Not That Im Getting Impatient But.

Comments

• TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I want to belive that the NS2 will be released as promised, but I'm getting so confused by the late date and no relase date of Alpha.

I have still hope that they will be able to complete in time, but my hopes are fading.
  • -Klaus--Klaus- Join Date: 2008-11-14 Member: 65447Members
    They have a large stall at PAX, something interesting will be happening for that...
  • TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Well HoundDawg, atleast Cory didn't say that you were wrong about having to wait another 12 months.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    edited August 2009
    Does the release date REALLY affect you?
    I mean, I hear release dates from companies and pay them no mind... it doesn't influence me in any shape or form other than "can I play alpha / beta now? no? damn *sits and waits*"

This is why game companies shouldn't announce release dates because if something pushes their planned release date back, then people cry foul and go "i knew it" and other stupid posts.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't!
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1722747:date=Aug 14 2009, 08:36 AM:name=Tekoppen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tekoppen @ Aug 14 2009, 08:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722747"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well HoundDawg, atleast Cory didn't say that you were wrong about having to wait another 12 months.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Don't be silly.

I am more than confident the game is on track and that the devs are doing a fantastic job.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1722747:date=Aug 14 2009, 12:36 AM:name=Tekoppen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tekoppen @ Aug 14 2009, 12:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722747"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well HoundDawg, atleast Cory didn't say that you were wrong about having to wait another 12 months.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

HoundDawg is wrong about having to wait another 12 months.

--Cory
  • -Klaus--Klaus- Join Date: 2008-11-14 Member: 65447Members
    Well thats no time at all then :D
    <!--quoteo(post=1722758:date=Aug 14 2009, 11:22 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Aug 14 2009, 11:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722758"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->HoundDawg is wrong about having to wait another 12 months.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    11 months and 28 days? (",)

Just can't wait to play the game!!!

Heck, I can't wait for the mapping tools either!!!!!
  • KwilKwil Join Date: 2003-07-06 Member: 17963Members
    Given what they've said in the dev blogs about how quickly and easily they can adjust numbers and add functionality to items (didn't one blog mention they basically do it on the fly and don't even need to recompile?) and given Max's apparantly ludicrous coding speed, that they're asking for things like this now doesn't seem terribly out of whack if you're looking at a fairly quick alpha (couple of weeks) medium beta (6 weeks) and then the traditional halloween release date.
  • CxwfCxwf Join Date: 2003-02-05 Member: 13168Members, Constellation
    I'm betting September Alpha, Halloween Beta and Christmas retail release. But they could be moving faster than that, we'll see. I won't be surprised at all if full release is sometime this year. I will be pleasantly surprised if full release is ready by the traditional Halloween date.
    Cxwf - dunno but you can also <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showuser=21433" target="_blank">send them a PM</a> and if they haven't changed e-mail. They'll get an e-mail notification.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1722647:date=Aug 13 2009, 12:28 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Aug 13 2009, 12:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722647"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why does everyone assume that the only stuff we have finished is what we show on the blog or in a reveal? We have piles of models/textures/animations finished that we haven't shown off yet, since just to do a simple blog post like the armory is still a significant amount of time that is a distraction from working on the game. The armory concept/model/texture were done at the end of last year, we just hadn't had a chance to show it off yet.

And the other assumption, that things like maps can't be developed concurrently with the art assets, is also false. We already have plenty of textures/props to start mapping with, and even without those you can begin layout design, greyboxing, and rough block in stuff on a map.

I think people get a little antsy about the state of the game when they see on the twitter that so many of the weapons are still up in the air. I mean, we still haven't seen any real in-game footage so you can't blame them. Also just an idea but I think you should put the reveals on a schedule, i.e. reveal one thing every Monday with a full writeup and media. If the game is really going to make a Fall release you could definitely manage that - one for each alien reveal and alien structure, each marine weapon and structure, one for each team's commander, concepts like the resource and upgrade models, one for each launch map, etc. When the announcements are made regular it helps a lot to build hype for them, people congregate around the site waiting for news and generate a lot of buzz instead of just slowly realizing that there's a new news post.
  • GaussWaffleGaussWaffle Join Date: 2008-02-22 Member: 63708Members
    Sorry cory, assuming these things takes intelligence
  • wankalotwankalot Join Date: 2005-02-05 Member: 39872Members
    Erm, when is Halloween? :P

People do not really care about it over here, lol.

Seriously though. Guys, cmon! Are you serious? This is not Blizzard or Valve we are dealing with. Flayra and co do not have some secret marketing agenda underpinned by delays. They REALLY do want to give you the best possible game and realise how important our loyalty is. They are not going to betray that trust. Sure they may have to dealy a month or two, but who cares? If it means a better game in the end then so be it.

And contrary to what i keep reading, the things they have 'up in the air' sound big, but are actually very simple to implrement. Reworking alt skulk bite, lol they could do that in a day, 2 tops.

in conclusion, just relax everyone it will be done soon.

