Do you guys want Natural Selection 2 to get flooded with people?

Comments

• rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Compared to the current NS1 situation i hope NS2 gets flooded with people...

I haven't played NS1 in ages but recently i fired it up a few times but most times end up dissapointing because of the lack of players. It allways boils down to this:

- Only a handfull of servers with people on them
    - Most if not all of these servers have 20+ people playing
    - It's allways the same people and most of the time teams get stacked resulting in very very boring games most of the time.

So i'm really looking forward to NS2 having a big playerbase like NS1 had in it's best times maybe even more.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi! Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Not true. I've recently fired up and played in EU and US servers. I think I played on a GUD and BAD server among Ablenet and something else. However it's never been stack after stack after stack. Sure you get some quick games, sure you get quite a lot of the same players, although the community is the reason for this.

Why? I tried comming the other day, never really bothered to learn it before. I didn't reply to one persons health request in time and BANG eject, followed by eject, and I was ejected. We then had no comm and the game ended. The problem is the community, for it's nice neat little cosy place is deeply underlined with raging elitests which put off new players or anyone trying to learn to command or learn to fade etc. There is the other stick in which I was on a BAD server, not played in about 2 years and someone actually took it upon themselves to run me through fade tactics etc. to learn fade. That was cool, but it's a rare occassion in this community it seems now, which saddens me.
  • efektzefektz Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23665Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1714367:date=Jun 27 2009, 12:48 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jun 27 2009, 12:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714367"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not true. I've recently fired up and played in EU and US servers. I think I played on a GUD and BAD server among Ablenet and something else. However it's never been stack after stack after stack. Sure you get some quick games, sure you get quite a lot of the same players, although the community is the reason for this.

Why? I tried comming the other day, never really bothered to learn it before. I didn't reply to one persons health request in time and BANG eject, followed by eject, and I was ejected. We then had no comm and the game ended. The problem is the community, for it's nice neat little cosy place is deeply underlined with raging elitests which put off new players or anyone trying to learn to command or learn to fade etc. There is the other stick in which I was on a BAD server, not played in about 2 years and someone actually took it upon themselves to run me through fade tactics etc. to learn fade. That was cool, but it's a rare occassion in this community it seems now, which saddens me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you're a new comm, tell everyone you're a new comm. Don't just jump in and do nothing, you have to set the expectation that you're learning or wanting to learn.

People WILL help you if you ASK!
  • TheLordTheLord Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16258Members
    edited June 2009
    flooding NS2 with ppl would only help its popularity, so why not :)
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    edited June 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1714376:date=Jun 27 2009, 07:37 PM:name=efektz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (efektz @ Jun 27 2009, 07:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714376"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you're a new comm, tell everyone you're a new comm. Don't just jump in and do nothing, you have to set the expectation that you're learning or wanting to learn.

People WILL help you if you ASK!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No matter when people say they're new to commanding, want to learn etc. 9/10 on a server I see flame. 9/10 you will see flames from the community. It's just a shame, that's all. Then it's an even bigger shame that a player with an ego when he takes one death ejects a commander to ruin the game. The point is, the community is full of small elitest <insert curse words> and we should be aiming towards the opposite, a larger community with a friendly atmosphere.
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sorry but if you can't even respond to medrequests than you don't belong into the CC...

I know i might sound "elitist" by saying that but getting the meds out in time to the people that need them is the very basic of commaonding and if you can't even manage that you won't be doing much usefull stuff in that CC.
    And i never said "stack after stack of quick round" i said "most of the time" and that still applies....

Sure not every round ends after 3 minutes with 2 overskilled marines camping the main-hive and spawnkilling the whole alien team, but most rounds get stacked in such a way that you can clearly predict which team is gonna win by just watching the game for like 2-3 minutes or just knowing the players from other rounds.

And that's really depressing, so far i had only like a single "GG" worthy round and that only because the marine teams commander totaly sucked while the marine team would have had an easy time finishing off the alien team with the right comm support. The worst is that too many rounds just end because 1-2 marines spawncamp the whole alien team in the mainhive and none of the aliens that are still alive respond to it and clear it out.

