Want To Enhance Your Server?

Comments

• DepotDepot The ModFather Members Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7956Posts: 6,411 Fully active user
    More clickies added. wink-fix.gif
    modNS Forums - NS1 and NS2: We Wrote The Book On NS Moddingimage
  • MamboMambo Members Join Date: 2005-03-17 Member: 45617Posts: 3
    i guess you could say rcon is "insecure" in that the password is transmitted to the server in plain text (as far as I know at least), so if someone was packetsniffing they could get the password
    but beyond that its not
    and yes you just have to set rcon_password, and then do rcon "command"
    quite usefull to bind a key to put you rcon password in, as it sometimes doesnt reset after a map change
    and as far as rcon being "dangerous", you can do way more damage to a system with amx than you ever could with rcon
  • VoronweVoronwe Members, Constellation Join Date: 2002-12-21 Member: 11297Posts: 25
    anyone know what's up with HLSW over the past few days?

it won't allow me to "get log (internet)" because it "can't detect your internet ip address"

is this because the HLSW site(s) are down?

if so, anyone know an IRC contact or anything or any info on when it will be up again?
  • DepotDepot The ModFather Members Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7956Posts: 6,411 Fully active user
    QUOTE (Voronwe @ Mar 17 2005, 11:25 PM)
    anyone know what's up with HLSW over the past few days?

it won't allow me to "get log (internet)" because it "can't detect your internet ip address"

is this because the HLSW site(s) are down?

if so, anyone know an IRC contact or anything or any info on when it will be up again?

HLSW has been down for 2 days, which is a royal pain in the arse, but whatcha gunna dew? This is highly irregular btw. mad-fix.gif
    QUOTE (Mambo @ Mar 17 2005, 11:25 PM)
    i guess you could say rcon is "insecure" in that the password is transmitted to the server in plain text (as far as I know at least), so if someone was packetsniffing they could get the password
    but beyond that its not
    and yes you just have to set rcon_password, and then do rcon "command"
    quite usefull to bind a key to put you rcon password in, as it sometimes doesnt reset after a map change
    and as far as rcon being "dangerous", you can do way more damage to a system with amx than you ever could with rcon

How to make this more secure: place your rcon password in a seperate config and name it "whatever.cfg". Then at the bottom of the server.cfg write "exec whatever.cfg". This way everytime your server config is executed the whatever.cfg is also, and your rcon password is secure since the packetsniffers can't go there. wink-fix.gif
  • MarineEaterMarineEater Members, Constellation Join Date: 2004-04-06 Member: 27760Posts: 22
    He means actually sending the packet.

In an RCON packet it has something like:

rcon "password" command

Your password is sent as clear text, and therefor packetsniffers can catch the password.
    user posted image <-- w00t
  • MrAgentMrAgent Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-05-19 Member: 16487Posts: 47
    A bump for Depot
    -MrAgent image
  • BryBry Members Join Date: 2003-01-23 Member: 12609Posts: 552 Advanced user
    QUOTE (MarineEater @ Mar 18 2005, 09:14 PM)
    He means actually sending the packet.

In an RCON packet it has something like:

rcon "password" command

Your password is sent as clear text, and therefor packetsniffers can catch the password.

indeed which is one of the main pros of amxmodx and such admin programs which authencate via steam id.
  • BlueNovemberBlueNovember hax Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-02-28 Member: 14137Posts: 1,669 Advanced user
    Well deserved bump.

WTS my two spare NS2 black-armour steam keys
  • nogoodnicknamenogoodnickname Members Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46172Posts: 480
    where that **** **** cunt**** custom loading music wt replaces ur gamestartup music when connecting to server, where does it even come. it should be banned coz its or they are just annonying except in crackhouse whers that arab style ambience thingy
    real nick: RNG
    QUOTE (nogoodnickname @ Apr 28 2005, 02:43 PM)
    where that **** **** ******** custom loading music wt replaces ur gamestartup music when connecting to server, where does it even come. it should be banned coz its or they are just annonying except in crackhouse whers that arab style ambience thingy

It's actually default music already installed in the valve/media folder. The plugin merely enables it during downlading.
  • nogoodnicknamenogoodnickname Members Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46172Posts: 480
    i just cant understand a **** about it. its just flipping ****
    real nick: RNG
  • SpiikeSpiike Members Join Date: 2005-01-14 Member: 35545Posts: 6 Fully active user
    i'm amazed nobody brought up the new metamod, not just the old, neways heres the link

http://metamod-p.sourceforge.net/
  • TheDestroyerTheDestroyer Tooobah Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-07-12 Member: 18123Posts: 737 Fully active user
    Another remote access program, The Overlord.

