Development Blog Update - Friday update - Lerk reveal

Comments

• NyfNyf Join Date: 2010-02-07 Member: 70468Members
    Looks amazing! My two cents:
    1. Somehow the model looks off balance. I'm not sure how to describe it exactly, but that's that I thought of. In spite of this it looks very well done, can't wait to see it in action!
    2. Spore launcher alt: perhaps a gas-thrower? I know the marines are getting a flamethrower, so perhaps a gas-thrower? By gas I mean the stuff inside of the spore cloud. Perhaps make it do slightly more damage but be less persistent? So, still an area denial attack, but a more directed and more damaging one.

Just some thoughts! Keep up the good work!
  • AaronAaron vroom vroom der party startah Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7020Members
    Spikes are back baby!
    pew pew pew =====
  • ArfaceArface Join Date: 2004-04-13 Member: 27906Members
    wait

where's umbra?
  • 0dy0dy Join Date: 2004-01-31 Member: 25788Members
    looks cool but ive im going to miss the bite. i really liked the ability to fly around and bite the marine. its really awesome to fly at a marine while shooting spikes at him, then to finish it off by doing a fly by bite and taking him out, or badly hurting him. what if you gave the lerk a melee attack while hes flying? like a talon scrape or something. something that would encourage people to hit him with a few spikes while flying and then go in for the flying melee attack. maybe the spikes could be done while in the vent, then the lerk would have 5 seconds to go in and fly/melee to get a little added damage or something.

i really want to fly in and bite/scrape someone!

also, you said you were going to release pre-alpha testing in the order you pre-purchased ns2. how do i know where i am on that list? i just got a serial number/ confirmation code for my purchase.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    Spore suggestions:
    spore cloud that scales up damage based on the time you spend in the cloud

cloud that deals constant damage while inside, but damage scales down (and disappears shortly) when you step out of the cloud

Alt fire spore: temporarily disable structures (small AOE, things like CC would be immune, etc.)
    <!--quoteo(post=1755442:date=Feb 26 2010, 02:17 PM:name=Dalin Seivewright)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dalin Seivewright @ Feb 26 2010, 02:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755442"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've always hated that Marines with Heavy Armor aren't affected by Spore at all. Sure, its probably a sealed environment, but Oxygen tanks have got to run out eventually, meaning the marine would have to refill it, or come out of his suit for air (or if it isn't sealed and he just has a gas mask then...). One could argue that "nanites" obviously purifies the Oxygen so here is a suggestion: Either make Heavy Armored marines take a lot less damage from Spores than un-armored marines, or the Spores have a natural desire to bind with Oxygen. Heavy Armored marines have an Oxygen health meter that doesn't give them limited Oxygen but acts as a health bar for their Oxygen tank. The extremely strong affinity for both the Spore and Oxygen to bind results in extra pressure on the Oxygen tank which does damage over time to the Oxygen tank. When it reaches critical levels, the Oxygen tank bursts (and possibly does damage to the heavy armor?) and the marine is vulnerable to the usual effect of spores once again.

As for the secondary weapon of Spore, is Umbra such a bad decision? If not for Umbraing other players, then for Umbraing the Lerk itself. I've played the Lerk with Spikes, Bite and both Spikes AND Bite, and while the Lerk is probably just a support class, I think it either needs some more offensive abilities that actual pack a punch, or an added defensive ability. Its not that hard to hit a really fast, flying Lerk with any weapon in NS1, especially if you're both in a long corridor. Unless the Spikes do damage that is equal to a Skulks Bite, the only advantage I see of being able to shoot from a distance is that the chances you won't get Knifed are lower. The Lerk needs bullet protection.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

what about the spore ability slowing heavy armored marines. something along the lines of the spores clog and gunk up the armor. it doesn't outright hurt the heavies, but it does slow their move speed a little (dont think id have it affect their attack abilities at all).
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    I really like the deep feeling of NS getting better and better as we see footage coming.

The marines standing there saying: "Roger that" and "Xenoform spotted" is immense.

Alt fire for spore could be a concentrated spore cloud that takes about all the stamina of the lerk to shoot with a longer cooldown too (obviously) but dealing more damage over time, considering that the cloud range is about the same as in NS1.. meaning not too much of a spread to be too strong.
  • PopenatorPopenator Join Date: 2009-08-27 Member: 68617Members
    Fix for Heavy Marine being too powerful: make heavy armor more expensive.

