Engine Questions

Comments

• AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited November 2009
    The snap functions don't help with the decimals though. They're everywhere. Make a texture 0.2 in scale X, then come back five minutes later and you'll find it's 0.19999257 or so.
  • dedgeckodedgecko Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69511Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1741271:date=Nov 28 2009, 09:29 AM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Align @ Nov 28 2009, 09:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1741271"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The snap functions don't help with the decimals though. They're everywhere. Make a texture 0.2 in scale X, then come back five minutes later and you'll find it's 0.19999257 or so.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yea, I came across this after building a little room, and wanting to build a vent based on "models_props_refinery_refinery_wallmods_01_vent_high_model". Using the pencil tool I was having the hardest time to get it to "snap" while making a 40x40 rectangle using grid size 4. I double checked to make sure that 'snap' was enable, which it was, and in the end I undid everything and tried it again.

I think if your first point somehow didn't snap to a non-decimal coordinate, it throws the snap function off without crashing the editor (and damn have I been through a lot of crashes).
  • DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    Align, I have that same problem - I also know that the paint tool is still in a very early state so I'd expect to see that fixed in later versions.
  • poweripoweri Join Date: 2006-11-26 Member: 58724Members
    The decimals happen when you have texture lock enabled, and do something with the face, like move or resize it, even if you return it back to it's original state.
    Floating point math unfortunately isn't totally precise and predictable, and the decimals are caused by rounding errors.
  • INKEDOUTINKEDOUT Join Date: 2007-06-23 Member: 61343Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1740080:date=Nov 25 2009, 01:10 AM:name=bhaz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bhaz @ Nov 25 2009, 01:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1740080"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is there any talk of displacements being possible in the future? I guess it isn't too necessary with NS mainly focusing on indoor environments, but it would be nice to have.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, they said they wanted it, it's on one of the boards... somewhere.
  • vartaxevartaxe Join Date: 2007-09-18 Member: 62350Members
    source engine is good but this one theyre building looks very good too! and as for the tools they look much better!
    the builder, the viewer, the editor, all those apps they made are just awesome! valve should hire them after they release NS2.
    if they use valve .vtf & .vmt its ok as its a good format and there are already good tools for it check <a href="http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/" target="_blank">http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/</a> and <a href="http://www.wunderboy.org/" target="_blank">http://www.wunderboy.org/</a>
    also unknown worlds guys if you do it right youre gonna be as big as valve, epic, id, crytek...

just one question tought those the game engine support tesselation? it's opengl or dx?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1740514:date=Nov 26 2009, 05:19 PM:name=Razagal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Razagal @ Nov 26 2009, 05:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1740514"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Since the marine commander controls a few AI units the answer should be yes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Babblers!
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    If my floor is not flat will this cause problems for marines to walk on them?

For example.

IF this
    <a href="http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/4772/floorv.jpg" target="_blank">http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/4772/floorv.jpg</a>
    Was my floor of a 100x100 corridor would a marine be able to walk on it?
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I doubt it. The siegemobile might get stuck though.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1743337:date=Dec 10 2009, 09:34 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Dec 10 2009, 09:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1743337"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I doubt it. The siegemobile might get stuck though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Coolio!...

I didnt plan for it to be used by a siege mobile!
  • NS-SkorpioNNS-SkorpioN Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58101Members
    The million dollar question:

What is the limit of props on a map?
  • FredDurschtFredDurscht Join Date: 2009-12-18 Member: 69704Members
    what are the polycount limits for
    1) first person weapons
    2) third person weapons
  • WaffleSpoonWaffleSpoon Join Date: 2002-01-30 Member: 133Members
    I suppose this is as good a place as any to ask:

There are currently two very different ways to mapping that I am aware of:

One is the Half-Life/BSP-method where you need to enclose your map with "brushes", or some sort of binary object, in order for it to render properly during compilation.

The other is the Unreal/Props-method where there is no need to enclose a map with binary objects to prevent leaks into the void, surrounding the map. Instead, all that is needed, is for you to make sure the entities within the map, cannot "fall down".

Which of these categories do NS2 (and by default, Spark) fall into? Do we have to encase our map with faces, or is it fully possible to build a map using only props, even leaving smaller "holes"/"leaks" into the void below?
    Lights have a maximum range, so it seems very likely that leaks are not a problem. Except for side-effects like the hall of mirrors, or items falling into the void...
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    You don't need to enclose your level in geometry. There's not really any such thing as "leaks" in Spark.
  • ghost in the shellghost in the shell Join Date: 2008-09-28 Member: 65094Members
    edited January 2010
    Is there any way to get the editor to run on linux
    I tried wine, didn't work :(
    Does it need an emulator or just some more libraries?
  • TgaudTgaud Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67323Members
    edited January 2010
    Emulate windows on linux, then use spark editor .. :p
  • PfirsichPfirsich Join Date: 2010-01-09 Member: 70022Members
    I used the search function, but it didn't give any usable results, so I hope this question hasn't been asked before.
    What algorithm are you using for your "atmospheric effects"/volumetric lighting? It looks gorgeous and is still not to slow (so it seems because the rest of the game looks awesome too :) ).

