Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Alpha Patch Released

Comments

• RothgarRothgar Join Date: 2009-11-13 Member: 69372Members
    Ok our server is now up but I see this in the console:

Failed to load Steam ServiceServiceStart: failed to startCreateBoundSocket: ::bi
    nd returned Win32 error 10049
    CreateBoundSocket: ::bind returned Win32 error 10049
    cminterface.cpp (810) : Assertion Failed: 0 != m_hConnection
    CreateBoundSocket: ::bind returned Win32 error 10049
    Timeout initializing Steam server services.

I have closed Steam before launching the Server.exe ?

Is this normal I see the timeout for Steam server services which I guess would be normal but what about the binding error?
  • bazookabazooka Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47847Members
    Best Dev team ever.

I definitely owed you guys $40 for all the time I spent playing NS, so getting all of this is just a bonus for me. You definitely earned my money, keep up the awsome work. And don't forget important things like sleeping and eating. :)
  • sickboysickboy Join Date: 2003-09-13 Member: 20804Members, Constellation
    Pleasantly surprised at the sheer amount of things fixed/added in the patch... definitely wasn't expecting that much awesomeness this soon!
  • OnozkiOnozki Join Date: 2005-04-20 Member: 48948Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Oh i love that list. So many bugs fixed.
  • savage^savage^ Join Date: 2009-08-26 Member: 68611Members
    Nice job, now we need MOAR FPS!!! :)
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    Great news, can't wait to test the game some more! And kill a few things in the process. ;)
    Hmm downloading on my client now to see if server is listed. But I have tried changing ports as well and the Server.exe is reporting bind issues.

Hopefully it's not broken :(
  • DeadlyKissDeadlyKiss Join Date: 2010-07-29 Member: 73336Members
    I realy hope you guys are working for optimizing the game from the graphic side, cause right now many of the alpha pre orderes like me cannot play the game because of insainly low fps.
  • d3f1anc3d3f1anc3 Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73007Members
    edited July 2010
    Keep up the good work...

edit - As other users have reported:

Attempting Connection > Couldn't Connect or > Auth. Failed. Has happened on about half a dozen servers thus far for me.

edit - Finally managed to connect to LAN games/servers but it's very spotty at best, and the performance is still unplayable.
  • The_RangerThe_Ranger So.Cali Join Date: 2003-01-27 Member: 12800Members, Constellation, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1788982:date=Jul 29 2010, 05:37 PM:name=DeadlyKiss)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DeadlyKiss @ Jul 29 2010, 05:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1788982"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I realy hope you guys are working for optimizing the game from the graphic side, cause right now many of the alpha pre orderes like me cannot play the game because of insainly low fps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"Our priority in this patch was addressing the issues that are preventing people from connecting to servers. The next order of business is addressing any issues running or maintaining dedicated servers along with issues that make the game feel "laggy" or otherwise unplayable."

Reading is cool.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Woot.

Except server.exe can't auth with Steam yet.
  • DestrockDestrock Join Date: 2005-01-14 Member: 35500Members
    oh a patch already ? nice very nice :P
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    Getting better, least I could get in... but the lag and massive loss of FPS meant it was mostly unplayable but I look forward to seeing you fix and sort it out.

May of been an mistake to allow players to play the alpha...majority of the chat while I was on was about how it sucked...idiots dont realise its not a game yet, its in development. I pop in , have a look and leave for now... cant really test much in its current state but I do appreciate the glimpse into how its getting along.
  • qwiggaloqwiggalo Join Date: 2005-02-26 Member: 42564Members, Constellation
    Steam friends is down, might be why nothing is working. Not their fault.
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    I really enjoyed the explanation of parallel changes in different areas of development: networking, engine optimization, game-play. I didn't realize that they could start working on improving game-play despite the other issues right now. This makes me want to contribute more to thinking about what the game needs from our perspective, so the alpha can continue to progress as quickly as possible. Of course BALANCE cannot be addressed yet, but that doesn't mean other features cannot be examined.
  • TquilaTquila Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70738Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->cant really test much in its current state but I do appreciate the glimpse into how its getting along.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Remember what we are doing now is testing :) We managed to test 520mb of issues so far *thumbsup!* The funny thing about bug fixes, is they tend to cause new bugs. With abit of luck it's STEAM causing issues now (though I doubt it) but on the positive side, the game IS actually getting further :)

