New name for Dynamic Infestation.

123457»

Comments

• SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1732676:date=Oct 18 2009, 09:50 AM:name=wilbefast)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wilbefast @ Oct 18 2009, 09:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732676"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- "Don't ask don't tell sir.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I lol'ed.

<!--quoteo(post=1732676:date=Oct 18 2009, 09:50 AM:name=wilbefast)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wilbefast @ Oct 18 2009, 09:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732676"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Xenoplasm (Foreign/Alien Growth)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My new favourite. Except my own suggestion: Gunk.

Then again, Xenoplasm is the egghead term, gunk is the jarhead term.
  • GDWhiteGDWhite Join Date: 2009-07-17 Member: 68170Members
    Man, I had this idea; Infestation.
    The name alone gives you a hint as to how it works.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just added "Bulge" to the document.

BULimic Gorge Excretion ;)
  • GDWhiteGDWhite Join Date: 2009-07-17 Member: 68170Members
    "Commander, there's some bulge growth in South sector."

Rofl, but nothnx.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1732185:date=Oct 14 2009, 11:02 AM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Oct 14 2009, 11:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732185"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about "Khar."

The Kharaa Tar.

"KT" or "KR" is spreading.

Seeing how it's the base form of the Kharaa infestation so it could work..

Unless you want to call it KI. Which everyone would think of DragonBall.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I actually like "K.I.". Short and descriptive when you want it to be (EG, when you want to sound like a badass TSA Marine), and expandable when you have time to talk. Rooms that are overrun with Infestation, or perhaps territory recently cleared of marines and marine buildings and replaced with Infestation and chambers quickly could even be called "K.I.A.". Sounds cool and makes sense.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    "Infest" as a verb is still completely appropriate and probably won't go away...
    but one of these short nouns is probably best for field usage (like growth)

"cargo bay is infested, commander."
    "Well then grab a torch and start clearing that growth."

Names like Khrap or Khrud don't fit in the traditional Kharaa naming patterns...the names are typically functional, like skulk or lerk
    and what's with all the long names?

I don't think it's a cause for worry that infestation is being used elsewhere...it's a common enough descriptive term (not something unique like Zerg)...nobody has copyright on "machine gun" (as someone pointed out earlier)...and besides, it's been called infestation since NS1 (7 years? certainly long before SC2 was announced)
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1731937:date=Oct 13 2009, 05:38 AM:name=RikkAndrsn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RikkAndrsn @ Oct 13 2009, 05:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731937"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->These are still marines we're talking about, let's not kid ourselves. They're obviously going to simply call it crap.

Ex:

How's that for a simple name?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ROFL :D i think this is the best one as really players might just call it crap
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1732874:date=Oct 19 2009, 11:18 PM:name=monopolowa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (monopolowa @ Oct 19 2009, 11:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732874"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think it's a cause for worry that infestation is being used elsewhere...it's a common enough descriptive term (not something unique like Zerg)...nobody has copyright on "machine gun" (as someone pointed out earlier)...and besides, it's been called infestation since NS1 (7 years? certainly long before SC2 was announced)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i agree, i think its stupid that they want to change the name of infestation because its being used in another game... and no offense to all the contributors but the names ive seen thus far are pretty terrible. I vote keep infestation

Edit:

or re-name it "Dank" :P
  • metzGRRmetzGRR Join Date: 2009-10-16 Member: 69054Members
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like Spoil. It rolls off the tongue easily, can be used as a verb, the imagery is fitting and it sounds like a name the marines would come up with(like the other alien names).
  • fartrangerfartranger Join Date: 2009-10-21 Member: 69101Members
    edited October 2009
    Infestations must be purged:) I choose infestations.
  • CruorCruor Join Date: 2004-11-07 Member: 32677Members
    edited October 2009
    How about the spanish word for "growth" = Medra.

I think it rings true off the tongue and sounds like it's in pretty close relationship to the name pool of skulk, lerk, gorge, onos, fade.
    The word medra also stands for "accretion" which is the defining word for something that gradually grows in size by the addition of smaller parts (hive, infestation, chambers)

Plus the lore back story of how the name started getting used as a standard is pretty easy enough. A Frontiersman with a latino inclination of creation :)
    would have simply blurted it out and it caught on.

/Enactment

Commander: Move to your waypoint, soldier. We need a recon of Hangarbay B

Marine Carlos: Done deal sir! Damn it's dark in here, powergrid must be down sir!

Commander: Got squad 1 doing repairs in the adjacent corridor, stand by.

*light flickers on and the room is covered with infestation*

Marine Carlos: AYE DIOS MIO! What the hell is all this MEDRA, you better have a look at my helmet cam commander.

/End Enactment

Or something like that I know it sucks but best I could do in my half awake half asleep state.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    I am going to the idea of the infestation simply called the "Layer". Phonetically, it sounds similar to "Lair" and that ambiguity gives a dual purpose to the name. It means a growth over the terrain and that it is the home of the Aliens.
  • wilbefastwilbefast Join Date: 2009-10-18 Member: 69079Members
    edited October 2009
    A lot of these suggestions sound rather... comical. Especially the acronyms. Is this intentional? :-S

Bof, anyway, I like Accretion, Excretion, Secretion... might be a bit too general though: you want something that has the right imagery *without* being already associated with the mundane. A variant of Infestation would be Colony, though you don't get the same menacing edge... Spoil is nice (though not to be confused with "Spoils"), makes me think... Canker? Callus? Callous? The beauty of the English language (unlike French) is that you can turn verbs into nouns: Spread for example.

