I think the new AVP is awful

13»

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I never really liked AvsP(insert version number here) multiplayer... I'm probably only getting it for the single player stuffs...
  • KhazeKhaze Join Date: 2006-12-12 Member: 59031Members
    A friend of mine put it perfectly.

"Playing this game makes me feel like busting out Unreal Tournament and screaming THIS IF A ###### FPS GAME"
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1752195:date=Feb 10 2010, 12:56 AM:name=Khaze)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Khaze @ Feb 10 2010, 12:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1752195"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A friend of mine put it perfectly.

"Playing this game makes me feel like busting out Unreal Tournament and screaming THIS IF A ###### FPS GAME"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Quoted for agreement.
  • ScribblesScribbles Join Date: 2003-11-05 Member: 22323Members
    I used to be a pretty big fan of the first two games, but so far this game has done nothing but annoy me.

The controls <b>are</b> terrible. You can really tell this game has been designed for a console crowd that's not used to fine controls and the like. The game constantly takes control away from you and replaces it with lengthy animations. Especially as an alien this gets very frustrating very fast. As an alien, my weapon is mobility. Having the computer go "LOL U WANNA JUMP, THAT'S WAY TOO HARD. HERE LET ME DO THAT FOR YOU" just kills any bit of skill that might be required to be good at the game. Half the time, I run in and just cross my fingers and spam attacks hoping I'm doing the right thing. My screenview is going all over the place while we button mash or way to victory. I've actually gotten topscore several times doing that.

The skill ceiling is very, very, very low. It's literally a console players "MY FIRST FPS", where crappy players can pick the predator, abuse the crap out of autoaiming oneshot weapons and go brag on forums about their 15 kill streaks.

So jeah, the game looks great, and hey IT'S MOTHERF****** AVP WOOO", and that's basically all AVP3 has going for it. The cons are you got a game with pretty ###### controls, a very low skillceiling and no balance whatsoever.

Jeah thanks, I'll pass.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1751175:date=Feb 6 2010, 12:28 AM:name=Drake1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drake1 @ Feb 6 2010, 12:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751175"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Standard Deathmatch was an <i><b>awful</b></i> choice for a demo.

Honestly if rebellion had any sense they'd have either made a demo of one of the more interesting modes (bug hunt, survivor) or even a singleplayer demo which would have better promoted their title imo.

I'd say alot of people would be put off by the confusing chaos of a 3 way deathmatch on a pitch black map.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->It wouldn't make sense to do a singleplayer demo considering the campaign across all 3 races is 18 levels long. TDM certainly would make a lot of sense, but the more you give in a demo, the less likely people are to buy it, because a lot of players just want to see what the experience is like and don't care about getting the entire game if it's basically more of the same but just a little different. Largescale MP demos invariably hurt eventual sales, unless it's a subscription-based game that has much more game content on offer.

I played it on the 360 (prolly can't run it respectably on PC) and liked everything except the lynchpin shadows are to the gameplay and the wallwalking mechanic.

The lighting means you can turn up your brightness and completely negate the necessity to use your Marine flashlight (surprised nobody's mentioned it here). Although this does really ruin the great immersion you get from being completely paranoid and flailing about with your flashlight.

The wallwalking is unpredictable, fiddly, fuzzy and just hurts. Like others have said, I found the camera worked fine in AvP2, but in this the controls make wallwalking painful. I spaz out completely whenever I get in a fight or try to retreat along the walls/celingas an Alien but can reliably go top as Marine or Predator. Maybe I could spend time getting used to it, but it doesn't come naturally.
  • -Drake--Drake- -dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ- Join Date: 2003-04-02 Member: 15125Members
    edited February 2010
    Cant say I fully agree there, while a better choice of multiplayer mode would have been my prefered preference I dont think it would have been senseless to have released a campaign demo.

Releasing a demo letting players play a short section from all 3 of the campaigns would have been a more positive move in my book and besides the they did it with avp2.

It would have done a better job of selling the experience and I think giving the players a bit more immersion would have done a better job of hooking them than a no-brainer DM demo.

Not saying your wrong or anything its just my opinion =]

Edit: Even though the demo was a pretty poor example it hasnt put be off picking up my pre-ordered copy.

Roll on friday !
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1753026:date=Feb 13 2010, 11:39 PM:name=Drake1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drake1 @ Feb 13 2010, 11:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753026"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Cant say I fully agree there, while a better choice of multiplayer mode would have been my prefered preference I dont think it would have been senseless to have released a campaign demo.

Releasing a demo letting players play a short section from all 3 of the campaigns would have been a more positive move in my book and besides the they did it with avp2.

It would have done a better job of selling the experience and I think giving the players a bit more immersion would have done a better job of hooking them than a no-brainer DM demo.

Not saying your wrong or anything its just my opinion =]

Edit: Even though the demo was a pretty poor example it hasnt put be off picking up my pre-ordered copy.

Roll on friday !<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I should probably clarify that demos released before the actual game release are the ones that have a bad effect on sales. There may be an SP demo after day-0, but I've heard the campaigns are pretty short. How long would you want an SP demo to be (in minutes?).