Development Blog Update - Friday update - Lerk reveal

Comments

• Cyborg16Cyborg16 Join Date: 2006-11-18 Member: 58656Members
    Sorry to be critical, but.. the lerk just looks too heavy to fly (without a rediculously fast wing-beat). It also reminds me of the imps in TES IV Oblivion! Slim down the belly a bit (rest looks good).

Some kind of free-fall bombing, with a projected balistic impact zone (like flight-sim bombing) would be fun (though unrealistic without large amounts of vertical space)!

And:
    <!--quoteo(post=1755613:date=Feb 26 2010, 11:53 PM:name=Sirot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirot @ Feb 26 2010, 11:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755613"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, Lerks who are flying really fast that collide with a Marine should do a headbutt to deal some damage and knock them back a little. Would make walking cross-walks over abysses a lot more interested.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • haymohaymo Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34040Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1755997:date=Feb 28 2010, 02:52 AM:name=Mr_Charisma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr_Charisma @ Feb 28 2010, 02:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755997"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Conceptually I said I prefer the idea of a ranged lerk over a melee centric one. 3.0 lerk fits in 3.0, and I would much prefer an evolved game instead of NS with better graphics. I agree that a 'twitch-style' lerk like that of the 3.0 version is more fun, but in reality the lerk's strength came from it's support ability and not the 3 minutes that it dominates the battlefield during early game.

Personally, I don't get emotionally invested in my opinion, so I really don't care if you question my credibility (or lack-there-of), certainly not about a game I have stopped playing (but no less enjoyed a lot).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agree!!
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    I'm most likely going to be delving into the Lua scripts to play around with some stuff as and when they become available.

My starting point would probably be experimenting with changing the Lerk to use a charge-up, wide spread, rapid falloff (both in terms of trajectory and damage) 'volley' attack instead of the 'super spike' described (I don't really like the way it sounds, but it could possibly play well). This would make both high-risk, high damage frontal assaults and lower-risk, less accurate 'bombing runs' possible.

If there's a need to make a lot of changes to make competitive play more balanced/viable, I'm sure there is sufficient opportunity to change things up.

---
    Re: Alt-fire for Spore:

A charge-up, visible cloud attack that conceals aliens and alien structures in its area. The longer you charge it, the longer the duration of the cloud when the spore projectile hits a surface or player. [/random idea]

An alternative would be the same mechanic only it slows Marine movement to a crawl instead of cloaking friendlies. Actually I think I already like this second idea better.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2010
    In terms of an ability that actually is an alt-fire of Spores and not just another gas-relatead action stuck in there, I think the idea of a point blank cloud that's more powerful and/or bigger is the best one. It adds some risk/reward to the Lerk gas harassment - in exchange for mastering the evasive flying to get in and out of a bunch of marines, they can harass much more effectively. Maybe make this the only kind of spore that affects HAs.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1756048:date=Feb 28 2010, 04:06 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Feb 28 2010, 04:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756048"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In terms of an ability that actually is an alt-fire of Spores and not just another gas-relatead action stuck in there, I think the idea of a point blank cloud that's more powerful and/or bigger is the best one. It adds some risk/reward to the Lerk gas harassment - in exchange for mastering the evasive flying to get in and out of a bunch of marines, they can harass much more effectively. Maybe make this the only kind of spore that affects HAs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't know about the spore secondary fire itself, but I doubt hurting HAs in particular will have any real effect on gameplay. Being next to a bunch of heavies isn't a place where a lerk could survive regularly if it's anything even remotely similar to NS1.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    edited February 2010
    I'm backing up Fana aswell. In short words, new lerk sounds bad and I'd dare to say I speak 90% of top competitive players, atleast in Europe.

Listen to starcraft guys, they go for the competitive players first, because clanners know the game. That's the same thing in NS.

Basically if your objective is to make lerk less skill-required class (like everything nowdays), add spikes. It simply takes a lot less skill to spore and spike from vents. There'll be no reason to fly out open. I say it again, evading bullets takes skill, and flying alien is an unique part of the game. There's no reason to remove it, unless you want to make the game more boring.

