Development Blog Update - Friday update - Lerk reveal

Comments

• JeronimoJeronimo Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39641Members
    what about the old lerk orange cloud that protect from damages, but here in NS2, only have effect on explosives weapons, disable range damage of grenades and mines; paralyse them, do not let the fire damage hurt other targets in their damage range
  • JeronimoJeronimo Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39641Members
    also for skulk, it was possible in a X version of ns, but has been changed, to parasite mines, that was brillant
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2010
    I'm sure this goes without saying but Umbra is a natural alt-fire for Spore. The lerk should still have a team support ability, otherwise all we've really got for support aliens is the Gorge.
  • RedDragonGeckoRedDragonGecko Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10564Members
    alt fire - Hallucinogen - Visual and aural hallucinations of random aliens attacking the marine, running at him or circling him.

Can be mostly client side.

Could be great when used with a little bit of tactics; spore the marines then mix a few skulks in with the hallucinations.
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    I asked Cory for a wallpaper sized version of the first lerk concept art which he was nice enough to supply, and I didn't want to keep it to myself since it's one of the better artworks I've seen for the game:

<a href="http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/162/lerkwallpaper1900x1200.jpg" target="_blank">Lerklerklerk</a>

I don't <i>think</i> he'll mind that I'm sharing.
  • DaimoninDaimonin Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70748Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->alt fire - Hallucinogen - Visual and aural hallucinations of random aliens attacking the marine, running at him or circling him.

Can be mostly client side.

Could be great when used with a little bit of tactics; spore the marines then mix a few skulks in with the hallucinations.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like this idea. Makes for some interesting strategies.

Is it just me or does the Lerk seem a bit forwards heavy? Large head, Long neck, and well developed chest muscles, while the rear end and legs are quite small in comparison. Feels like he needs more muscle on the legs or a tail of some sorts.
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    I can see you browsing the thread cory... post something cool already!
  • TheMatrixTheMatrix Join Date: 2008-11-02 Member: 65358Members
    daaamnnn loooks so sweeet!
  • KwilKwil Join Date: 2003-07-06 Member: 17963Members
    Model Lerk alt-fire after UT's bio-gun only with a much longer time between placement and detonation (assuming no enemy touches it) and you'll have a winner.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1755736:date=Feb 26 2010, 11:26 PM:name=Kwil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kwil @ Feb 26 2010, 11:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755736"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Model Lerk alt-fire after UT's bio-gun only with a much longer time between placement and detonation (assuming no enemy touches it) and you'll have a winner.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think a combination of this and halo's sticky grenades would be the best. :)
  • OmnifireOmnifire Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18935Members
    That was the slowest lerk attack i've ever seen.
  • DenuviateDenuviate Join Date: 2009-06-02 Member: 67634Members
    edited February 2010
    Local umbra cloud seems like the most obvious alt fire.

Will spores be similar to NS spores, i.e. a ball that travels in a straight line until it hits something and explodes into gas? Or will the spikes retract and turn into mid-range spore nozzles? Will the gas sink to the ground or hovar to the ceiling without flapping?

Also, will you be able to "roost" on jetpackers and bring them tumbling to the ground eagle style?
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    A spore cloud should be flamable and explode if a dumb-ass marine flames in a sporecloud. (only damages himself though)

I don't like the sniper-spiking, a fly-by shotgun blast would feel better.
    Some quick ideas for secondary-fire:

- Dropping a bunch of spikes on the floor that hurts marines if they walk into/ spore mine
    - Some sonar or something that disrupts the weldbots and structures + sound of rines (soundlayer that warps all other sounds)(weaker than the onos stomp for sure)
    - CLAWSHOVE - the lerk gets his legs up and tackles the marine, which gets pushed backwards and looses some health/is distorted for 2 seconds but can shoot
    would be really cool to shove marines into blackholes or give the other aliens a second to run(gorge) attack(rest) etc.
    another idea is the more the speed of the lerk the harder is the bodykick heh
  • UnsichtbarUnsichtbar Join Date: 2008-08-05 Member: 64757Members
    edited February 2010
    Very nice, the new Lerk is beyond cool. Looks like a zbrush model to me. But somehow i ask myself where Mr. Lerk stores all his darts? I think it would make more sense to shoot less spikes but let them do some poison damage over time and / or weaken the armor depending on the level or hives the aliens own.

