New name for Dynamic Infestation.

Comments

• a_civiliana_civilian Likes seeing numbers Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12041Members, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead
    Another remark. A lot of people are suggesting names with negative connotations, such as disease- or death-related names. The Kharaa aren't "evil". The Bacterium spread to some human structure by chance and now the Kharaa are just fighting for survival. (That, in my understanding, is the point of the name "Natural Selection" - both sides are, in some sense, just fighting to survive.) Certainly the frontiersmen could well consider the Kharaa "evil", and thus a negative name is not unrealistic. Nevertheless the name used in the game will influence player perceptions, and the players shouldn't consider the Kharaa evil. (Keep in mind that the same name will be used by alien side as well.)
  • ArcadianArcadian Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65617Members
    edited November 2010
    Why don't we continue calling it dynamic infestation?
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1732200:date=Oct 14 2009, 06:51 PM:name=a_civilian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (a_civilian @ Oct 14 2009, 06:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732200"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->(Keep in mind that the same name will be used by alien side as well.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Should it?
  • SnarKsSnarKs Join Date: 2009-05-31 Member: 67584Members
    I cant wait to play this game with a bunch of you guys, everyone is going to have their own term they are going to be yelling out. >.<
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1732200:date=Oct 14 2009, 12:51 PM:name=a_civilian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (a_civilian @ Oct 14 2009, 12:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732200"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Another remark. A lot of people are suggesting names with negative connotations, such as disease- or death-related names. The Kharaa aren't "evil". The Bacterium spread to some human structure by chance and now the Kharaa are just fighting for survival. (That, in my understanding, is the point of the name "Natural Selection" - both sides are, in some sense, just fighting to survive.) Certainly the frontiersmen could well consider the Kharaa "evil", and thus a negative name is not unrealistic. Nevertheless the name used in the game will influence player perceptions, and the players shouldn't consider the Kharaa evil. (Keep in mind that the same name will be used by alien side as well.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Skulk, lerk, and gorge all have mildly negative connotations. That said, names of deadly diseases, acronyms that spell out minced oaths, and anything overly gross are probably not good choices.

My favorite so far is bloom, as in algae bloom.
  • NortonNorton Join Date: 2005-01-13 Member: 35264Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1732195:date=Oct 14 2009, 11:23 AM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Oct 14 2009, 11:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732195"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not exactly. Xeno means "foreign" in latin. "Foreign Death" sounds ok, I guess, but "zeno-necks" and "necks" sounds silly IMHO.
    But the idea of a foreign invasive entity is solid.... Xenomoss? Xenomold? Xenospore? Xenomatrix? Xenoresin? Xenopolin? Xenomass? Xenocolony? Xenoslime? Xenophage?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Out of all the suggestions I've read, 'Xenomass' is the only made up word that doesn't piss me off. 'Infestation' and 'growth' are great because they are real and accurate words, but they are a little generic I guess. Xenomass sounds cool I think. Not perfect but I bet we could get used to it.
  • DullgarianDullgarian Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4236Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1732218:date=Oct 14 2009, 03:07 PM:name=Norton)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Norton @ Oct 14 2009, 03:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732218"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Out of all the suggestions I've read, 'Xenomass' is the only made up word that doesn't piss me off.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Same for me. Xenomass sounds great and reminds me some terms already use in ns1: xenoform and xenocide!

+1 !
    In a real game i can honestly say that id probably say "######, they got that green ###### all over in here", and not " Sector B has Xenomass in it Commander".
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    Xenomass could work, and is easy to say it/understand in other languages.
    +10 to it.

For me it's equal to Symbioma as a perfect word. It could be used with other words to make it more complete:

Xenomass Leak
    Xenomass Slym
    Xenomass Cheese
    Xenomass Crap
    Xenomass ...

growth have a -1000000, it can't be pronounced correctly in other languages, and like in spanish, if you translat it it sound idiot.
    i think you sound dumb for calling it xenomass, theirs my 2 cents :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1732239:date=Oct 14 2009, 07:08 PM:name=SnarKs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SnarKs @ Oct 14 2009, 07:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732239"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i think you sound dumb for calling it xenomass, theirs my 2 cents :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Your nick name here is SnarKs and you say that? lol, funny
    <!--quoteo(post=1732240:date=Oct 14 2009, 02:10 PM:name=PaiSand)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PaiSand @ Oct 14 2009, 02:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732240"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Your nick name here is SnarKs and you say that? lol, funny<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1732213:date=Oct 14 2009, 02:40 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Oct 14 2009, 02:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732213"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Skulk, lerk, and gorge all have mildly negative connotations.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Couldn't you say that 'siege tank' and 'flamethower' all have 'mildly negative connotations' as well?

