Development Blog Update - Hydra reveal

1235»

Comments

• TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1776897:date=Jul 4 2010, 03:49 AM:name=WarLover)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WarLover @ Jul 4 2010, 03:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776897"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The video i believe is sped up above normal playing speed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I certainly hope not, I think the hydra fast growth just gives that impression. Aliens moving any slower would be terrific as they are tripled sized compared to the "original".

/edit typo
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
  • ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    Hope you guys get your hands on that effects artist soon so you can have nasty vomit-looking spew coming out of the gorges mouth when he upchucks the hydra.
  • crakinshotcrakinshot Join Date: 2010-07-06 Member: 72271Members
    Looks good. I just hope the switch to an having an alien commander actually works in the games.... and if it seems like people don't like it, then revert back to the NS1 style.
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1777130:date=Jul 6 2010, 08:37 AM:name=crakinshot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (crakinshot @ Jul 6 2010, 08:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777130"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Looks good. I just hope the switch to an having an alien commander actually works in the games.... and if it seems like people don't like it, then revert back to the NS1 style.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For every minor detail and major gameplay mechanic, there will be a minimum of at least ten mods for each. So if something doesn't feel right, and if you really don't like it, the question isn't if there is a mod to change it, but rather: how many other people feel the same way?
  • KwilKwil Join Date: 2003-07-06 Member: 17963Members
    What'd be more interesting than just an "alert" mode, is if they just altered facing.

So normally all three are randomly bobbing and turning back and forth, but if a marine comes into range, they all twist to "face" the marine.

It'd be a more subtle signature, but also a more informative one for the alien team.
  • Tylerm1983Tylerm1983 Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68374Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1776835:date=Jul 3 2010, 11:16 AM:name=Karba)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Karba @ Jul 3 2010, 11:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776835"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Let's see what Structures and characters left to be seen: sentry turret, siege turret, observatory,prototype lab,builder bot, hmg,heavy....defense/movement/sens chambers,fade,.....at 1-2 weeks per structure=sorry no alpha this summer<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This team has been doing a wonderful job on the game development and coming up with some great ideas to make it unique. What still amazes me is the fact that they gave this game a Fall of 2009 release date and 7-8 months later after fall of 2009 ..... its still far from done. Not only that, but still have the Flame Thrower, grenade launcher, How the Marine/Alien commander will play out, there still working on the maps, and much much more than that I am sure of. About 14 months later after the NS2 trailer(fall of 2009), this game is still very far from done. Just take a look at their last twitter update.

Big day! Sending out a VERY rough NS2 test to ~25 testers for early feedback. Not everything works but it's still exciting! Hope they like.

Its good that there slowly sending what they done so far out there to get it tested which shows there close to an Alpha release but in my opinion, there wont be an Alpha release till about Fall .. then again I could be wrong. Not everything works and were almost Mid-July. They may not even reveal every single aspect of the game to us....who knows..

But Kudos to UnknownWorlds to doing a great job on the game so far and making sure everything goes and runs smoothly...I think this will be a great game when its done but dont get your hopes up for a release date this year...
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Finally, the gorge looks like he's properly puking out buildings instead of them appearing out of thin air! :P If I remember correctly, that was always the lore - the gorge threw up stuff and shaped it with its mouth. It'd be nice if he had to squat and hawk it up a bit, though.

I love the new tentacle design for the OC, as well as its alerting function and the wall/ceiling placement. I'd like to know a bit more about how it fires in all directions, though. Does that mean that it can fire at everything simultaneously, or simply that it can shoot in any direction, one target at a time?

However, the big question: How are we supposed to build a wall of lame now?
  • EsquireEsquire Join Date: 2010-07-07 Member: 72284Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1777274:date=Jul 7 2010, 08:04 AM:name=Deadzone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deadzone @ Jul 7 2010, 08:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777274"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->However, the big question: How are we supposed to build a wall of lame now?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This disheartens me. No Gorge Hideout/Red Room?!

On another note, what will the hitbox be on these things? Will hydras be hard to kill with an LMG?
  • naughty_skulkernaughty_skulker Join Date: 2003-08-31 Member: 20411Members
    Looks amazing !

Love it !
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    PLEASE ... UPLOAD IMAGE WITH MORE THAN two of them !!!!!

I would like to see how amaizing will look Wall of lame :D
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    so can the gorge puke an unlimited amount of hydras as long as the resources are available or is there a limit to how many can be alive at a time?

a hallway full of these from floor to ceiling would look pretty intimidating.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    I'd expect that there will be a proximity cap akin to the one for chambers in NS1. In most cases however, I'd expect the cap to be determined by res flow (obviously). How many normal NS1 games have you played with maxed OC spam?
  • StubbsStubbs Join Date: 2005-01-27 Member: 38622Members
    edited July 2010
    I'll be honest... I don't like the alert animation one bit. The model is good, but the movement is far too jerky to be believable.

