Zombie Games?

UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko hates endnotes Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16320Members
<div class="IPBDescription">...or mods, scenarios or tweaks</div> See, I'm a bit behind the times, as I just watched the new Dawn of the Dead this week. However, this post isn't really about the movie, more about what kind of games it has made me now want to play.

It makes me want to play a GTA type game where you're in a city with a zombie infection spreading and suviving based on food and water and such...

...however, I know such a game doesn't exist.

The only actual zombie-like games I do own are Resident Evils and CS:Source with bots (and previously posted CS:Zombies type gameplay). I suppose what I'm looking for a is a game of epic survival against insurmountable odds. The only other game I own that I think I could make into such a game is AoE2 being a ranged unit and fending off peasants or something (but that's not very immersive or easy to properly control). I'm thinking one of the C&Cs might fit my needs, if there's a unit in one of them that is 'melee range' only and not overly tough (preferably the one with buildings you can enter that doesn't look as cartoony as Generals, but I forget its name).

...unless someone has a FPS with zombie-hurting/survival floating around (or scenarios or changes to games to make it that way, like CS:S). I have a fairly large assortment of games...but I don't think I can get any of them to be "Zombie survival" type games...maybe I should try RoN.

[I think my GTA:Zombie Survival would be awesome, especially if it had multiplayer]

Comments

• DragonMechDragonMech Join Date: 2003-09-19 Member: 21023Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    There is a Zombie mod for GTA.... would you be interested in knowing about games still in development?
  • TrevelyanTrevelyan Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14834Members
    edited June 2005
    Try out brainbread... HL1 mod that doesn't look the greatest but has a awsome theme.

<a href='http://www.ironoak.de/BB/index.php' target='_blank'>http://www.ironoak.de/BB/index.php</a>
  • cheetodogwacheetodogwa Join Date: 2005-06-04 Member: 53096Members
    If you're just looking for a good zombie game that isn't RE, imho, I'd say that House of the Dead 3 would be something to look at. Either the arcade or Dreamcast versions.
  • BulletHeadBulletHead Join Date: 2004-07-22 Member: 30049Members
    www.zombiepanic.com

I think that's the address
  • LikuLiku I, am the Somberlain. Join Date: 2003-01-10 Member: 12128Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-DragonMech+Jun 21 2005, 05:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (DragonMech @ Jun 21 2005, 05:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> There is a Zombie mod for GTA.... would you be interested in knowing about games still in development? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Still in development? I thought it was released. The one I played, for Vice City by the way, was pretty good, unfair, but good.
  • AllUrHiveRblong2usAllUrHiveRblong2us By Your Powers Combined... Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11244Members
    There's a great mutator for UT2K4 called Zombies of Evil or something, it's really fun and gives that "you against the world" kind of gameplay feel. The only problem is that you have to play with more than 1 person, since zombies only spawn when someone dies.
  • UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko hates endnotes Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16320Members
    edited June 2005
    <!--QuoteBegin-Liku+Jun 21 2005, 07:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Liku @ Jun 21 2005, 07:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-DragonMech+Jun 21 2005, 05:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (DragonMech @ Jun 21 2005, 05:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> There is a Zombie mod for GTA.... would you be interested in knowing about games still in development? <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Still in development? I thought it was released. The one I played, for Vice City by the way, was pretty good, unfair, but good. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm not sure how a GTA would actually run on my computer, but I'd be interested to hear information/experiences from them.

...BrianBread is okay...but it's more of a "You and some guys shooting at an endless hoarde...plus you're unstoppable, mwhahahaha...fear us, zombies!" thing going on.

Zombie Panic, based on what I'd heard about beta testing, seemed like more of a teamwork team vs team (although one team drains the others) kind of thing. While half-fitting, isn't quite what I'm looking for.
  • LikuLiku I, am the Somberlain. Join Date: 2003-01-10 Member: 12128Members
    Vice City ran perfectly fine on my computer, and it's a POS. The mod kinda changed things. Because there was 50 or so zombies at a time running at you.

The game starts of in Vice City's mall, at night, and the zombies are just pouring in. There's a timer that is somehow switched off by doing something in the Mall, I never found out how. This timer eventually kills you if don't complete the objectives. If you manage to get a car, one called "Romero's Herse" is parking lot so it fits the mood, you have to drive to the military base on the other island. By the time I got over there, the FPS dropped thank's to my computer, and I couldn't really do much else but die.

Here's a link to the download:
    <a href='http://www.fileplanet.com/152028/150000/fileinfo/Grand-Theft-Auto:-Vice-City---Long-Night-Zombie-Mod' target='_blank'>http://www.fileplanet.com/152028/150000/fi...ight-Zombie-Mod</a>
  • Crono5Crono5 Join Date: 2003-07-22 Member: 18357Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-cheetodogwa+Jun 21 2005, 07:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (cheetodogwa @ Jun 21 2005, 07:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> If you're just looking for a good zombie game that isn't RE, imho, I'd say that House of the Dead 3 would be something to look at. Either the arcade or Dreamcast versions. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There's two fixes here, one being changing Dreamcast to X-Box, the other being to change the number 3 to 2.

