Not That Im Getting Impatient But.

Comments

• WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1723081:date=Aug 16 2009, 12:49 AM:name=Sirot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirot @ Aug 16 2009, 12:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1723081"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am starting to step back from the forums a little. It feels like people don't bother to read up on existing threads or even in the posts they are posting and just yell whatever they are thinking.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Read As: I'm beginning to see forums for what they really are.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    Whiny youth! You need to go to army to learn something about real waiting.
  • whocareswcwhocareswc Join Date: 2007-07-31 Member: 61735Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1723399:date=Aug 18 2009, 05:47 AM:name=Jiriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jiriki @ Aug 18 2009, 05:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1723399"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Whiny youth! You need to go to army to learn something about real waiting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

heh try marriage :P
  • Space_CowboySpace_Cowboy Join Date: 2007-01-23 Member: 59722Members, Constellation
    I’m pretty confident that a map/alpha release is just around the corner, and not to long after the beta will launch (October 31 perchance!).
    However I don’t think a full release is going to happen this year, a game like NS2 takes dreadfully long time to balance and tweak, just look at NS.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1723308:date=Aug 18 2009, 01:19 AM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Aug 18 2009, 01:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1723308"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That said, PR is important, and skimping on it will only hurt you in the end, especially if you're going to compete in the Q4 season.(TBH Q1 2010 is shaping up to be pretty crazy too.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah a lot of huge AAA titles have been pushed back to Q1 2010
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    NS2 is not competing with the holiday season, it is a niche title and not a wide-market title.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    Yeah, wasn't intending to imply that.
  • MangoManMangoMan Join Date: 2003-12-28 Member: 24813Members
    I know one thing, I cant wait for this damn game to come out already.
  • ctdctd Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67611Members
    I get what you are saying about it being a 'niche' title however it is also a computer game and your average gamer has 'x' amount of dollars to spend on games. We all know what a great game NS was (is) therefore we have no problems giving out $US20 or $US40. However the average gamer with his 'x' budget has very little knowledge of NS. This game wont survive on the fanboys of NS alone. IP reveals or Gorge reveals don't really do anything to get people opening their paypal accounts unless you've played NS. Fairly sure the developers are aware of this and no doubt we will see gameplay and cinematic trailers closer to release.

NS is competing with every other game on the market from Call of Duty 6 to Peggle. The good thing NS2 has going for it is reputation. People that didn't even play NS will often go "oh I've never played that but I heard it was awesome".
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    The super cheap price helps a lot.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1723579:date=Aug 19 2009, 02:24 AM:name=Sirot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirot @ Aug 19 2009, 02:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1723579"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 is not competing with the holiday season, it is a niche title and not a wide-market title.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It is competing though. First, the devs don't want to it be niche. Second, it has to compete for the money gamers would spend on other titles regardless . Most people don't only play RTS/FPS games.
    <!--quoteo(post=1723651:date=Aug 19 2009, 01:17 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Aug 19 2009, 01:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1723651"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is competing though. First, the devs don't want to it be niche. Second, it has to compete for the money gamers would spend on other titles regardless . Most people don't only play RTS/FPS games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It is not competing for the non-mainstream market in the holiday season. The market that buys games two times a year, Christmas and their Birthday. They are dealing with the game savvy population which probably buys a game every 1 to 3 months regardless of what is coming out. It is a niche title because it is catering only to those who indulge in digital distribution AND visit game websites often enough to hear word about this game called "Natural Selection 2" developed by a small, independent studio.
  • ctdctd Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67611Members
    I would hardly call digital distribution a niche market. Steam, PSN, XBL, D2D etc. Most gamers with a computer would have steam.
    <!--quoteo(post=1723740:date=Aug 19 2009, 07:54 PM:name=ctd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ctd @ Aug 19 2009, 07:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1723740"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would hardly call digital distribution a niche market. Steam, PSN, XBL, D2D etc. Most gamers with a computer would have steam.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"... AND visit game websites often enough to hear word about this game called "Natural Selection 2" developed by a small, independent studio." - My post right above yours.