Are there any plans to include lerk lifiting a Gorge?

Just wanted to add another question: obviously there is not much space to fly around is small corridors, so what happens when you touch an enemy player while flying? Is there a solution like in valve orangebox for example TF2 so you won't be blocked by other (in this case friendly) players? Would be bad if you just touch a marine for 1 pixel and get stuck and killed.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    - Secondary attack of spore is a yellow cloud which increase the "growing" of the dynamic infestation.
    - Secondary attack spits "gas", so if a flamethrower shoot...you know.
    What ever, i like the video and i am very surprised what do you do with the fade, i guess like "teleported behind a marine" hehe
  • resresresresresres Join Date: 2007-10-16 Member: 62652Members
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, the video only used actual in game animations.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I knew it! Marines never do anything useful - half the time they stand around doing nothing talking trash.

--------------

Where did they say that umbra/primal scream was being deleted?; Have you stopped to consider it as a 2nd (Umbra - NS1) or 3rd (P.Scream - NS1) hive ability?

--------------

Still not comfortable with the large bulge on its head, however the lesser bulge from Cory's (?) first concept idea (the first picture on the front page) is much more to my liking.

--------------

If we get a lerk's spore attack that blurs vision, then the marines should also cough or gag in either spore attack (i.e. primary, secondary).

--------------

<!--coloro:#2E8B57--><span style="color:#2E8B57"><!--/coloro-->I first thought +1 Agree to Umbra as spore's second, however, then neither spore nor umbra would be empowered by an alternative secondary action. It would appear to some as lazy programming or too simplified gameplay for new players. Thus, I rescind the idea that Umbra should be a lerk's spore's secondary fire. <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

My Suggestions:

<!--coloro:#F4A460--><span style="color:#F4A460"><!--/coloro-->- Removing traps and degrading structures in an increased strength acid cloud would be tangible and logical<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

- Spore mines (max 3 per lerk), trip one off for an instant spore cloud (by proximity, within a range of 30 cm or, the mine slowly releases a vapor (very hard to see) that creates a pressured gas, any changes in pressure (such as a marine walking thru it) will trigger the spore to be released)

<!--coloro:#4169E1--><span style="color:#4169E1"><!--/coloro-->- A hologram of the lerk will appear, use is max 1 while 1 is active. This way, if a lerk is sniper camping and spotted, it can then leave a shell of sorts for the marines to shoot at while the lerk finds new cover. The shell should not have reduced health to be effective. <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

- Or, yes, that smoke cloud idea that provides vision cover for the lerk, but should have quite a wider dispersion than spore has (at least 2-3 times) plus the aliens can see thru this smoke effect, while marines would shoot blindly (this effect with another lerk shooting spore into the cloud would be considered tactical - but would the programmers have enough work to do without another cloud effect?

<!--coloro:#4169E1--><span style="color:#4169E1"><!--/coloro-->- I second the slow down effect, but instead of a goo, a thicker or more humid cloud that will even slow down automated drones (such as repair bots or seige cannons), and marines move at 30% speed for a few seconds. Animations will have to be provided to show this effect on affected marines. <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

- Sykomyke's spore trail with adjustments from feedback as the alpha/betas progress, and players make suggestions.

