Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 closed beta released...and how we got here

Comments

• LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Some kind of constellation/donation feature would be nice. I donated to NS1 and would do it again even with already having the SE. I hardly ever donate to anything but this is one of those few causes where I really wouldn't mind if anything I kind of want to.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited November 2010
    There's always money in the Banana Stand.

Can you still join Constellation? Maybe there are a few who never donated and would like to.

..Arr, Lazer beat me to it :p
  • persoperso Join Date: 2003-02-19 Member: 13740Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Awesome job UWE. Now the online performace is so much better for me than the previous build!
    Now that I can play the game I'm actually surprised how much gameplay elements has already been put into the game.
  • PekermanPekerman Join Date: 2010-03-07 Member: 70876Members
    i can open ns2 that means im in?
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    Donations

+1

Maybe a black boned fade to mach his/her black heart? Or better yet, gorge plushies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (what?, my wife wants one.....lmao)
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    wah, for whatever reason i just preordered 2 times ns2, and i already have the SE! hehe, great work guys!

Take a few days of, you deserve it! we don't want you to have a burnout :)

But seriously, consider reopening constelation or something like black armor, perhaps the female model? of course DON'T sell the black armor again, that would be unfair, but if you would sell some other, non gameplay changing stuff, i'm sure it would be a success.

I mean, for a game like ns, many people would donate, but if they get something, even small, in return, then thats really cool
  • Lemming JesusLemming Jesus Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71385Members
    If you're that in need of money it might be time to give up the indie fad and secure some funding. Valve's taken little guys under their wing before, don't let the game be a rushed mess.
  • qwiggaloqwiggalo Join Date: 2005-02-26 Member: 42564Members, Constellation
    What do you guys want for Christmas?
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited November 2010
    great :) NS2 has reach another milestone.

1 thing thoguh i hope is changed :) the fade shift ability thing. I dont like how the indicator is another fade. Not only does it look poor but it adds load on the client having to render another model. I would prefer some ingame sprite or particle effect similar to the effect as you shift in as opposed to using a complete other fade model :)
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would happily donate some money towards you guys, because I understand the work that goes into these things. The stress of it turns something enjoyable into a deadline and you have to literally tug your mouse round the desk to work 140%.

I wouldn't want the love you have for creating the best game you can into 'a job'.
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    +1 for constellation. I'd donate if I could. The Steam store is a great idea, but I really hope UWE waits until the game is more playable to try and get it in the store.

Anywho the new fade is awesome (minus his face). I can't wait to mess around with things tonight.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    Good post. Confirmed everyones suspicion. May their never be another post that tries to define "Alpha" and "Beta" xD

I found this sentence a little unsettling though:

"Having a deadline set in stone (today) made us work even harder and fix so many things (<u><b>surprise</b></u>!!!!) right in the nick of time." <-- imagine someone saying this to you in person xD
  • Revi.ukRevi.uk Join Date: 2010-04-12 Member: 71354Members
    Excellent and moving post. We are (believe it or not) all behind you guys at UWE. We've invested our money we've played the beta and we can see that THIS is the game we've been waiting for. No concessions to consoles no concessions to "The game isn't balanced for lean". Many people have said that the PC gaming industry is dying well I just point them towards Unknown worlds and tell them that they shouldn't exist if it is. The indie game developers and you (UWE) are almost single handedly dragging the PC in a new awesome direction.

Please keep up the excellent work you've been doing and I'm sure you can all see the light at the end of the tunnel.
  • KomsomolKomsomol Ireland Join Date: 2009-07-08 Member: 68085Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Heya lads, great work so far.

As for honest feedback, i've noticed no real difference with this beta build. Still largely unplayable due to network issues/lag. I'd focus on that as a priority before spending time on polishing work such as adjusting the flame thrower. Obviously its not as simple as that but thought id throw it out there.

I've been recomending this game to my friends but i cant see them contributing/joining due to the lag issues so far. (kinda hard to test the game when you cant move/connect et cetera)

Eagerly awaiting each and every new build, keep up the good work.

Bit early for a beta release without fixing the basics, my thoughts overall.
  • MojokdirectorMojokdirector Join Date: 2008-02-21 Member: 63705Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1806926:date=Nov 19 2010, 10:44 AM:name=Commie Spy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Commie Spy @ Nov 19 2010, 10:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806926"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOi0q7UdHck" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOi0q7UdHck</a>

and go VOTE!!! more players = more money = better game!

ilu uwe<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1 Vote
  • dnleechdnleech Join Date: 2005-02-02 Member: 39504Members
    +1 for a donation system, rewards or no rewards. I'm completely enthralled with the development of this game and I visit the site several times a day for any tidbits of news that surfaces. I've encouraged a couple of my friends to pre-order and I hope that you guys get an awesome response from the Joystiq article. Frankly, you all deserve it through and through.
  • minimminim Join Date: 2009-05-14 Member: 67408Members
    Good to hear about the progress, less happy to hear that things are tight.

