The Lerk

edkrstedkrst Join Date: 2009-09-11 Member: 68748Members
edited October 2009 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">"shooting spikes"</div>Has anyone else read the BigDownload interview? One thing that caught my eye was this passage:

"The flying creature you see in the background is the Lerk. He can shoots deadly spikes as well as spore clouds that are good against groups of marines. A little touch we hope to add with the spikes is that if you kill a marine with them and he's near a flat surface, he will fly backwards and become impaled in the wall."

Comments

• Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    glad to see it back, it sounds awesome... and it looks great too!
  • edkrstedkrst Join Date: 2009-09-11 Member: 68748Members
    I know some people won't be happy about this throwback. My question is: Does this replace Bite, or does the Lerk have both a short range bite and long range shooting ability?
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1734708:date=Oct 30 2009, 07:07 PM:name=edkrst)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (edkrst @ Oct 30 2009, 07:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734708"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know some people won't be happy about this throwback. My question is: Does this replace Bite, or does the Lerk have both a short range bite and long range shooting ability?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i am sure it has replaced bite.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    Actually if you look closely it looks like the lerk might have something resembling a beak, if that so mabe we'll have some kind of interesting peck/dive bomb type ability. Just conjecturing :D
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Maybe they don't have any insider information and are referring to the old Lerk?
  • kastkast Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22791Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    bring back pancaking
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1734742:date=Oct 31 2009, 01:29 AM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Oct 31 2009, 01:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734742"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe they don't have any insider information and are referring to the old Lerk?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nope, spikes were mentioned a few month ago on twitter.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Lerks are more of strafing by spraying spikes character now.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    I vote for pancaking. The really fancy side of post 2.0 lerk is that it is half-time close combat which requires lots of vertical aerial control and ability to avoid bullets in the air while trying to hit the marine. In the sense, its like a dive bomber. Currently all lifeforms (in NS1) are very versatile and unique, and demanding on many fronts, which I hope we can have in NS2 too.

Spikes will likely make the lerk in sit some corridor and just keep on firing the marines which doesn't take any more skill than sporing (which is of course very useful, but functionality-wise identical). Now anyone with brains can spore-lerk, but being effective in close combat requires talent. Of course I don't how it will work out in the end, but I'm not excited about this.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    I think spikes are fine as long as they work similar to the shotgun.

So the lerk would still need to get close to marines and do his dodging movements.

The advantage would be that lerks no longer block other lifeforms's attacks, when multiple aliens attack one target.
  • Commie SpyCommie Spy Join Date: 2009-07-02 Member: 68008Members
    I'm kind of biased because I absolutely LOVED lerk bite. Good lerks were hard to come by, and were INCREDIBLE in terms of defense. Spore and Divebombing (naturally w/ celerity... and sometimes silence) was not only difficult but FUN. Dive bombing for me at least, was the most adrenaline rush you can get in NS. Low hp made you be extremely careful, and I can't tell you how many times you face off w/ legit marines and come down to like... 1 hp and win... ahhh... so fun... actually what were we talking about?

but seriously, lerk spikes involved NO skill in NS1. Take big rooms for example (ns_nothing hives, except for cargo... cargo is small). Just have some bullsh!t lerk sit in the background and spike nonstop? strafe into view, out of view, into view, out of view - with no limitations or feedback in terms of spike distance or damage reduction. so boring dear god. and if you think about it, somewhat obnoxious - and not in the strategic distraction kind of way. Just fcking stupid. There is no way anyone can say otherwise. it was so stupid. I still can't understand how people get more heated over the devour debate...

I'm assuming the spikes will work shotgun style, where you need to be extremely close to marines. rather I hope because long distance low damage lerk spikes is the fking fail.

More importantly though, how dopey does the lerk looks? His dragging feet makes him look like a baby pterodactyl leaping and gliding around! I don't know what they have in mind in terms of gameplay, but in terms of aesthetics he look absolutely amazing! gj UWE, from what I can tell he looks sick!
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    I would guess from the pic that the lerk will pick up its legs with each flap of the wings, so it won't always be such a big target.