That isn't something new but it's just too common right now so many rounds end up pretty boring...

So i hope that NS2 will end up with a very big community in which you won't end up seeing the same 3-5 people spawncamping the MH 3 minutes into the game or raping the marine team as fades 5+ minutes into the game and everybody with a clue stacking their team. I rather want a big community where not everybody on the server knows the best players to stack their teams but rather skilled players get distributed evenly among the teams which leads to interesting round that have serveral comebacks for each team.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited June 2009
    It doesn't matter. More people in general means more people that can play the game, play it well, and/or play it in the way you want. The trick is to foster the habits and mentalities desirable, and kill off the weeds (or failing that, segregate the affected population - NS:Combat, anyone?). Yes, it's just like exercising a dictatorship, or a more accurate example: a democratic society with a strong PR industry.
  • JaynerdJaynerd Join Date: 2008-06-26 Member: 64504Members
    So far it seems all of the replies are in favor of getting a flood of people to play NS2. I'm with you! We've got to make this beast live. If you are worrying about who is in that flood then you are worrying about the demographic. This is where the question goes to the devs... because it's their game and they'll decide how to advertise/spend on advertising. But maybe they don't have the money (or time) to arrange the kind of publicity that NS2 deserves. I don't know these things, but it would be great to get some kind community campaign started. Perhaps with dev guidance or cooperation?

Our fearless leaders are trying to make THE BEST GAME EVER... right?
  • FirewaterFirewater Balance Expert Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10690Members, Constellation
    I would much rather have this game get flooded with players that really don't know what they are doing then to have the equivalent of the NS1 community (please, that remark is not meant to be offensive)

For several reasons:

1. Games with larger player bases, obviously sell more copies, and have more consistent and diverse playerbase then games that do not sell as well.

2. More players means the longevity of the game will last longer.

3. Allows for different playstyles to potentially flourish with more players around.

The more players the better. Sure there will be some griefers, but that is with any game regardless of its population. More players means that the odds of an NS3 being developed are greatly improved.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1714453:date=Jun 28 2009, 07:06 AM:name=rebirth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rebirth @ Jun 28 2009, 07:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714453"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry but if you can't even respond to medrequests than you don't belong into the CC...

I know i might sound "elitist" by saying that but getting the meds out in time to the people that need them is the very basic of commaonding and if you can't even manage that you won't be doing much usefull stuff in that CC.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When people learn they make mistakes. You're just an example of the impatience which puts people off wanting to learn. Thanks for making my point for me.
  • PrefixPrefix Éirinn go Brách Join Date: 2006-12-31 Member: 59353Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1714617:date=Jun 29 2009, 03:05 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jun 29 2009, 03:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714617"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When people learn they make mistakes. You're just an example of the impatience which puts people off wanting to learn. Thanks for making my point for me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A bad comm can ruin the game for the entire server. Commanding needs to have a lower entry level which will be possible with the whole multiple commanders thing they talked about.
  • efektzefektz Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23665Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1714617:date=Jun 28 2009, 10:05 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jun 28 2009, 10:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714617"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When people learn they make mistakes. You're just an example of the impatience which puts people off wanting to learn. Thanks for making my point for me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My recommendation would be to learn on a 2v2 or 3v3 (under populated) server.

It should only take an average newb to learn the basics in a few hours.
  • UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?&#33; Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1714620:date=Jun 28 2009, 07:19 PM:name=Prefix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prefix @ Jun 28 2009, 07:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714620"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A bad comm can ruin the game for the entire server. Commanding needs to have a lower entry level which will be possible with the whole multiple commanders thing they talked about.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Should add spectator support for comms.
  • SliceSlice Join Date: 2008-03-19 Member: 63903Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1714038:date=Jun 26 2009, 01:00 AM:name=Italianmagic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Italianmagic @ Jun 26 2009, 01:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714038"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->my predictions:

When UWE gives a release date for NS2, you'll see a high amount of people getting NS1. so nub alert!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This has already happened with the pre-release announcement. We've seen a steady increase in people either new to the game or coming back to refresh themselves on NS1.
    <!--quoteo(post=1714617:date=Jun 29 2009, 04:05 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jun 29 2009, 04:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714617"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When people learn they make mistakes. You're just an example of the impatience which puts people off wanting to learn. Thanks for making my point for me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There are like a bazillion bot servers right now, on them people can practice comm controls as much and as long as they want.
    On normal servers when nobody else jumps into the CC instantly you can jump into that CC too with a little warning to the team "sorry i'm new don't expect too much".