Just saved NS2, and I deserve a reward.
    <!--quoteo(post=1755468:date=Feb 26 2010, 03:03 PM:name=monopolowa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (monopolowa @ Feb 26 2010, 03:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755468"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Spore suggestions:
    spore cloud that scales up damage based on the time you spend in the cloud

cloud that deals constant damage while inside, but damage scales down (and disappears shortly) when you step out of the cloud

Alt fire spore: temporarily disable structures (small AOE, things like CC would be immune, etc.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i like the idea of the structure disable but what would you do if the alien team had 3 lerk's spamming a base with the disable? at best i see the disable working like this:

-lerk has to spray the disable cloud many times before it actually affects the buildings (like 5 times or so, maybe to build up the gunk in the air or something)
    -the cloud would only disable buildings for a few iterations, like if a cloud lasts 2 seconds, it can only disable buildings for 3 iterations of the cloud, or 6 seconds
    -after 6 seconds from the first disable (weather they only got off one cloud to disable or all 3) the buildings recover and are immune to disable for like 5 minutes or something (to the aliens from spamming, forcing them to plan an attack).
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Still thinking about good alt-fire suggestions for spore but please don't make it anything that blurs a Marine's vision or makes him hallucinate or makes it hard for him to aim or anything. It's not fun for the Marine.
  • GrapeVineGrapeVine Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58803Members
    Since we are moving on from umbra which I thought would be obvious alt fire for spores, I suggest its some kind of a debuff since spores already do damage.

I think vision blurring idea would be too annoying but it could be area movement speed reduction, like -25% nothing too overpowered, just to give those marines the annoying sticky feel while taking damage from spores.

Or something defensive like area healing +5 hp per second.

Or instead of support moves, give him the bite!
  • BlinK_BlinK_ Join Date: 2010-01-09 Member: 70002Members
    edited February 2010
    Looking good as always. Thanks for exciting Friday update. Few ideas for alt-fire:

I am not sure if I know everything you have released about dynamic infestation, but alt-fire could spread dynamic infestation spores. These could increase the infestation process or start a new infestation source, e.g. on a marine resource tower, and temporarily disabling it.

EDIT: I just realized something. I really think this is great idea. What make me even more exciting, is that when NS2 is released if this idea is not implemented, I will be able to do it by myself. And all the ideas of alt-fire in previous posts could also be implemented by anyone. That is truly neat!
  • ikirikir Join Date: 2003-07-19 Member: 18265Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    Awesome!!! I love the final part of the video.
    oh i forgot about the marines getting a flame thrower. what if the flame thrower could clear out the gas/umbra the lerk shoots? so instead of a group of marines having to wait 10 seconds for the gas to clear, the flame thrower guy just goes in and burns it all in 2 seconds.

if that were the case though id have to advocate that the flame thrower would have to like HA or JP, you cant have both, only one HA/JP/flame thrower at any given time. of course if this super flame thrower marine dies, i hope he explodes and damages others, or at least has the possibility of exploding :).

<!--quoteo(post=1755464:date=Feb 26 2010, 02:55 PM:name=Nyf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nyf @ Feb 26 2010, 02:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755464"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Looks amazing! My two cents:
    1. Somehow the model looks off balance. I'm not sure how to describe it exactly, but that's that I thought of. In spite of this it looks very well done, can't wait to see it in action!
    2. Spore launcher alt: perhaps a gas-thrower? I know the marines are getting a flamethrower, so perhaps a gas-thrower? By gas I mean the stuff inside of the spore cloud. Perhaps make it do slightly more damage but be less persistent? So, still an area denial attack, but a more directed and more damaging one.

Just some thoughts! Keep up the good work!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • Dr.DementedDr.Demented Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70725Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1755437:date=Feb 26 2010, 12:08 PM:name=Machinaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Machinaster @ Feb 26 2010, 12:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755437"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->....a smoke grenade effect that blots out vision to let the lerk escape, but uses up all the adrenaline points making fleeing a difficult task.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like this idea because there are many ways the devs could play with it. You could make Motion Tracking a more incentive upgrade because once the cloud drops the marines can't see (Either they could rely on motion tracking or if heat-vision is ever put in, they could use that). I don't know if it should be a double-edged thing in where the aliens can't see either, it could just turn out to be one big mess that way. But the way I see it is the lerk will act like a squid, once cornered and in danger it shoots out the spore/ink to get away. Hell, I'd love to see a Gorge do that too.