And what's up with this roosting ability? Since when was NS about turrets and turtling? Turtling is a boring tactic, its exactly like siege-maps and if somebody says siege-maps are the pinnacle of NS gameplay, I'm just gonna facepalm.

More reason to do a pro mod, unfortunately.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Alt fire for spores could just be umbra, umbra was a good support ability in NS1.

You could also have it do something like shoot a condensed blob which ties people up, or which spreads the infestation, or which does both depending on where you shoot it.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1756055:date=Feb 28 2010, 10:25 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Feb 28 2010, 10:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756055"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know about the spore secondary fire itself, but I doubt hurting HAs in particular will have any real effect on gameplay. Being next to a bunch of heavies isn't a place where a lerk could survive regularly if it's anything even remotely similar to NS1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Probably not on a regular basis, but they would at least have a way of pitching in with enough team support. In NS they're basically a waste of a slot at that point. I think HAs being totally immune to all Spores is too strong a counter for an FPS/RTS.
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1756057:date=Feb 28 2010, 04:29 PM:name=Jiriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jiriki @ Feb 28 2010, 04:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756057"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm backing up Fana aswell. In short words, new lerk sounds bad and I'd dare to say I speak 90% of top competitive players, atleast in Europe.

Listen to starcraft guys, they go for the competitive players first, because clanners know the game. That's the same thing in NS.

Basically if your objective is to make lerk less skill-required class (like everything nowdays), add spikes. It simply takes a lot less skill to spore and spike from vents. There'll be no reason to fly out open. I say it again, evading bullets takes skill, and flying alien is an unique part of the game. There's no reason to remove it, unless you want to make the game more boring.

And what's up with this roosting ability? Since when was NS about turrets and turtling? Turtling is a boring tactic, its exactly like siege-maps and if somebody says siege-maps are the pinnacle of NS gameplay, I'm just gonna facepalm.

More reason to do a pro mod, unfortunately.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You have actually read that the spikes are CLOSE TO MIDRANGE ?
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1756059:date=Feb 28 2010, 03:35 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Feb 28 2010, 03:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756059"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Probably not on a regular basis, but they would at least have a way of pitching in with enough team support. In NS they're basically a waste of a slot at that point. I think HAs being totally immune to all Spores is too strong a counter for an FPS/RTS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think you need to have the spore on a regular basis to have any effect. Sporing a bit here and there doesn't justify using a slot for lerk in my opinion. Unless you add some new mechanics to spore itself, which makes it a completely different story.

Lerk was still useful with umbra in NS1 vs HAs and more advanced teams would also use light armor and jetpacks to support the HA, leaving some good spore targets. With more individualistic equipment choise I could see lerk having something to spore even with HA researched. It's also good to remember that spikes are there and will probably pack some punch against heavies.
  • DarkFrostDarkFrost Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15154Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    Woah.

There is alot more wrong with the direction the game is going in than the lerk. From the indie game awards video there was atleast 4 things that looked bad (not talking about aesthetics). Along with information that the skulk will be slower and tougher, and the game mode being a linear base to hive fight, doesn't fill people with hope for the retail product.

I understand the reasoning behind these things, however flawed I believe it is.

The best thing I've seen so far was the map that the lerk reveal was set in, and the map in the scene with the terrible marine aim on the award video. I just like the style of those.
  • LazarusLazarus Join Date: 2002-01-28 Member: 122Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1756055:date=Feb 28 2010, 07:25 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Feb 28 2010, 07:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756055"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know about the spore secondary fire itself, but I doubt hurting HAs in particular will have any real effect on gameplay. Being next to a bunch of heavies isn't a place where a lerk could survive regularly if it's anything even remotely similar to NS1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It could be used in a more defensive way, i.e. area denial. A HA-train is going to hesitate before walking down a corridor if it's just been filled with armor corrosive spores.
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    i for one, welcome our old spike overlords.
  • Cheezy104Cheezy104 Join Date: 2009-06-11 Member: 67792Members
    edited February 2010
    We haven't even seen the spikes in action yet, and they are mentioned to be close to midrange. What's the fuss?

