New name for Dynamic Infestation.

Comments

• glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    I don't really see what's wrong with dynamic infestation?

in-game you would just say "DI" instead of the full thing. Kind of like the same as peple saying "HMG", "GL" etc.

keep DI!

But if you are super stubborn about it I think infestation is the best idea.
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    Cancer or AIDS it's a nasty bad analogy.
    The best thing is to came out with an invented word, or a word in a language that can be say in many languages with no problem and the people can know exactly what it is.

I came with the word Slym, but it say nothing about what that thing is. And I just saw a word that fits this: Symbioma (Symbiont Biological Mass). You can use only that one or mix it with other words in the list.

Examples:

Symbioma Slym
    Symbioma Cheese
    Symbioma Slime
    Symbioma Root
    Symbioma Mud
    Symbioma Mold
    Symbioma Leak
    Symbioma Infestation
    Symbioma Gush
    Symbioma Fud
    Symbioma Feast
    Symbioma Flow
    Symbioma Spill
    Symbioma Drool

Using 2 words let you use either of them and anyone will understand you easily. Also, the second word can be translated to other languages or not.
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1731932:date=Oct 13 2009, 03:57 AM:name=PaiSand)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PaiSand @ Oct 13 2009, 03:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731932"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Cancer or AIDS it's a nasty bad analogy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Calling it "Cancer" would make sense. Calling it "AIDS" would be silly and distasteful. Let's not lump those into one category, thanks. ;)

<!--quoteo(post=1731896:date=Oct 12 2009, 11:59 PM:name=Revenge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Revenge @ Oct 12 2009, 11:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731896"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It may be appropriate for a marine soundbite to compare infestation with cancer, but it is not appropriate for the official name to actually be cancer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The google doc said it should be named in a fashion that marines would call it. It could still be officially named "Dynamic Infestation" and be called "Cancer" wherever it needs to be written / said in game. I don't get why you all are so quick to dismiss the idea. :o

Anyway, realistically, I think "Infestation" or "Growth" would be better names, only because it would be more obvious to new players what is being referred to. I still like "Cancer", though. :p
  • M00_cowM00_cow Join Date: 2007-03-02 Member: 60180Members, Constellation
    I'm thinking Murk.

Cross between lurk and muk.
  • RikkAndrsnRikkAndrsn Join Date: 2009-06-07 Member: 67741Members
    These are still marines we're talking about, let's not kid ourselves. They're obviously going to simply call it crap.

Ex:
    <!--QuoteBegin-Marine+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Marine)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->What the ###### is this crap?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How's that for a simple name?
  • minibananaminibanana Join Date: 2009-09-03 Member: 68682Members
    Glenn Beck disease :P haha

GBD to be short :P
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Infestation is probably the best.
  • kastkast Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22791Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    infestation. itll eventually be called some other slang once people see it in action
  • KwilKwil Join Date: 2003-07-06 Member: 17963Members
    Personally, I like "mass".

Leads to exchanges like, "Commander, I'm gonna need a flamer, we've got some heavy mass here.."
    "How heavy?"
    "Black effin' hole"

or, "How's the room look soldier?"
    "Mass on the left, clear on the right.. looks like the gorge was only half-massed about it."
  • VendicatorVendicator Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43805Members, Constellation
    I like "splosh" or "reek"

It is very hard to come up with a word for it we can all agree on, but it is nice to get the community involved and getting them excited over such a small thing as a name!
  • a_civiliana_civilian Likes seeing numbers Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12041Members, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead
    As I see them the general naming styles of the Kharaa in NS are:

1) Reaction on first sight: Kharaa*, Onos.
    2) First impression of what it does, e.g. Skulk, Fade. Flayra's naming ideas at the top of the document generally fit under this, as does the popular "creep".
    3) Simple description, e.g. hive, chamber. Infestation and bloom, among others, would fit here.
    4) Actual function, e.g. resource chamber/tower, offense chamber.

There are no abbreviations, no made-up words (except misspellings that don't change pronunciation), no obscure biological terms. A lot of the suggestions that have appeared would break this consistency. I won't argue whether that's desirable; I just want to point it out as something to consider. Also, although there is one instance of a non-English word, it is not used in actual gameplay and all the names used in gameplay are English.

