Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 wins ModDB's Indie Game of the Year 2010

Comments

• Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    Did not see that much coming!
  • urinalcakeurinalcake Can't work a sound card United States Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7799Members
    everyone's a critic..
    Congrats UW, great footage -- despite what problems might show that you guys will end up fixing anyways.
  • hotd0ghotd0g Join Date: 2004-03-19 Member: 27419Members
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1751020:date=Feb 5 2010, 01:06 PM:name=Machinaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Machinaster @ Feb 5 2010, 01:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751020"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Remember, this is NS2. It's not NS1: REHASHED. Where did you see ns1 models at..? Just curious, I happened to miss those if they're there

Also: you teases. I can't wait to experience this game and all the changes as we go from alpha to full release... I feel like a drug addict with the way I check the twitter and update feeds...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The obs is still ns1 and the hive sight (hive icon and parasite icon) as well.

<!--quoteo(post=1751022:date=Feb 5 2010, 01:08 PM:name=MikeyTWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MikeyTWolf @ Feb 5 2010, 01:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751022"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1) It's not NS1, Skulks do not need to bhop now + Leap from 1st hive unlocked now as well. Seriously, read up first before you start spouting.

2) Animations are bad, because FPS is bad.

3) FPS is bad because optimization comes last AND because he was hastily doing the trick with a video capture device (WHICH ALWAYS SUCK (massive amounts of) CPU) AND most likely the editor tools to boot (it was 5 minutes between tasks at work to show SOMETHING for Moddb (to make it actually look like as if they are anywhere near Overgrowth's level of work with at least one video)).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is not an opinion? Take a chill pill bro, I'm not spouting, I'm only stating constructive criticism.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    too bad it was short, now I have to watch it 10 times to compensate.
    Im gonna sound greedy but F*** it :D I hope there are more stuff coming our way since its friday.
  • NehxNehx Join Date: 2007-09-19 Member: 62368Members
    This made my day!. Can't wait to test the alpha.
  • NS-SkorpioNNS-SkorpioN Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58101Members
    Congratulations!

Any chance to get the video in HD?
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    This is exactly why most studios never release an alpha. People judge it as if it is the final game, and sometimes the studio loses customers as a result.

Those animations do look a little jerky but I am sure they will be refined before the final release. It's not like UWE to do a shoddy job on anything. This is what we are going to be seeing in the alpha, and UWE needs to get the gameplay in quickly so that it can be refined as well through many playtests. Before this, things are very subject to change so it's not wise to put too much effort into the animations of marine buildings which they might never use (extreme situation).

I am saying this from personal experience as well, because when I was developing Petrified it wasn't until the last month and half of our six month project that it really started to look good. This is when we had the gameplay sorted out and we were focusing on the polish and bugfixes. This is when we added sounds and took what we saw from the playtests to design a complete beautiful map.
  • -Diesel--Diesel- Join Date: 2009-09-13 Member: 68769Members
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1751017:date=Feb 5 2010, 06:01 PM:name=hotd0g)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hotd0g @ Feb 5 2010, 06:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751017"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This game is obviously far from finished.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, because it's in pre-alpha.
    It's the norm to have lots of placeholder art / sounds / animations / HUD and whatnot at this stage.
  • -Diesel--Diesel- Join Date: 2009-09-13 Member: 68769Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1751035:date=Feb 5 2010, 12:24 PM:name=Razagal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Razagal @ Feb 5 2010, 12:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751035"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, because it's in pre-alpha.
    It's the norm to have lots of placeholder art / sounds / animations / HUD and whatnot at this stage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I hope the Machine guns sound is a placeholder. ( I'm sure it is )

Because it sounds like a panda farting. pipiipippipiip and not Bang Bang Bang!
  • Invader_ScootInvader_Scoot Join Date: 2003-10-13 Member: 21669Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh man the video is loading now I can't wait to see it :D!
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited February 2010
    Gratz!
    I love the command station, looks realistic enough.
    Can you not change the skulk view?
    I mean why you see the teeth?
    I know its the same like in ns1 with the skulk but i would like to see his snout because i can't see something with these teeth and i just watch the video, ingame its more bad?!

@-Diesel-
    I hate loud weapon sounds in a game (!!²), but im sure its not final, because there is still no alpha, i am sure its pre-alpha footage.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    edited February 2010
    If you're using that many dynamic lights - even if shadows are disabled - it's going to be slow. Mapping for Doom 3 will show you that.

They've already got their own shadowing and auto-vis-portal-type-thing, so I wonder what tricks they have to improve performance. Some of it won't be implemented 100% yet I'm guessing.
  • NS-SkorpioNNS-SkorpioN Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58101Members
    edited February 2010
    Please let me make a suggestion about the Command Station, I like the overall design, but I think it would be better with a chair and a console inside.