If I could throw in my personal suggestion, I wouldn't mind seeing something the lerk can do that scrambles the radar. Maybe the the alt-fire can be a spore/scream that interferes with radar reception with the marines so they don't know how many aliens or fellow marines are nearby (Maybe even map-readouts). Maybe the spore/scream could block marines from being picked up by Distress Beacons (Only per lerk).
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>The spikes fall with gravity and have some spread to them</b>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So sweet, like the syringe from TF2, i like it very much.
    But i HOPE you don´t do the same sh... like valve with the Medic syringe, because if a teammate is in front of you, the syringe stops, which can be very annyoing.
    <!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Great work UWE<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> but i see only 3 abilitys, whats the 4th?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>We currently don't have an alt-fire attack for spores but are open to suggestions!</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Some ideas
    1. Press alternative Fire for like 5 seconds a bar will "load" and then the lerk fire a tiny cloud, but big enough to fill doors or elevators and it stay longer then the primary
    2. Press alternative Fire for like 5 seconds and the lerk "spit" a green substance, so its like "acid" on the ground, if a marines touch it, he lost health. it will stay a bit longer then the primary cloud
    3. Press alternative Fire and shoot tiny clouds instead of giant cloud
    4. Press alternative Fire and shoot regeneration clouds, but it will remove the toxic cloud, so two lerks must work together, one spit the regeneration cloud, the other the toxic.
    5. Press alternative Fire and shoot a marine directly, its working like infection, if a marine is near this marine, he get infected too, only health or the time will remove it.

yada yada sorry for my english im old now :P
    <!--quoteo(post=1755487:date=Feb 26 2010, 03:27 PM:name=Dr.Demented)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dr.Demented @ Feb 26 2010, 03:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755487"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like this idea because there are many ways the devs could play with it. You could make Motion Tracking a more incentive upgrade because once the cloud drops the marines can't see (Either they could rely on motion tracking or if heat-vision is ever put in, they could use that). I don't know if it should be a double-edged thing in where the aliens can't see either, it could just turn out to be one big mess that way. But the way I see it is the lerk will act like a squid, once cornered and in danger it shoots out the spore/ink to get away. Hell, I'd love to see a Gorge do that too.

If I could throw in my personal suggestion, I wouldn't mind seeing something the lerk can do that scrambles the radar. Maybe the the alt-fire can be a spore/scream that interferes with radar reception with the marines so they don't know how many aliens or fellow marines are nearby (Maybe even map-readouts). Maybe the spore/scream could block marines from being picked up by Distress Beacons (Only per lerk).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

wait lol. giving the gorge the "ink escape" ability like a squid would be like giving to a penguin. this little fat thing trying to waddle away after it just crapped everywhere. i think the gorge itself would make it ineffective because of how slow he is :).
  • Ngluke2Ngluke2 Join Date: 2009-07-23 Member: 68242Members
    Liked it, except for the animation sequence at around 21-24sec. when the lerk lands, the leg pops into the idle anim phase, it's VERY visible, same at about 32-34sec, the anim transition from land to flight has a bit of a pop. other than that looks awesome. Loved the little leg shake the marine has in his idle, really enforces the rts element.

Can I look forward to see unknownworlds at GDC this march?
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    If not the spray marine vision loss or jarate type effect, I endorse this ink squid idea. Increases the Ninja abilities of the lerk. Disappear in a puff of smoke. :)
  • semisemi Join Date: 2004-10-19 Member: 32356Members
    Theres been a few suggestions for slow-cloud altfire, but how about having altfire be something that shoots out a slime/goo like thing under you so that you have to fly over the marines and altfire it, but then theyre slowed down and cant get out of your gas as well and are easier for skulks to come in and finish off?

