Looking For An Old Game Title

UnderDOGUnderDOG Join Date: 2003-04-05 Member: 15221Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Space RTS</div> I just remember this really, really, old space rts/colony building game I used to play and am trying to find out what is was and see if I can get a copy. It is probably around 10 years old now.

The basic plot was that earth had been destroyed by aliens, and had sent out colony ships to other stars. Your ship was the second one sent to a particular star (Beta something) and you were supposed to meet the other one there. You get there and there is no trace of them.

It had a really cool 3d map of space, and the interface was somewhat similar to command and conquer, but there was no actual fighting, only auto resolved stuff. I also remember the name Calypso, though I don’t remember who that person was.

Can anyone help me out with a possible title for this game?

(Sorry if that was vague, that’s pretty much all I can remember)

Comments

• CyndaneCyndane Join Date: 2003-11-15 Member: 22913Members
    edited June 2005
    I found it, it is called Alien Legacy, released in 1994/3, for the PC.
    Published By: Sierra On-Line, Inc
    <a href='http://www.mobygames.com/game/alien-legacy/links' target='_blank'>Click me for more info woot!</a>

I win. :-)

*edit*
    <!--QuoteBegin-Website+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Website)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
    A spiritual descendant of the StarFlight series, you are in command of the UNS Calypso, a seed-ship sent by a war ravaged Earth. On the edge of annihilation from an alien race, you are to colonize a new star system and rekindle the light of mankind.

You will need to explore the new system, discover the secrets of the artifacts you find, and establish and maintain a base. Interracting with your crew, piloting your scout vessel, and micromanaging your base are all activities you will learn to excel in if you how to succeed.

As you progress, an overall story will unfold and you will find yourself in the midst of intergalatic intrigue.

In 2043, an alien probe is detected in our solar system. Attempts at peaceful first contact fail and an attempted missle barrage is launched at earth. While ABM systems are successful at destorying these, one missle does get through and it's power of destruction forces the earth government to consider the threat from the stars. Within the next several years, great technological leaps are made to make space travel a reality. Battlefleets are assembled and sent slowly across the vast distances to defend against the alien menace.

Now it's 2119. And earth is losing the war. Fearing extinction, Earth builds giagantic seedships, "arks" to propel people, machinery and the sum of human knowledge across the stars. The UNS Calypso, one of these seedships, is sent to Beta Caeli, the farthest star attempted yet. 15 years later, a second seedship, the Tauntalus is sent towards the same star to better our chances. The Tauntalus is equipped with a much faster engine so it should reach the star some 21 years ahead of the Calypso.

You are the captain of the Calypso. You've just come out of statis and your ship is orbiting the most habitable planet in the area. There is no sign of the Tauntalus. All you have is some 5000 colonists, some radio transmissions and a few key advisors to help you colonize this solar system anew.

The gameplay includes building and maintaining your bases on alien surfaces and space stations, resource management, the exploration of the planet, research of new innovations and discovered annomolies.

Your sucess at this and a progressive and branching storyline will ultimately determine whether the colony of Beta Caeli survives or fails.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • SinSpawnSinSpawn Harbinger of Suffering Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8359Members
    *gives Cyndane a cookie as a reward*

And we have a winnar!
  • CyndaneCyndane Join Date: 2003-11-15 Member: 22913Members
    I am the uber google master... :-)

Fear me.
  • Har_Har_the_PirateHar_Har_the_Pirate Join Date: 2003-08-10 Member: 19388Members, Constellation
    i dont know why, but wanta play starsiege now ( i dont care if the fighting mechnics are easy as hell, i thought that game was awsome and storyline brilliant)
  • UnderDOGUnderDOG Join Date: 2003-04-05 Member: 15221Members
    edited June 2005
    ooo nice, now, to find it

edit: <a href='http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/002-7794626-1786446' target='_blank'>w00t</a>
  • BulletHeadBulletHead Join Date: 2004-07-22 Member: 30049Members
    You sure it's not uh... um... shiza... just forgot >_>

Oh yeah!

Malkari!