Detail Textures

SnappyCrunchSnappyCrunch Join Date: 2004-08-03 Member: 30328Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Will they be allowed in b6?</div> I understand that detail textures were disabled in b5 because there were no "official" detail textures for maps, and so they weren't checked for consistency. This led to a possible exploit, which was closed by locking r_detailtextures to 0.

I saw a suggestion over in S&I, and I can't see any reason not to implement it. The suggestion is to tie r_detailtextures to mp_consistency, and only lock r_detailtextures when mp_consistency is on.

My question is - Has there been any <b><u>official</u></b> word as to whether this will happen in b6?

Comments

• Ice9Ice9 Join Date: 2004-06-09 Member: 29208Members
    I loved the detailed textures, they looked so good on NS. How can you exploit this feature, though?
  • NEO_PhyteNEO_Phyte We need shirtgons&#33; Join Date: 2003-12-16 Member: 24453Members, Constellation
    i believe the exploit involved solid white detail textures, making aliens plainly visible
  • MarrMarr Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10582Members
    ...which was hardly called for considering MT practically does the same thing.

*misses detail textures*
  • SnappyCrunchSnappyCrunch Join Date: 2004-08-03 Member: 30328Members, Constellation
    Well, the word from Zunni is this:
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I don't believe that was part of the changes included for B6, but I'm not 100% sure... About 90% though.

Most of the changes for B6 are balance type changes we didn't really focus on updates to graphic changes.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • SnappyCrunchSnappyCrunch Join Date: 2004-08-03 Member: 30328Members, Constellation
    Sorry for the double post, but the word I just got from Flayra via PM was :
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I believe we talked about this internally, but the exploit is so bad that we decided it wasn't worth risking on pubs.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

::sigh:: oh well...
  • the_holethe_hole Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25019Members, Constellation
    edited November 2004
    Black walls with our current yellowish models

You tell me how easy a cloaked skulk would be able to see, as well as an uncloaked. Atmosphere = balance my friends.
    Well, NS allows custom models, and it'd be just as easy to see the players by making them hot pink.

Since re-skinning players is allowed, I don't see why re-skinning the map isn't allowed. Sure, some people are going to kill their atmosphere by making the level black, but it won't happen on a large scale. The large amount of teamwork involved in NS means that it just doesn't attract the kind of people who'll do anything to increase their kills.
  • Gecko_God_Of_DooomGecko_God_Of_Dooom Join Date: 2004-02-10 Member: 26353Members
    has someone shuggested adding a detailed texture pack, that would make it so people can't use black walls o dooom. if not do so in the I&S
    Well, there is a detail texture pack. It was made by the guys over in the customization forums. The thing is, there isn't a mapper approved set of detail textures. One of the devs would have to make a set of detail textures, and set up official detail textures for each of the maps.

Even then, I don't think it would make it into the game. Flayra seems to think that the exploit potential is too great to allow any type of detail textures, unless perhaps detail textures were always checked for consistency.
  • tigersmithtigersmith Join Date: 2004-11-11 Member: 32749Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    Can someone post a comparison between Detail textures and non detailed.
    I dont remeber what they look like.
  • AhnteisAhnteis teh Bob Join Date: 2002-10-02 Member: 1405Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    It's been mentioned a lot, but I believe the dev's are worried it'll add lots of dev time to b6.