It coming out on digital distribution does not make it niche. I never said that and nor do I believe that. What makes it niche is because it does not have a strong PR backing of a normal title because it is being made by a small, independent developer. You need good marketing to sell to the mainstream and I doubt that the developers have that kind of cash. They can reach a good sized audience, but I keep getting the impression that people think that NS2 will set the world on fire.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1723761:date=Aug 19 2009, 09:26 PM:name=Sirot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirot @ Aug 19 2009, 09:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1723761"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"... AND visit game websites often enough to hear word about this game called "Natural Selection 2" developed by a small, independent studio." - My post right above yours.

It coming out on digital distribution does not make it niche. I never said that and nor do I believe that. What makes it niche is because it does not have a strong PR backing of a normal title because it is being made by a small, independent developer. You need good marketing to sell to the mainstream and I doubt that the developers have that kind of cash. They can reach a good sized audience, but I keep getting the impression that people think that NS2 will set the world on fire.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This.

Games like NS2 really only explode if the reviews are amazing. By 'games like NS2' I mean the first game developed by a no name development studio without the backing of a publisher.

Despite this, UWE will probably enjoy success for many years because of NS2 but that does not mean it will 'explode into the mainstream.' Until your game is hanging out on the shelves in Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Gamestop, etc. you're not in the mainstream. So far, UWE has a deal with Valve to use Steam in order to digitally distribute their game and it's my guess that NS2 will remain digital download only for a long time.

In order to get your game in a box you need a publisher. Most big box publishers purchase the rights to the game they're publishing. This would mean UWE would no longer own the Natural Selection IP. When people would ask Flayra if NS1 was going to be picked up by Valve he would frequently say that keeping the intellectually property rights to the NS universe was key to him. I would imagine his stance on owning NS has only become stronger since he's now opened up a studio to develop it.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1723655:date=Aug 19 2009, 01:54 PM:name=Sirot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirot @ Aug 19 2009, 01:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1723655"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They are dealing with the game savvy population which probably buys a game every 1 to 3 months regardless of what is coming out. studio.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Right, and if there are a bunch of AAA games coming out at the same time as NS2 then that purchase is likely to be something other than NS2. Just because NS2 is small doesn't mean it lives in a bubble. Just because NS2 is not a "mainstream title" doesn't mean it's not competing for gamers' money with mainstream titles. It just means that NS2 has a smaller target audience.
    <!--quoteo(post=1723834:date=Aug 20 2009, 10:13 AM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Aug 20 2009, 10:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1723834"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Right, and if there are a bunch of AAA games coming out at the same time as NS2 then that purchase is likely to be something other than NS2. Just because NS2 is small doesn't mean it lives in a bubble. Just because NS2 is not a "mainstream title" doesn't mean it's not competing for gamers' money with mainstream titles. It just means that NS2 has a smaller target audience.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NS2 costs 20 dollars (40 dollars for us crazy people), that is a impulse buy price for a lot of people if the developers play their cards right. If they have a free weekend once a month, every month (I don't imagine a demo every working for a multiplayer only game), it will won't matter that much when they release as long as they keep their name in the minds of consumers.
  • niaccurshiniaccurshi Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11629Members, Constellation
    I don't know if this has already been said, but given the way this game is being released publicly at alpha (anyone can purchase the right to play), where has the assumption been that it isn't the Alpha that will be released in the Fall? TBH I don't mind if it's the finished product or the alpha, once something is released (if it is released in the fall) the time will fly as it moves to final release.
  • CattablissCattabliss Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66803Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1722647:date=Aug 13 2009, 05:28 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Aug 13 2009, 05:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722647"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why does everyone assume that the only stuff we have finished is what we show on the blog or in a reveal? We have piles of models/textures/animations finished that we haven't shown off yet, since just to do a simple blog post like the armory is still a significant amount of time that is a distraction from working on the game. The armory concept/model/texture were done at the end of last year, we just hadn't had a chance to show it off yet.