Edit: indeed juice! Though most of alpha is breaking everything to smithereense and making UWE fix it ^^
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1789001:date=Jul 29 2010, 05:47 PM:name=qwiggalo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (qwiggalo @ Jul 29 2010, 05:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789001"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Steam friends is down, might be why nothing is working. Not their fault.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, Steam servers seem to have died.
  • TunisTunis Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73242Members
    great new :)

thank for the speed of release !!! 520mo :o

but can't play animore to ns2 :/

the server are surely not update so i don't speak of online.

i can't create a lan game because auth faillure :s

see you :)
  • scorpydudescorpydude Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43603Members
    "Yes, the server.exe got updated, too."

Great - so how do dedicated server operators who don't have steam go about getting the updated dedicated server files - since they weren't posted?

---

Also if i try and start my own local game i get authentication error.
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1789015:date=Jul 30 2010, 01:51 AM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Jul 30 2010, 01:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789015"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, Steam servers seem to have died.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am 91 % done downloading pach. For me they seem to work.
    ( UK )
    For those getting binding issues with the new Server.exe there seems to be an issue when using the -ip flag

At least with our server anyway, we have public IP addresses and binding was giving errors.

After deleting the server.xml and starting it with all our previous options without the "-ip" it doesn't throw any binding issues.

Will report on the getsatisfaction now.
  • perfectheatperfectheat Join Date: 2007-06-28 Member: 61405Members
    Nice work UW. May I suggest having a column in the server browser displaying the build that the server is running? Either that or not displaying servers with a different build from yours.

Cheers.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    very impressed with the patch notes. eagerly await the next one that fixes laggy fps!
  • GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
    <i>The next order of business is addressing any issues running or maintaining dedicated servers along with issues that make the game feel "laggy" or otherwise unplayable.</i>

I'm <b>VERY </b>pleased to hear this.
  • BreeceBreece Join Date: 2004-04-07 Member: 27782Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1789035:date=Jul 29 2010, 08:01 PM:name=GeneralBowser)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GeneralBowser @ Jul 29 2010, 08:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789035"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><i>The next order of business is addressing any issues running or maintaining dedicated servers along with issues that make the game feel "laggy" or otherwise unplayable.</i>

I'm <b>VERY </b>pleased to hear this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well I didnt experience that much lag, but improvement is good :D
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1789035:date=Jul 29 2010, 08:01 PM:name=GeneralBowser)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GeneralBowser @ Jul 29 2010, 08:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789035"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><i>The next order of business is addressing any issues running or maintaining dedicated servers along with issues that make the game feel "laggy" or otherwise unplayable.</i>

I'm <b>VERY </b>pleased to hear this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Quoted for agreement, Hard to bug-find when you cant have more than 4 players before it gets unplayable.

Great job with the speed of patching though. Hopefully the next one wont be far off :)
  • TquilaTquila Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70738Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well I didnt experience that much lag, but improvement is good :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Still no telling if it was the Valve server crash that caused it though. Guess this song is very natural to link to, both for the present and future of NS2.

Should take all of our worries away, as it describes the proccess of everything from the beginning which in short is MESS :)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjR2NaCuzF8" target="_blank">Hide & Seek</a>

Edit: Ofcause you have to take the lyrics abit abstract and place them upon NS2 ;)
  • JohnCarterofMarsJohnCarterofMars Join Date: 2002-11-18 Member: 9184Members
    Thank you for all your hard work as well as having the courage to release an alpha to the general public. Most people haven't an inkling of how their gaming software gets to them from the creator's mind to each their computers in a fully functioning software package. KUDOS for all of it UWE. I'll toast you a beer tonight. Keep up the great work!
  • DarkhandDarkhand Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3012Members
  • ThomasRahlThomasRahl Join Date: 2008-11-20 Member: 65514Members
    Wow, I really wasn't expecting a patch so quick and I am impressed. I wanted to address the bit in the news post about us maybe worrying about priorities when we see gameplay and engine fixes coming out at the same time. I personally like the fact that multiple aspects of the game are improving simultaneously. If the game is getting better in all areas we'll have more tools to focus on individual problem areas. Whether it's governed by dev team dynamics or not, I think it's a great way to do this sort of thing.