I think they also said that the spikes would be a short range weapon, so no pew-pewing from a vent across the next room...and if it's short range only I fully expect that it will be a shotgun-style spike - rapid fire would force the lerk to fly straight at a marine (or using a different flight model, would require the lerk to fly without looking where he's going when he attacks)
  • Commie SpyCommie Spy Join Date: 2009-07-02 Member: 68008Members
    i like the current flight model i hope it stays somewhat similar
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1734701:date=Oct 30 2009, 07:03 PM:name=edkrst)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (edkrst @ Oct 30 2009, 07:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734701"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Has anyone else read the BigDownload interview? One thing that caught my eye was this passage:

"The flying creature you see in the background is the Lerk. He can shoots deadly spikes as well as spore clouds that are good against groups of marines. A little touch we hope to add with the spikes is that if you kill a marine with them and he's near a flat surface, he will fly backwards and become impaled in the wall."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Definitely like the killing move pin thing. Something like a cool gimmick you get when you play Lerk.

I hope the lerk flight system is changed from the current one. Spiking with it sort of sucks (though biting with it is fine, as was intended). I never really got the hang of the old flight system, but I do remember having lots of fun strafing and dogfighting with Jetpackers in large areas. Bite... not so much.
  • borsukborsuk Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67717Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735036:date=Oct 31 2009, 04:05 PM:name=Commie Spy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Commie Spy @ Oct 31 2009, 04:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735036"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->but seriously, lerk spikes involved NO skill in NS1. Take big rooms for example (...)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I remember them saying spikes in NS2 are going to have their range severely limited. So it's actually something between NS1 bite and spike sniping. Lerk is going to be doing bombing runs.
  • GraveGrave Join Date: 2007-12-28 Member: 63285Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735023:date=Oct 31 2009, 02:23 PM:name=Jiriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jiriki @ Oct 31 2009, 02:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735023"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I vote for pancaking. The really fancy side of post 2.0 lerk is that it is half-time close combat which requires lots of vertical aerial control and ability to avoid bullets in the air while trying to hit the marine. In the sense, its like a dive bomber. Currently all lifeforms (in NS1) are very versatile and unique, and demanding on many fronts, which I hope we can have in NS2 too.

Spikes will likely make the lerk in sit some corridor and just keep on firing the marines which doesn't take any more skill than sporing (which is of course very useful, but functionality-wise identical). Now anyone with brains can spore-lerk, but being effective in close combat requires talent. Of course I don't how it will work out in the end, but I'm not excited about this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

so i agree, dont want the lerk to be boring pewpew no fun...yah yah wahtever. basically i just wanted to say ps i love you just for your icon!
    the black wind howls...
  • M00_cowM00_cow Join Date: 2007-03-02 Member: 60180Members, Constellation
    In the beginning back in NS1, wasn't spike what defined the class? As in, it was never meant to have a bite because then it was like a skulk with wings? I swear I read a post on this exact same topic a month or so ago that explained it amillion times better.

The long and short was that the Lerk was never meant to be a biter and bite was added in fairly late in the patches.

Will the marines bodies, once airborn cause collision damage? Thats my question.
  • PSAPSA Join Date: 2009-10-21 Member: 69107Members
    A short range, slow fire, good damage spike (like the shotgun) definitely sounds like the best alternative to bite, and keeps the dive-bombing gameplay (if not enhancing it by not requiring you to be kissing the marine). Keeps the gas-until-stripped, swoop in when distracted, land a few hits, fly away, gameplay which I think (and apparently lots of other people think) has a lot more depth. I can imagine maybe getting two shots off when swooping down to a marine: one shot on close approach, a second one at near point blank range, then retreat (or even the skill to do a quick spin around and land one last shot on retreat before getting out of range?). Juicy.