House of the Dead is a lightgun, on-a-rail type game (like Time Crisis or the old Area 51).

I believe an HL1 mod called Zombie Panic was released not that long ago.

If you're going to buy an X-Box 360, Capcom's going to have a zombie infestation slaughter game out for it. You should watch the trailer, looks pretty cool.

Don't forget that RE4 plays completely differently from the other RE games, although technically, in RE4, there are no zombies.

Hunter: The Reckoning. Good 4-player co-op shooter for any current console platform.

I'm not sure about real recent ones myself, these are all that I remember.
  • DragonMechDragonMech Join Date: 2003-09-19 Member: 21023Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2005
    <!--QuoteBegin-Crono5+Jun 21 2005, 08:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Crono5 @ Jun 21 2005, 08:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> If you're going to buy an X-Box 360, Capcom's going to have a zombie infestation slaughter game out for it. You should watch the trailer, looks pretty cool. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually, that's what I was refering to by "games still in development." There are 3 or 4 games I've read about in my GI magazine that are just gonna be zombie pwning awesomeness for the XboX 360.

[EDIT] One of which is being made by Romero himself. It can only kick ****. That is all.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Brainbread's beautiful
    Stubbs: The Zombie's coming soon
    That ought to be good
  • Omega_DeathOmega_Death Sith apprentice to a box of Cereal Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19042Members
    Anyone know of a single player game for free? Other than those listed above.
  • Speed_2_DaveSpeed_2_Dave Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8788Members
    We'll start with the easy stuff.
    A demo version of a UT2k4 mod for zombie horror/survival- <a href='http://www.fileplanet.com/154287/150000/fileinfo/UT2004---Out-of-Hell-Demo' target='_blank'>Out of Hell</a>

A Warcraft 3 Custom map(s) that is(are) <a href='http://redscull.com/swat/' target='_blank'>awesome</a>, but team-based.

I've been looking around for some fun zombie games myself, hopefully there will be some <b>good</b> ones out there that people know of.
  • AlienCowAlienCow Join Date: 2003-09-20 Member: 21040Members
    <a href='http://www.nomoreroominhell.com' target='_blank'>No More Room In Hell</a>

Will be AWESOME when it is released, but i'm sure it'll be ages before a beta or anything. I should think it pretty much fits what you're looking for. Maybe.

Have a looksie.
  • BlobbyBlobby Join Date: 2004-06-11 Member: 29234Members
    <a href='http://www.facewound.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.facewound.com/</a>
  • BreakthroughBreakthrough Texture Artist (ns_prometheus) Join Date: 2005-03-27 Member: 46620Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-Speed 2 Dave+Jun 22 2005, 12:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Speed 2 Dave @ Jun 22 2005, 12:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> We'll start with the easy stuff.
    A demo version of a UT2k4 mod for zombie horror/survival- <a href='http://www.fileplanet.com/154287/150000/fileinfo/UT2004---Out-of-Hell-Demo' target='_blank'>Out of Hell</a> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href='http://www.outofhell.net' target='_blank'>Out of Hell</a> looks promising, I can't wait to see it when it's finished.

/me installs UT2004
  • DaJMastaDaJMasta Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34750Members, Constellation
    Theres a mod I've been following for UT2004 for a while called Killing Floor. They already have a single player demo (and amazing atmosphere) but their final game boasts a whole bunch of levels, enemies, weapons, and even multiplayer gameplay.

Definitely worth a look in my opinion.
  • BadKarmaBadKarma The Advanced Literature monsters burned my house and gave me a 7 Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8260Members
    Anyone notice the "The Thing" reference in that No More Room in Hell website? Classy.
  • AlienCowAlienCow Join Date: 2003-09-20 Member: 21040Members
    edited June 2005
    <!--QuoteBegin-BadKarma+Jun 22 2005, 07:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (BadKarma @ Jun 22 2005, 07:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Anyone notice the "The Thing" reference in that No More Room in Hell website? Classy. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, and now I'm annoyed because I'm a fan of The Thing. Tell me!

Oh wait, the map? Eheh.
  • GreeGree Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16454Members
    I found a HL2 dm <a href='http://gdu.hl-improvement.com/index.php' target='_blank'>mod</a> that put never ending supply of zombies into the maps.
  • UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko hates endnotes Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16320Members
    Meh, that mod is pretty boring, the zombies just spawn right on top of each other and it's not really that interesting (plus it tends to lag it up a bit).

That "No More Room in Hell" mod does look pretty good, though; extermination mode sounds idiotic, but the other two seem more like what I'm going for. Too bad it's not out right now...

That Vice City mod just seems like a reason to go around shooting people more than a surivival game or anything. Oh well, continuing with the search (I think Stalker might work, if it's possible to set the enemeies to just zombies or something).
  • Fatal_ErrorFatal_Error Join Date: 2005-01-15 Member: 35840Members
    Sorry for bumping a rather old topic, but what about the They Hunger! TCs for HL?
  • SupernornSupernorn Best. Picture. Ever. Made. Ever. Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7608Members, Constellation
    <a href='http://www.zombiepanic.org' target='_blank'>www.zombiepanic.org</a>

If you can get a good game going of this, its fun.
    <!--QuoteBegin-Fatal Error+Jun 24 2005, 05:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Fatal Error @ Jun 24 2005, 05:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Sorry for bumping a rather old topic, but what about the They Hunger! TCs for HL? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think I tried that once, but it froze at one part where a zombie busts through a door (which was right at the beginning). Unless it's the retarded Vietnam - with zombies! mod...the name of which I've forgotten.