What I would do is have its spikes retract when there is no threat. Close the petals in slightly, droop the flower head a little and reduce movement to a minimum. When a marine is nearby, the flower opens fully and the spikes extend out - for best effect, somewhat slowly and completely silently. The heads should then wave about and look around, still gently. If it has to move about like crazy, save that for the firing animation. Real life organisms do not waste their energy going nuts unless they absolutely have to.

In gameplay function, it would remain identical. It's still obvious when a marine is nearby to an observer because the spikes will be out and it will be moving. However, this version much better captures a plant or anemone style and is far more believable as an organism.

<!--quoteo(post=1776850:date=Jul 3 2010, 08:28 AM:name=Brute)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brute @ Jul 3 2010, 08:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776850"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I also noticed that the mouth (bitecam) closes completly on a miss, but not on a hit. I really like this, hope it's not just an illusion due to some missing frames.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like this idea, but I think it should be taken further. Bloody a skulk's teeth when he bites marines, and make him occasionally lose or break a few teeth if he starts chewing up structures or heavy armour. This has no gameplay impact, but it would look entirely awesome. It would be somewhat akin to the Demoman's glass bottle in TF2, which eventually breaks but is still identical to the intact bottle.

EDIT: Applying the Skulk idea to the Hydra... Hydras could also lose one head at a time as they are damaged, with severed tentacles falling to the floor and thrashing about in their death throes before falling still. The missing tentacle could then grow back after a period of time, like C&C3 Nod turrets, only far cooler. You'd have to wipe out the whole structure to remove it (maybe have DI recede from it to show it's gone for good).
  • JolianJolian Join Date: 2007-05-23 Member: 60995Members, Constellation
    Wow!

That thing looks awesomely dangerous and evil. A++ on the model. The grow animation is excellent too!

I'm a little turned off by the alert animation - it doesn't seem to be "alert", it seems like it's stretching to reach something. If it was alert, it would be pointed and looking around, trying to get line of sight of a new target, right?
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1777644:date=Jul 10 2010, 04:00 AM:name=Jolian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jolian @ Jul 10 2010, 04:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777644"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm a little turned off by the alert animation - it doesn't seem to be "alert", it seems like it's stretching to reach something. If it was alert, it would be pointed and looking around, trying to get line of sight of a new target, right?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I mentioned this before already, but the alert animation shown in the vid was a very rough work in progress, plus it did not have a looping version, as well.

It has since been totally redone to match what it was supposed to be in the first place, so it works better and looks pretty different from the version in the video.

--Cory
  • zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    eh? what was that? i didn't hear you the first time ;)
  • lame-olame-o Join Date: 2010-04-24 Member: 71517Members
    edited July 2010
    Please don't make the gorge just puke ###### out! I mean I can totally get behind the idea that he vomits out that stuff, but don't make it look/sound like he's just hurling everywhere like some fat kid who just put like 30 nicotine patches on himself.

I think it should kind of remind people of Alien, despite not having any real connection to it. If you know what I mean. Just the raw nature of it. Like fluids pouring out of the gorge's mouth, going down into some kind of birth giving state, his jaw unhinges itself and weird ###### happens and finally some worm-like thing plops out into the goo and starts growing. All in like 3 seconds.
  • Tylerm1983Tylerm1983 Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68374Members
    Wow, where is unknown worlds at with an update? I always look forward to Friday........and disapointed when I dont see an update or some kind of twitter update...
  • WarLoverWarLover Join Date: 2009-11-05 Member: 69276Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1778036:date=Jul 12 2010, 08:48 PM:name=Tylerm1983)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tylerm1983 @ Jul 12 2010, 08:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778036"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow, where is unknown worlds at with an update? I always look forward to Friday........and disapointed when I dont see an update or some kind of twitter update...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There is a rather exciting twitter posted, you should check it out
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1777741:date=Jul 10 2010, 04:56 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jul 10 2010, 04:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777741"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I mentioned this before already, but the alert animation shown in the vid was a very rough work in progress, plus it did not have a looping version, as well.

It has since been totally redone to match what it was supposed to be in the first place, so it works better and looks pretty different from the version in the video.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I hate being negative like a lot of forum members just seem to lay in, but this does not make sense Cory. Why show something that's going to within a week or so be completely re-built? Sounds like a waste of time and effort to put so much effort in to a place holder and show it off only to then drastically revamp. I hope you guys aren't releasing things such as the hydra update just to effectively shut people up, I'd rather see you spend your time more efficiently than as you've said above, I'm pretty sure you'd rather be more efficient where you can also be too.
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    Oh yeh, please change/remove that piggy noise from hurling up a chamber, bit too much, too strong of a sound, I think it should just be a quiet squelch sound on its own so it sounds like the gorge can naturaly do that as apposed to sounding un-natural/forced like a human/animal being sick.
  • Empire state skulkEmpire state skulk Join Date: 2010-02-05 Member: 70437Members
    Wow ns2 keeps on getting better and better, i can't wait until the whole thing comes out, it will be a BIG hit, just waiting until the fade comes out and the other chambers then the whole thing will get a GIGA fan club and i can't wait to play, every day we get close to actually getting the chance to play it
    Nice Work NS2 team :D