I don't see anything negative about 'skulk.' In NS, the skulk is a lifeform that needs to be stealthy and ambush to be effective. Skulk is a verb that means: "to move in a stealthy manner; slink: The panther skulked through the bush." I just see that as an accurate description of the lifeform. Kind of like how a flamethower throws flames on something.
  • edkrstedkrst Join Date: 2009-09-11 Member: 68748Members
    Gorge Grass! *******

Just imagine gorges sliding and scampering through the grass.
  • whocareswcwhocareswc Join Date: 2007-07-31 Member: 61735Members
    this is a retarded thread.. it will be called what ever is easiest to say or easiest to remember ie. infestation
    The thing is that they don't want to use the same name that is used in other game. No matter it refers to something similar or different. The idea is to come up with a good name that can be used ingame.

Dynamic infestation is the technical name for something that will be called different ingame. And as other things got his own name used by the community to refer to, they wanted to do something like that but using that name as a formal name ingame. I don't know if I am clear or not.

And could be good to have a name that reminds you from NS1, like xenoform, xenocide, you can call it Xenomass. And if you add another word to it could be better too, then you have 2 words to name it ingame with no confusion.

Xenomass Infestation
    Xenomass Leak
    Xenomass Slym
    Xenomass Yourface
  • sicbudsicbud Join Date: 2009-07-08 Member: 68083Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1732247:date=Oct 14 2009, 05:04 PM:name=whocareswc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (whocareswc @ Oct 14 2009, 05:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732247"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->this is a retarded thread.. it will be called what ever is easiest to say or easiest to remember ie. infestation<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or maybe the devs want a different name and created this thread along with the google doc to see other peoples ideas?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We need a different name for Dynamic Infestation. It should be quick and easy to say in-game, and it should be able to refer to other Alien technology (upgrades, structures, etc.). I'd love to have something monosyllabic and it should probably be named in a fashion that marines would use it. Also, I just noticed that "infestation" is used in Starcraft 2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Try not to be so rude next time.
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    Best solution... release the alpha and see what name becomes more popular once alpha is out.

<!--quoteo(post=1732247:date=Oct 14 2009, 07:04 PM:name=whocareswc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (whocareswc @ Oct 14 2009, 07:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732247"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->this is a retarded thread.. it will be called what ever is easiest to say or easiest to remember ie. infestation<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Hey! The devs asked for this. Don't you follow the twitter?

<!--quoteo(post=1732252:date=Oct 14 2009, 07:57 PM:name=sicbud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sicbud @ Oct 14 2009, 07:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732252"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or maybe the devs want a different name and created this thread along with the google doc to see other peoples ideas?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I actually started this thread (not a dev, I wish!). I started this because the google doc was a mess. This is still kind of a mess but at least stuff is not been deleted left a right and the context is all in order.

I think aside from <b>Infestation. Growth</b>, and <b>Xenomass</b> are winning. Xenomass being more popular for the Xeno part. So, I think...

<b>XenoGrowth</b> is a good suggestion easy to say and easy to shorten to two letters "xg" for chat. And one syllable for voice chat "growth".

<b>Infestation Growth</b> might allow the same advantages while also keeping the ever popular infestation. Having "ig" as the short hand version might even cause players to vocalize ig which may also work.
    Again, think more away from your nose. You can't use growth as name because people from other parts of the world can't pronounce it correctly. You need a name that can be say easy for as many people you can, and if can be translated, it have to not sound ridiculous.

Growth in spanish is silly (crecimiento), means nothing about what the infestation is. You need a name that identify what that is, no much explanations about, and can be read and understand all over the world (or the majority).