A good solution is the mentioned damage-falloff so you'd need to be close range to deal maximum damage.
    If you're saying the new Lerk won't require skill, I honestly think it's gonna take <i>more</i> skill than NS1 Lerk simply because flying around and hitting marines with spikes most likely will be harder than flying around and biting, and we all know you don't need to be a pro to hit a bite. This spike attack also makes the lerk more viable in lategame. Flying out in the open in NS1 when there were a bunch of HG's and Shotguns was simply suicide.
    I do not think camping in vents and sporing all the ###### time is any fun.

This is not NS1.5, this is NS2. Anything is better than flying skulk.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    I think crazies need to calm down and wait for alpha to decide that spikes ruined the game :P
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    spikes won't ruin the game, it was great back when it was in ns1... although back then the flight model was different too. Perhaps the new model will be a little more like the original?
  • FettGorgeFettGorge Join Date: 2010-02-11 Member: 70514Members
  • BiglinesBiglines Join Date: 2003-12-07 Member: 24094Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1756103:date=Feb 28 2010, 08:08 PM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Feb 28 2010, 08:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756103"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think crazies need to calm down and wait for alpha to decide that spikes ruined the game :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I might even suggest they wait till release as the point of alpha/beta is to balance/bugtest... there will be many weapons/skills that will be ruinous for the game.. thats the point of testing it...
  • XuaxinodalXuaxinodal Join Date: 2002-12-19 Member: 11158Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    I liked some of the submissions of others so here is a list of potentials for the Lerk based on the submissions of others and my own ideas:

<b>Spore Pod:</b> A small pod that sticks to whatever surface the Lerk shoots it at. The pod remains dormant until touched, or damaged, and then releases a spore cloud. Lerks could shoot the pod with a spike to trigger it. Pods would die after a few minutes.

<b>Parasite Spores:</b> Think skulk parasite mixed with spores. This would behave like the regular spore cloud causing damage but would also mark marines or structures ala parasite. A bit more energy than regular spore would be used.

<b>Bile Bomb:</b> Classic bile bomb but more "death from above" style. This would be good against structures or eat marine armor. Definitely a higher level ability and would use significantly more energy.

<b>Talon Swipe:</b> A melee ability in which a Lerk could swipe a marine with it's talons mid-air.

<b>Infestation Pod:</b> A medium-sized pod which sticks to whatever surface the Lerk shoots at. Upon impact, a reaction occurs and dynamic infestation spreads forth from the pod covering a small area and stopping. The Lerk would only have one, or two, of these pods and would not be able to get more. Upon dying, any remaining pods would be dropped and activated.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1756103:date=Feb 28 2010, 11:08 AM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Feb 28 2010, 11:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756103"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think crazies need to calm down and wait for alpha to decide that spikes ruined the game :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    no. this is it. i'm canceling my preorder.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    A real simple ALT-fire would be pressing mouse2 which lets the lerk to spray a constant stream of gas with lower area of effect and duration.

This would allow to hold a specific marine in the hazardous zone longer, keeping him from just running out of the normal cloud, while sacrificing the AoE.
  • ehshoehsho Join Date: 2009-11-04 Member: 69264Members
    edited February 2010
    What worries me is the lerk take off. It looks like it switches into a hover mode on lift off rather than free movement.

If that doesn't quite make sense then I mean this new lerk looks like if you hit jump you'll hover there until you tell it to land or move, rather than fall right back down to the ground like a lerk does in NS1( and no I don't mean this as NS2 != NS1 so NOPE ). Was that just something done for a view of the lerk in the video or is that what should be expected from the new lerk?
  • GDWhiteGDWhite Join Date: 2009-07-17 Member: 68170Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1756193:date=Feb 28 2010, 05:51 PM:name=ehsho)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ehsho @ Feb 28 2010, 05:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756193"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Was that just something done for a view of the lerk in the video<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Seeing as he kinda hangs out and screeches and flexes and doesn't have spikes ready until he's ready to attack, it's probably just for looks.
  • CenturionCenturion Join Date: 2005-07-15 Member: 55987Members
    I think some people are criticizing (i don't ###### know how to write this word) too much the game. They just wanted NS2 to be the same thing NS was, but with better graphics. But people have to understand that it can't happen. NS2 will now be a product, not a mod anymore, it has to be sold. In order to be sold, it needs to be more balanced, needs changes to captivate those people who never played the mod before.
    So, wait for at least for the alpha before saying the whole game is getting worst, and that it will suck and every change is bad...