<!--coloro:#F4A460--><span style="color:#F4A460"><!--/coloro-->- Infection ideas, but marines only lose a max of 50 hp regardless of medpacks; ie, the effect continues if a mp is picked up, the mp will just boost the health back up to 100, where the infection takes hp back down until the total 50(or more) is removed. This would mean the commander would have to react faster for a medpack drop, or, there could be a tech-tree for a mp upgrade that removes the countdown once an mp is administered to the marine. Infection makes marines cough loudly, so if they do get healed up, but still try to sneak in somewhere, the Kharaa will hear the coughing.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#4169E1--><span style="color:#4169E1"><!--/coloro-->- Boomer L4D1 style affect for alt spore; Tags marines for aliens to see them plus adds the infection idea, though less blurred vision, and again, cough a lot like my improved infection idea above.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#F4A460--><span style="color:#F4A460"><!--/coloro-->- I think healing clouds should be left to the gorge; last time I checked, it's the healer/support class afterall. <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#2E8B57--><span style="color:#2E8B57"><!--/coloro-->- Seeing as the lerk is a mid range damager, alt-fire spore, spore being offensive attack to begin with, should also be an offensive attack. Perhaps something thats quick, takes a lot of adrenaline and does a significant more amount of damage, but requires the lerk to be close to use it; thus something similar to Xeno, but doesn't kill the lerk in the process, and acts similar to the spore primary. This in combo with a Skulk's Xeno would definitely add to the yumi layers.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#F4A460--><span style="color:#F4A460"><!--/coloro-->- Seeing as marines get flamethrower, wouldn't it be great then if alt-fire spore is a fire retardant, rather than a fire accelerant (as suggested by many already)?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

- Working on the idea of a scream for alt-fire spore: maybe that's better left as a secondary to the primal scream. (Disorients marines like an alarm; gets triple vision and slight blurriness for about 2-3 seconds, and a ringing in the ears for 5 seconds (by 3rd second it starts to fall off) - like recent shooters when a flash-bomb goes off (ModWarf2) or you get too close to an explosion (BF:BadCo2)
  • kyliegirlkyliegirl Gorge Master Australia Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10586Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Looks good but I cant help but think the lerks head looks too much like an oviraptors head
  • NEX9NEX9 Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44299Members
    thats so he can pan cake and not scramble his brains
    go go gadget lerk head butt
  • ikirikir Join Date: 2003-07-19 Member: 18265Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    Another big news this week for Mac and Linux gamers:
    <a href="http://www.macrumors.com/2010/02/26/valves-steam-heading-to-the-mac/" target="_blank">http://www.macrumors.com/2010/02/26/valves...ing-to-the-mac/</a>

Steam for Mac and probably Linux is coming! This could help Unkown Worlds to bring Mac version out sooner (steamworks native for example ....)
  • FD2FD2 Join Date: 2005-07-24 Member: 56649Members
    As long as the 'adrenaline' makes the Lerk go 'wbububub' :D

I just hope the maps have large enough areas for Lerks to lurk in and use their crossbo-- I mean spike ability from a distance 0__o
  • DarkFrostDarkFrost Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15154Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1755674:date=Feb 27 2010, 03:09 AM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Feb 27 2010, 03:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755674"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Biggest disappointment of 2010, at least so far. I hope, pray even, that the news that follow are better or at least that the devs realize that they're going down the wrong path during the alpha. Every bit of info that comes out about the NS2 gameplay, makes me more pessimistic.

I just don't understand it. Why wouldn't you learn from the development of NS1? Why would you go back to the old Lerk, when the 3.0+ Lerk was far superior in every aspect of gameplay? Admittedly, this isn't just about the Lerk. The bad news are just piling on and I fear for this game. I could try to make some kind of argument out of this post, but honestly, I feel about ready to give up. Right now, it looks like the graphics will be the only reason to play NS2 instead of NS1.

PS. Why has the "General Discussion" board turned into I&S? Most threads are unreadable because of all the terrible ideas being spammed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree, completely.

What is cool from a design point of view, doesn't equate to fun from a gameplay point of view.

I had hoped that unknownworlds wouldn't follow the trend of other developers and rip the heart out of the original game for its sequel. I'm still of the belief that a sequel should retain the core gameplay of its predecessor. From everything I've read about ns2 though...