On a personal note i have a thesis due at uni on the 8th of October, id actually prefer ir came out after that lol...
  • LesbianSeagullLesbianSeagull Join Date: 2009-08-13 Member: 68472Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1722647:date=Aug 13 2009, 05:28 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Aug 13 2009, 05:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722647"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why does everyone assume that the only stuff we have finished is what we show on the blog or in a reveal? We have piles of models/textures/animations finished that we haven't shown off yet, since just to do a simple blog post like the armory is still a significant amount of time that is a distraction from working on the game. The armory concept/model/texture were done at the end of last year, we just hadn't had a chance to show it off yet.

And the other assumption, that things like maps can't be developed concurrently with the art assets, is also false. We already have plenty of textures/props to start mapping with, and even without those you can begin layout design, greyboxing, and rough block in stuff on a map.

I don't think anyone is assuming that the only stuff you have fnished is what you haved shown in the news posts, but this game still holds its roots to a game modification as opposed to a stand alone game which is shown in how it handles its media releases. Personally I enjoy seeing small parts of the game being shown such as game models and concept art, the only thing is when you are advertising pre-orders like you currently have, a large majority of people like to see a little more than short teasers with no classic in-game action and just a few model renders. You have to ask yourself, would the pre-orders statistics be as good as they are if Natural Selection had never been released and we were expected to be convinced to pre-order off the sparce media available, don't take this the wrong way as I myself am quite confident and very excited about the game, but from the bits of media we have seen we have no real way to gauge the quality of the game, other than it has a few nice models and ideas. People want to know if the game sucks or not before buying it, and releasing more in-game footage is a great way of showing off your game and giving your audience a much better way of deciding if the game sucks or not without having the actually play it.I'll go into my earlier point further, FIFA releases a football title every year, it's established a following like Natural Selection, they know that some fans will pre-order the game because they trust FIFA to make top class football titles, most however hold off to look at the media and videos because they know that sometimes it's FIFA's year and at other times its Pro Evolution Soccer's year to shine. EA Sports know this and so release lots of videos and teasers etc, to try and show off their game, like any retail game. Now, I know EA Sports is a large studio, and your team is only small, but I promise you their timescales are very tight as they have a 12 month development cycle with releases each year, but truth is that this is a retail game just like FIFA or any other and as such comes a certain obvious requirement to show some of the goods before expecting people to show the money. This isn't a free to play mod any more and so I don't think you can treat media posts in the same light. I can't understand why the podcasts slowly stopped, it was a great way for the community to get a better insight into the development and how far things where without having to stop production for hours.

Lets be honest, you really don't think a 2 minutes of in-game footage will increase sales, if the answer is no, then I don't think the game will get released this year. From the nature of many of the Twitter pages asking for feedback on possible implented features it's understandable why so many people think that a release of Fall 2009 is so unlikely. Surely if you are after a Fall release we should be in the Alpha stages right now, not planning whats to be in the game, that should have been done long ago, things like this should have been decided at the start of the development cycle, its much more productive. You also like to remind us how small a team you have, well that's another reason why a large portion of the community don't think it will be released in Fall, your Twitter page shows just how much is to be implemented, because many features haven't even been decided and you only have a handful of people to implement the features when you decide what they are.

I'd be so happy if you surprised me with a Fall 2009 release date, but I think it's safer to say Summer 2010. Might I add if I saw some in-game action I'd be much more inclined to pre-order the game, as would countless other people. Which in turn might spur you on to make a Fall 2009 release.

Anyway I'll wait till PAX before I hold my breath.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1722647:date=Aug 14 2009, 03:28 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Aug 14 2009, 03:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722647"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why does everyone assume that the only stuff we have finished is what we show on the blog or in a reveal? We have piles of models/textures/animations finished that we haven't shown off yet, since just to do a simple blog post like the armory is still a significant amount of time that is a distraction from working on the game. The armory concept/model/texture were done at the end of last year, we just hadn't had a chance to show it off yet.

Its not everyone Cory, just the loud ones make their paranoia known
    <!--quoteo(post=1722799:date=Aug 14 2009, 03:03 PM:name=steppin'razor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steppin'razor @ Aug 14 2009, 03:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722799"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its not everyone Cory, just the loud ones make their paranoia known<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1 to that.
    It's posters like these which the dev's need to fade out to the background and only listen to if they constructive comments rather than doomsaying.
    Cory, please confirm that the Natural Selection 2 will be delayed so we can close this thread?
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    NS1 was only in "public beta" for what...3 or 4 years?
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1722834:date=Aug 14 2009, 05:02 AM:name=homicide)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (homicide @ Aug 14 2009, 05:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722834"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS1 was only in "public beta" for what...3 or 4 years?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It never was, just the 3.0 patch IIRC.
    <!--quoteo(post=1722834:date=Aug 14 2009, 11:02 AM:name=homicide)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (homicide @ Aug 14 2009, 11:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722834"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS1 was only in "public beta" for what...3 or 4 years?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, that's too bad.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Guys, any complex project is like doing a jigsaw. In the beginning every piece needs to be carefully laid out but once you pass a critical mass of pieces in place it becomes much easier to complete it.
    With LUA scripting it will be much more efficient to make balance changes and to experiment with ideas. On NS, if we wanted to change armoury behaviour it took a non-trivial amount of coding and testing before it could ever be play tested. We crawled at a snails pace through the later stages of a release and often elected not to make changes we wanted because of the effort of implementation. I fully expect the beta phases of NS2 to be a lot more productive because the up-front work has been done to make the development process a lot more lightweight.