But other than that it's just kinda egoistic to jump into that CC if you can't even drop some meds. Sure people need to learn, but they got plenty of options for that that don't involve ruining a round for 18+ people.
    And just to clarify: Trying to comm when you can't spam meds in a somewhat decent timeframe is like trying to learn riding a bicycle when you don't even have the sense of balance to stand on one leg.

Nobody expects that people learn to comm in a matter of minutes, but getting the meds out in time is like the very basic of commanding that's needed to make the round at least work. Nobody needs a comm that's so busy clicking trough the build panels to find the medpack, scroll over the map to the marine in need and by the time he dropped his first med the marine is allready dead and respawned. As long as you drop meds in a somewhat fast way most people won't care that much about your bad choises, but a comm not dropping med/ammo feels like a useless comm to the team and gets ejected pretty fast no matter how new he is.

Sorry for going offtopic but i just had to point out that this has nothing to do with "elitism" oor lack of patience. It's just a small clue for people trying to learn commanding.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    more the freakin better for all concerned
    <!--quoteo(post=1714626:date=Jun 29 2009, 06:08 AM:name=Underwhelmed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Underwhelmed @ Jun 29 2009, 06:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714626"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Should add spectator support for comms.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The I&S forums needs forward thinking like that.
  • S!KS!K Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68024Members
    ummm, that's kind of a dumb question. No offense buddy. NS1 is lacking players, I only say this because I'm banned from all the decent servers. There aren't many. I want NS2 to be not flooded, but RAPED by players. I hope there is going to be a huge population in NS, because NS1 was really popular in 1.04 to 2.0 and it started dying away someone afterwards.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1716065:date=Jul 7 2009, 09:04 AM:name=S!K)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (S!K @ Jul 7 2009, 09:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716065"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm banned from all the decent servers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Perhaps you should be reviewing your actions before playing on other servers and NS2? Bans will still happen in NS2 just as they did in NS1.
  • TheMatrixTheMatrix Join Date: 2008-11-02 Member: 65358Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1716092:date=Jul 7 2009, 01:44 AM:name=Daworm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daworm @ Jul 7 2009, 01:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716092"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Perhaps you should be reviewing your actions before playing on other servers and NS2? Bans will still happen in NS2 just as they did in NS1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i aggre, but i also have to say ns1 isent so fun anymore the admins found out they can totaly abuse ther players because ther is so few deceant servers )
  • Tom HoenTom Hoen Join Date: 2009-07-02 Member: 68004Members
    YES I want it flooded with players.
    YES I want it flooded with servers.
    YES I want it flooded with water because it's so hot topic!

More players means more divercity. I'd like to take example of TF2: It has huge amount of players and huge amount of servers. Unluckilly most of those servers are flooded with newbs, so it has become boring. But NS2 is nothing like TF2, so I hope as the servers becomes flooded with newbs someday, it will still be fun to play.
  • EpidemicEpidemic Dark Force Gorge Join Date: 2003-06-29 Member: 17781Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1714009:date=Jun 25 2009, 11:35 AM:name=Flipster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flipster @ Jun 25 2009, 11:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714009"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know that Natural Selection is a small group of people who usually play it, but when Natural Selection 2 comes out, do you want a lot of people to play it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I know someone who wants it...
  • ToughsoxToughsox Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34518Members, Constellation
    While the more the merrier would definitely be a benefit to everyone, I don't think NS2 will come even close to what NS1 had in terms of sheer numbers. I base that on simple truths that when NS1 came out, there was nothing to compete with NS1. Where as today, there are dozens of games coming out every month that distract people. Also, NS1 was FREE.....a major factor when it comes to gaming as people are inherently cheap.