(That one mod with the shack and rain, that froze, seemed like it might have been good).

There's the Resident Evil HL mod...which isn't very good. I think it's just that the maps suck (and the zombies don't really do much), but it might be fun if you could actually get a few people and have them in an actual mansion or something...but the maps that came with it are pretty poor (especially the one on the street that has a huge HOM effect just looking down the street). I could probably map one, if I wasn't lazy, but I don't think anyone's playing that anyway.

Off that subject, and off-topic in my own thread (sort of): does anyone know the name of the C&C where you can have your soldiers enter buildings (and they can build their own little circular sandbag bunkers) and stuff? If you had a rocket launcher guy he could launch rockets out of the buildings too, and you could have building->building fights and such.

I just don't seem to be able to find the name of it (checked the IGN Command and Conquer reviews...but it might be under a different name or something). I think it had a unit and map editor that I might be able to fit to my purposes. If only I knew what it was called.

[Plus, this threads not <i>that</i> old; and I'm still looking for a suitable game...maybe I'll have to settle for Zombie Panic.]
  • RoverRover blargh Join Date: 2003-09-23 Member: 21139Members
    IF it doesn't have to be zombie, but just "marines VS...something" try 'the hidden: source'
  • BadKarmaBadKarma The Advanced Literature monsters burned my house and gave me a 7 Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8260Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-UltimaGecko+Jun 24 2005, 07:19 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (UltimaGecko @ Jun 24 2005, 07:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Fatal Error+Jun 24 2005, 05:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Fatal Error @ Jun 24 2005, 05:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Sorry for bumping a rather old topic, but what about the They Hunger! TCs for HL? <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think I tried that once, but it froze at one part where a zombie busts through a door (which was right at the beginning). Unless it's the retarded Vietnam - with zombies! mod...the name of which I've forgotten.

(That one mod with the shack and rain, that froze, seemed like it might have been good).

There's the Resident Evil HL mod...which isn't very good. I think it's just that the maps suck (and the zombies don't really do much), but it might be fun if you could actually get a few people and have them in an actual mansion or something...but the maps that came with it are pretty poor (especially the one on the street that has a huge HOM effect just looking down the street). I could probably map one, if I wasn't lazy, but I don't think anyone's playing that anyway.

Off that subject, and off-topic in my own thread (sort of): does anyone know the name of the C&C where you can have your soldiers enter buildings (and they can build their own little circular sandbag bunkers) and stuff? If you had a rocket launcher guy he could launch rockets out of the buildings too, and you could have building->building fights and such.

I just don't seem to be able to find the name of it (checked the IGN Command and Conquer reviews...but it might be under a different name or something). I think it had a unit and map editor that I might be able to fit to my purposes. If only I knew what it was called.

[Plus, this threads not <i>that</i> old; and I'm still looking for a suitable game...maybe I'll have to settle for Zombie Panic.] <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Dude, that mod was awesome, it was longer than some retail games.

He's talking about Heart of Darkness.
  • Speed_2_DaveSpeed_2_Dave Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8788Members
    Heart of Darkness was a lot of fun. You just had to make 2 saves or so for all the times it <b>crashed</b>. grrrrrr.

Oh, the C&C game would be C&C:Red Alert 2. It also featured the fun airplanes on the allies side. The only problem with it would be the crappy multiplayer.
  • wnnwnn Zombie Panic modeller Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16960Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Crono5+Jun 22 2005, 04:37 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Crono5 @ Jun 22 2005, 04:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->bla bla bla <u>Zombie Panic</u> bla bla bla<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

*cough* Recommend >_>

<!--QuoteBegin-Crono5+Jun 22 2005, 04:37 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Crono5 @ Jun 22 2005, 04:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->bla bla bla <u>RE4</u> bla bla bla<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

TONS of fun, highly recommended.

<!--QuoteBegin-Crono5+Jun 22 2005, 04:37 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Crono5 @ Jun 22 2005, 04:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--><u>Hunter: The Reckoning.</u> bla bla bla<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Kinda generic, but turns out to be really fun with a friend or two in co-op mode :)
  • TrevelyanTrevelyan Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14834Members
    Oh christ... how could i forget hunter the reckoning?

Great game... if you have a Xbox the thing should be dirt cheap by now.
  • HazeHaze O RLY? Join Date: 2003-07-07 Member: 18018Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-Gree+Jun 22 2005, 02:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Gree @ Jun 22 2005, 02:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I found a HL2 dm <a href='http://gdu.hl-improvement.com/index.php' target='_blank'>mod</a> that put never ending supply of zombies into the maps. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    *Bump*

How does this work? Do I need normal HL2 or just the deathmatch to use it?