The Lerk

2»

Comments

• spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    I support Crispy's idea.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    The one problem I see with this is how would they damage structures? Are the spikes going to do decent damage? Currently a lurk can actually be pretty good at rushing in and taking out a obs in the beginning of the game and then taking off, thus delaying early tech.
  • alephaleph Join Date: 2007-10-12 Member: 62620Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735023:date=Oct 31 2009, 10:23 AM:name=Jiriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jiriki @ Oct 31 2009, 10:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735023"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I vote for pancaking. The really fancy side of post 2.0 lerk is that it is half-time close combat which requires lots of vertical aerial control and ability to avoid bullets in the air while trying to hit the marine. In the sense, its like a dive bomber. Currently all lifeforms (in NS1) are very versatile and unique, and demanding on many fronts, which I hope we can have in NS2 too.

Spikes will likely make the lerk in sit some corridor and just keep on firing the marines which doesn't take any more skill than sporing (which is of course very useful, but functionality-wise identical). Now anyone with brains can spore-lerk, but being effective in close combat requires talent. Of course I don't how it will work out in the end, but I'm not excited about this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

EXCELLENT post, he said what I think more eloquently than I could have. I second these ideas deeply as someone who's played in competitive leagues and pub since 2002.

reading this triggered some kind of addictive itch and caused me to load up NS and play a few rounds as lerk.
  • La ChupacabraLa Chupacabra Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63729Members
    edited November 2009
    I hope that Lerk will be in the next alien "reveal", but I'm afraid that the new Lerk is not really polished yet (they normally released new info just after tweeting about it, this time it looks like they can't make up their minds about it).

God, if they change spikes shooting mode to shotgun-like then it will be the happiest day of my life. My favorite gun merged with my favorite alien class :o

Even if that's not what UWE has in mind, one thing is certain - it can't be a full-auto, low-damage type shooting mode as it was in early NS1 if bite is removed (and no other "primary attack" implemented). That would make Lerk unplayable for an average player (as it was mentioned before, attacking would incredibly limit Lerk's mobility, its only defense). Also, having Lerk's spikes nailing marines to the walls like in Painkiller/Predator franchise, it would look ridiculously stupid if a few first spikes don't visibly affect the marine at all and the last one would deal such a punch that it would send him flying and nailing him to the wall.

Argh, can't wait to find out..
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    I'm happy to get spikes back. The lerk wasn't itself anymore after losing them.
  • WirheWirhe Join Date: 2003-06-22 Member: 17610Members
    Pancaking was fun for a while until you realized that it worked only against targets that didn't have a good aim. Throw in one such person and lerk became obsolete while still costing a good amount of resources. At the same time it was very frustrating for the average marine, because one good lerk could lock down an entire team.

Which made games about solo heroes (those who can aim vs. those who can dive) instead of team effort.
  • tjosantjosan Join Date: 2003-05-16 Member: 16374Members, Constellation
    That's just not true though. It scales both ways. A very good lerk can time his attacks and move well enough to still attack marines with good aim.
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    Pancaking only works against really bad players.

Take note, I was the one who abused it the next day for NS1 a match in NA on a pre-season beta map where I literally went 30 minutes pancaking up and down while shooting spores+umbra. I only died once, but I just Lerked again cause I had soo much RES from kills. (This happened when they made it cost 0 adrenaline to flap wings as Lerk.)

Like 2-4 days after that match, they patched Lerk flight so it uses adrenaline.

Where is Ritto and Embarko to back me up. =D

Actually, that might of been when sP' was still |-YcSp-|, so... =)
  • MrGunnerMrGunner Join Date: 2003-01-03 Member: 11757Members, Constellation
    Jmms is the best player ever and he told me lerks should stay in vents and only spore so you guys are all stupid and should listen to him okay.