I do not like the Marine standing up in.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Ever wonder why they are reluctant to release the alpha? Ponder no more:

<!--quoteo(post=1751017:date=Feb 5 2010, 07:01 PM:name=hotd0g)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hotd0g @ Feb 5 2010, 07:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751017"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know about this. The footage seems quite clunky to me.
    What bothered me was:

- Player models move like they got a stick up their ass.
    - The animations aren't very fluid, like when the comm chair folded back up, it moved a little jittery and laggy, it needs to be way more fluid.
    - Bad framerate (but i guess this is to blame on the footage being from the alpha version of the game)
    - I don't like the animation of the gun swinging back and forth when sprinting. It looks VERY amateuristic. (and mimicked from other games like Battlefield, obviously)
    - The health indicators on the bottom look very amateuristic as well. Adding some transparency would spice things up i think.
    - Is bunnyhopping as a skulk even in the game? Remember, this is essential to playing aliens as they need to be able to reach the marine fast.
    - The sound of the marine steps sound the same on every surface. It sounds as if they are walking on a metal surface with cotton slippers.

This game is obviously far from finished. Some of the buildings and models are still NS1. Even the hive sight is still NS1.
    Please take your time to finish the game...I don't care how long it takes tbh...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • darktimesdarktimes Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63247Members
    edited February 2010
    TO everybody that is concerned about the LAG and framerates, the animations and the stuttering:

Thats the low quality ModDB video player, not the game. I haven't seen a single video on ModDB that didn't look like that. the game is smooth like a baby probably.

anyway, this little teaser, really, teased me, so..

<a href="http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/please-sir-I-want-some-moar-415x500.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/...oar-415x500.jpg</a>
  • KhazModanKhazModan Join Date: 2003-04-14 Member: 15500Members, Constellation
    congratulations guys, Well deserved
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Congrats on the award. How does one win this -- via anonymous votes?

Could someone post this video elsewhere, so we can actually view it.
  • PatoPato Join Date: 2010-01-19 Member: 70225Members
    Congrats. Well deserved award.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Grats! Good to see those poor 'rines have a sprint now. XD
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    Weldone. And I really want that video in a higher resolution, looks incredible. Wow.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1751033:date=Feb 5 2010, 12:21 PM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Feb 5 2010, 12:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751033"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is exactly why most studios never release an alpha. People judge it as if it is the final game, and sometimes the studio loses customers as a result.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1; I'll be the first person to admit that the footage had a TON of problems and is nowhere near the kind of quality we expect from NS2, but that's because <i>once NS2 looks as good as it should, they'll release it</i>. By definition anything they release before the game is done is SUPPOSED to look bad, because if it was flawless, then the game would be out already. I don't really care about what people think one way or another about what they see, because I want NS2 the game (not NS2 the prerelease footage) to be good, but this is a pretty good example of why UWE doesn't just show us everything all the time. People crap all over them for not having a perfect game finished before the game is finished.
  • ItalianmagicItalianmagic Join Date: 2008-12-13 Member: 65755Members
    Gratz UWE! wonderful first peek into the gameplay realm that is NS2! I R now hungry from spending too much time reviewing video.
  • BigTextBigText Join Date: 2007-12-21 Member: 63231Members
    The video seems to need one of those "EVERYTHING YOU SEE OR HEAR IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE" disclaimers at the bottom. Pointing out problems is fine, but keep in mind, they probably know it already if it's obvious enough. Some things that are getting pointed out as mistakes/bad choices/bad are OBVIOUSLY placeholder.
  • OnozkiOnozki Join Date: 2005-04-20 Member: 48948Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Greedy ######s, already have working alpha and wont release it!

Gz anyway.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1751033:date=Feb 5 2010, 07:21 PM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Feb 5 2010, 07:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751033"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is exactly why most studios never release an alpha. People judge it as if it is the final game, and sometimes the studio loses customers as a result.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Which isn't necessarily a problem, because noone wants to play a teamgame with idiots.
    There are way too many in ns1, because it's free.
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    First of all, congratulations.

Secondly, I would like to know how close is the footage to what we would get for an alpha? Is the alpha way better? Or would it be of the same quality?
  • Dauntl3ssDauntl3ss Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7737Members
    edited February 2010
    Oh, damn. That was an extremely needed fix to still my nerdy urges. It's looking great! Everyone who criticizes, constructive or not, should remember that this is pre-alpha, and most, if not everything, is subject to change.
    Things tend to <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXMk_Ti0Wug" target="_blank">change</a> a lot in the <a href="http://sclegacy.com/editorials/34-general/270-starcraft-evolution" target="_blank"> early stages</a>.

Other than that, congrats to UWE:)
  • NossahNossah Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8234Members, Constellation
    for the love of all that is holy, please tell me there is a high def video of that being uploaded somewhere right now.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1751055:date=Feb 5 2010, 10:19 AM:name=pSyk0mAn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pSyk0mAn @ Feb 5 2010, 10:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751055"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Which isn't necessarily a problem, because noone wants to play a teamgame with idiots.
    There are way too many in ns1, because it's free.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Haha, good insight!