System Shock 2 Problems

TommyVercettiTommyVercetti Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13390Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
edited March 2005 in Off-Topic
<div class="IPBDescription">Help please!</div> I've recently reinstalled System Shock 2 for a nostalgia trip. As soon as I tried to start the game I got a warning from Windows saying that it is not compatible with "this version of Windows" and that I should check ea.com. EA didn't publish SS2, so obviously there is nothing on SS2 at their site. Looking Glass did. Well, I patched (ver 2.3) and played anyways, and it seemed to work fine. However, sometimes when it's loading a new area or even if I just go into the main menu (basically if I do anything that causes the 3D environment not to be displayed) I have about a 1/3 chance of getting an error that says something like "direct3d provider returned incorrect memory amount," when I try to return to the 3D world. I'm not sure whether it's talking about video memory or RAM, but I want to fix this problem and enjoy my game.

So, if anyone here knows a way I can fix this annoying problem, please post it here or at least link me to some relevent info.

Oops... and my specs:
Athlon 64 FX-53, 1024MB PC3200 DDR400 RAM, X800 Pro VIVO, Audigy 2 ZS.
AFAIK (and I know) all my software and drivers are the most recent.

Comments

• cshank4cshank4 Join Date: 2003-02-11 Member: 13425Members
    Are you running it under compatibility for an older Windows? My friend had this same problem until he set it to run with Windows 98 compatability. You could also try upping or lowering your virtual memory. Might fix it.

sure fire way to fix any errors: Hammer, Credit card + Apple store.
  • PulsePulse To create, to create and escape. Join Date: 2002-08-29 Member: 1248Members, Constellation
    <a href='http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69958' target='_blank'>Read this.</a>
  • groKKingmImIgroKKingmImI Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34003Members
    this is your problem:
    -
    Symptoms:
    Graphical glitches may occur with these video
    cards, or the game may not load at all.

Reason:
    Unknown, possibly just due to outdated drivers.

Solution:
    Create a file called user.cfg in your System
    Shock 2 folder, or if the file is already
    present, open it for editing.
    Anywhere in the file enter the text:
    safe_texture_manager
    on a line of it's own. Save the file and run
    System Shock 2, your problem should be solved.

EXE Fix/Patch:
    None known.
    -
    I'm 60% sure of it. Enjoy the game, and make sure to get the hi-def mod.
    <a href='http://perso.wanadoo.fr/etienne.aubert/sshock/sshock_rebirth.htm' target='_blank'>http://perso.wanadoo.fr/etienne.aubert/ssh...ock_rebirth.htm</a>
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    edited March 2005
    safe_texture_manager

Put that in user.cfg, fixed it for me.

*edit* woops i need to read threads first XD
  • TommyVercettiTommyVercetti Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13390Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2005
    Thanks a lot, no more troubles.
  • TommyVercettiTommyVercetti Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13390Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is the stupidest save system I've ever seen. I accidentally click on an old save rather than my current one - and I'm all the way back to entering Ops from the end of Recreation. Bye bye, 3 hours.