I just get the impression that the game is going to need to be modded from the get go. And thats bad, as that will divide the community straight away.

I think too many people on these forums are wowed by nice graphics, and they don't see past those to the blatant problems that lie behind.
  • SajSaj Join Date: 2003-01-30 Member: 12936Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    any steps that take ns2 more towards NS1 2.1 rather than Ns1 3.0 are good, theres a reason the competative scene died out after 3.0.
  • fwd-Randomfwd-Random Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11618Members
    edited February 2010
    Was the yellow cloud attack umbra in ns1? i forget the name.
    Anyway the bullet miss cloud gave lerk late game viability in ns1, if its not present in ns2 what will replace it to give lerk late game viability.

Also with the roost ability, you can shoot down from ceiling anyway by just flying up against it. What benefit is there to messing up your view angle by going upside down. Also are you attached to the ceiling therefore going from flight to walking.
    There would need to be a significant extra bonus in using roost to make it worth the steep trade offs.
  • WoopfishWoopfish Join Date: 2010-02-27 Member: 70756Members
    Congratulation unknownworlds.... That video made me buy your game ;)
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1755771:date=Feb 27 2010, 06:29 AM:name=fwd-Random)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fwd-Random @ Feb 27 2010, 06:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755771"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Was the yellow cloud attack umbra in ns1? i forget the name.
    Anyway the bullet miss cloud gave lerk late game viability in ns1, if its not present in ns2 what will replace it to give lerk late game viability.

Also with the roost ability, you can shoot down from ceiling anyway by just flying up against it. What benefit is there to messing up your view angle by going upside down. Also are you attached to the ceiling therefore going from flight to walking.
    There would need to be a significant extra bonus in using roost to make it worth the steep trade offs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, you won't be flapping your wings so you won't be heard. You won't have to loose adrenaline just by hanging while flapping does (minimal but still), and to give the roosting a clear advantage then they could add a speedboost in the direction you're facing once you release.
    And last but not least it's pretty cool, and been on the developer wish-list for a long time apparently.
  • korvokorvo Join Date: 2009-11-19 Member: 69427Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2010
    Long time I have waited for a clear view on a Lerk.
    On <a href="http://ns2.squarespace.com/storage/squad.jpg" target="_blank">one of the first screenshots</a> there was something, looking a bit like a fade with wings - I was worried about the size of the new Lerk. In NS1 it was my favorite unit, because of the ability to fly, to shoot from distance and to hide in tiny ventilation shafts. <!--coloro:#2F4F4F--><span style="color:#2F4F4F"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->(I stopped playing NS1 when steam came out although it was my favorite game - I couldn't play any longer with my original keys...)<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    So the design of the Lerk is important for me. Now I'm relieved too see the look of the Lerk. It's completely satisfying.

Thank you for making a good job.

PS: Update Wiki plz ;)
  • RecupelRecupel Join Date: 2008-02-27 Member: 63752Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Super cool !
    I'd like to impale marines on a wall =D

(For cloud alt, why don't make the cloud pops in the lerk's location? It could be somehow useful in some situations)
  • KassingerKassinger Shades of grey Join Date: 2002-02-20 Member: 229Members, Constellation
    Any chance the Mattlerk will be available for pre-orders? He is definitely the more frightening of the two. :)
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1755787:date=Feb 27 2010, 02:09 PM:name=Kassinger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kassinger @ Feb 27 2010, 02:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755787"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Any chance the Mattlerk will be available for pre-orders? He is definitely the more frightening of the two. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    u will get him if u buy the SE edition along with the black armor
  • rofldinhorofldinho Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68259Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1755767:date=Feb 27 2010, 11:06 AM:name=Saj)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Saj @ Feb 27 2010, 11:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755767"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->any steps that take ns2 more towards NS1 2.1 rather than Ns1 3.0 are good, <b>theres a reason the competative scene died out after 3.0.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The reason being the game, like all other HL1 mods, had gone beyond it's shelf life. NOT because of 3.0 and the changes it made.