrew_e1 @ Nov 21 2010, 01:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807894"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Those of you asking for something in return, even if its as little as getting your name in a special thanks section in the credits.... don't do it.
    Donation means you are giving out something to help and expect nothing in return.

There is no need for extra systems, there are plenty ways to help already...

Start buying extra copies and just give them away...or donate to the constellation system even if you already have it. If you have a lot of money to donate then just keep buying copies... Either way, the money is getting to them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

the credits thing was just a funny far fetch idea it was never serious
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Hey everyone. We really appreciate the enthusiasm you guys have, and the desire to further support us through some kind of donation system.

We are giving it some thought, and mulling over some ideas, but at the moment, the best way to support us really is to buy more copies of the game. Setting up a constellation type program for NS2, a payment system, tracking all the donations, and hooking the icons to show up in game for people who have donated is a fair amount of work, and, as you can tell, we've got our hands full at the moment with getting the game to a more playable state.

So, that isn't a no, its just that, until we have the time and have figured out a good way to go about handling another donation system, we'd appreciate it if those who want to help out and can afford it, could just buy additional copies of the game, and spread the NS2 love.

Thanks!

--Cory
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1807956:date=Nov 21 2010, 04:41 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Nov 21 2010, 04:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807956"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey everyone. We really appreciate the enthusiasm you guys have, and the desire to further support us through some kind of donation system.

We are giving it some thought, and mulling over some ideas, but at the moment, the best way to support us really is to buy more copies of the game. Setting up a constellation type program for NS2, a payment system, tracking all the donations, and hooking the icons to show up in game for people who have donated is a fair amount of work, and, as you can tell, we've got our hands full at the moment with getting the game to a more playable state.

So, that isn't a no, its just that, until we have the time and have figured out a good way to go about handling another donation system, we'd appreciate it if those who want to help out and can afford it, could just buy additional copies of the game, and spread the NS2 love.

Thanks!

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you could just accept payments record names and give a receit and you can do what you did with the black armor a dlc code we can enter later when you guys put it in

though you did say you had your hands full so i guess my comment is null

though could also create a new paypal account add a link people donate and when ready go threw the list of donations and mass email them things bah ill just go buy another game
  • FluffyMFluffyM Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75064Members
    Just talking about it on other forums and linking some vids always works for me as well if you wanna help out. Just make sure not to spam and be polite.
    I can already claim responsibility for 2.5 purchases, more on the way hopefully. :3
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1807961:date=Nov 21 2010, 04:49 AM:name=Cam1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cam1 @ Nov 21 2010, 04:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807961"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you could just accept payments record names and give a receit [sic] and you can do what you did with the black armor a dlc code we can enter later when you guys put it in<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That would still involve settings up a system/time investment they aren't able to make right now.
  • PistachioPistachio Join Date: 2005-05-26 Member: 52481Members
    It would be interesting to have a "charity" set up by the community where donations would go towards the purchase of the game for people who can't afford it. There's been quite a few posts from members claiming they don't have the funds to secure a copy on their own.

Though I have no idea how this would work, or what kind of accountability would be involved to ensure these games were going to actual players, and not the same people over again, etc. Just a thought really.
  • oskurooskuro Join Date: 2003-02-07 Member: 13232Members
    Well, i think everyone can pay 35$.

If you have a computer that can run this game, im sure you have 35$ for buying a copy.

Instead of wasting that money in hmmm i dont know, beers, cigarettes, or a game for xbox 360, ps3..... im sure everyone can save that amount and buy this wonderful game.

Just my opinion...
  • BAshhBAshh Join Date: 2003-08-26 Member: 20222Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    I'll consider buying another game or two, but definitely /signing for an alternate donation method. Even one without any sort of reputation or "cred" is fine for me, I know if and when I own a games studio I'd hope my community would help me out, and I'd like to embrace NS2 in the same way I'd hope for people with me.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    yeah, what about a donation now, like buying a copy of the game and you get a key, like the black armor key.
    You can't use it yet, but with the promise that one day you can. Even if we don't know what it is yet.
    A yellow marine, kharaa skin, simple icon besides the name, who cares. It does not even have to be finished at launch time.
    Then when it is implemented we can activate the key on steam, and everybody is happy. That is probably pretty easy to setup and gives you the opportunity to bring in more money now.

I bought by 2 additional copies by the way ;) but paying for a little const icon or even another kharaa/marine skin (female marine???) would be nice :)
  • BAshhBAshh Join Date: 2003-08-26 Member: 20222Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    I actually meant no sort of acknowledgement is fine for me. I don't donate for the props, I donate because it's helpful.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I also would like a way to donate and have no need of recognition. I may, as you suggested, buy more copies through steam and gift them (Christmas anyone? lol), but i worry about my FPS or RTS gamer friends getting this game and getting turned off by the beta. I personally love the beta and even though it has a lot of bugs i enjoy playing. Some of the gripes i see on other sites make me sick... Especially the one about it being too much... They should be thankful it isnt $70-$80 like every other sequel out. But anyway, i guess the money in the end still goes to you whether or not my friends play the free game. Keep up the good work.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1808154:date=Nov 21 2010, 07:57 PM:name=RisingSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RisingSun @ Nov 21 2010, 07:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808154"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I also would like a way to donate and have no need of recognition. I may, as you suggested, buy more copies through steam and gift them (Christmas anyone? lol), but i worry about my FPS or RTS gamer friends getting this game and getting turned off by the beta.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you wait until Christmas to give out the copies that you bought, the game will be in much better shape then it is now, so hopefully when your friends jump in their playing experience would be much better then your own initial experience. At the rate we are moving there's a lot of fixes and additions we'll have done by xmas time.

--Cory