That way lerks have incentive to get in on combat instead of just hide and spike.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1755495:date=Feb 26 2010, 12:37 PM:name=semi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (semi @ Feb 26 2010, 12:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755495"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Theres been a few suggestions for slow-cloud altfire, but how about having altfire be something that shoots out a slime/goo like thing under you so that you have to fly over the marines and altfire it, but then theyre slowed down and cant get out of your gas as well and are easier for skulks to come in and finish off?

That way lerks have incentive to get in on combat instead of just hide and spike.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, that's about what half the suggestions in here are.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    Very good, but the lift-off looks kinda unnatural.
    Can't put my finger on it, maybe the transition is too fast.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    I like the idea of a bombardier lerk that increased dmg taken jarate style.

Or to throw in some yomi layers:
    <ul><li>Spore does normal damage to marines</li><li>Flamethrowers/explosives burn gas away</li><li>Alt-Spore does no(reduced?) dmg to rines</li><li>Alt-Spore ignites when burned doing more dmg</li><li>?Ignite Alt-Spore with spikes?</li></ul>
  • Dr.DementedDr.Demented Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70725Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1755491:date=Feb 26 2010, 01:30 PM:name=0dy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (0dy @ Feb 26 2010, 01:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755491"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->wait lol. giving the gorge the "ink escape" ability like a squid would be like giving to a penguin. this little fat thing trying to waddle away after it just crapped everywhere. i think the gorge itself would make it ineffective because of how slow he is :).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Perhaps, I recall Celerity Gorges being quite the runners. But if it did crap everywhere, maybe it could bellyslide on it.
    Whoa, yes.
  • LocaneLocane Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22882Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1755479:date=Feb 26 2010, 03:16 PM:name=GrapeVine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GrapeVine @ Feb 26 2010, 03:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755479"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Since we are moving on from umbra which I thought would be obvious alt fire for spores, I suggest its some kind of a debuff since spores already do damage.

I think vision blurring idea would be too annoying but it could be area movement speed reduction, like -25% nothing too overpowered, just to give those marines the annoying sticky feel while taking damage from spores.

Or something defensive like area healing +5 hp per second.

Or instead of support moves, give him the bite!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We're moving on from Umbra?

Why?

Umbra was awesome. It made lerks able to switch roles from offense to support.
  • LazarusLazarus Join Date: 2002-01-28 Member: 122Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    Looks great! I'm also glad bite has been replaced with spikes. I never liked it when the Lerk was turned into a flying Skulk.

This idea isn't really associated with spores in any way and might also be a little far fetched, but what about a screech ability which turns the marines deaf for a few seconds, a bit like the Half-Life 2 high pitch ringing after an explosion? It would make the marines more vulnerable to flanks as they wouldn't be able to hear the characteristic clicking noises of the skulks. Could be handy when setting up ambushes.
  • AnimeLOLAnimeLOL Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58275Members
    I agree with Locane. Why make the Lerk more offensive? It needs to be a support class. Also, it should be supporting the melee attacks characteristic of the alien side, not itself acting offensively against marines with "sniper spikes."
  • XiphiasXiphias Join Date: 2004-08-04 Member: 30352Members, Constellation
    As a suggestion for the alt fire, maybe that could be the lerks close up attack.
    It would release the toxin into the bloodstream instead, forcing the marine to continiously loose health until he dies or recieves a medpack, the rate would be subject to balancing.

This would be useful against jetpacks, because they'd have to land or otherwise seek out a medpack, reducing their mobility.

I'm not sure this is the best suggestion, but there's something uniquely lerky about it. (Hit and run, then follow and pick off)
  • patrick_kiddpatrick_kidd Join Date: 2004-03-03 Member: 27094Members
    I think we'd need to find out if umbra was going to be included in another ability slot

Second, alt fires:

1) make normal spore act sortof like a smokescreen instead of have that be a secondary fire (just translucent, not fully opaque) and then have this condensed spore mine for alt fire - blob sticks to walls/marines, set off by proximity. (imagining an unsuspecting marine running back to base only to have it explode into spores on his back, clouding the air in their safe zone)

2) lerk lays and egg, and mini lerk mobile sentry is deployed, which follows him around. They are pals, and like to play tag and catch.
  • LichoLicho Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3858Members, NS1 Playtester
    edited February 2010
    Sticky time-bombs sound fun, especially the twist with bomb stuck on a marine :)

Btw., are animations from this video real in-game animations or just for video? They look nice.