On the topic of the pace at which reveals are occurring, I think it would be a mistake to front-load the community with information. Right now we get dribs and drabs here and there and that's fine. They need to hold the heavy hitters back for the run-up to release in order to build momentum.
    Why would they give us a release date of the complete game and have no clue when to set a date on the Alpha version?

Makes no sence.

It keeps showing to me that the team refuses to share any information about the current situation of the game. Witch is sad. =/
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited August 2009
    They share a lot more than most. You have a constant stream of blogs and videos showing you not only how the game is coming along, but also give insights into the process of developing a game.

Most other game studios would have done nothing more than a teaser at this point, with a PR blitz at the end.

I worried about the decision to develop in public when they first decided to do so, thinking that if everything was known early, there'd be no hype during pre-release. I think they've given us good information while holding back more for later. For example, seeing the Skulk animated on a plain background was great, but it would have been better to see him skulk around an actual map. Had they chose to do that, then it would have taken a lot of the punch out of the inevitable map preview, while also distracting the discussion from the skulk.

Pacing is very important for what they are trying to do. I remember the days of developer plans that you could read every week or two, and I lamented their disappearance for a very long time. I for one am very glad that UWE have decided to reveal some of their thoughts and processes to us as they work through their schedules.
  • PhiXXPhiXX Join Date: 2008-10-22 Member: 65274Members
    Reading my way through this thread, I feel like back in kindergarten... no patience, some guys yelling "when when" and others crying about NS2 being released 2010... please STOP :|
    This is NS community, not CS community, I thought this one would be more mature?! :D
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1722860:date=Aug 14 2009, 02:45 PM:name=PhiXX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PhiXX @ Aug 14 2009, 02:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722860"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Reading my way through this thread, I feel like back in kindergarten... no patience, some guys yelling "when when" and others crying about NS2 being released 2010... please STOP :|
    This is NS community, not CS community, I thought this one would be more mature?! :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    For some reason the maturity of the community doesn't always directly relate to the pace of the game. Quake Live has got a lot more mature community than NS for example.
  • ChicoDesMersChicoDesMers Join Date: 2005-01-15 Member: 35737Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1722863:date=Aug 14 2009, 09:48 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Aug 14 2009, 09:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722863"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For some reason the maturity of the community doesn't always directly relate to the pace of the game. Quake Live has got a lot more mature community than NS for example.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's goin to the WoW community actually :|
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    A game takes time, I personally would be overjoyed if just the tools came before winter.
    It'll come when it's done. They obviously are working, and that's about everything us fans should concern ourselves about.
    People who get caught up in the "Fall 2009" obviously don't know what game-releases are all about. Many games are delayed months and years.

Also, if they announce anything it's not like it's automatically a promise. It's a company and thus there will be some difficulties.

Oh and love ya Cory for responding to threads :)
  • sicbudsicbud Join Date: 2009-07-08 Member: 68083Members
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1722851:date=Aug 14 2009, 06:31 AM:name=Tekoppen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tekoppen @ Aug 14 2009, 06:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722851"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why would they give us a release date of the complete game and have no clue when to set a date on the Alpha version?

Makes no sence.

It keeps showing to me that the team refuses to share any information about the current situation of the game. Witch is sad. =/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fall 2009 was never a firm release date, you're pretty stupid if you thought it was. Every developer gives a timeframe when they'd like the game to be released, but it's nothing firm.

The team isn't refusing to share us any information. They're busy trying to get the tools and game ready for alpha status, they don't need to keep us informed on every little detail. Making trailers, reveal video's, video blogs, etc.. takes time away from development, which is something we don't want.

I can understand people being impatient and wanting to play the game, but attacking the development team really does nothing good. If you're so upset about the status of the game, you can always get your money back from your pre-order. If you haven't pre-ordered, you really have no reason to be upset.

The developers really don't owe you anything.
  • RzrRzr Join Date: 2009-04-02 Member: 67002Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1722851:date=Aug 14 2009, 10:31 AM:name=Tekoppen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tekoppen @ Aug 14 2009, 10:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722851"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why would they give us a release date of the complete game and have no clue when to set a date on the Alpha version?

Makes no sence.

It keeps showing to me that the team refuses to share any information about the current situation of the game. Witch is sad. =/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This actualy means the release date is more important than the alpha/beta dates, which can be adjusted by the pace things are going down UWE. In practical terms, if the alpha and beta are taking long to be released, this means their periods will be shorter so UWE can release the final version on time. Of course, if things go waaay worse than expected they should be able to reschedule the final release date, hopefully.

I´m just guessing, but if they didn´t set a date for alpha, and they didn´t reschedule the final release, this means they are not ready to release the alpha, but within their tolerable standards for the final release. Just be patient, but don´t expected alpha and beta stages to last too long.
This discussion has been closed.