Xenomass is excellent, no need to translate, it says what that is, can be read and say it correctly by many languages. An exception is in serbian, the x sounds like h in english (hahaha - xaxaxa) but there is no problem with it. In spanish it sounds the same but the e. In portuguese and italian is the same as in spanish. And in other languages I think it's the same thing.
  • CricketCricket Join Date: 2009-05-31 Member: 67603Members
    I thought they were going for short and sweet with the name, though. I like how xenomass sounds, but I thought they were preferring something one syllable. And it was going to be used in various upgrades/whatever for commanders, and I'm not really sure putting xenomass in front of everything works. That's just me, though.
  • rots~o~ragrots~o~rag Join Date: 2009-07-16 Member: 68163Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1732195:date=Oct 14 2009, 09:23 AM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Oct 14 2009, 09:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732195"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not exactly. Xeno means "foreign" in latin. "Foreign Death" sounds ok, I guess, but "zeno-necks" and "necks" sounds silly IMHO.
    But the idea of a foreign invasive entity is solid.... Xenomoss? Xenomold? Xenospore? Xenomatrix? Xenoresin? Xenopolin? Xenomass? Xenocolony? Xenoslime? Xenophage?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

not exactly...xeno = stange in greek.....have a nice day.....
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gingivitus!!!

But in all seriousness, I think leaving it as infestation is the wisest choice. The term Dynamic infestation basically refers to the technical side of how the infestation works within the engine for NS2.

But let's think deep for a second to think of some more suggestions. Do the Kharaa live on this stuff? As in is it their nutrients? Or is it just to expand for chambers, is it for creating traps for the marines, making difficult passages, etc? Let's think for a moment.

In my view, I see it as home turf for the Aliens. I can imagine the Alien Hivemind/Alien Commanders now calling it Turf, or something like "Our "Land" is dying." (Sort of thinking in terms of CoH when you lose your Kraut units, the commander voice says something like, "they died for the father land.) But the Marines wouldn't want to call it "Land" of course. They would call it something totally different. They would just see it as a goo-like substance that is infesting the perimiter.

I think it's best to think on terms of how it really connects with the Kharaa. Think in terms of how real life mass producing insects create their nests and such, and try to live and breathe off of it. Or look at some photos of actual bacteria that spreads rapidly, or Moss.

I'm not a fan of Xenomass. It's just something that sounds silly. I mean yea there's Xenocide, but that's more something a term the Marines would use, not so much the Aliens, and you never hear the Hivemind say xenocide, just the Alien players. I'm guessing NS2 is going to be more atmospheric, and make the Aliens feel believable, just as they did in NS1, but like 100 times more.

Growth is good, but I find it a bit weak still.

My suggestion is either just use Infestation, or Turf...moreso Infestation.

My 2 cents.
  • PseudoKnightPseudoKnight Join Date: 2002-06-18 Member: 791Members
    Use whatever people start calling it in alpha/beta.
  • darktimesdarktimes Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63247Members
    growth.

"commander, theres growth in holodeck."

growth is the most fitting for me. its a generic, easy to understand word, its descripes what it does and reminds of a living, growing presence. its alien in spaceships and stations, where everything is clean and metal, its a short word, easy to use and not tinted by negative or positive impliments like creep or stupidly over-alienized like xeno-cheese.
    infestation would be the official term, looking at the vid tells me that this stuff grows, that it grown on that place and spreads now, it doesn't creep forward, a snail creeps. not Infestation

what would marines say to that when they come into a room?

"what the ######? what is that stuff?"
    "whatever it is, its growing."
    "shut up and bring the flamers. that growth blocks the door."

THE POINT OF WORLD WIDE ACCESS IS INVALID:

its a excuse to enforce your xenomass. look: there are billions of english words that are not translated into their home language, for good reason. do you think a korean will call a starcraft spacemarine something different then spacemarine? no. its a frigging name. its like calling Hans (german) JACK when he comes to england! (that actually translates like that.) anyway, if serbians or chinese can't simply spell a single, one sound word without problems then frankly they shouldn't bother with it and frigging TYPE IT.
    when they have a discussion at home then they can translate or spell it wrong all they want, its not our business.

im not going to argue further with you in that matter, that is my own opinion, and you don't have the rights to criticize it. huh. long post.

anyway..

GRASS EVERYONE?
  • chopperchopper Join Date: 2009-05-29 Member: 67537Members
    Ok, here are few more for the devs (if they do read these forums).
    These name suggestions came from the association of the infestation with a "foreign" biofilm (sort of structure). In short they are: BIOX or BHIOX.
    And since most biofilms contain a matrix made of: extracellular polymeric substances, the acronim is EPS (another suggested name).