You can control up to five servers at a time remotely. I find this one very useful for my server running.
  • DrekDrek Members Join Date: 2002-12-19 Member: 11165Posts: 165
    Here's a better option for restarting your server when it crashes - better than Serverdoc as far as I am concerned, for a few reasons, not the least of which you don't have to "donate" if you don't want to have to download a new version every month.

(mEAn) ServerLoader
    QUOTE (Drek @ May 15 2005, 11:54 AM)
    Here's a better option for restarting your server when it crashes - better than Serverdoc as far as I am concerned, for a few reasons, not the least of which you don't have to "donate" if you don't want to have to download a new version every month.

(mEAn) ServerLoader

very true but it doesnt have one of the main features of serverdoc - beign able to start/stop swap configs via the web
    I don't mind downloading the update every few weeks, it's a minor inconvenience. ServerDoc pwnz. wink-fix.gif
    QUOTE (Depot @ May 24 2005, 06:13 PM)
    I don't mind downloading the update every few weeks, it's a minor inconvenience. ServerDoc pwnz. wink-fix.gif

or you could pay $11 and only do it once a year wink-fix.gif
    Don't tell anyone Bry, but I live on a pension and I can find better ways to spend $11.00. sad-fix.gif
  • DaJMastaDaJMasta Members, Constellation Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34750Posts: 692
    Maybe start up your own service to do it? Stretch the pension a little further and undercut the competition for just 10 measly dollars a year!

Im sure u of all people have the hardware/expertise necissairy wink-fix.gif
  • modiemodie Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-02-19 Member: 13758Posts: 116
    QUOTE (Depot @ May 24 2005, 01:13 PM)
    I don't mind downloading the update every few weeks, it's a minor inconvenience.  ServerDoc pwnz.  wink-fix.gif

Or you could wait until everyone screams and yells that your server is down and then turn it back on...

Smiles are $5 each
    Screams and moans are free...
    That has yet to happen, thank goodness. tounge.gif
    *** Thread U P D A T E D ***
  • digzdigz be still, maggot Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation Join Date: 2002-05-07 Member: 588Posts: 872 mod
    hmmm I guess this is a sticky worthy endeavor.
    NS Forum Moderator. Feel free to Message me.
    It only takes 2 bites [insert parasite] to get to the center of a meatpop.
  • ReKReK Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver Join Date: 2004-08-30 Member: 31058Posts: 708 Advanced user
    Are people still having problems with HLSW? It's giving me timeouts on servers that ping <50 in steam...

It also says that my NS server is a timed out UT2k4 server...
    Jumping send out a big hank cyclone, it will eddy original location in gallinaceous body, and pinch three times, opponent
    QUOTE (digz @ Jun 13 2005, 11:50 PM)
    hmmm I guess this is a sticky worthy endeavor.

Muchos Gracias digz! wink-fix.gif

@ReK: I've had problems, albeit occasional. with the last couple of HLSW updates. Either servers showing timedout or the classic "Can't detect your internet IP address".
    Master list updated with addition of NSSB Web Based Server Browser.
  • ModChaosControlModChaosControl HiveMind NS bot creator Members Join Date: 2004-03-31 Member: 27613Posts: 431
    Update for Depot: We are just Hivemind, not HiVeMiNd tounge.gif

Also our website is now http://hivemind.gamemod.net/ not http://hivemind.game-mod.net/
    Miasma Entertainment CEO
    http://www.miasma-entertainment.net

Hivemind AI Project Leader and Programmer.
    http://hivemind.gamemod.net/
    QUOTE (ModChaosControl @ Aug 5 2005, 08:53 AM)
    Update for Depot: We are just Hivemind, not HiVeMiNd tounge.gif

Also our website is now http://hivemind.gamemod.net/ not http://hivemind.game-mod.net/

Updated per your request! :>
    The topic has been updated.