Although fun times in the noob days, sitting in an upper corner of refinery (or similar places) and spiking down a RT for 5 minutes straight. Credit to team!
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1735023:date=Oct 31 2009, 09:23 AM:name=Jiriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jiriki @ Oct 31 2009, 09:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735023"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I vote for pancaking. The really fancy side of post 2.0 lerk is that it is half-time close combat which requires lots of vertical aerial control and ability to avoid bullets in the air while trying to hit the marine. In the sense, its like a dive bomber. Currently all lifeforms (in NS1) are very versatile and unique, and demanding on many fronts, which I hope we can have in NS2 too.

Spikes will likely make the lerk in sit some corridor and just keep on firing the marines which doesn't take any more skill than sporing (which is of course very useful, but functionality-wise identical). Now anyone with brains can spore-lerk, but being effective in close combat requires talent. Of course I don't how it will work out in the end, but I'm not excited about this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This saved me some writing so i go ahead and +1 this.
  • borsukborsuk Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67717Members
    I think the divebombing lerk could be implemented simply by giving lerk bite a long cooldown (say, 2 seconds). This way it would be more about hit&run and fly-by attacks. If I remember correctly, NS1 had an energy system and everything would decrease your total energy. In such case a lerk would only be unable to bite if it was out of energy, and being out of energy would mean it can't do anything else. Which, I think, would be BAD. Simple energy system can work, but I think it's bad at encouraging hit&run, fly-by attacks.

From flavour perspective I like lerk bite much more than lerk spikes. Cooldown on bite attack should take care of "flying skulk" issue.

b0rsuk
  • UnknownLegacyUnknownLegacy Join Date: 2009-06-03 Member: 67664Members
    I think the spikes being a shotgun style attack would be a great idea, but the only problem I see is that its pretty easy for the lerk to quickly get to the marines and get off at least 1 point-blank "shotgun" blast. While the whole draw-back to a shotgun is the time it takes for you to close-in to your target and since the lerk nearly negates that draw-back, prehaps it might be too good.

I know I really enjoyed the hit-'n-run style of play the lerk provided, but I can't really think of any way with spikes that would be like that. Maybe the spikes could just be another melee attack (stabbing/piercing/ramming) with an alt fire of a weak mid-range attack spread attack with the power of an LMG, but the spread of a HMG? Basicly it should be a weak mid-range attack that has low accuracy to discourage long-range use and low damage to hopefully discourage point-blank use (use the melee attack instead).
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    My guess is spikes will work as a short-ranged machine gun.

Lots of spread, maybe even damage fall-off/bullet drop, and you don't fire a huge chunk of damage all at once. Instead, a moderate amount of damage in quick spurts.

You have to get close and stay close while firing, or come back around for another run.
  • SwampRatSwampRat Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13369Members
    I got a bit more worried by the suggested treatment of the rag-doll personally, although worries about the spikes being a return to dull camping with the lerk are fair it seems. If you can have a lerk shoot a marine 10 times (for example) whilst the marine is alive and he'll stand there an take it, but an identical 11th shot will suddenly have the momentum to throw the body to a wall and pin in there, just because it happened to kill the marine doesn't make sense.

Now, if firing a spike is a huge event (e.g. it throws the lerk in the other direction to conserve momentum etc) and always knocks the marine a lot, possibly even getting him ever so gently stuck to nearby walls (any movement should free it) then it stops being quite so out of place to affect the rag-doll. I can't see that happening though.
  • PSAPSA Join Date: 2009-10-21 Member: 69107Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1736382:date=Nov 5 2009, 07:17 PM:name=SwampRat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SwampRat @ Nov 5 2009, 07:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736382"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now, if firing a spike is a huge event (e.g. it throws the lerk in the other direction to conserve momentum etc) and always knocks the marine a lot, possibly even getting him ever so gently stuck to nearby walls (any movement should free it) then it stops being quite so out of place to affect the rag-doll. I can't see that happening though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That sounds a bit overkill. I think a good middle-ground is if the spikes had some sort of stopping power (and fired slowly. I really dislike the idea of a machine gun lerk. That just sounds dumb, and impractical, but thats just me), that way the marine really "felt" getting hit, instead of just losing health. Then, this would lend itself to pinning the marine against the wall (if hes close enough to it) once he actually dies. I think messing with the lerk momentum thing is just something that doesn't need to be touched.