PS: The biofilm analogy kinda fits with the "natural selection" theme because they (biofilms) are the survival mode of growth for most prokaryotes (bacteria)
    PS2: Ultimately, I think people will call them something simple like slime or gunk.
  • 7th.Wrath7th.Wrath Join Date: 2008-05-31 Member: 64363Members
    Let the players decide. Humans will create their own slang for it within a few weeks of the alpha release.
  • TullTull Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33443Members
    edited October 2009
    I really hope the Devs doesn't listen to the community too much and instead pick what name they think fit rather than what we vote for. Suggestions are fine to use or get inspired by for them, but community voting will probably make it a name that sticks out from the rest of the glossary.
    Oh, and cut all the crappy half made up words. The ones who names it is probably the ones who's first on scen, not some scientist/linguist but a soldier.
    -"Hey I read this latin course at the university and I wanna use this new word I learned. Nex. lets name it that" is not something a typical marine would say.
    -"Hmm, green alien stuff. Lets call it Shoffluumbonambieshoompalåmänökü"

Oh, and for 'nex'. The growing stuff is life, not death. Its not poisonus (afaik), doesn't shot out spikes and doesnt suffocate you. It's only interrupts electrical equipment and such. Same with all the disease-oriented words. Its more related to a plant or fungus so I suggest we use something more related to that. Atleast a more down to earth word.
    Like fungus, bloom, roots, infestation (no way in h*ll blizzard got monopoly on this word), weeds, grass, growth, plants, field, infection (or maybe not), moss, spread, branches, mushroom/shroom, bush etc. Any of these could work with a prefix like alien, khaara, spreading, green, hive, bacteria, your mamas etc.

[edit] oh, and if some wierd, messy word is picked, I'm probably just gonna call it 'crap'. Might do that anyway since its a short and usefull word :D
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    I bet it could asphyxiate you though.
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    Please keep the discussion lighthearted we are just having some fun here coming up with ideas and inpirations. Not really going to reach any decisions here.

We need Alpha or a "meet the dynamic infestation" video (with updated visuals and describing gameplay features around DI). I want to know a bit more about what DI is and if it's nourishing for the aliens.

<!--quoteo(post=1732277:date=Oct 15 2009, 01:22 AM:name=Crispix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispix @ Oct 15 2009, 01:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732277"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...
    But let's think deep for a second to think of some more suggestions. Do the Kharaa live on this stuff? As in is it their nutrients, so faster healing & mana regen? Or is it just to expand for chambers, is it for creating traps for the marines, making difficult passages, etc? Let's think for a moment.
    I think it's best to think on terms of how it really connects with the Kharaa. Think in terms of how real life mass producing insects create their nests and such, and try to live and breathe off of it. Or look at some photos of actual bacteria that spreads rapidly, or Moss.

I'm not a fan of Xenomass. It's just something that sounds silly. I mean yea there's Xenocide, but that's more something a term the Marines would use, not so much the Aliens, and you never hear the Hivemind say xenocide, just the Alien players. I'm guessing NS2 is going to be more atmospheric, and make the Aliens feel believable, just as they did in NS1, but like 100 times more.

Growth is good, but I find it a bit weak still.

My suggestion is either just use Infestation, or Turf...moreso Infestation.

My 2 cents.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like your angle. I usually try to think of infested rooms more like murky jungle settings. With the DI being like a mix between jungle and forest floor. Like under<b>growth</b> with moss but also vein like roots. In which case a name like Turf sounds good from both sides. From aliens it like their home and for humans its like just some alien landscaping.

I like Xenomass and Infestation but they are both catering to the human point of view. Growth is the best but needs a first name.

More brainstorming
    (used for creation) The forge
    (initial alien presence) The fore, as in foreshadow... or Foregrowth...
    (The DI can also represent the frontlines) So mixing these or morphing them might be fun to try. border, boundary, bounds, brim, brink, fringe, hem, limit, perimeter.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    I am a big fan of carpet.
    Most marine terms are 'Call it as i see it'

Crud
    Carpet
    Shag

yeah i know about the other meaning
    but have you ever seen shag carpet....it looks like a dynamic infestation. :-)

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shag_(fabric)" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shag_(fabric)</a>

Commander we have wall to wall shag in here.