And the other assumption, that things like maps can't be developed concurrently with the art assets, is also false. We already have plenty of textures/props to start mapping with, and even without those you can begin layout design, greyboxing, and rough block in stuff on a map.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because we are a bunch of impatient children and you've hid all the candy! ^^

Na, we just dont want to give you guys any pressure, take all the time you need! The updates are awesome, and I personally cant wait for more on this "dynamic infestation" because it is one of the biggest highlights of NS2. Personally, I think all these updates are a great idea and is building a significant amount of hype over NS2. I've been visiting this site more and more often because of the frequent updates :)
  • TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1724496:date=Aug 22 2009, 02:46 PM:name=Cattabliss)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cattabliss @ Aug 22 2009, 02:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724496"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because we are a bunch of impatient children and you've hid all the candy! ^^

Na, we just dont want to give you guys any pressure, take all the time you need! The updates are awesome, and I personally cant wait for more on this "dynamic infestation" because it is one of the biggest highlights of NS2. Personally, I think all these updates are a great idea and is building a significant amount of hype over NS2. I've been visiting this site more and more often because of the frequent updates :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Same here, just that it was some time ago I started to visit the site more and more.

Now I never shut down the webbrowser and just refresh once every 10 - 30 min.
  • xstation14xstation14 Join Date: 2007-01-08 Member: 59524Members
    Last year we knew next to nothing about this game. Given how much UWE has released in the past few months, I wouldn't be surprised if some form of the game (Alpha, Beta, Finished game, whatever) comes out this year.
  • 1mannARMEE1mannARMEE Join Date: 2008-09-23 Member: 65064Members
    Not that Im Getting Impatient But, I am totally impatient right now ?

... Give them enough time to do a nice game... we all waited for years now, so who gives a damn to wait a couple of extra months, I'm surprised that this topic wasn't closed :)
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    But the thread is not closed,,, so, I thought I would point out that my calendar shows 26 days until Fall officially begins.
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    When does Fall in America begin exactly? And when does it end?
  • whocareswcwhocareswc Join Date: 2007-07-31 Member: 61735Members
    one thing i do wonder about, is that UWE accepted money for an Fall Release.. what happens if they dont release something.. can they get sued?

not that im going to but it could be a distraction.. or encouragement :D
  • TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited August 2009
    My guess is that they will release the model viewer and map editor on monday.

Just a guess.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    ^^WE NEED CPR STAT!
  • Invader_ScootInvader_Scoot Join Date: 2003-10-13 Member: 21669Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and say that the Alpha will probably be released at the same time as the Tools. Main reason is that it would void the need for the developers to create another "Technical Release" build. So it could save some time, and also make a bigger bang for the release of that alpha.
    <!--quoteo(post=1725302:date=Aug 28 2009, 07:26 AM:name=Invader_Scoot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Invader_Scoot @ Aug 28 2009, 07:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1725302"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and say that the Alpha will probably be released at the same time as the Tools. Main reason is that it would void the need for the developers to create another "Technical Release" build. So it could save some time, and also make a bigger bang for the release of that alpha.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Makes sence.

But I have totally give up my hope for any game release. If the UWE would confirm what date like anything would be release like:

"We will release the tools now on monday!"

Or however they want to say it.

Point is that they never tell when. They have their rule saying "Don't promise something you can't do."

Then they come with a twitter post saying it will be released "soonish", that will make me update the main page once a minute for five days.

I'd rather prefer they didn't say anything at all then.

However, now when I've been updating the main page for so many times that I've lost count now I'm guessing monday release of tools.
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    Just wait for christs sake. You gave up on hope for the game release? The majority of us here have been waiting years for this and its getting closer each day.

Patience.
This discussion has been closed.