I always thought Dystopia does it quite well with the Boltgun. When you get hit with it, it certaintly feels like a heavy hit, and you occasionally get pinned to walls if you're close enough to them (no flying across rooms 15 feet to the wall of course now)
  • KwilKwil Join Date: 2003-07-06 Member: 17963Members
    Also in favor of the Lerk shot-gun style. A long cool-down, very wide spreading short-range attack. Make it so that individual spikes do little damage and the spikes spread very wide very quickly and you'll need to be extremely close to do major damage to any one marine -- that way you'll encourage the dive bombing run to take a marine out, but from a distance a lerk can still be a deterrent, and groups of them firing together become very nasty.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    edited November 2009
    I'd like a volley-style spike attack. Hold down attack and release to release a volley of spikes (think TF2 Medic needler with a charge-up). Holding down requires adrenaline, and once held down your total adrenaline is capped at that defecit. This would keep a bit of skill in the Lerk while still allowing less skilled players to use him safely from distance.

E.g.

Players taps fire:
    - Spike volley of duration 0.3s is fired
    - 20% Adrenaline is consumed immediately

Player holds down fire:
    - Spike volley charges
    - 20% Adrenaline is consumed immediately and continues to drain at +10% Adrenaline per second

Player holds down fire indefinitely:
    - After 2s, Spike volley is fully charged and is ready for release at whatever time
    - After 2s, Adrenaline maximum is now 60% (40% has been consumed by the Spike Volley charge)
    //- (option1) Using Lerk flight to consume Adrenaline beyond 60% cancels the charge to free up the remaining 40% of the total Adrenaline
    //- (option2) Lerk cannot beat wings beyond 60% of Adrenaline (as 40% is being 'held' by the Spike Volley charge)

Player releases fire after 2s:
    - A Spike Volley fires for a duration of 1 second

N.B. Spike Volley is projectile-based, not hitscan (meaning you can more easily dodge incoming attacks if shot from distance).

So the skill would be in managing your flight adrenaline against your Spike Volley adrenaline, avoiding enemy fire and getting in close for concentrated bursts of fire that the enemy cannot really avoid. Spammy attacks give less bang for buck, with charged attacks being more economical but consuming more Adrenaline and leaving less Adrenaline for flight and other abilities. Risk-reward system = fun gameplay.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    I like the shotgun idea of one big powerful blast and not the annoying whittle-down method that the NS1 lerk has. Could definitely make the Lerk an extremely effective flanking unit.
  • senor_hybridosenor_hybrido Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67687Members
    I have an idea. Give lerks Xenocide! That would be closer to its namesake (divine wind) than exploding puppies!
  • innocivinnociv Join Date: 2009-11-05 Member: 69280Members
    Why not have the projectiles lose speed and drop over range, doing less damage as they lose speed?
    Then you can't shoot really far, as you can only aim up so high and will hit ceiling trying to get the right arc, and damage is lower.

A shotgun or volley combined with that wouldn't be bad either, though, doesn't matter to me.
  • PhiXXPhiXX Join Date: 2008-10-22 Member: 65274Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1736635:date=Nov 7 2009, 01:45 PM:name=innociv)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (innociv @ Nov 7 2009, 01:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736635"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Why not have the projectiles lose speed and drop over range, doing less damage as they lose speed?
    Then you can't shoot really far, as you can only aim up so high and will hit ceiling trying to get the right arc, and damage is lower.

A shotgun or volley combined with that wouldn't be bad either, though, doesn't matter to me.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sorry, but imo arcs are the worst idea. If the spike wouldnt even fly 15 meters straight, then it would be weaker than a blowgun -.-

I fear the lerk losing his rampage potential. let's see how they will work it out...