Btw.: I just discovered your game (due to the MOTY-Awards (I voted for it :) )) and I'm really impressed. I'm really looking forward to it's release :)
  • barbarossabarbarossa Join Date: 2003-10-25 Member: 21941Members, Constellation
    edited January 2010
    If I've got an extra vertex point on the edge of a face, how do I delete it? I've tried just selecting it and hitting delete, but that deletes the entire edge it's resting on.

On a side note, is there a key I can hold down while extruding a face that would prevent it from making a new set of edges on the face every time I stopped moving? Sometimes (most of the time) I can't extrude far enough (for a hallway) and I just want it to continue from where I've stopped.

(edit - just realized this is an editor question, not an engine question. where should i have posted this?)
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1747973:date=Jan 19 2010, 08:55 AM:name=barbarossa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (barbarossa @ Jan 19 2010, 08:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747973"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If I've got an extra vertex point on the edge of a face, how do I delete it? I've tried just selecting it and hitting delete, but that deletes the entire edge it's resting on.

On a side note, is there a key I can hold down while extruding a face that would prevent it from making a new set of edges on the face every time I stopped moving? Sometimes (most of the time) I can't extrude far enough (for a hallway) and I just want it to continue from where I've stopped.

(edit - just realized this is an editor question, not an engine question. where should i have posted this?)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can't delete a vertex and keep the edge that's on it, vertexes are first in the mesh hierarchy. You will have to delete the vertex (along with the edge) and use the line tool to recreate the edge without a vertex splitting it. Then, use the selection mode and select all edge to recreate the face. In the end, you just removed 2 polygons from your map, that wouldn't be much considerable anyways.

If you want to move the extruded face further, extrude it first, then unlock texture mapping (button next to the selection filters) and just move your face on the same axis.
    Can't he weld the superfluous vertex to one of the existing ones on the edge?
  • barbarossabarbarossa Join Date: 2003-10-25 Member: 21941Members, Constellation
    Thank you for the response, but it sounds like I wasn't clear; I've got this: *---*------------* and i just want to get rid of that pesky middle *. It's not connected to anything; it's not doing anything. I don't see why I should have to get rid of the whole face when it's just one little point I want to get rid of.

And I tried welding the vertex to the edge: it doesn't do anything, as far as I can tell. Except maybe make it stick when you move everything.
    Weld the middle vertex to one of the vertexes on the edges of the line.
  • TephraTephra Join Date: 2010-01-17 Member: 70193Members
    The vertex is connected to something. You need to move the vertexes together, and then weld them. After welding properly, you will notice that instead of having 2 vertices, you will now have 1. You should be aware that the vertex you are seeing is affiliated with some line you created.

I do have a question however, Do we know if alien infestation can propagate across all props? Are there some props that will not allow infestation to cross over it. For example a boulder or rock prop?

Knowing if there is a prop limit would also help.
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1748001:date=Jan 19 2010, 11:21 AM:name=barbarossa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (barbarossa @ Jan 19 2010, 11:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1748001"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thank you for the response, but it sounds like I wasn't clear; I've got this: *---*------------* and i just want to get rid of that pesky middle *. It's not connected to anything; it's not doing anything. I don't see why I should have to get rid of the whole face when it's just one little point I want to get rid of.

And I tried welding the vertex to the edge: it doesn't do anything, as far as I can tell. Except maybe make it stick when you move everything.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry for the complicated answer. Plus, I did forget to mention that you could just weld the vertex to one on other on the same edge. Right it causes no geometry issue (at least for me) while, you have to make sure that there is no edge starting from your extra vertex (I assume it is the case) and it won't add any extra geometry that in any case, we might not care about since it would only be 2 polygons.

<!--quoteo(post=1748187:date=Jan 20 2010, 07:20 AM:name=Tephra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tephra @ Jan 20 2010, 07:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1748187"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I do have a question however, Do we know if alien infestation can propagate across all props? Are there some props that will not allow infestation to cross over it. For example a boulder or rock prop?

Knowing if there is a prop limit would also help.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think I've read that infestation is going to move along everything, and they said that levels should be built with the little extra space for it. Props are just like the geometry of your map, so it shouldn't make any differences.
  • NicksaerianNicksaerian Join Date: 2008-10-15 Member: 65207Members, Constellation
    edited January 2010
    better explained in another post
  • willy-wilsonwilly-wilson Join Date: 2010-01-12 Member: 70102Members
    A way to export selected geometry from the editor to later import into a 3d package would be a great feature.
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    Does the engine support anti-aliasing?

I ask because attempts to enable it in the editor through the control panel so far have failed.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1749810:date=Jan 30 2010, 09:10 AM:name=Draco_2k)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Draco_2k @ Jan 30 2010, 09:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749810"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does the engine support anti-aliasing?

I ask because attempts to enable it in the editor through the control panel so far have failed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Editor probably doesn't have it's own setting because AA in an editor is basically pointless.
    I'm sure they will have it in-game.
  • NicksaerianNicksaerian Join Date: 2008-10-15 Member: 65207Members, Constellation
    In a future update would it be possible to change the max distance shape of lighting? Right now the standard bulb produces a sphere of light which extends to a certain distance then stops. The spotlight creates a cone of light which extends to a certain distance then stops. Could we get an option to adjust the shape to suit our needs? Some areas I'd like a cylinder of light. For the rooms I have been making, a square or rectangle of light would be desirable. This would let me cast light into the areas I want without having to make multiple lights and have "bright spots".
This discussion has been closed.