<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->(* "Kharaa" was supposed to mean something like "watch out" in Mongolian if I recall correctly. Unfortunately a lot of the old backstory texts are no longer to be found.)<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • craecrae Join Date: 2005-01-30 Member: 39035Members
    edited October 2009
    Some of the suggestions here are terrible. Sorry. Here's a test: Go into the real world, and describe the concept of 'Dynamic Infestation' to a random stranger using the following:

1. Dynamic Infestation
    2. A Slime that Spreads
    3. <Your Favorites>

Slime will win because everybody already understands what slime is. They don't have to be clued into some bizzare sub-cultural dialect to get the concept of slime. This is a good thing. Unfortunately, not many people here have bothered to really think about this, instead opting for a choice that may make you wet your pants with excitement, but will only draws blank stares form an average stranger. Yes, I'm looking at you Mr. 'Symbioma Cheese' and you Mr. 'Deuteromycotina' ... Try it if you don't agree.

Remember to think about lowering the learning curve, even at the expense of you own personal favorites. To me, this means using sensible everyday language to communicate the NS Universe.
  • VendicatorVendicator Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43805Members, Constellation
    I don't want everyone talking, yelling and running around screaming about slime and ooze... I don't want to feel like I am playing Ghostbusters online...
  • craecrae Join Date: 2005-01-30 Member: 39035Members
    edited October 2009
    >I don't want to feel like I am playing Ghostbusters online...

Have you been asleep and missed the preview footage? Don't know about you, but the last thing on my mind is ghostbusters. And even if it were, which it isn't, I probably wouldn't care if the gameplay and enjoyment is higher than NS1. One word will not dictate the feel of a game.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    We can't just call it infestation?
  • a_civiliana_civilian Likes seeing numbers Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12041Members, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't want everyone talking, yelling and running around screaming about slime and ooze... I don't want to feel like I am playing Ghostbusters online...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What do you think of people screaming about skulks, lerks, and fades? Honest question, as my first inclination is to agree with your sentiment but then I consider those examples.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We can't just call it infestation?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The main problem is that it's four syllables and can only be abbreviated to a minimum of two. But yes I certainly consider infestation to be a good choice purely for its familiarity.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
  • HisaoHisao Join Date: 2006-12-31 Member: 59349Members, Constellation
  • StinkyStinky Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63182Members
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    Its going to be called infestation.
  • DeeDee Canada Join Date: 2002-12-15 Member: 10836Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <i>Unbeknownst to the mighty Frontiersmen the Kharaa managed to infiltrate a small corner of the off-world mining colony. Within a matter of hours a hive was dropped and the alien</i> bane <i>began its poisonous work, slowly converting the rooms and corridors into deadly inhospitable tombs.</i>

<b>Sgt. Graves:</b> Ah hell! Jones get your flame-throwing ass up here and torch this <i>bane</i>. Squad One, keep your eyes and ears open, we've got hostiles!

<b>Pvt. Jones:</b> No problem.

<i>Pvt. Jones takes point and lets loose a blast of fire from the flamethrower. The</i> bane <i> shrivels and burns, whistling and popping. An acrid smoke drifts towards the squadron.</i>

<b>Pvt. Petrov:</b> Ah man, just lost my appetite.

<b>Sgt. Graves:</b> Quit yer belly achin' and get a move on. Marines, move out!
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I third and forth just: Infestation. Blizzard can go to hell... they will be comfy with one of their games which is already there... WoW!
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2009
    How 'bout creeping s h i t ?

Marine slang for the win.
  • legolego Join Date: 2003-06-30 Member: 17819Members, Constellation
    I see no point to this thread.
  • TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1731975:date=Oct 13 2009, 09:30 AM:name=lego)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lego @ Oct 13 2009, 09:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731975"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I see no point to this thread.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Really?

The point is that everyone are suppossed to argue.
  • PaladinDudePaladinDude Join Date: 2006-12-04 Member: 58881Members, Constellation
    How about, The Flood... ;)

Seriously though, I don't see anything wrong with infestation, but if you absolutely have to change it, here's my faves
    - Slime, I can imagine gorges "sliming" marines already! It's also a likely name that marines would give for.... well... green slime!
    - Creep
    - Smeg (for all your RedDwarf fans)
  • NarcilNarcil Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41426Members
    doesn't matter what you name it now, everyone will still just call it Infestation, or DI
  • SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    At one point I was booking through Mess Hall while a gorge was gunking it up, so I shot him.

So I was laying down gunk in mess hall, right? One 'rine came in and effin shot me. Thanks team.

Uh, Com, we cant actually go there, the door is gunked up.

I am dropping flamers in MS for the gunk.

I think mess hall is fine, just don't let them gunk it up like that.

See? Gunk is good.
  • resresresresresres Join Date: 2007-10-16 Member: 62652Members
    "The point is that everyone are suppossed to argue. "

....everyone IS suppoSed to argue.

Krunk is catching on for me. Damn, look it all this krunk. That place is a mess of krunk. Let's burn us some krunk..
  • PhiXXPhiXX Join Date: 2008-10-22 Member: 65274Members