While I do suspect there will be a huge influx of people when things start out, I hope that the existing NS players will try to teach the new people the game and its finer points, and not be like some of the elitists that are still left right now. You know the ones I'm talking about.....the ones that when the rare new NS1 player comes to learn the game and is treated to "OMFG, you suck", "NOOB", "uninstall the game and go back to ...." and a host of other crap that has driven a lot of new people off whats left of NS1.

If certain people don't learn to embrace the newcomers and teach them.....like you were taught when you 1st started, then this mod wont be much more then any other mod out there.

While the quality of the mod itself is in the hands of Charlie & Company.....it's future is in YOUR HANDS!!!
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1716220:date=Jul 7 2009, 01:10 PM:name=Toughsox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Toughsox @ Jul 7 2009, 01:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716220"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While the more the merrier would definitely be a benefit to everyone, I don't think NS2 will come even close to what NS1 had in terms of sheer numbers. I base that on simple truths that when NS1 came out, there was nothing to compete with NS1. Where as today, there are dozens of games coming out every month that distract people.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Right. When NS1 came out, there were no other games in existence. And word of mouth also means nothing, plus the barrier for getting into mods is much lower than installing a commercial game on Steam. And our entire capitalist economy is based on the idea that people are inherently cheap!
    edit: i'm not joking guys!
    ps- no, i am
    pps- but maybe i'm not...
  • AvataAvata Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67477Members
    I'd rather play with n00bs who don't know what they're doing than with l33ts who abuse anyone that doesn't play the game their way.
  • Frogg2Frogg2 Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4867Members, Constellation
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1716220:date=Jul 7 2009, 12:10 PM:name=Toughsox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Toughsox @ Jul 7 2009, 12:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716220"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While the more the merrier would definitely be a benefit to everyone, I don't think NS2 will come even close to what NS1 had in terms of sheer numbers. I base that on simple truths that when NS1 came out, there was nothing to compete with NS1. Where as today, there are dozens of games coming out every month that distract people. Also, NS1 was FREE.....a major factor when it comes to gaming as people are inherently cheap.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would argue that there is no more competition with ns2 than there was with ns1. The FPS/RTS hybrid genre doesn't exactly have many entries. $20 is also dirt cheap for a game. I would also think that it will get a ton more exposure being shown on the coming soon section of steam. You had to be looking for HL1 mods to find ns1.
    While I don't disagree with you in total HiveQueen, you have to admit that the way NS came out, during the WON days, was basically all word of mouth..... and there weren't many games at all back then. So regardless of the genre of games then or now, you have to admit there are hundreds of more choices now a days then back then.
    But don't get me wrong, it is my hope that NS2 blows away the numbers produced by the 1st glorious NS.

And hopefully you are right about the pricing. I will go out on a limb and say those that played NS when it came out are now mostly adults so one would think they would easily pony up a few coins for whats hoped to be a great great game. I was just saying that human nature may dictate that some people wont pay for a game regardless of what the price is as some are just cheap ######s.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1716266:date=Jul 7 2009, 06:34 PM:name=Frogg2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frogg2 @ Jul 7 2009, 06:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716266"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would argue that there is no more competition with ns2 than there was with ns1. The FPS/RTS hybrid genre doesn't exactly have many entries. $20 is also dirt cheap for a game. I would also think that it will get a ton more exposure being shown on the coming soon section of steam. You had to be looking for HL1 mods to find ns1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The thing is, most people don't stick to one genre, especially one as narrow of FPS/RTS. You're really competing for player minutes from all the games they would play. I hope it doesn't release the same time as SC2, I think that would put a damper on sales a bit. It's not something UWE can control other than not delaying NS2 as much as SC2.

TBH I don't know if competing for Christmas sales is really the way to go anyway. That type of jump is usually for boxed games.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    To the one that said, for those who've played NS1 will hopefully help those with NS2. I think i can say for most of us, who have been playing NS1 for a long time, that we will be more focused on learning NS2, especially those of us, who are looking to scrim/league play, whenever it's released.
    Good point Frhoe. And while I do think the game will be much different then NS1, at the same time most of us old timers at least have a handle on the game in general. I was just speaking in general terms. And besides, I wouldn't think that there would be any sort of league play for NS2 for at least a few months after it released.