Damn, I'm tired of reading this forum every time UWE posts something. 90% of the posts it's people saying it sucks. So why are you still here if it sucks so much? Your comments won't change many things, they want to sell the game in first place, and in second place make a game for the "veterans". And one more thing, we will be able to change the game the way we want, since it's so easy to work with LUA.

Sorry if anyone don't like my post, but I'm getting really pissed off reading this forum.
  • MortosMortos Join Date: 2006-11-28 Member: 58763Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1756199:date=Mar 1 2010, 02:10 AM:name=Centurion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Centurion @ Mar 1 2010, 02:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756199"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Damn, I'm tired of reading this forum every time UWE posts something. 90% of the posts it's people saying it sucks. So why are you still here if it sucks so much? Your comments won't change many things, they want to sell the game in first place, and in second place make a game for the "veterans". And one more thing, we will be able to change the game the way we want, since it's so easy to work with LUA.

Sorry if anyone don't like my post, but I'm getting really pissed off reading this forum.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

To be fair, 95% of people are talking about how awesome it is, it's just a handful that feel the need to complain that the game is ruined before they play it.

Personally, I don't think the team could ruin this game if they tried. Even in the unlikely scenario that the whiners are right and the game is less fun than it should be, this is one of the most attentive teams to the desires of their players out of any game. If there is something wrong or not fun about the release, they'll fix it, and it'll come out even better than before. And even in the even more unlikely scenario that there is a problem that the team refuses to fix... the whole thing with be customizable with simple lua scripting, so people can fix it themselves to their liking.
  • Fluffykitten ManloveFluffykitten Manlove Join Date: 2010-02-28 Member: 70779Members
    I registered just to say that bringing spikes back is the best thing ever.
  • psikalpsikal Join Date: 2003-01-26 Member: 12756Members
    edited February 2010
    Few comments made so don't know if its already been said; but what about an idea for the Lerk with grabbing a marine instead of biting? Chiss and I got talking about the Lerk yesterday on steam and both came up with pretty much the same idea. The Lerk can roost/grab the roof so why not be able to grab a marine in the same way with its huge legs and do a bit of damage by either picking up - dropping him or maybe scratching him.

Either way, the Lerk is looking pretty awesome and good to see spikes back =] but one thing i have doubt on is not been able to bite (why the idea above).
  • resresresresresres Join Date: 2007-10-16 Member: 62652Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Conceptually I said I prefer the idea of a ranged lerk over a melee centric one. 3.0 lerk fits in 3.0, and I would much prefer an evolved game instead of NS with better graphics. I agree that a 'twitch-style' lerk like that of the 3.0 version is more fun, but in reality the lerk's strength came from it's support ability and not the 3 minutes that it dominates the battlefield during early game.

Personally, I don't get emotionally invested in my opinion, so I really don't care if you question my credibility (or lack-there-of), certainly not about a game I have stopped playing (but no less enjoyed a lot).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

Ok, we're seeing the same things suggested over and over; please read some of the other posts before you suggest something.
    Bad troll, bad!
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    Anyone read the latest interview?!!?!?!?!?!?!? Fade's out of the game, they couldn't include it, exoskelton is confirmed though.

true story.
  • RaptorgRaptorg Join Date: 2009-08-23 Member: 68580Members
    I suppose it would be interesting if the secondary spore fire could eat away heavy armor, and possibly deal extra damage to structures.. While being relatively harmless to low armor enemies.. Of course, at a substantially higher cost than spores.

I suppose that would be closest to the Bile Bomb suggestion.

On the Fade, I find that unlikely to be honest.. The Fade is like the stormtrooper/assault/whatever of the Aliens.. They're more essentially to a well balanced group than the Lerk. And I say that while loving the Lerk.. But I can't imagine a decent fight without Fades ripping ###### to shreds.

But if one of the other aliens can take over this role.. I suppose it would be possible, but from what I've seen so far, that's not possible without changing things too dramatically.