As for people who want to donate and such, I don't believe they can accept "donations" as they are a business and all that, but my knowledge of U.S. law is limited.

I suppose they could sell you a virtual fist bump, a title or an icon for a fixed price however.
  • OnozkiOnozki Join Date: 2005-04-20 Member: 48948Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2010
    I always have been, and always will be pessimistic, and i will almost always see (sadly) the bad side of things and then i burst something stupid out in these forums...but i still support you guys 110%! Keep up the good work, YOU know, that EVERYONE in HERE, is supporting you. I cant wait to get my hands to that beta!

Edit: Ye, errr, when does beta actually go live in steam and be playable? Or is it already? Oo
  • LocaneLocane Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22882Members, Constellation
    +1 vote

Also

If flay needs more of my hard earned money I'd donate another 20. I got the distinct impression that the front post was going to "We're getting investors" land, which I wouldn't be entirely opposed to tbh, Flay seems to have a pretty solid handle on the game and what he wants out of it, and in my mind at least an investor would find it hard to sway him.
  • WraithVergeWraithVerge Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 14009Members
    While I may not be as active on these forums and in this community as much as I would like to be, it still delights me to see the progress you guys make and how much passion you pour into your game even through all the hardships. I support you guys 150% and hope things start to smooth out for you guys in the next few weeks and months. And yes, we'll be gentle like a drill sergeant in our feedback. :P
  • TheGivingTreeTheGivingTree Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12070Members
    Thank you as well! And this update is a massive improvement, it plays much smoother now and I haven't been able to check out all the features yet.. like the fade but I am sure it's awesome.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    Keep up the good work guys. This game reminds me of the PC glory days!
  • StexeStexe Join Date: 2006-12-25 Member: 59227Members, Constellation
    Awesome stuff, but I've found a few issues, especially with the Fade's Blink ability [on a side note, I remember the old NS beta where you'd shoot a gun and teleport where the bullet hit].

If you aim the teleport at a specific spot, you can blink outside of the structure and fall forever into the void of the background.

Besides that, there are still a lot of issues with commander control, especially how builders sometimes don't actually start construction and just stay stuck near the building location.

Keep up the good work! I don't think you guys should have released it as a beta yet, I mean I would have waited for at least all the basic content to get into the game (defense and cloaking structures for aliens, etc). But either way it looks to be shaping up to a great product -- can't wait!
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->+1 for donation<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    And if you cant do it because of some law, I wouldnt mind paying extra to get a ingame LMG model signed by devs or even an artbook I can download from the site.
  • AhnteisAhnteis teh Bob Join Date: 2002-10-02 Member: 1405Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    Here's a donation system: Buy a copy of the game for a friend and give it to them for Christmas/their birthday/etc. ;)
    (More players = longer life for the game, and UW could start selling hats/decals/etc for continued funding.)
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1807018:date=Nov 19 2010, 10:37 PM:name=rammaj)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rammaj @ Nov 19 2010, 10:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807018"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->+1 for donation<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    And if you cant do it because of some law, I wouldnt mind paying extra to get a ingame LMG model signed by devs or even an artbook I can download from the site.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    30€ for a DLC containing black alien armour plate skins :)
    I'd buy
  • fleetcommandfleetcommand Hungary Join Date: 2010-05-20 Member: 71809Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    When I saw on FB that Beta is available, I was heading to Steam instantly :) Can't wait to have more time to play this game. Thank you guys, it's fantastic!
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Should deffo do Constie (with Icon) for helping with MORE donations after buying/pre-ordering the game. Think of it as an extra badge of honor. Maybe even a real-in-game badge on the marine chest.... say $10 per badge, max 5 badges?

Just think it'd be a good way of getting cash and making the community look in awe at the awesome badges.
  • weeschweeweeschwee Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75031Members
    quick question: if i pre-order now do i get into the beta? or is this version of the beta not yet released to the public unless already pre-ordered. thanks!
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1807044:date=Nov 19 2010, 10:31 PM:name=weeschwee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (weeschwee @ Nov 19 2010, 10:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807044"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->quick question: if i pre-order now do i get into the beta? or is this version of the beta not yet released to the public unless already pre-ordered. thanks!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

To quote the /buy page: "Pre-release access on Steam <b>now</b>".
    So yes, you get access to the beta.