I'm thinking of playing around with the word "Noxious" (Fr: "Nocive") which has got the root "Hurt/Slaughter/Death" (Nocere/Nex/Nek). There's also "Nyx", Goddess of night - all nice imaginary. The important thing is that most of the Western world understand Greek and Latin at a subconscious level, so you can make very punchy names. It's unfortunate that "Nox" is already the name of party-drug (NOS/Nitros Oxide/Laughing Gas). Any ideas?
    Or you could go with Skin = "Cutis"? Nah... too cutie sounding...

Coincidently I don't actually speak Latin or Greek, not really ;P

<!--quoteo(post=1732774:date=Oct 19 2009, 01:11 PM:name=Silverwing)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Silverwing @ Oct 19 2009, 01:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732774"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Xenoplasm is the egghead term, gunk is the jarhead term.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The jarheads could always just call it "Xeno", as in "there's Xeno everywhere!"

<!--quoteo(post=1732874:date=Oct 20 2009, 12:18 AM:name=monopolowa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (monopolowa @ Oct 20 2009, 12:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732874"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Names like Khrap or Khrud don't fit in the traditional Kharaa naming patterns...the names are typically functional, like skulk or lerk
    and what's with all the long names?

I don't think it's a cause for worry that infestation is being used elsewhere...it's a common enough descriptive term (not something unique like Zerg)...nobody has copyright on "machine gun" (as someone pointed out earlier)...and besides, it's been called infestation since NS1 (7 years? certainly long before SC2 was announced)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I assumed Khrap and Khrud were joke suggestions. I mean, it's a play on words, it's comical, it actually means something (unlike 'Cara') and it has all the wrong connotations. As for the actual change - I figure if the devs want to change the name you might as well try to think of a good substitute. Infestation's fine by me - I'm only quoting the original verse.
  • CattablissCattabliss Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66803Members
    I will be calling it crap regardless of what it's named. Just like the glowies. Were we actually planning on calling them nymphs? Seriously?

Its gross, its slime, call it crap.

It glows and floats, a glowie.
  • DoppyDoppy Join Date: 2006-11-15 Member: 58624Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I like "infestation" the best. Pretty easy to abbreviate too: Just simply "Inf". People will automatically know what you're talking about.
  • KwilKwil Join Date: 2003-07-06 Member: 17963Members
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1733592:date=Oct 22 2009, 11:53 PM:name=Doppy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Doppy @ Oct 22 2009, 11:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733592"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like "infestation" the best. Pretty easy to abbreviate too: Just simply "Inf". People will automatically know what you're talking about.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, no.. the abbreviation is "Fest".

As in, "Aw crap, Dan just got 'fest'ed."
    And, "Commander, it's looking pretty festive down here, we're gonna need some fireworks for the party."
    And, "Mining hall is starting to 'fester commander.. looks like it's coming in from B tunnel."
    And, "Uh oh.. 'fest coming in from toward power station. Better move or it's lights out!"

Or from the alien's side;

"Guys, I'm making the hive room festive!"
    and "Fest going up in their power station, I'll get a spiker up in a moment"
    and "Shoot. We need some fest in C Tunnel. Any Gorges have a load they want to drop?"
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    "Commander, it's looking pretty festive down here, we're gonna need some fireworks for the party."

I really like that :D
    <!--quoteo(post=1733534:date=Oct 22 2009, 10:32 PM:name=Cattabliss)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cattabliss @ Oct 22 2009, 10:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733534"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It glows and floats, a glowie.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've got to admit, I much prefer glowie to nymph :)

<!--quoteo(post=1733700:date=Oct 23 2009, 08:02 PM:name=Kwil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kwil @ Oct 23 2009, 08:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733700"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Guys, I'm making the hive room festive!"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lol XD
  • 1mannARMEE1mannARMEE Join Date: 2008-09-23 Member: 65064Members
    With those nice wordplays I vote for fest :)

Also nice for the german players as party means Fest in german :P
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1731887:date=Oct 12 2009, 11:41 PM:name=NeoSniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoSniper @ Oct 12 2009, 11:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731887"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I see you point, but I still think we should steer clear.

Anyway it doesn't sound good anyway. There's much better suggestions out there.

I also just thought of Over Growth. With growth and OG being the shorter nicknames. Goes well with that running theme in NS where almost everything has a two letter nickname (GL, HA, JP, MS, PG, OC, DC, SC, MC, RT, TF, etc.)

Marines: "We got Ohgee here!" or "this room is about to get OG'd!"

Gorge: "Dropping OG in holo, need backup."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Only if the OG comes with phat beats and ice on his fingers.
  • palliepallie Join Date: 2009-10-12 Member: 69028Members
    Dynamic innfestation, short DI is my favorite. Then fest and infestation:)
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1733521:date=Oct 22 2009, 08:05 PM:name=wilbefast)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wilbefast @ Oct 22 2009, 08:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I assumed Khrap and Khrud were joke suggestions.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Correct. But they are still better than 99% of the other suggestions that ignore the common english definitions of words - example: "fest" is not just german for "party", its a word any native english speaker will also associate with "party," "extravaganza" etc. which is not the implication you are looking for when talking about alien fungal infestation.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    But 'fest' could also be short for festering. Which does give the implication of alien fungal growth. Thats why its such a good name, because if your on the marine side it means "Fester" and if your on the aliens it means "Party"...because as we all know, its not a Kharaa party with some fest :D
    <!--quoteo(post=1734302:date=Oct 28 2009, 11:38 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Oct 28 2009, 11:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734302"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Only if the OG comes with phat beats and ice on his fingers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

to reiterate, Over Growth is unfortunately not the best choice of name:
    <a href="http://www.wolfire.com/" target="_blank">http://www.wolfire.com/</a>